Waiting.

Waiting

AN: It's been a while.  I know I write a lot.  I intend to write other ships, try and diversify my catalogue on here, but for now I thought of a simple Moonsun.  I hope this captures their dynamic well.  I don't like changing them much, or doing stuff that's too OOC or AU because the reason I like them most is becuase of their real life friendship.  So here's an ode to that.

Also because I needed to write something comfortable and happy.  And for you guys who like writing, who like my writing, or anyone else's, I would encourage you to start writing!  There aren't many new MMM fic updates anymore, but I know there are a lot more people who read than write, so if you're ever inspired, I'd say just go for it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airplane seats are comfortable.  Comfortable after 10 hours of walking around in petty heels, carrying a you-sized bag around, smiling despite your stomach rumbles and your itchy neck.  Once Yongsun's hit the economy-class chair, everything in her melted.  She fell asleep.  When she woke up she was in Korea.  Her head was still on New York time, but her heart started to beat a little faster.  Hearing the intercom speak in her native tongue, seeing the glowing signs written in Hangeul.  

She yawned, pressed a fist to her eye as she tried to will herself awake.  The sounds, the smells, the sights... all were comforting, but nothing quite warmed her spirit as much as seeing Byulyi, messily drawn cardboard sign at the luggage area.  Yongsun told her not to pick her up, so Byulyi thought she would surprise her by showing up at baggage, instead of customs.

Yongsun sighed, rolled her eyes pretending to be angry, but inside her stomach flipped.  Byulyi immediately started taking Yongsun's carry-on's off her shoulders.  With one arm free Yongsun was able to accept her hug.

"You just don't know how to listen to your elders do you?"  Yongsun mussed up Byulyi's hair, and then buried her face in it, inhaling deeply.

Byulyi gripped onto her back tightly.  Yongsun hated public displays of affection, so maybe it was the jet lag that had her rooted to the spot a few moments longer than what was deemed socially acceptable.  She dug her fingernails into Byulyi's back.  "Missed you," she mumbled quickly, before whipping away to go find her suitcase.

--

Yongsun had been with her everyday.  She swore it was no big deal, but final exams were coming up, and a normal Yongsun would be frantically studying, in a state of near-panic until the semester was finally over.  Instead she had been with Byulyi in the hospital, sitting patiently by her side as her incisions healed, her brain relearned her body, her leg became sturdy enough to walk on.  Every day she begged the nurse to let her go home, but a week's worth of therapy turned into a month, and it was almost December, and Byulyi was seriously trying to figure out how to have her 22nd birthday party in her hospital bedroom.

But then one day as she was staring blearily up at the ceiling, the doctor came in, took her temp, checked her incision sights, went through their typical neuro-physical tests, and checked something off of her clipboard decisively.

"Okay Ms. Moon it seems you've overstayed your visit here plenty.  Seeing as you're at 99% function, I don't see why you can't continue your therapy at home.  Just take it easy, don't do any heavy lifting, perhaps try running on a treadmill instead of on a bumpy road but otherwise-"

"-you mean I can go home?"

"Yes," the doctor chuckled, "you can go home."

"Oh my god," Byulyi threw her head back down on her pillow, "I -thank you so much- I could kiss you right now!"  She blushed.  Biting her lip and looked away while the doctor laughed.

"I'm flattered, Byul-ah, but I'm pretty sure there is someone waiting for you outside this hospital for you to save that kiss."

Byulyi blushed harder, pulled her pillow over her head until the doctor left. 

She made arrangements for her sister Seulgi to pick her up.  Sure Seulgi was only 18, newly licensed, but Byulyi would rather not trouble her friends and family anymore.  Besides, the primary schools were all on vacation now (and Yongsun needed to study, which is why she really didn't want to call anyone else).

So imagine her surprise when the nurses are wheeling her outside (an obligatory goodbye practice) and there's Yongsun, holding up a sign with her name on it in bubble letters.

"Um, Unnie... this isn't an airport."  Byulyi laughed awkwardly.

Yongsun scowled and threw the sign at her.

"Why didn't you tell me you were getting discharged today?  I would have driven you!"

"Ha!  With you behind the wheel both of us were bound to wind right back up here."  Yongsun did not take well to Byulyi's joke.

"Get in the car Byul."  She didn't bother helping Byulyi up (not that she really needed the help, she just needed Yongsun, wanted Yongsun).  She buckled herself in quietly, waving off the nurses who were looking at her sympathetically.  She covered her face with her hands.  Forget having someone strip and bathe you, nothing was more embarrassing than having people watch you get cold shoulder.

Once they were on the road Yongsun finally spoke again.

"I'm mad at you, you know that right?"

Byulyi nodded miserably.  "I'm sorry I bothered you so much.  I was trying to hurry up and get better but the stupid doctors wouldn't let me go."

Yongsun gaped.  She wouldn't look away from the road but Byulyi could almost feel the anger radiating off of her.  

"You think that's why I'm mad at you?"

"Um..." Byulyi twiddled her thumbs together, "...yes?"

Yongsun sighed.  "You're such an idiot."  They approached a red light, and Yongsun whipped her head toward her, sending off such a glare it could probably melt steel.  "Why did I hear from Seulgi and not you that you were leaving the hospital today?  Why didn't you let me pick you up?  Did you..." her fingers tightened around the steering wheel, "did you really not want me here today?"

Byul waved her hands in alarm, "no no, god no!  I just... I thought you were getting sick of looking after me?  I've been recovering for so long, and you have other things to worry about."

Yongsun sighed again.  The light turned green so she had to look back out at the road. "You're such an idiot, Byul-ah.  You know my number one worry is you right?  It's always you."

Byulyi bit her lip, tried not to think so hard about that statement; feel so hard.  

She couldn't look at Yongsun, which was just as well; Yongsun was blushing too, and hoping hard that Byulyi wouldn't see.

"Okay," she murmured.  Then -still without looking- she reached over, and squeezed Yongsun's thigh.  "Thank you."

--

Starbucks lines were always long.  Yongsun stared at her watch for the umpteenth time that minute.  The person behind her scoffed -annoyed- but Yongsun couldn't care less.  So she wasn't a crazy coffee addict, like these other losers, so what?  Normally she wouldn't even be here if not for-

"I'm back!"  Byulyi bent over, panting heavily after her sprint.  "Thanks for saving my spot!"  

Yongsun rolled her eyes -a trademark reaction to Byulyi doing just about anything- and moved over so Byulyi could rejoin her in line.  The person behind her scoffed again so Yongsun coughed loudly, and tilted her head, hoping they would be threatened even without her turning around.

"Yeah yeah," she said airily.  Almost an hour of waiting in line and she still couldn't decide what she wanted.

"Just get the hot chocolate," Byul said.  It was as if she was reading Yongsun's mind.

"That's not what I was thinking, I-" Yongsun uncrossed and then recrossed her arms, "I'm just wondering why this line is taking so freaking long."

"I told you Unnie, it's a special event.  One of these cups might have a special code for a free ticket to an f(x) concert!"

Yongsun raised an eyebrow.  "Only one code?  Then what am I doing here?"

Byulyi latched onto her arm, whining "unnie" in that sickeningly sweet voice that Yongsun fell for every time.

"Fine."  Her eyes might permanantly get stuck at the back of her head.  

She didn't hear the person's scoff this time.  Byul's voice was still ringing in her head.  She couldn't remember what she was going to order.  Byulyi must have done everything because by the time Yongsun came to they were sitting at a table with their receipt.

She chuckled tiredly.  "Why do I always do these things for you?"

Byulyi poked herself in the cheek.  "Because I'm cute?"

Yongsun scoffed, mumbled, "but you are cute" and then none of them said another word until the coffee came.

(They didn't get the golden ticket, but the coffee still tasted good).

--

Byulyi has always been a light sleeper.  Nightmares, her little sisters crying, even just a little wind would keep her up at night.  But years later she had developed a sort of system.  She got one of those nature-sound machines, and she would keep her room completely pitch black.

At least... that was until Yongsun moved in.

"Rent is cheaper this way," Yongsun reasoned.  She had her suitcases inside Byulyi's bedroom before Byulyi could even argue.  (Not that she would've anyways.)

Being roommates with a friend can sometimes be challenging.  Yongsun was very organized, and they always got into little fights about Byulyi leaving her socks thrown everywhere, or drinking straight out of the milk carton.

