Darkest Before Dawn

Monday Couple: Inescapable Fate

Jihyo woke up, blinking at the sunlight in her eyes. Remembering the previous night's events, she turned expectantly, only to find an empty bed. She heard the sound of the shower. Gary oppa had already gotten up. A knock forced her out of bed.

She opened the door to a hotel employee, who smiled at her and wheeled in a cart carrying covered platters. He lifted the lids to reveal bacon, eggs, sausages, pancakes, and assorted fruit. There was also a jug of coffee and a pitcher of orange juice.

"Kamsahamnida!"

The man bowed, about to exit, when he looked towards the closed bathroom door. "Is that... Kang Gary?"

Jihyo realized how the whole situation looked. "Aniyo, we're just friends. Nothing happened!"

The man nodded, his smile now looking a bit forced. Jihyo suddenly felt uncomfortable. She was glad when he left the room, shutting the door behind him.


Gary opened the bathroom door to find Jihyo feasting on various breakfast foods. "Yah, you started eating without me?"

"Mianhae," she mumbled through a mouthful of food, passing him a plate.

"You ordered so much food. How are you still so skinny?" He started scooping food onto his plate.

Jihyo paused. "Oppa... I didn't order this food. I thought you did."

Gary felt as though his heart had stopped beating. "Ani... Jihyo, how much of this did you eat?" 

"Oppa, I don't feel so good -- " Her eyelids drooped and she fell backwards.

Gary lunged forward to catch her. "Jihyo! Jihyo?" He shook her by the shoulders, but she didn't stir. He felt around her wrist and was relieved to find a faint pulse. Lifting her up bridal-style, he carried her out of the hotel and to his car, ignoring the stares from bystanders.


"So far the tests show that she has simply consumed some sedatives. She's perfectly healthy and should wake up in a few hours."

Gary sighed in relief. "Kamsahamnida, songsaengnim."

The doctor smiled and exited the room, leaving Gary alone with Jihyo.

Gary walked over to her bedside and took a seat in the chair beside her. "Aish, Jihyo. What am I going to do with you?" He stared at her for a moment, taking in her beauty. He didn't tell her enough how pretty she was. Sometimes it was easier just to treat her as one of the guys, easier to keep his feelings bottled up inside. Tentatively, he reached a hand towards her peaceful face. Right before his finger made contact with her cheek, he stopped. Kang Gary, remember that she's not yours. 

Lowering his hand again, he leaned back in his chair, contenting himself with just looking at her. He could write so many lyrics about her face alone. 

Lost in thought, the ringing of his phone startled him. He quickly jumped up and left the room. 

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Gary oppa? I really enjoyed our date yesterday. I hope you don't think I'm being too forward, but I would like to go out again soon."

"Ah, neh. I also had a good time. I need to look at my schedule to see when I have time for another date. I'll let you know later."

Hanging up, Gary felt as though he had been doused with a bucket of water. He was trying to get over Jihyo, not fall more in love with her. Why did he come running the second she called? Was it his awful fate to be stuck loving a girl who had made it clear she would never love him back? He needed some time away. The more he was with her, the harder it would be when she didn't need him anymore. Cementing his resolve, he made his way out of the hospital.


Gary had been staring at a blank sheet of paper for over an hour when his phone rang. Mongji calling...

"Aish, I can't deal with this."

Feeling a pang in his chest with each passing ring, he waited until the phone stopped sounding. Tapping the edit button on her contact page, he quickly changed her name to "Song Jihyo." Clicking on her contact photo, he deleted the cute picture he had snapped of her while she was sleeping. His finger hovered over the "Save Changes" button for a second before pressing it. 

"It's done," he said aloud, setting his phone down. No more mooning after Jihyo. Monday Couple had been over for a while now, and it had only been one-sided while it lasted anyway. 

A moment later, the phone started ringing again. Song Jihyo calling...

"Neh, Jihyo."

"Oppa... I woke up and you weren't here."

"Neh. And?"

