Contact

Waiting

Byulyi loved Yongsun's glasses.  She always said Yongsun looked ugly in them, the frames were weird, her nose wrinkled awkwardly, but then Yongsun would be putting in her contacts, about to go to dinner, and Byulyi would lean against the bathroom doorframe whing,

"just wear your glasses!"

"but you said they were ugly?"

"it's faster this way."

One day Yongsun lost her contact solution.  She blinked fast, trying to conjure up water to keep the contacts she already had in wet, but to no avail.  Her eyes teared up, parched, and she quickly removed them.  

"Ugh," she rubbed her eyes, and fumbled around blindly for her glasses.  They were in the bathroom drawer somewhere.

"What are you doing?"

She squinted at the doorframe.  Byulyi was probably there, but all Yongsun could see were colorful blobs.

"I'm looking for my glasses."

Byulyi frowned.  She walked closer, coming into frame Yongsun could read her pout.  

She sighed, putting a hand on her hip.  "What?"

"Why can't you wear your contacts?"

"I lost my case.  The ones I already had on were so dry."

Byulyi looked down on the counter and saw the artifical green irises.

She frowned back up at Yongsun.

"Okay I'll go look for them."

Yongsun followed slowly, using her hand to trace the objects around her so she wouldn't get lost.  She stood by the foot of their bed, smirking vaguely in the direction of Byulyi.

"Why the long face?  I thought you liked my glasses?"

The blob in front of her shifted.  Yongsun couldn't see what kind of face she was making from here, so she just had to infer.

"I like your contacts too," Byul said simply.

Yongsun scoffed.  

"You always made a huge fuss whenever I wore them over my glasses."

Byulyi shrugged.  Yongsun squinted but she still couldn't even make out the shape of her.

"I like them both."  She stopped rustling around in her bag and walked back over to Yongsun.  "Here."

Yongsun gratefully accepted, sighing once everything came back into blessed HD.

The first thing she saw was Byulyi's somewhat guilty expression.  She narrowed her eyes.  "How did you find these so fast?"

Byulyi rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly.

"Byul."

"Um, I -um... I kind of hid them."

"You what?"

"I just wanted you to wear your contacts more often!"

Yongsun nearly exploded.  "But you always hated them!"

Byulyi blushed, her body contorted in the strangest way as she tried to knot herself up in embarrassment.  "I just -um- you just... you... you look very pretty with green eyes."

Yongsun was dumbfounded.

"That's it?"

Byulyi shrugged, still blushing, which was having the annoying effect of cuasing Yongsun to blush back.

"You looked kind of -erm- hot.  It was... nice, I dunno.  Whatever.  Your glasses are fine too."

She quickly turned around, but she had nowhere to go.

Yongsun grabbed her shoulder and brought them face to face once again.

She was smirking this time.

"This was all a plot?  Becuase you think I'm hot?"  She lowered her tone, whispered, "you think I'm y?"

Byulyi shuddered, but pushed her away just the same.  "That's not what I said, stop being annoying."

Yongsun was too amused to be angry anymore.

She made sure to refill her prescription the next day.  When she woke up she immediately ran to the bathroom to put them on.  Ever the light sleeper Byulyi followed her in shortly after.

"What are you doing?" she asked around a yawn.

Yongsun pinched one of the lenses between her fingers.  "Putting in my contacts."

Byulyi frowned.

"Why?"

Yongsun's jaw dropped.

"What do you mean why?  So I can see?"

Byulyi shrugged.  "But it's a weekend, you don't have to go all out."

Yongsun slammed her hand down on the counter.  "I don't believe you... what do you want of me?"

Byulyi backed up timidly.  "I don't know what you mean?"

"You say you like my glasses, then you say I look hot in contacts... which is it?"

Byulyi blinked at her 3 times in rapid succession.  Her arms were still up in defense.  "I just... both?  You look good in both but I mean... it doesn't matter what I think.  I just thought it'd be more comfortable for you to wear glasses on a Saturday.  I mean... you're not going anywhere today, right?"

Yongsun huffed, put her contact away and stormed out of the bathroom without brushing her teeth.

She didn't talk to Byulyi at all the rest of the day.

Finally, Sunday night, Byulyi was getting unnerved by the radio silence.  She sidled up next to Yongsun on the couch.  "What are you watching?"

"Nothing," Yongsun mumbled.

Byulyi eyed the tv.

"Looks like Scandal to me."

"Then why did you ask?"

Byulyi frowned.

"Why are you being so rude?"

Yongsun huffed, crossed her arms, not responding.

Byulyi crossed her arms too, and they sat like that in uncomfortable silence until the episode ended, and Yongsun abruptly shut off the TV and went to bed.

The problems of sharing a bed, where do you sleep when your roommate is pissed at you?  Byulyi pondered this as she sat down on the mattress.  Yongsun was facing away from her, but she wasn't asleep.  She looked too stiff to be truly sleeping.  Byulyi sighed, and tucked herself in under the blanket.  She stared at the back of Yongsun's head for a long time, wondering what to say.

After a moment, Yongsun rolled over.  Even in the darkness Byulyi could feel Yongsun's glare.

"What?"

Byulyi bit down on her lip.  The bit of light creeping in through the blinds illuminated Yongsun's face.  Most of it got caught in her eye; Byulyi could see her shining black pupils, her warm brown eyes.

"You just... your eyes look really pretty."

Yongsun exhaled steadily.

Byulyi reached over for Yongsun's hand, and her heart jumped when Yongsun didn't immediately pull away.  "I'm sorry," she began, "if I said something that offended you.  You look great no matter what you're wearing.  You don't need to try to impress me, or dress however I like."

Yongsun looked down.  She didn't let go of Byulyi's hand, in fact, she held it tighter, but it seemed like she was going to say something.  Byulyi waited.

After a while she started to get sleepy.  Even though the knot in her stomach wasn't 100% gone, she was happy that Yongsun was at least looking at her again.  She didn't remember what happened after that, if Yongsun forgave her, if they made up after that.  But in the morning when Byulyi walked into the kitchen, Yongsun was already awake, preparing breakfast.  She was honestly a terrible cook, but her food tasted like home, especially after a hard week of school.

Byulyi sat down at the table eagerly.  When Yongsun joined her on the other side, Byulyi saw that she was wearing her glasses.  She wanted to comment on how good they looked, but thought better of herself, and instead just started eating the rice.

"This tastes really good," she moaned.

Yongsun cracked half a smile.

"You like it?"

Byulyi nodded, eyes closed, savoring the taste.

"I love it."

Yongsun leaned her elbow on the table, pressing her fist into her cheek, watching Byul eat.  "Good."  Byul took another bite, chewing slowly, and Yongsun watched until she felt full.

"I gotta go to the bank today, and then I have that interview, so I'm going to figure out an outfit."

"But you haven't eaten yet?"

Yongsun smiled, squeezing Byul's shoulder as she walked by, "this meal was just for you."

"But-"

"Don't worry about me." Yongsun stopped, her hand on the bathroom doorknob facing away from Byulyi.  "Sometimes I just wanna do things for you, not for me.  She shrunk a little bit, "okay?"

Byulyi felt something drop down into the pit of her stomach.  It might have been a spoonful of rice.  (It might have been her heart.)  

"O-okay," she croaked.  

Yongsun entered the bathroom without another word.

AN: Surprise bonus chapter!  I had this thought after looking at Yongsun with green contacts.  She's so pretty right?   I'm whipped.