003

Silent Sorrows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

003

 

 

Author’s POV

            It was Monday night and Jiyeon was checking the patient’s list at her table before her work hour came to an end. There were a few other colleagues in the department but everyone was doing their own things. Two minutes before her shift ended, Jiyeon began tidying her table as usual.  As she was on her way out, her colleagues wished her goodbye since the next day would be her day off. She happily waved at them before exiting the hospital and went straight to the car. Once she settled on the driver seat, her phone suddenly rang. Expecting Chanyeol, she took the phone and slightly stunned upon seeing the caller’s name. It was Myungsoo. She’s certain that she never gave him her number. She did try to call him once but he didn’t even answer so how could have he known her number. After a while, she eventually decided to answer the call anyway since there’s no point avoiding him anymore because he could appear in the hospital in the most unexpected time.

“Hello.”

“Hm Jiyeon-ah, did you finish work already?” He asked without even properly greeting her first.

“I’m about to leave the hospital. Why?” She asked back in monotone.

“I just wanna remind you about lunch tomorrow. I’ll be waiting.”

“Do you have cooking ingredients at home?” Jiyeon questioned.

“Nope. But I do have beer in my fridge.” He answered.

“Then I can’t go. I don’t have anything I could cook for you at my house too. I planned on going out grocery shopping tomorrow so you should just eat out.” Jiyeon suggested, somehow proud that she found an excuse to not go.

“I’ll join you grocery shopping then. I’ll wait for you in front of J supermarket at ten. Goodbye for now, see you tomorrow.”

Before Jiyeon could even refuse or find another excuse, Myungsoo already ended the call. It was really fast as if he knew if he waited any longer, he had to deal with more excuses. Jiyeon sighed before she threw the phone onto the passenger seat and drove away. There’s nothing to be worried about. I can just go shopping somewhere else. Jiyeon thought.

 

 

“Why the hell did I end up coming here?!”

Jiyeon exclaimed as she parked her car at J supermarket’s parking lot. She placed her head on the steering, mentally scolding herself for being so inconsistent. She made up her mind this morning when she came out from the house that she would avoid Myungsoo with all her might but in the end she actually took a route to the place he suggested last night anyway.

“It’s okay! Myungsoo may not even come. Guys always sleep till afternoon, at least that’s how Chanyeol is whenever he’s on his day off.” Jiyeon convinced herself while she left the car.

She carefully took a walk towards the entrance, checking whether Myungsoo was really waiting for her at the entrance. She sighed in relief because when she reached the entrance no one was waiting for anyone there. She checked her wristwatch and it’s already 10.15 a.m. so Myungsoo might really not come since it’s already later than he suggested. People were going in and out through the entrance. She could finally do her thing without being bothered by any thoughts. Jiyeon confidently walked into the supermarket taking a trolley with her. But to her surprise, as soon as she walked through the entrance, she saw Myungsoo’s back at the customer service counter checking the discount for the day pamphlet.

“!” Jiyeon whispered before she pushed the trolley to the other side, running away since Myungsoo hasn’t seen her, or has he?

“So what are you gonna cook today?”

“Omma!” Jiyeon screamed as she flinched when Myungsoo was already next to her, asking question out of the blue. Jiyeon quickly bowed slightly to the people around as they seemed to be surprised by her sudden scream too, “Can you at least greet me first!” She scolded Myungsoo.

“You’d still be surprised even if I greet you first, since you’re running away.” Myungsoo said, not acknowledging his fault, but at the same time still making point.

Couldn’t refute him, Jiyeon just increased her speed causing Myungsoo to slightly running to catch up with her. Slowly adapting to having Myungsoo following around, Jiyeon finally used him as a runner. She wrote the list of ingredients needed and told him to get them all for her while she was happily doing the food tasting around the place. Once she went back to the trolley, it was already filled with lots of things although some of them weren’t even in the list. She looked around and saw Myungsoo was approaching with carrots and cucumbers in his left arm while checking the list on his right hand. Jiyeon unknowingly chuckled seeing his seriousness.

“Oh Jiyeon, you’re here. I think I’m done.” He told as soon as he reached Jiyeon at the trolley. He handed out the list to Jiyeon, signaling her to check them.

Jiyeon looked inside the trolley and checked whether he already got everything. She only nodded as an acknowledgement and that only was enough to make Myungsoo proudly smiled at his achievement, “Let’s go get some tofu. Aside from bibimbap, I think of making spicy braised tofu too. Do you like tofu?” Jiyeon looked at Myungsoo next to her, asking for confirmation.

“Of course!” Myungsoo answered while enthusiastically nodding, showing an obvious excitement.

“What about Japanese tofu?” Jiyeon asked again.

“Yeah I prefer Japanese tofu!” He excitedly exclaimed.

“Then let’s go!”

While excitingly laughing together, they made their way to hunt the Japanese tofu. As Myungsoo pushed the trolley, Jiyeon was at his side telling a story about her previous housemate being so bad at cooking and almost ended up burning the house because of it. Without Jiyeon herself realizing, she was getting comfortable and actually having fun although she was reluctant in the first place. As they passed by the frozen food section, Myungsoo urgently stopped because he almost crashed onto someone who appeared out of nowhere, did not saw them coming too.

