First Love

SeChung Shots

To say Chungha felt confused is an understatement. She was the one who fell out of the swing and broke her arm yet Sejeong is the one bawling her heart out by the bed where Chungha rested. The accident wasn't Sejeong's fault. At least, not entirely. Chungha was the one who requested for the swing to be pushed higher.

"Sejeong-ah," she calls softly and gestures to come closer.

Sniffling, the girl looks up at Chungha and does so. She receives a pat on the head from the arm that was left unharmed and another wave of guilt washes over Sejeong. Although alarmed, Chungha keeps her calm and does her best to wipe those tears away. Gently, she tugs at Sejeong's hand, prompting her to come up. Sejeong successfully climbs onto the bed and sits in front of Chungha. The bed is big enough for their small six-year old bodies.

"Why are you crying?" asks Chungha worriedly.

"Because you're hurt," replies Sejeong despondently.

"Then, I should be the one crying," Chungha chuckles. "Why is it that you are?"

"I'm the one who hurt you, that's why."

Chungha shakes her head in lieu of a reply. She reaches out to hold Sejeong's hand and tugs at it again, silently asking the girl to come closer. Sejeong complies, carefully she crawled towards her friend, careful not to do any more damage. Chungha immediately envelop her with her good arm, hand resting on Sejeong's waist.

"This isn't your fault," she tells Sejeong. "I was the one who told you to push harder."

Sejeong only hugs her back, head nestling on Chungha's little shoulder.

"This isn't your fault," Chungha tells her again.

 

The hospital smells funny, Chungha notices. It's also very white. The floors are tiled and the walls look cold. The people who works there all look too clean. The room Chungha is staying at is quiet. So is the girl resting on her shoulder. This is the most unusual. Kim Sejeong had never been quiet ever since they became friends.

"Sejeong-ah," she calls the girl.

"Yes?" the girl replies without moving from her positition.

"What's gotten you so quiet?"

When Sejeong doesn't reply, Chungha nudges gently off her shoulder so she can look at her face properly. Sejeong doesn't meet her eyes, however, so Chungha had to softly cup her cheek with her unrestrained hand to face her. Tears threatened to fall from Sejeong's eyes again and Chungha immediately brings her back to her embrace.

She doesn't understand what's going on. Being six-years old doesn't really help, either. She's been told that she's too young to understand most things, too young to know almost anything. Chungha may not understand many things, but she knows Sejeong. And right now, Sejeong needs some time. She's right, of course.

"I don't like hospitals," Sejeong says after a while.

Ah, Chungha thinks. "Is that why you've been quiet?"

Sejeong nods her head. Chungha wants to ask her why, wants to know what made Sejeong not like hospitals. Does it remind her of the flu shots they had to get during cold season? Or when the scary dentist had to check their teeth to decide whether they can still eat candy or not? She has a lot of things to ask but she remains quiet. Chungha knows Sejeong will tell her anyway.

Sejeong does talk, but the tinge of sadness laced in her tone had shaken Chungha enough to tighten her hold on the girl.

"The hospital is a place where you say goodbye," Sejeong tells her.

Then, Chungha remembers. The grandfather Sejeong so dearly loved, the very man who used to spoil them rotten with freshly picked pears or watermelons in the summer and cracked jokes at random moments which never failed to make them laugh. Chungha remembers the little baby cousin Sejeong was so excited to meet but she was only told to go home after all because her aunt and the baby had to go to heaven a little early. Chungha remembers.

"Chungha?" she hears Sejeong call.

"Yes?"

Sejeong detaches herself from Chungha and moves to sit in front of the girl. They stare at each other, both in wonder but of different things. Time seemed to still until Sejeong starts to crawl forward. She anchors her arms on Chungha's shoulders before leaning in, meeting Chungha's lips with hers and time did feel like standing still.

It was an innocent peck, but one full of longing and determination, a clumsy reminder of sleepovers and christmas cookies with warm chocolate milk. Sejeong pulls away, eyes downcast as she retracts her hold on Chungha's shoulders.

They kissed. Or more precisely, Sejeong just kissed her. Chungha doesn't mind. She never does when it's Sejeong. In an attempt to reassure the other girl, Chungha makes a grab for her hand. She looks at Sejeong's eyes, silently willing her to meet her gaze. Sejeong does eventually and she knows Chungha wants her to explain. So, with a sigh, she does.

"Do you remember Heechul-oppa?"

"The guy who took care of us last summer?"

"Yeah, him."

"What about Heechul oppa?"

"Well, he said something back then and I just remembered it today."

Chungha furrows her brows, wondering what that man who, although responsible, is also probably 80% insane, has said that would make even the hyperactive Sejeong with goldfish tendencies to actually listen.

"It was right after story time. You were already asleep. I found Heechul oppa glancing outside the window and he told me he was missing someone," tells Sejeong.

"Must be his girlfriend," Chungha supplies.

Sejeong shakes her head, no. "He missed his first love. First love never dies, he said."

"What?"

"First love never dies."

"What does that mean?"

"I'm not sure," shrugs Sejeong. "But I kissed you. That means you won't die, right?"

Chungha can only blink. She is sure she won't die from breaking her arm but the quiet desperation in Sejeong's voice keeps her quiet. Instead, she moves forward and pull Sejeong in a hug so strong, they both fall lying on the bed with Sejeong mostly on top of Chungha. The small grunt from Chungha made her realize she was pressing on the broken arm so she immediately repositions herself for a more comfortable cuddle.

Sejeong rests her head on Chungha's shoulder, her arms laid over the girl's torso. Chungha exhales in comfort, her unharmed hand holding Sejeong close and safe.

"You're a weird kid, Kim Sejeong."