Safe and Sound

Monday Couple: Inescapable Fate

He saw her, sitting alone at one of the outside tables. Pulling up to the curb, he quickly exited the car and ran towards her. 

Jihyo looked up from her phone at the sound of his footsteps. "Oppa!" 

Gary grabbed her arms and turned her around, looking for any injuries. "Are you okay?"

Jihyo nodded. "Oppa, mianhae for calling you about something so little. I was a little scared at first, but now I'm fine. Can you just take me home?"

"Jihyo, I'm always here for you. And I'll take you home to take a look around, but I think you should stay the night somewhere else."

"Oppa, it's not that bad. I don't even know if anything was stolen."

Gary didn't reply, but he vowed to himself that Jihyo wouldn't be staying at her house that night.


Gary parked his car in her driveway and got out. "Jihyo, stay here. I'll check it out first." 

Walking up her front steps, he noted the half-open door. The handle and lock had been broken off. He carefully entered and flipped on the light switch. He was surprised, expecting to find everything turned upside down. Yet there was no sign of the forced entry apart from the damage to the door. "Yeoboseyo," he called cautiously, pausing to listen. Silence greeted him. It appeared that the person who broke in had left, but he checked all the rooms to be sure.

Returning to the car, he opened the door for Jihyo. "I think whoever broke in already left, but you can't stay here tonight. Just grab some clothes and toiletries and we'll leave."

"Oppa, komawo, but if the person left already, there's no danger."

"Aish, Jihyo, how can you say that? Do you seriously feel safe sleeping in a house with no lock?"

"Where else am I going to sleep?"

"I'll take you to a hotel."

Jihyo was quiet for a moment, thinking. Then she finally relented. "Arasso."

After they entered the house, Jihyo took a good look around. "Nothing seems damaged..."

Gary nodded. "That's what I thought, too. Are you missing any valuables? Everyone knows you won a lot of gold on the show."

They went to her bedroom to check. "Ani, everything is still here, oppa."

"That's strange. Bring clothes and a toothbrush and let's go." Feeling that something wasn't right, Gary wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"Omo, oppa!" Jihyo called from the bathroom. Gary rushed in, heart pounding. He took in the rose petals strewn across the floor and read the words painted in dark red across the mirror: Saranghae, Song Jihyo! The two looked at each other, the shock clear on their faces.

Gary was the first to speak. "Well, Jihyo. It looks like you have yourself a sasaeng fan."

"Aigo, wae? Why would a fan break into my house?"

"Some people get too obsessive. This one seems to be in love with you." Gary gestured to the message. Seeing Jihyo's distressed expression, he wanted to find the fan and teach him a lesson. However, Jihyo's feelings came first. Placing a comforting hand on her shoulder, he said, "Jihyo, it's because you're so likeable. People can't help but fall in love with you." Including me. "Let's go. I'll take you to a hotel. You're safe with me."


Gary threw worried glances at Jihyo as he drove. She had been quiet since finding the message, allowing him to lead her and acting strangely submissive. He only hoped a good night's sleep would allow her to return to her usual self in the morning. 

Arriving at the hotel, he parked outside the front entrance and ran to help Jihyo out on the other side. Giving his keys to the valet, he grabbed Jihyo's hand and strode inside towards the front desk. "Annyeong hamnida, can I have a single bedroom?"

The man at the desk looked up, eyes widening as he recognized them. "Monday Couple! I'm a huge fan! So you two are dating in real life?"

Gary looked to Jihyo, who still had on a mong expression. "Aniyo, aniyo. I'm just getting a room for her. I won't be staying."

The man looked disappointed. "But you two are dressed up like on a date."

Gary just then noticed that Jihyo had been wearing a dress. Had she been on a date? Gary felt a stab of jealousy in his heart but brushed it off. "What are you talking about? I always dress like this."

The man smiled. "Arasso, I can give you this room with a king-sized bed." He winked.

Gary scratched the back of his head, flustered. "Aish, you're completely off. We're just friends." The man's smile only grew wider. Recognizing that he couldn't win, Gary just snatched the key card from the man's hand and said, "Don't go spreading rumors about this."

"I understand. Your secret is safe with me."

"Aish," Gary repeated before taking Jihyo by the hand and leading her towards the elevators.

In the elevator, there was an awkward silence again. Gary almost exhaled with relief when Jihyo opened to speak.

"Oppa, why are you wearing a suit?"

His relief quickly disappeared. "I already said, I always wear this. Why are you wearing a dress?" He could only deflect her questionback at her in an attempt to draw attention from his obvious lie, but he wasn't sure he wanted to hear her answer.

"I went out with friends."

"Ah, I see. I also went out with a friend."

"Oppa, was it a date?" The elevator doors finally dinged open, but Jihyo latched onto Gary's arm, holding him back. "Oppa? Tell the truth."

"Uh... well..." Why did he feel like he had been caught cheating? There was nothing between them, nothing keeping them from seeing other people. "Neh."

