Wine Nights

Wine Nights

He was going to need another glass of wine. Before Joon left on his week-long solo promotions he made sure to tell him exactly how much trouble Jungkook was in at school and how the teachers were requesting a conference with the parents. Si Hyuk was always nominating Jin and Namjoon for the role of parents ever since fans had given them the nicknames. Jin was sure Jungkook would prefer them being called over his parents but it didn't mean he had to like it.

 

This would ultimately lead to several minutes of intense questioning and suspicious gazes before the teacher finally relented and started talking about the real reason they were there. It wasn't his first conference since Bangtan came together but he was hoping he wouldn't have to face another with only one kid still in school. No such luck.

 

Jungkook was great until his attention waned. He reminded Jin a lot of a puppy, the way he needed reassurances and constant attention to stay focused. In a class of 34, he just wasn't getting that attention. Nothing the teacher was saying was new to Jin so he just tapped his slender fingers against the desk in an attempt to get his frustration across without actually being rude.

 

“I know that this may come as a shock but I really think you should consider letting Jungkook stay at home for the remainder of his year. He can still sit tests and eventually his college qualification exams but this isn't working day-to-day.” At those words Jin's hand had frozen mid beat and his eyes zeroed in on the hamster-looking teacher.

 

His mousy eyes meet Jin's in a battle of wills but Jin was determined to win this battle. He always did. Everyone was quick to underestimate him after sensing the motherly vibe everyone claimed he put off a mile away but they never took into account his ferocity when his adopted children were under fire.

 

“I think you should reconsider what you just suggested. Do you really think that we have time on top of our schedules to sit down and make a whole class just for Jungkook? I believe we are paying you to do that. Surely if you could handle our Taehyung,” the man visibly winced, “you can handle this gentle boy.”

 

“It isn't him being out of control or causing a disturbance,” the unspoken ‘like Taehyung’ held in the air, “it's about him not being able to get the attention he needs to go about his work.”

 

“And you seem to think asking him to learn from six other boys barely older than him will get him a better education than what he's receiving here?” He shot Jungkook a look but the other boy was staring out the window. Jin tried to nudge him discreetly but the youngests’ teacher followed the movement with his eyes and quirked an eyebrow.

 

“I feel like he's demonstrating my point exactly. Even with only two people here discussing his future, he's unwilling to put forth the effort.”

 

“Now you're changing your tune-” he was cut off by the teacher snapping the agenda between them closed.

 

“Our time is up. I hope you seriously think about this.” Jin sighed and as they were drove back to the dorms he called Namjoon to explain. This proved to be the wrong thing to do as Jungkook grabbed the phone and started encouraging Namjoon to side with the teacher. It only took six minutes before the leader broke and agreed to ask Si Hyuk about tutoring.

 

This all led Jin to the bottles of wine they kept in the kitchen. It was going on 11p.m. and while Jin wanted to break out the second bottle, he was feeling a bit lonely. The other members were all busy doing other things, from watching a movie to playing video games obnoxiously in the other room. No one wanted to join in on his pity party. Usually Namjoon would take a break and join out of sympathy but he wasn't even in the same country at this point and video chatting could only do so much.

 

He scrolled through his phone contacts until his eyes fell on one in particular. Someone who would understand his struggles. It only took a second of deliberation before he smashed the phone icon and listened to the ringing hopefully.

 

“Hello?” The voice sounded a bit groggy but it was expected. It was just his regular tone until he got excited about something.

 

“Hyun Woo~” At this point Jin was already tipsy and was breaking out his baby talk. He didn't want to be a parent for once. Only a few years separated all the members, they could take care of themselves for one night. “Shownu~”

 

“Are you drunk? Why would you use my stage name?”

 

“Come over. We need a parents night in.”

 

“Jin? Are you okay?”

 

Eventually Hyunwoo came over solely to check on the younger and was relieved to find that while the dorm was chaotic, it was in one piece. Jin was leaning heavily on the counter in the kitchen until his eyes focused on who was in front of him.

 

“I'm so happy you showed up!” He pushed himself off of the counter with a laugh and fanned himself. “You need a drink. Pronto.” Hyunwoo just shrugged and accepted the pink drink that found it's way into his hands a few moments later. He needed a break anyway.

 

“What is this?”

 

“Wine with a twist. It's what Joon always drinks when I get out my glass because wine doesn't effect him near as much as me.”

 

“It's one thing we share in common then.” And with that, he dumped the contents down his throat and asked for another.

 

As the night wore on, it found them both sitting on the island in the middle of the kitchen. They were both wearing aprons and talking animatedly to each other, free in a way they wouldn't be while sober. Hyunwoo had forgone his shirt before donning the ‘#1 dad’ apron as part of a demonstration long forgotten by that point. Something about impractical blacksmithing.

 

“Minhyuk keeps practicing his horse impressions and now he's got the others doing it too. It wouldn't be that bad except they now use it as an alarm clock because a fan posted about it in the cafe online.”

 

“I'm happy that Hoseok resents his nickname then. I couldn't deal with that.”