"Did you get tired of waiting and leave?"

"Yah, Jihyo. Why would I be there? It's not like I'm your boyfriend."

"Oppa, what are you saying?"

"Just stop. Don't play with my feelings anymore."

"Oppa -- "

"I think you should know that I left the show so I wouldn't have to see you every week."

"What? You said it was for your music -- "

"I lied. I really don't want to see or hear from you. I can't stand it. You smile as though everything is fine, but you know how I feel, you know how you're hurting me. Don't you know how hard I'm trying to get over you?" Silence followed his sudden outburst. Then he could hear faint sniffles from the other line, like needles in his heart.

"Oppa, we're friends. Really good friends -- "

With an enraged shout, he hurled his phone towards the ground...

"Oppa? Gary oppa?"

He snapped out of his daydream. "Neh."

"Ai, what's with you lately? I just asked if you left the hospital."

"Ah, neh. Mianhae. Something came up at the studio. How are you feeling?"

"Kwenchana. The doctor says I can leave after I get a physical."

"Are you sure? Maybe you should stay and rest longer?" It was impossible to push away his worry. 

"Oppa, you worry too much. I told you I'm fine."

"Well... At least let me drive you home," he heard himself offering.

"Arasso, oppa. You're really good to me. Komawo."

Yah, Kang Gary! What are you doing? Sighing, he grabbed his car keys and headed to the hospital.


Gary walked into the room just as the doctor straightened from tapping Jihyo's knees.

"Annyeonghaseyo. Her reflexes are fine. Now we just have to check her heart beat." His beeper sounded, and he turned to the intern beside him. "You finish up. I need to go check up on another patient."

While the intern put on his stethoscope, Gary took a seat on the hospital bed next to Jihyo. "You're sure you're feeling well?"

"Oppa, I'm sure." Jihyo smiled, and he felt the strong urge to touch her, hold her, pull her closer.

Pushing his mind toward another topic, he said, "By the way, I called the hotel about the incident. The staff say they never received a breakfast order from our room, but an identical one was placed from a room down the hall. They think a guest pretended to be a hotel employee and delivered the meal to our room after lacing it with sedatives."

"I did think that man was strange. He made me feel uncomfortable."

"It seems that he booked his room under a fake name, but I've given the hotel's footage of him to the police, and they're on the lookout."

"Komawo, oppa." She lightly touched his arm to emphasize her gratitude.

He was surprised by her icy touch. "Jihyo, you're cold. This hospital gown is too thin." He removed his jacket, draping it over her shoulders, and grabbed her hands, enclosing them in his warm grip.

Jihyo turned to meet his gaze, their faces a few inches apart. For a split second, Gary thought he saw the look in her eyes change.

The intern approached. "Ready? Just breathe normally."

Gary inwardly scowled, blaming the intern for interrupting their moment and stealing away Jihyo's attention. 

The intern listened for a minute, then remarked, "Your heartbeat is strong, but it's a little fast. Are you nervous?"

"Aniyo."

Gary frowned. "Jihyo's heartbeat normally doesn't increase easily. Could it be an aftereffect of the...?" He trailed off as he noticed Jihyo's shy smile. Glancing at the intern, Gary noted his youth and good looks. Was Jihyo attracted to the intern? See? This is what you get for trying to take care of her. Do you enjoy this pain?

He released Jihyo's hands and stood abruptly. "I'll go get you a warm drink. I'll meet you outside?"

Jihyo seemed startled by his sudden announcement. "Arasso, oppa..."


As soon as Gary left the room, Jihyo felt her heart rate returning to normal.

The intern heard it too. "Your heartbeat is slowing down. I guess your increased heart rate from earlier was an emotional reaction and not caused by the sedatives."

"Emotional reaction?"

The intern grinned cheekily. "Gary-ssi just left, didn't he?"

"Ah, we're just friends." She said the last word emphatically. The intern didn't disagree, only continued to smile. Jihyo repeated to herself, Friends. I think of him as a friend... right? 


Gary waited outside the hospital entrance in his car, Jihyo's coffee steaming in the cupholder next to him. He shouldn't have bolted out of the room like that, but he couldn't have stayed another second. How can she have that reaction to a stranger? Does she value appearance that much? And am I so unattractive?

"Oppa, what are you doing?" Jihyo had opened the door to the car while Gary was occupied. "Why are you looking at yourself in the mirror? Was there something on your face?" She slid into the seat, immediately scooping up the coffee and taking an appreciative sip.

"Ani, I was just mesmerized by my handsomeness." Gary shot her an exaggerated wink.

Jihyo snorted, then said, "Arasso, oppa. Don't tell me if you don't want to. Let's go."

Sighing to himself, Gary started the car.


Gary walked Jihyo up to her front door.

"Ah? The lock is fixed."

"Of course. Did you think I would let you live in a house without a lock?" He took a key from his pocket and handed it to her.

"Komawo, oppa!" She unlocked the door and stepped inside, starting when an alarm began to sound.

Pushing her aside, Gary made his way to the display on the wall, placing his hand against the screen. A scanning light appeared and the beeping stopped. 

Jihyo blinked. "Oppa, what is this?"

Gary rubbed the neck bashfully. "Ah, I was a bit worried about the security of your house, so I had some new features installed. This alarm rings whenever someone enters. If it's not disabled within a minute, the police are called. We can change it so your handprint is the code."

"Oppa, this is too much. It was just one small break-in, and nothing was even stolen."

"Yah, Jihyo, if that creep breaks in once, he might try again. Please just keep it for your own safety."

Jihyo took one look at Gary's earnest expression and burst out laughing. "Arasso, oppa. If you're that serious about it, I'll keep it. You only installed this alarm, right?"

"Well... I installed one alarm system. It also includes sensors on all the windows, and there are security cameras installed along the walls of the house outside. If anyone breaks in again, he'll be caught on camera."

"Aish, oppa. You did all this without asking me? Haven't you heard of privacy?"

"Mianhae. But the locksmith said your security wasn't very good, and I was worried. Family takes care of each other, with or without permission."

Jihyo's expression softened. "Arasso, oppa. I'll forgive you this time, but next time..."

Gary nodded vigorously. He was one of many people scared to be on Jihyo's bad side.

"Tell me now if you did anything else, oppa."

"No other security measures. I did get someone to clean up the message in the bathroom."

Gary flinched as Jihyo took a step forward, raising his eyebrows when she enveloped him in a hug. "Komawo, oppa, for looking out for me."

"Don't mention it." Jihyo, I've already told you. I'm always here for you.

Jihyo stepped back from their embrace, and Gary suddenly felt awkward. "I guess I'll get going now. Good night."

"Oppa, wait. I hate to ask you another favor, but do you think... Could you stay with me one more night?"

"Wow, Jihyo. Are you propositioning me?" Gary joked.

"Ani, oppa! It's just... you make me feel safe."

Gary's heart dropped at her last words. He made her feel safe, like an older brother. He was familiar, and he would never be able to make her heart race. She deserved someone who made her heart flutter, and he deserved someone whose heart beat for him. 

"Oppa, what do you say? Will you stay?" 

Gary looked away from Jihyo's expectant face, staring at his feet instead. In his mind, he could envision two paths ahead of him. A path that was forever intertwined with Jihyo's, one of pain, endless waiting, and unrequited love. The other took him far away from her. It was dark ahead now, but it could potentially lead to laughter and sunshine --- just with someone else, not Jihyo. He knew which path he had to take, for his sake and hers. 

"Jihyo ah. I'm glad you trust me to protect you, but I know the security system will keep you safe. I think it will be better for both of us if I don't say. Mianhae." With that, he turned and strode towards his car. He didn't look back, not wanting to see her betrayed expression, knowing it would break his heart and collapse his resolve. It was only when he arrived at his house that he realized he had left his jacket with her.