~5~

The Bully
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kandace startled awake and sat up. She pressed her hand to her head and groaned. She'd somehow forgotten to take something for her headache and now her head hurt even worse.

She grabbed her phone and checked the time. 9:34. Thank goodness she hadn't slept longer. She needed to make sure the others all got their homework finished and got to bed at a decent time. Plus, she had her own homework which she hadn't had even a second to work on.

She made her way to the kitchen and grabbed the mild painkillers she stored on the top shelf of the cupboard. She went to throw one in , but stopped knowing she needed to eat something before taking it. Pain meds on an empty stomach could cause major problems.

She found a package of cookies and opened it, eating two before finally taking the medicine.

She made her way down the hall and peered into the boy's room. The three each sat on their beds, Jake and Trace engrossed with their phones, but Zakary poring over a schoolbook. She smiled. At least one of them was doing what needed to be done and without her having to beg and plead.

"Jake? Trace?" They looked up and scowled. She threw them a frown in return. "Is your homework done?"

Neither of them spoke for a moment. "No," Trace finally muttered. Jake's brows lowered over his eyes, but he still didn't speak.

"Please get started on your homework. You guys need to go to bed in an hour and I know you won't feel like getting up early in the morning to do it."

Trace grudgingly grabbed his backpack and began pulling out books.

She turned and looked expectantly at Jake. He avoided her eyes. She walked further into the room and over to his bed. She lifted his chin so she could look into his eyes. "Cat got your tongue? You certainly had enough to say while you were texting me earlier." Jake grabbed her hand, squeezing her fingers so hard she winced, and threw down her hand.

"Get out," he said, glaring. 

She ignored the throbbing in her fingers and shrugged nonchalantly. "I will when I see you've started on your homework."

Jake tried to hold his glare while staring into her eyes, but he knew she could stand out much longer than he could and finally dropped his eyes. He threw his phone on the floor in anger. "Fine," he huffed. She watched as he got his books as well and had opened one before leaving the room.

Next, she tapped on the door of the girls' room and after hearing a faint 'Come in' entered. Inside, both girls were sitting at their desks scribbling on their papers.

"Almost finished?"

Rika nodded. "Almost, unnie."  Kandace thought it was cute when she was called unnie.

"What about you, Alisa?" Her sister nodded. She quickly wrote something and then stuck her paper inside a folder and slammed her book closed. 

"I'm finished now," she said smiling.

"Whaaaaa!" Rika exclaimed, upset that Alisa had finished first. "I thought I was going to win today," she pouted.

Alisa stuck out her tongue and made a face. 

Kandace shook her head and laughed a little. At least the girls seemed to be over their bad moods from earlier. They both loved food and if they had to wait for it they became grumpy.

She cleared . "Good. You two need to go to bed in a little while. Do what you want for a little bit, but then get ready for bed. Arraso?" They nodded again.

All of them were fluent in Korean, but she liked to still speak some at home. It helped them keep it in their minds more. She knew the most languages at eight, but they all knew Japanese and German along with English and Korean.

Every week would be a different language. Everyone had to only speak that week's language at home. If caught speaking another, she would give them a chore. After having to wash dishes and take out the trash a few times, they learned not to forget and slip up.

She left the room and went back to her own. She took out her homework and tried to focus on it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter