Less Than Ideal Morning

Miracle of Love - Changmin

A constant dull ache engulfed your body, pulling you out of your dreams and back into reality, with the sun basking over the top of your sheets. Rolling over onto your back, you lifted your hands and rubbed the sleep away from your eyes. Pain slowly accompanied both sides of your body as well as above and below your waist, feeling the pain slightly higher than the days before, you already knew that it was going to be a rough day for you.

Laying in bed, you reached over to your side table and pulled over your phone, still keeping it connected to the charger, you pressed a button as the screen lit with life. Seeing the list of notifications clustered on your home screen, you scrolled through them as you tapped on the first one you wanted to answer.

As the message pulled up, you closed your eyes for a moment while the dull pain slightly increased for a moment as you adjusted yourself among the sheets before finding another comfortable position. Letting your body slowly sink back into the mattress, you thumbed through your phone trying to catch up on the activities and the lives of your friends that they posted about on social media. Finding your mind wandering with each scroll of your thumb, you quickly reached the end of your feed, to where the posts began to look familiar to the night before.

Tapping the top button, it scrolled back up to the top as you refreshed the page just to see no new posts. Sighing softly, you let your hand fall onto the sheets, looking up to the ceiling, you sighed softly still feeling tired from the night before. Closing your eyes once again, you began to drift in an out of sleep once again, trying to sleep off the soreness in your joints. You slowly woke to the pain surrounding your body once again as a vibration soon followed originating in your hand where your phone was placed.

Sliding your thumb across the screen you tapped the new message at the top of your screen as your phone worked to open the newly received message. Your sleepy eyes blinked a few times to try and focus your vision before you were able to read the name that titled the top of the conversation.

Good morning, beautiful I hope you slept well :) I was just thinking of you and thought I would drop you a message. - C

Reading the message once over, a smile pulled on your lips as your thumbs slowly moved into position to type a reply. Before you could hit the send button on your reply, he sent you another message.

I was wondering if I could come over a little later today? Spend some time with my favorite girl? - C

Feeling butterflies in your stomach, you happily smiled, letting your screen fall black, you carefully pushed yourself upright. Taking your time, you slowly moved out from under your warm covers. Grabbing your cane on the side of your bed, you pulled it close as you readied yourself to slip out of bed. Using your cane, you carefully stood up before you slowly began moving across your carpeted floor to the bathroom. Carefully filling a glass of water, you hobbled over to your medicine cabinet and slowly began pulling bottle after bottle of medication down from the shelves within.

Slipping the correct dose of pills from each bottle into a small bowl, you gathered all of your medicine before you closed the small door and looked down at the multiple pills that you had to consume. Sighing softly, you leaned yourself up against the counter as you sipped the water slowly, closing your eyes you focused on the wet liquid coating you dried throat before you let your fingers fumble around in the small bowl before choosing a small pill to swallow first.

Placing the small pill on your tongue, you took a sip of the water and gulped as you felt the pill slide down your throat.

“One down…” You whispered to yourself, trying to encourage yourself to take the other multiple pills.

One after another, you swallowed every last pill that resided in the bowl. Finishing off the water, you placed the cup on the counter as you turned around and steadied yourself on your hands on the counter top. Feeling your body ache with a dull pain, you gently bit down on your lower lip but with just a slight pain increase in that area, you lifted your eyes to look at your reflection.

Seeing yourself and your jostled hair, your night shirt falling off one shoulder as it hung loosely over your figure, you let your eyes drag over your figure as questions ran through your mind. Taking in a deep breath, tears began to fill your eyes as those questions turned slowly into doubts.

Standing there for a half an hour, you let some tears roll down your cheeks as they slowly dripped off of your chin and onto your hands below. Feeling the droplets hit your hand, your bloodshot eyes lifted to see your figure once again. A pounding ache in your head began to slowly grow as it accompanied more tears.

Feeling weakened from before, you glanced down at your cane as a sinking feeling hit your stomach as you wondered if you were even going to get rid of the device you used to help get around. Frustration began to boil up within you as you couldn’t help but ball up your fists before using the closest foot to kick your cane away.

More tears streamed down your face as the hopelessness of actually healing and getting better began to turn into a drive. Determination replaced the tears as you slowly turned away from the edge of the counter and more towards the door as you took a step. With one hand still holding on to the bullnose of the countertop, you slid one foot in front of the other to gain your own confidence. Step after step you slowly gained your confidence to let go of the countertop with one hand, taking a few more steps, you got to the doorway as one of your hands moved to the frame of the door. Taking in a deep breath, you slowly retracted your hand from the frame as you steadied yourself on your feet before taking a small step.

With a smile curling onto your lips with the successful step, you tried again, with another successful step, you slowly moved your feet across the carpeted floor one foot at a time. In between the door and the bed, your legs began to shake with fatigue, feeling yourself struggle to stay upright, you slowly spread out your arms, your knees moved towards one another as you tried to create a stable stance for yourself. Lowering your center of gravity, your muscles screamed with pain as you contorted your face in pain before you knew that you were going to hit the ground. Moving your hands from the sides downward, within a second or two, you were on your side against the ground as your breathing was slightly rapid and your heart was pounding against your rib cage.

Trying to look around you for your phone, you heard a buzzing as you had set it on your bedside table, on the other side of the bed. With a sigh, you tried to look around for any other form of help. Knowing that you lived alone, you thought back to your boyfriend, Changmin.

“Did he say the he was going to come over?” You quizzed yourself as you couldn’t remember if he had said that or not.

However a few seconds later it hit you that you didn’t answer him back. Sighing out of frustration, you tried to reach out and grab the bed frame to try and pull yourself closer to the bed but it was just out of your reach. With your energy draining quickly you took in a deep breath and looked up the ceiling.

Taking a deep breath, you tried to access the damage done, if any. But with your medications working now, you felt your exhaustion slowly relax your body as you slipped back into sleep.