Special Things

Special Things
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

The day is in full swing. Kibum is brewing some coffee and Jonghyun is busy clearing the leaves from the back garden. The wind rushes around the blonde haired man, thwarting his attempts at getting the leaves into the brown bin liner and although the month is May, the chill in the air still lingers and the blustery winds make the temperature feel a good few degrees cooler than it actually is. Jonghyun huffs in annoyance as he only manages to tip half the rake’s contents into the bag, the other half spilling on the ground and skittering back into the long blades of grass where he had only just moved them from. Still, he thinks, he is getting there – albeit quite slowly.

The white PVC patio doors open with a beep, one that happens when any exterior door is opened – a part of their alarm system. Kibum steps out in his ankle grazers, bare feet only tucked into blue slip-ons. His hands carefully juggle the tray as he steps down the concrete step and when Jonghyun turns his neck, his eyes light up at the sight of steaming coffee and a slice of cake.

As the two men chat in the centre of twirling leaves and a dancing black bag, the phone is ringing on the hallway table – neither man hearing it out in the elements as they share a sweet coffee kiss and pull their coats further around their bodies to block out the chill. A message is left on the answer phone; the red light blinking obnoxiously to any witness but there is no one around. Kibum clearing out the shed, Jonghyun raking the leaves and then mowing the lawn.

It isn’t until a few significant hours pass, when Jonghyun enters the house with heavy boots and a duffel coat. His feet slamming loudly as he tries to brush off some of the grass on the outside step before his socked feet pad lightly onto the linoleum floor. His steps are hurried as he shuffles into the hallway in search of relieving his bladder in the downstairs toilet. The older male passes the phone on his way and makes a mental note to check the messages once he has finished.

A rustle and a flush later, he enters the hallway to see Kibum making his way to the phone. His face is flushed red from the cold and his hair unruly in the way it stands from his head in rough angles.

“I was just going to check them” Jonghyun says with a light chuckle, eyeing the lithe finger that presses down onto the voicemail button before a crackling noise reaches their ears.

“The number 4786557 called today at 13:54. Good afternoon Mr and Mr Kim. This is Sharon from Little Miracles agency, I’m just calling to inform you that all of your checks have been successful and we can now proceed to the final stage. Please call me back at 4786557 to discuss further or feel free to call in branch. Congratulations and we look forward to making this a magical moment for the both of you.”

The silence which encompasses the room is something strange that they have never felt before. It isn’t like the silence which followed the terrible news of Kibum’s father passing away. It isn’t the awkward silence of their very first date. No. This is a silence filled with bubbling excitement, disbelief, slight nerves and anticipation.

“I can’t believe it. This is finally happening.” Jonghyun says with a bright grin as he takes his husband’s hand in his own.

Kibum takes a little longer to come round but when he does, it is a face of pure panic.

“Omg, we haven’t got the room ready yet! There is so much we need to do. I should have done that and not the shed” is his instinctive remark.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter