His voice

Harmony

Since Mina was little she had been told that there was someone out there in the world that was made for just for her, and for me alone. Like the naïve child she was, she would believe anything her parents told her. Her mom had said that the way she would now was because of the song our souls create. It sadden me when I found out she could not sing. How would he find me, would he ever find me?

Not wanting to give up I started learning to play piano since it was the only instrument in the house. I was looked at weirdly since it was common knowledge that I was different… while everyone else could easily express their song with their voices I could not. Using an instrument was to express a soul song was unheard of because the instrument could never truly make the right sound.

So every day, like today, I would walk to school with my head held down as I listened to music. Mornings were my favorite since I got to play piano as much as I wished, during my free period. I headed straight to the music room in the music section of the school and smiles as my usual room was empty and walked right in. It was a spacious room with a grand piano in the center. The room was sound proof but it had a window that looked out to the garden of the school.

It's currently spring and time for the cherry blossoms and the trees outside the window are so beautiful. I walked over to open the curtains and window to let fresh air in, before sitting to play. My fingers already knew the keys by hearts so I closed my eyes and let's my soul song form and fill the room.

My soul song like any other felt incomplete without its other half so I could not finish it. It was like it was messing notes I could never think off and it frustrated me because though I had not intended it, I had become a musician and incomplete song just made me feel like I had done something wrong. I needed air and water. Playing my soul song always drained me more than it should. When I went through my backpack I couldn't find my water bottle and sighed. Ugh... now I have to go buy one. I grabbed my wallet and phone before leaving the room and leaving the occupied sign on.

I was walking through the garden, enjoying that students were in class already, but then my feet stopped moving before I turned a cornered. I could hear someone singing, not just any song, it was their soul song. A song that captured me and made me my heels and run towards it. Who was it? I needed to know.

My feet came to a stop when I spotted a single student sitting on one of the many garden benches. His eyes were closed as he sang and then slowly hummed the song. His school uniform was different from our schools and he wasn't in class. Who was he? Without even realizing I had walked a bit closer trying to figure out where his uniform was from. I couldn't figure it out but I notice he was very handsome. He had really nice lips and his hair was a bit messy but that just made him look more flawless. He had the nicest smile and his eyes were a beautiful down. Wait his eyes?! I looked at him and blushed. He had seen me staring. I looked down embarrassed.

“Hey?” I blinked and looked at him surprised that he had spoken.

“Uhh... um. Hi.” Wow was I lame. I looked down but when I looked back at him, he was smiling. He signaled me to come closer but as I was about to, the bell rang, making my head turned towards the music section before I looked at him. “Umm. Sorry I have to go.” I bowed slightly before running off to go back to the music room. The teachers would kill me if the room was left occupied and I was late to my next class. I was really sad to leave the guy, he looked like he stood but I just couldn't afford to be late to class, there was a test today.

After the test was over and done, we had one more class before lunch break. Lunch was just as noisy as ever and just couldn't stand the cafeteria food so I headed to the school garden to eat my homemade lunch. I was about to sit in my usual spot when I spotted the bench he had been sitting at and just like that my feet took me to it. I sat down and smiled. This spot was perfect. I ate in silence, my mind remembering him, every detail. I wish I'd had more time to know him.

The next day was the same. I headed to the music room. Left the window open and played a few songs. In the end playing my soul song as I closed my eyes but I didn’t get to finish because suddenly there was a loud thud coming from the window. I opened my eyes to see the same guy from yesterday, nothing had changed other than the fact that he was on the ground now wincing in pain. I looked up at the window and blinked as I saw one of the school patrol officers before looking back at him. He was telling me to keep quiet and I didn't see a reason of why not so I nodded. The man came by my window and look at me as I made up to fix my music sheet.

As soon as he was out of sight and I stood and closed the window and curtains. I visibly saw him relax and then our eyes locked as I looked down at him.

“A- are you okay?” Why did I have to stutter? I didn't use my voice much so I guess it was normal. He looked at me and smiled before nodding.

“I am.” He sat as he looked up at me and rubs his nape. “Sorry about disturbing you.” I had to smile as his cute behavior and shook my head.

“It’s okay, I wasn't really doing much.” He slowly stood while leaving his backpack on the floor and towards the piano before looking back at me.

“I heard you playing…” he looked down slightly. “Could you keep playing?” He looked at me as if he was asking the world of me and I just couldn't resist so I nodded.

“I can but it's an incomplete song.” I sat and I swear I heard him whisper something to himself before he sat on the piano seat with me, facing away from the piano. I closed my eyes and let my song flow again. Then I heard his voice. He was singing along with my song and my eyes opened to look at him. He was already looking at me, smiling as he sang along.

Our song ended and I hadn't notice I had been crying until he cupped my cheeks and whipped the tears away as he spoke. “I finally found you.” He was smiling and I couldn't help but smile back at him.