Chapter 1

Sparkle

It was a cold friday evening, and Kim Jong Kook, one of the top investigator of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency (SMPA) was still at his desk, staring at the gruesome murder pictures. The pictures of those women who had been victims of a serial killer. He already noticed that all the victims always a woman, 20 – 30 years old, with an auburn hair. The culprit always left a poem beside the woman that he killed. It already the 5th murder and his team had not yet be able to solve the crime.

“Oh, hyung, you still haven’t go home?” One of his subordinates asking him.

Jong Kook looked at his watch and realized that it was already 6 pm. He had to go to pick up her precious girl, “I’m going to pick up her first, Dong Hoon –ah.”

“Don’t be too stress, hyung. Enjoy your time with her.” Dong Hoon pat his boss’ back, “I’m going first, hyung! See you on Monday!”

He turned off his computer, praying that this weekend would be going well so he could rest for a while and spend the weekend with his girl.

***

Jong Kook arrived at an apartment complex in Mapo district, which lied northwest of the Han River. He entered one of the building andwalked to the elevator. He reached the 15th floor, there were 4 doors and he knocked on the 2nd door from the left.

A little girl opened the door and she was so happy to see him, standing in front of her.

“Appa!”

Jong Kook picked his 5 year old daughter and carried her on his arms, “Hello, princess.”

“I miss you, appa!” She kissed his cheek and Jong Kook kissed her back on her cheek.

“Are you ready to go?” He asked.

“Se Jeong –ah! Is that your appa?” A woman asked from inside the apartment.

“Yes, omma! It’s appa!” She answered her mother, “Wait here, appa, I’m going to take my bag.” She run inside.

“Yah! Don’t run Se Jeong –ah!” Her mother told her before she appeared on the door.

“Hello, oppa. Your daughter is so excited to meet you.” Ji Hyo told him.

“Yes, I feel so sorry that she couldn’t spend last weekend with me.”

“She was so sad when she couldn’t meet you.”

“I know, she called me.”

“You must be really busy, with all those cases that you handle, Superintendent Kim Jong Kook, Chief of Criminal Affair Division of Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency.” She mocked him. He didn’t answer her and only smiled.

“So, how’s your case going?” Ji Hyo asked him, “The public really want to know who the culprit is. The murderer is so cruel.”

Before Jong Kook could answered her, his daughter already showed up with her pink small duffel bag. Her face was so happy.

“Appa! Look! I’m wearing my favorite yellow dress!” She turned around once to show the dress to her father.

“You’re so pretty, princess. Now, wear your coat, it’s winter so it was freezing cold outside.”

She wore her coat and they were ready to go, “I’m going to bring her back on Sunday, Ji Hyo –yah.”

“Be a good girl, Se Jeong –ah.” She kneeled in front of her daughter so she was on her eye level. Se Jeong hugged her mother and Ji Hyo kissed her cheek, “Don’t be a nuisance to your father, alright? See you later!”

“See you, omma!”

“We’re leaving, Ji Hyo –yah. Take care.” Jong Kook said to his ex-wife.

***

Jong Kook and Se Jeong arrived at his apartment on Yeouido. They entered inside his apartment and Se Jeong ran to his couch on the living room, wanting to watch her favorite cartoon. While she was watching, Jong Kook put her bag on the room that he reserved just for his daughter. The entire apartment was covered in black and white, except Se Jeong’s room that mostly in pink.

Jong Kook went to the kitchen and prepared a dinner for them. Se Jeong showed up at the kitchen because she smelled the food.

“What’s for dinner, appa?”

“Grilled bulgogi and stir fried vegetables, you like it, don’t you Se Jeong –ie?” She nodded frantically, happy that she was going to eat her favorite foods with her father.

They ate their dinner and after they finished, they sat on the couch, Se Jeong told him all she did her days when she didn’t meet him.

“What are we going to do tomorrow, appa?”

“I'm thinking of taking you to the Lotte World. How’s that sound?”

“You’re the best, appa! I love you.”

“I love you too, princess.”

“I wish omma could come with us.” She said.

Hearing her innocent words, he felt his heart twitched. He was no longer together with Ji Hyo because of his unforgivable mistake yet they were still cooperated for the sake of their daughter.

“Let’s go to sleep, Se Jeong –ah.” He carried her on his muscular arms to her bed.

“Can I sleep with you today, appa? I miss you so much.” She looked at him with her big eyes. Se Jeong had Ji Hyo’s eyes and also her wide forehead but her sharp nose was just like his.

“Of course. Come on.”

Jong Kook loved his daughter, more than anything else. Her existence was his happiness and he would never trade it with anything in this world.

“Appa, can’t you send me back to omma on Monday?” She asked. Jong Kook smiled, she was already knew the answer but she tested her father.

“Why? Don’t you miss omma?” He put the blanket over her.

“I miss her but I miss you more.”

“I miss you too but I’m sorry I can’t, Se Jeong –ah. Omma will miss you, besides you have to go to school and I have to go to work.”

Her face turned sad when she heard his answer, Jong Kook felt guilty but he already made an agreement with Ji Hyo about the child’s custody. He could visit her anytime he wanted but he should inform her first and he could take Se Jeong with him on Friday and brought her back on Sunday.

“Let’s sleep, Se Jeong –ah. Appa is here now with you.” He took his daughter’s small hand and fell asleep.