Jihyo smiled brightly. "Oppa, I'm glad! You should find someone that makes you happy." Then her face suddenly morphed into a pout. "Oppa, you interrupted your date to come get me? Aish, so inconsiderate. Next time ignore my call." With that, she released his arm and exited the elevator.

Gary shook his head, confused about what had just happened, then slowly followed her.


As soon as she closed the bathroom door behind her, she allowed herself to frown. She was happy for Gary oppa, so why did she feel a dull pain in her chest when she thought about him and another woman? The pain is probably because of everything that happened today, she told herself. She had received a scare.

Entering the shower and feeling the warm water cascade over her, she was even more shocked to discover that she was crying. What's wrong with me?

Whatever this mood was, she needed to snap out of it quickly. Gary oppa was outside, and he wouldn't leave her alone if he thought something was wrong. After shedding a few more tears, she carefully scrubbed her face, leaving no trace of her sadness. By the time she was slipping into her pajamas, she already looked almost back to her normal self. Forcing on a wide grin, she exited.

Soft snores filled the room, and her face relaxed into a natural smile. Gary oppa had fallen asleep in the sofa chair.

"Oppa, wake up!" She nudged him. 

"Zzzz..."

"Aish, oppa! Who sleeps a lot now?" She waited a moment, but he showed no sign of waking up. "Arasso, sleep here for tonight. Remember you're supposed to protect me."

"Always," he murmured.

"What did you say?" Jihyo placed her ear closer to , but he was quiet now. "Ai, talking in your sleep, too? You better not disturb me." With that, she turned off the lights and snuggled into the comfy king-sized bed.


Gary awoke to screaming. "Oppa, help me!" His sleep-addled brain took a moment to comprehend his surroundings before he suddenly jumped out of his seat.

"Jihyo!" He ran towards the bed, where she was tossing back and forth. He threw off the blankets, revealing Jihyo flailing about. He breathed a sigh of relief, realizing that she was only having a bad dream. He pinned her arms and legs down with his body, then reached over to turn on the bedside lamp. His heart broke when he saw her in the light. 

Jihyo was still sobbing and whimpering, "Gary oppa..." 

Gary brushed the hair out of her face, speaking lightly. "Jihyo, wake up. Jihyo?"

He felt the struggle go out from her body and her puffy eyes slowly opened. "Oppa?" she asked in a hoarse whisper.

"Jihyo, I'm here. Don't worry. You just had a bad dream."

"Dream? It seemed so real... I was being chased... and... and you tried to come and help me... and then... he... he hurt you..." Jihyo's eyes began to water as she remembered the scenes from her nightmare.

"Shhh, Jihyo, ah. Don't talk about it anymore. You're fine, I'm fine. As if anyone could hurt me anyway." He smirked, pleased when she responded with a small smile. He grabbed a tissue from the nightstand and gently wiped away her tears and sweat. "Do you need to blow your nose?"

She nodded, and he took another tissue and held it over her nose. She gave him a half-hearted look of protest but blew into the napkin obediently. He smiled, tossing the tissues in the trash as he remarked, "Jihyo, even the sound you make while blowing your nose is cute."

"Aish, oppa. You're weird." She made a face but then laughed, with him joining in.

As their laughter dwindled down, Gary awkwardly realized that he was still on top of her. Quickly sliding off the bed, he replaced the covers over her then backed away.

Her hand shot out quickly to grab his wrist, her face now serious. "Oppa, wait..." She hesitated.

"I'm waiting."

She turned her face away as if embarrassed to look at him but still held tightly onto his arm. "Oppa... Could you... stay with me for a little? At least until I fall asleep."

"Of course, Jihyo. Haven't I been saying it all along? I'm always here for you." He forced as much sincerity into his expression as he could muster, knowing that she would take his statement as that of a good friend only.

"Komawo, oppa." Jihyo closed her eyes again. She felt a sudden and inexplicable urge to be held by him. Jihyo, have you gone crazy? Gary oppa is a friend. How would he react if he knew what you are thinking right now? She her side and tried to fall asleep. She heard a soft click as Gary turned off the light. She waited, expecting to hear him move back to his chair, but he remained standing at her bedside. Her heart started beating harder. She was surprised he couldn't hear it. Was she nervous? Gary oppa usually made her feel safe. Was she anticipating something?

She waited, but he still didn't move. Gradually, she felt herself drifting off to sleep.


Gary heard her breathing slow down as she relaxed. Are you really going to do this? he asked himself. It's only for Jihyo, so she feels safer, he argued back. He slowly slid onto the bed, pressing his chest against her back and wrapping an arm around her waist. He paused, listening. Her breathing was still calm and even. He hadn't woken her. 

Gary lay there, a feeling of contentment spreading throughout his body. He hadn't been lying when he had told his date earlier that he wasn't getting enough sleep lately. He often found himself awake in bed, unable to sleep. He apparently didn't have the same problem around Jihyo. Very quickly, his eyes closed and he was off to dream land.


Jihyo smiled as Gary oppa's soft snores filled her ears. "Goodnight, oppa," she whispered. Then, with a sense of peace and security, she closed her eyes and went to sleep.