Chapter 2

Sparkle

Jong Kook watched Se Jeong riding the carousel at the Lotte World. Jong Kook just stayed on the edge, making sure that his daughter was safe and happy.

“Appa!” She waved her hand when she saw him. Jong Kook smiled and waved back to her.

After she finished, she came to him and hugged his leg. Jong Kook carried her on his arm and Se Jeong hugged him.

“Thank you for taking me here, appa!” She said.

“Anything for you, my princess, as long as you are happy.” He kissed her cheek.

“I wish that omma could come with us today. She would be happy too.”

Hearing his daughter said that, Jong Kook just smiled bitterly, “Maybe next time, sweet heart.”

He imagined that if they were still a family and Ji Hyo came with them today. They would be laughed together and enjoyed their family time. Ji Hyo would be very happy too, playing with their daughter and persuading him to take a ride with them. She would spoil Se Jeong with all the foods while he would be nagged at them for eating too much.

“Appa? Are you okay?” Her words broke his reverie.

“I’m fine.”

Se Jeong asked her father to buy her a cotton candy which made Jong Kook frowned at his daughter fondness of sweets like her mother, but he still bought it for her. When Se Jeong ate her cotton candy, his phone started to ring. He looked at the caller and it was Dong Hoon.

“Yes, Dong Hoon –ah?”

“Hyung! Where are you now?”

“I’m at the Lotte World. Why?”

“We need you here at Geumcheon district. We found another body and another poem, hyung.”

“Text me the full address, I’m going there after I take Se Jeong back.”

“We’ll be waiting for you here, hyung. I’m sorry that I interrupt your time with your daughter.”

“It’s fine. For the meantime, please ask around if there was a witness and conduct a search for the murder weapon.”

“Yes, sir!”

Jong Kook ended the call and sighed. He really hated that he had to break the news to Se Jeong that their time this week would end here. He made another phone call and not long after, a woman picked the line.

“Ji Hyo –yah, are you at home?”

“Yes, oppa. Why? Are you taking Se Jeong back now?”

“Yeah, I’m really sorry but something happened and I need to be there.”

“Okay, oppa. I’ll be waiting for you both.”

He glanced at Se Jeong. She was eating her cotton candy while watching people at the ice rink. Jong Kook still wanted to spend his time with his daughter but duty’s called. He took his daughter to a quieter corner.

“Se Jeong –ah, appa really sorry, but I have to take you back to your mother.”

“Eh? Why, appa? It’s still afternoon! You usually takes me back to omma after dinner, am I right appa?” She was surprised.

“You’re right but Se Jeong –ah, appa need to go to work,” He watched Se Jeong’s face changed, “I’m really, really sorry.”

“But it’s Saturday, appa. Omma isn’t working on this day too, so why should you?” She still trying to hold back Jong Kook from going to work.

“Because your mother and I have different jobs. She’s working as a secretary in an office, while I’m working as a police. Police doesn’t have working days, Se Jeong –ah. We work all days to make sure you, omma, and other people safe.” He tried to explain to his daughter.

Se Jeong just kept her head down, and she sobbed silently. She wanted to spend her weekend with her father properly, without any interference. It wasn’t the first time that Jong Kook had to send her back before Sunday night because of his work since 2 years ago, after her father and mother didn’t live together again. She still sobbing when her father picked her up and carried her.

“I’m sorry, Se Jeong –ie. I’m really sorry.”

***

After dropping Se Jeong back to Ji Hyo’s place, Jong Kook drove to Geumcheon district where he met his subordinates there. Senior Inspector Ha Dong Hoon approached him.

“Good afternoon, sir!”

“Good afternoon, Senior Inspector Ha. What’s the situation here?” He asked while walking with Dong Hoon to the crime scene.

“A resident smelled something awful at the dumpster near his apartment when he was disposed the waste there and then he saw a hand protruded from the piles of rubbish, so he decided to call the police.” Dong Hoon reported.

Jong Kook took the rubber gloves from another officer but he didn’t take the mask.

“Sir, it’s better if you use the mask, the corpse already decomposing.” The officer reminded him but Jong Kook ignored him.

He inspected the corpse, trying to find something unusual that could be an evidence and lead them to the murderer.

“What’s the time of death?”

“Judging by the decomposition stage, it’s approximately 3 to 5 days, sir.”

“Have you called the forensic team, Mr. Ha?” He asked.

“Yes, I did, sir.”

Jong Kook nodded, “Where’s the poem?”

Dong Hoon gave him a crumpled paper. Jong Kook looked at the paper and read it.

 

[Honours Martyr by Emily Bronte]

Oh, I would give my heart to death,

To keep my honour fair;

Yet, I'll not give my inward faith

My honour's name to spare!

 

Not even to keep your priceless love,

Dare I, Beloved, deceive;

This treason should the future prove,

Then, only then, believe!

 

I know the path I ought to go;

I follow fearlessly,

Inquiring not what deeper woe

Stern duty stores for me.
 

So foes pursue, and cold allies

Mistrust me, every one:

Let me be false in others' eyes,

If faithful in my own.

 

“It’s already the 6th murder and we still couldn’t solve it.” Dong Hoon said quietly.

“Yeah, but we shouldn’t give up. There’s no perfect crime. The culprit must be make a mistake.” Jong Kook said and removed his gloves.

“I will submit the report by tomorrow, Superintendent Kim.”

“If there’s any progress, contact me immediately.

“Yes, sir!”