 

“So what started this again?” Hyunwoo knew exactly which questions to ask so that Jin did most of the taking, which was fine by both of them. He always made sure to nod in the correct places and give a disapproving noise when Jin admitted how much of a pushover Namjoon was.

 

“I can't say much, I'm the same way. Kihyun is always the one doing the actual teaching.”

 

“I guess we got our parent roles for a reason.” They both went quiet for a while, listening to the noises coming from the other side of the wall. Taehyung was yelling about not getting his turn and it was all so predictable the two oldest in the house broke into smiles.

 

“We all got our roles for a reason it seems.”

 

“I can make some pretty good dad jokes. Joon never appreciates them though.” Jin looked dejected enough that Hyunwoo took pity. He only made it to the third joke before he had to tap out though.

 

“You’re too much. Maybe you and Namjoon should switch. I take back my earlier statement.” He was cringing so hard his eyes had all but disappeared and Jin's windshield-wiper laugh rebounded off of the small walls.

 

“I’d love to see him try and wake up Yoongi in the mornings. Or get Taehyung to sit still during make-up.” They both dissolved into laughter until a grumpy Yoongi made an appearance.

 

“And here comes Uncle!” Jin threw himself off of the counter and into Yoongi's side. The younger had tried to sidestep it completely but he looked half-asleep and didn't quite manage to throw off the affections.

 

“You let him in the wine?” Hyunwoo shrugged. He didn't really know Min Yoongi all that well besides the occasional talk they'd have backstage but Kihyun was close to him and that gave him a bit more courage.

 

“He needed a break before he broke.” Yoongi narrowed his eyes at the lame attempt towards a joke before mumbling under his breath. All Hyunwoo caught was something about fitting in.

 

“Yoongi, you're taking too long!” Hoseok appeared in the doorway Jin was now clinging to since Yoongi had given him a push a moment ago before making his way over to the hot chocolate packets. “You didn't tell me we'd have company!” Hoseok bounded over towards Hyunwoo and it was eerily similar to a scene he had witnessed at his own dorm before he left from Jooheon towards Hyungwon. “I'm Jung Hoseok. I see you often but I'm not sure we've ever met officially!”

 

“All the adults are gathered except Joon now. And Hyunwoo has his spot covered.” Jin looked determinedly happy about this fact and while it got a question from Hoseok and a small conversation going between the three closest to the living room, Yoongi all but ignored them.

 

“You guys are just sad.” He shook his head but later he joined them and though it was a bit different than the comfortable dynamic they were all accustomed to at the Bangtan dorms, it was still easy going. One hour became two and then four and suddenly Hyunwoo was getting ready to leave.

 

“We should do this properly sometime. An official BTS / MonstaX night.” This got enthusiastic nods from Hoseok and Jin, both being quiet so as not to disturb the sleeping forms curled around each other on the couch. Yoongi clasped his mug in both hands and gave a quick nod but Hyunwoo wasn't fooled by the icy act when Yoongi was clutching his sugary drink so tightly. It had surprised him when he learned the hot chocolate was for Yoongi and Hoseok finished Jin's second bottle of wine with them but he knew better than to laugh. It would spell certain death he wasn't willing to face from someone half his size.

 

He bid them all a goodnight and made his way home, all the while thinking of stories he could tell next time. Suddenly, s acting out didn't seem so bad as their Wednesday nights would be now filled with dramatic re-enactments from the younger ones and shared glasses of wine between the eldest ones. He was content, even as he walked in on the mess that made up the front hall and living room.

 

After a stubbed toe and a few careful steps he was back in his room. Kihyun was still up at the desk and he got a smile in return for his entry.

 

“Is everyone asleep?”

 

“Yeah, they all went to sleep pretty quickly after you left. How was it?”

 

“It was nice. How do you feel about Wine Wednesdays?” It had been a joke Namjoon had come up with when Jin texted him the idea earlier in the night.

 

“With BTS? Or just a personal relief from your hectic life?” A smile danced on Kihyun's lips and Hyunwoo didn't know whether or not to be offended. He decided it didn't matter. Kihyun was always spouting off-handed insults masked as innocent questions to the untrained eye and Hyunwoo couldn't be arsed to care about it with the alcohol still running in his veins. It wasn't like Kihyun even realized he was doing it at this point.

 

“With BTS. You'd get to see Yoongi more.” Hyunwoo collapsed on his bed, ready to tuck in for the night when the top bunk rattled. He shot Kihyun a look of desperation when a plea for water made it's way out from under the covers above him. He got an eye roll but Kihyun disappeared in search of the water anyway. When he sauntered back into the room, both occupants of the bunk beds were fast asleep.


“Typical.” He laughed lightly and turned off the lamp on the desk they had managed to cram in between the beds. “But mine.” He laid down and pulled the covers up to his chin. Next week would find him across the table from all seven members of the other group but right then he was too tired to think too much about it. Sleep came easily when all s were finally home.

 

 

-------------------------------------------

 

A/N: This was actually really fun to write. Hope you enjoyed it <3 Check out others on my profile here or on my Archive Of Our Own account "asunae"