“Oh we’re sorry.” Jiyeon quickly apologized.

Once the girl turned around to respond to her, they all exclaimed in unison upon seeing someone they knew, “Jiyeon-ah it’s you. Myungsoo you’re here too.”

“I didn’t expect to meet you here Soomin.” Jiyeon said as they gave each other a friendly hug.

“Are you alone?” Myungsoo suddenly asked, noticing Soomin’s pupils were actually shaking.

“Oh I… yes, I’m alone.” Soomin said as she nervously glanced at the section she came out from just now.

“Really?” Jiyeon asked whilst checking the section, noticing Soomin’s eyes.

“Why would I be lying?” She sheepishly laughed, “What about you two? By any chance—”

“No!” Jiyeon promptly denied, knowing really well what she’s thinking, “We just accidentally bumped into each other, right?” Jiyeon looked at Myungsoo, sending him an urgent signal.

“That’s true. Jiyeon has a boyfriend now, and I have no intention of snatching anyone’s girlfriend. It’s gonna hurt my pride.” Myungsoo answered, staring straight at Soomin who looked rather uncomfortable.

“I got it. Then… I have to go now. See you guys sometimes later. Jiyeon, don’t forget you owe me a lunch.”

“Of course. I’ll text you back later. See you.”

Soomin then made her way back to the section while Jiyeon walked forward, hunting for tofu. Myungsoo only watched Jiyeon’s back before he slightly stepped backward; looking into the section Soomin disappeared into just now. There he saw what he was expecting, Soomin and a man next to her, urgently walked away with the man’s grip on her wrist. When he man slightly turned his head to the side, Myungsoo could see Chanyeol’s side profile. Yes, it was Chanyeol again, exactly as Myungsoo guessed. His eyes were fixed on them, coldly watching until they disappeared from his sight.

“Myungsoo, what are you looking at?” Jiyeon’s voice surprised him. He looked at Jiyeon and she was actually standing next to him which he didn’t know for how long but she certainly looked at the way he was looking at just now.

“Did you see?” Myungsoo asked, testing the water.

“What did you see?” Jiyeon asked him back.

“A grim reaper?” He innocently answered, causing Jiyeon to crack up.

“Stop being ridiculous. You’re not dying. Let’s go.”

“Yeah, let’s go.”

 

---

 

            They arrived at Myungsoo’s apartment by Jiyeon’s car. As soon as they entered the apartment, Jiyeon went straight to the kitchen and told Myungsoo to help preparing the ingredient with her. He gladly did so, although he seemed to hesitate a lot since he probably never cook except for instant noodles of course. He washed the vegetables and gave them to Jiyeon for her to cut them prettily. Before Jiyeon began seasoning and cooking the vegetables, she taught Myungsoo how to cook rice and ordered him to do it to save time. Being a fast learner, he did the job nicely. Once everything is done, they began arranging all the vegetables and seasoned beef onto the rice on their own plate. They finished up with egg yolk and sesame seed.

“That doesn’t look appetizing at all.” Jiyeon mocked Myungsoo’s bibimbap as it didn’t look as neat as hers.

“Would still taste the same as yours though.” Myungsoo jutted out his lips, not wanting to lose.

“Hahaha alright then. Please bring this to the dining table. I’m gonna serve the soup.” Jiyeon ordered and Myungsoo followed without any complaints.

He was already seated with chopsticks and spoon on his hands as Jiyeon came out from the kitchen bringing a soup. She put the bowl on the table before taking her seat facing Myungsoo.

“Thanks for the food!” Myungsoo said before he began mixing his bibimbap.

“Thanks for the food!” Jiyeon followed suit and looked at her plate to mix hers, but then she was stunned for a few seconds seeing the hastily done arrangement, totally different from the one she made previously. She lifted up her face and looked at Myungsoo who was eating so scrumptiously, “This is yours, right?”

“Correct! Just eat it. It’ll taste the same anyway.” Myungsoo urged, and Jiyeon only pouted as she had no other choice other than eating it.

 

            They’re done washing the dishes with their full tummies. Both of them went to the living room as Jiyeon decided on taking a rest whilst waiting for them to be hungry again then she would cook the spicy braised Japanese tofu as she promised Myungsoo. She sat on the couch and switched on the TV, as if it was her own house. But Myungsoo didn’t say anything and he only took a seat on a larger couch right across Jiyeon. He lied down and took out his phone before began playing game. Attracted by the game’s sound effects, Jiyeon tilted her head to the side to look at Myungsoo. Instead of watching the TV, she naturally shifted to watching Myungsoo. His face was expressionless as his eyes were fixed on the phone screen. His thumbs were swiftly moving, fighting for victory. Jiyeon kept staring, as if Myungsoo would disappear if she lost sight on him even for a second.

 

“Myungsoo, can you stop playing games and help me with this math problem?” Jiyeon told, annoyed as Myungsoo wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter