Chapter 03

Daily Lives of College Boys

“Okay, here are the rules. All phones need to go in this basket. First person to grab his phone has to pay for everyone’s dinner.” Jinhoo said as he placed a basket in the middle of the table.

The ten college students had agreed to study together in one of the study halls in their dorm building. Exams were coming up in just three weeks and everyone was so busy preparing for the musical that they almost forgot about exams.

But of course, Jinhoo didn’t forget.

“But I need my phone as a calculator!” Xiao complained as he waved his phone around. Hwanhee quickly grabbed the other freshman’s phone and tossed it into the basket.

“I have an extra calculator you can borrow.” Wooshin handed Xiao his extra calculator and opened up his History textbook. He and the other juniors were going to focus on studying for their History class since the coverage of the exam was so broad.

“Gyujin hyung, can you help us with Biology? I can never understand Professor Heo’s lessons. He’s always mumbling.” Hwanhee asked as he brought his seat closer to the sophomore’s. Xiao also moved his seat to be on Gyujin’s other side.

“Okay, just tell me if anything doesn’t make any sense.”

Jinhoo smiled at the sight of the freshmen studying with Gyujin. It was an advantage for Hwanhee and Xiao to have friends that were upperclassmen because they would be able to have help with all of their subjects.

“Are we going to study for English?” Kuhn asked Jinhoo, who nodded in reply.

“Yeah, I remember how horribly you did last time on the English exams so I think we should focus on that.”

“It’s only because I couldn’t concentrate! That class never had a working air conditioner so I was always sweating. I didn’t attend half the time because I hated how hot it was.”

The group of friends quieted down as they studied. Even though they still had three weeks before their exams, they wanted to start studying early.

Sunyoul and Changhyun were already starting to feel exhausted due to the musical. Gyujin had already finished his sketches for the background and was in the process of building the set with Kuhn. They worked nearly every night to put everything together and it still wasn’t complete.

Wooshin had finished the costume design for all of the characters, but making the costumes took a very long time. He had help from Hwanhee, Xiao, and a few other students in the Fashion Modeling department, but he was nowhere close to being finished.

In short, studying for exams was a much needed break from preparing for the musical.

“So, if this guy was the King of the United Kingdom, why did his brother take over?” Changhyun said as he stared at his textbook. He wasn’t quite sure why he was forced to study European History.

“He was king for almost a year before his abdication.” Sunyoul replied as he highlighted a certain part of his notes.

“His what? Abduction? He was kidnapped?” Wei said and he scanned his textbook, trying to find the answer.

“No, Sunyoul said abdication, not abduction. Abdication means that he was relinquished of his authority. Like when a president is impeached or asked to step down.” Kogyeol said as he showed Wei his notes. Wei read through the notes and let out a loud groan.

“I hate this. I always hate exams.” Wooshin mumbled as he kept staring blankly at his textbook. He had read about ten pages and his brain was suddenly not cooperating.

“You do pretty well at your exams though.” Changhyun said as he poked Wooshin’s cheek.

“That’s because he stays up all night before his exams and studies. All night! He never sleeps during exams.” Wei said. Sunyoul sighed and pointed his pen towards Wooshin.

“I told you to stop doing that! It’s no wonder you go into hibernation after exams. But you should really stop doing that. It’s bad for you.” Sunyoul said.

“It gets the job done though! I’ve managed to pass all of my classes because I do these al-nighters.” Wooshin just smiled and returned his attention to his textbook.

“Don’t do that next year though. You’ll need your sleep when you’re a senior. Think of all the volunteering you’ll have to do. Also, you’ll have your thesis next year.” Jinhoo said from across the table. All of the juniors let out a loud groan at the thought of having to do their thesis.

“Hyung, what’s a thesis?” Xiao asked as he peeked up from his Biology textbook.

“You’ll have to complete a thesis when you’re a senior in order to graduate. Jinhoo and I are going to start ours after the musical.” Kuhn replied.

“It sounds scary.” Hwanhee said as he closed his textbook. His eyes needed a break.

“It is scary. I’m worried I might not do a good job.” Jinhoo chuckled nervously before glancing at his watch.

“We’ve been studying for almost two hours now. Do you guys want to stop for now? We can study tomorrow for a couple of hours as well.” Jinhoo continued on as he also closed his notebook.

“Sounds like a good idea. Sunyoul and I have to go to practice for the musical later.” Changhyun said as he reached into the basket to grab his phone.

“Let’s see who has the most missed calls and texts.” Kuhn chuckled and grabbed his phone as well, turning on the screen.

Everyone reached into the basket as well, grabbing their phones to see who has had the most missed calls and texts.

“I have three missed texts and one missed call. All from my mother.” Kogyeol sighed and started to reply to all of his mother’s messages.

“I have two missed texts from my younger sister and one call from a freshman I’m tutoring.” Jinhoo quickly read through his messages and texted the freshman.

“I have a missed call from Professor Kang. It must be about the musical.” Sunyoul said.

“Professor Kang called me too! It really must be about musical.” Changhyun said as he started to pack up all his stuff.

“No one called or texted me.” Gyujin said, causing everyone to laugh. Gyujin didn’t have that many friends besides them. He chose to keep his circle small because he didn’t want to stand out too much.

“Hwan-ah, your younger sister called me. Did she try to call you?” Xiao said as he looked through his phone.

“She called me… seven times. She’s so attached to me.” Hwanhee sighed and texted his sister.

“I had no missed called or texts either.” Wooshin said. Everyone that he talked to was sitting right at the table.

“My cousin texted me. Oh! He got a new car. That’s cool.” Kuhn quickly replied to the text any everyone’s attention was now on Wei.

  1. got three missed calls from my partner for a Game Design project and five missed texts- Oh no! The deadline for the project is tonight and I forgot! I’ll see you guys later!” Wei hastily threw everything into his backpack and ran off in the direction of the computer lab. His friends laughed as they watched him run off.

“Where are we going to eat dinner tonight, Xiao? It’s your turn to choose.” Hwanhee said as he put his stuff back into his backpack to leave.

“Are you guys going out for dinner?” Gyujin said as he stood up from his seat.

“Yeah! Wanna come with us, hyung?” Xiao wrapped his arms around Gyujin and hugged the sophomore tightly before getting pushed away.

“Sure. You guys better not leave me to pay the bill this time though.”

The last time Gyujin had agreed to eat with Hwanhee and Xiao, the two said they needed to use the restroom. After ten minutes, they hadn’t returned so Gyujin checked the restroom and found it empty. The two freshmen had left Gyujin to pay for the entire bill.

“We won’t! I promise.” Hwanhee smiled and Gyujin just flicked his forehead in response.

“Mind if I tag along? I’m hungry.” Jinhoo asked as he placed his arm on Hwanhee’s shoulders.

“If Jinhoo hyung is going, so am I.” Wooshin said, also joining the group.

“Okay, that’s half of us. Are you guys coming too?” Gyujin asked as he looked over at the other juniors and Kuhn.

“Changhyun and I can’t go. We have practice.” Sunyoul pouted slightly and Changhyun nodded as well.

“I’m going to have the pass. I skipped my workout this morning and I need to make up for that.” Kuhn smiled and patted Gyujin’s head before heading over to the direction of the gym.

“My mother was texting me because she wants to meet up with my tonight. I’ll eat with you guys next time.” Kogyeol smiled apologetically and waved his hand as he walked back to his dorm room.

“Where are we going to eat?” Xiao asked as he climbed onto Gyujin’s back, forcing the sophomore to carry him. Gyujin didn’t really mind because Xiao reminded him of his younger brothers and he was used to treatment like this.

“Anywhere with meat. Meat. Meat!” Hwanhee chanted loudly. Wooshin quickly covered the freshman’s mouth to keep him from yelling.

“Let’s just head to the usual place.” Jinhoo decided and everyone agreed.

“Okay, last one there has to pay!” Xiao jumped off of Gyujin’s back and ran off in the direction of the restaurant where they usually ate. Jinhoo sighed and ran after him, determined not to be the last one there. Gyujin and Wooshin quickly followed after the senior, leaving Hwanhee to process what Xiao had actually said.

“I couldn’t hear what Xiao said! That’s not fair! Wait for me!”

Exams are always a pain. But dealing with a thesis is even worse!

YeojaUiMongsang! I’ll be sure to include your request in the story. A trip will be included after their exams and the musical. Thanks for your request! I really like it.

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes! And thank you to the people that subscribe and comment! You make my day! J