"For the last time, Byul, I'm not interested in sharing your germs."

"You've used my toothbrush before!"

"It was a mistake!"

"You did it FIVE TIMES."

But most of the time Yongsun was a low-maintenance friend.  She was never picky about where they went to eat, and nothing would wake her up, so Byulyi could have her music on at night and not worry about bothering Yongsun if she went to bed early.

Unfortunately, she had developed a bad habit when it came to things being the other way around.

Tonight for instance, or this morning, she should say... it was almost 4am, and Yongsun was still awake in the other room.  Her headphones were plugged in out of courtesy, but she was still humming a little under hear breath.  For her final project she was finishing edits on her modern music theory song.  It wasn't even a requirement, it was an extra credit assignment, but Yongsun jumped at the opportunity to get more experience with producing.

After she got rejected from the last internship she applied to she had been deeply depressed until this assignment brought her back to life.  The apartment had been strangely gloomy at that time.  Byulyi always used to complain about Yongsun singing in the shower, or monopolizing their shared Netflix account.  But back then she wouldn't sing as much.  She wouldn't eat, she wouldn't watch TV.  Byulyi didn't realize that without Yongsun carefully curating their Netflix queue, she had no clue what to watch.

Now it was 4:07 and Byulyi rolled over again, squeezing her eyes shut and trying to think of sheep or some .  Nothing worked.  Finally at 4:15, she heard the door creak.  Yongsun padded in as quietly as possible, and slipped into bed.

(They had one bed.  It was a queen size mattress but they saved money by sparing themselves on the bedframe.  Either way it worked.  Yongsun was good at being economical, and Byulyi was getting good at sharing.)

Byulyi shifted closer to her on instinct, and Yongsun sighed.  Rolling over, she reached under the blanket to find Byulyi's hand.  She squeezed it.  "Sorry," she whispered.  Her breath smelled like mint.  "I was trying not to wake you."

Byulyi shook her head, snuggled closer, "I wasn't sleeping anyway."

Yongsun whined.  "Was I being too loud?  I swear I'm so annoying, I'll buy you earplugs next time-"

Byulyi shook her head again, "don't" and yawned, "I'm just a bad sleeper."

"Really?"  Yongsun began her hair absentmindedly, and Byulyi's eyes fluttered closed.  Her limbs felt heavier than they had all night; her body was warm, and quiet.  "But you fall asleep so quickly some other nights."

"Mm-hmm," Byulyi nodded her head into Yongsun's chest.  The first few times she did this Yongsun got embarrassed, pushed her away.  Byulyi said her 'rack' was impressive, and Yongsun blushed and hit her.  Don't say things like that!  Byulyi shrugged.  It's the truth.

Yongsun was Byulyi's go-to place for comfort.  Like a security blanket but she was always warm, and never wrinkled, and she smelled like vanilla, and sometimes, if they were in private, she would hug Byulyi back.

"Okay," Yongsun yawned, suddenly feeling sleepy.  "I'm gonna go to sleep too."

She began to roll over, as she always did, but Byulyi clutched onto her shirt.

"Stay?"

Yongsun blinked once.  

"I... is this... is this comfortable for you?"

Byulyi yawned, nodded again.

Yongsun was still frozen on the spot, and after a while Byulyi began to come to, started to let go -embarrassed- before Yongsun settled in more comfortably, holding Byulyi close, hand tangled up in her hair, nose smushing into Byul's forehead.  She yawned.  "This okay?"

Byulyi nodded, feeling warm all over.

Yongsun yawned again, nuzzling into her like a little puppy, trying to mold Byulyi into the most comfortable shape for her body.  It took some maneuvering, but they figured it out eventually.

Then it was quiet.  

Even though they both should've been sleeping (it was almost 5am) Yongsun spoke again, unusually talkative for a chronic napper.

"Why were you up so late?"

Byulyi shrugged.  Her voice came out scratchy and sleep-laden.  "Guess I was waiting for you."

Yongsun's mouth shifted against her skin.  Byulyi guessed it was something like a smile.  "Why?"

Byulyi snuggled closer.  "I'm always waiting for you."

Yongsun waited for a moment, letting the moment wash over her.

"Yeah," pecked the crown of Byulyi's head, "I'll always wait for you too."