Love You Like A Fool - Part 3

Love You Like A Fool

The men were staring with puppy eyes at the PD who didn't expect that kind of 'favour' they were asking from the crew. It seems like the Commander had been honest about his 'secret crush' towards the Ace of the show, yet Jong Kook decided to first clarify the way Ji Hyo felt about him. Therefore, the male casts were unanimously proposing a special 'theme' for the upcoming episode - focusing on Jong Kook as the member of the week. "As long as she doesn't find out.. the plan will be perfect!" Haha formed a big smile while the others were nodding in agreement.

 

"Geurae. I'll talk to the team and see if it's doable," the PD replied. While observing the hopeful faces of the Running Man members, the PD took a deep breath and said, "I guess none of you are against it, am I right?"

Kwang Soo responded on behalf of his seniors, "Geuroji! Or else we wouldn't be asking for this."

"Arasso. I'll discuss further with Jong Kook once we're good to go," the PD smiled as the members thanked him for considering their proposal.

 

Two days after their secret meeting, Jong Kook received a text message from the PD who asked about his expectation for the special episode. As they already agreed with the blind-date plan, Jong Kook care less about how it would be done or who would be his partner. More importantly, he wanted to send a clear 'hint' to Ji Hyo that he too knows how to love a woman despite his fierce image as the Commander. He really hoped to see how she would react when he dated someone else right in front of her very eyes. That's all he needed before taking their relationship to the next level.

 

The night before the shooting of his special episode, Jong Kook bravely asked Ji Hyo out for a walk. He came up with an excuse that he was so nervous and wanted to have someone to talk to about the show, but no one else was available at that hour except her. The innocent actress truly fell for his words and agreed to accompany him, although partly she was too sleepy to go out and would rather stay at home.

 

"Mian.. are you upset that I keep you awake?" he casually began their conversation as they strolled down the road. Ji Hyo covered as she yawned - an obvious sign of how she felt at that moment. A bitter smile was formed on her face as Ji Hyo tried to fight her sleepiness, "Gwaenchana oppa. So what is it that's bothering you? Did they told you what will happen tomorrow?".

 

Although he knew, Jong Kook pretended to be clueless and shook his head. He naturally heaved a small sigh, "I wasn't thinking much when I told them to decide about the theme. Now when I think about it.. I became too anxious when I don't know what to expect."

Ji Hyo chuckled, "Aah.. oppa. Why must you worry so much about it? It's just a show. I mean.. how strange can it be?"

"Have you forgotten something? We're talking about Running Man here."

"I know. But seriously.. even if you know or tell them what you want, the crew will always come out with all sorts of wild ideas to make it entertaining and fun for the show! Come to think of it.. maybe it's better for you not to mention anything. Otherwise they will 'literally' listen to your words and turn it into something totally different than what you've expected."

 

When Jong Kook stopped from taking another footstep, Ji Hyo did the same. They both stood still next to each other while gazing at the beautiful night sky. Without fixing his eyes on her, Jong Kook spoke openly, "You know what? I actually have something in mind for my episode.. but it's too extreme that I don't think the PD will agree with me. So that's why I didn't say anything."

 

"Jinjja? Want to share your idea with me?" Ji Hyo was getting excited.

The Commander's lips curled upwards as he shifted his focus to her face, "Can you promise that you won't be mad?"

"Why would I be?" Ji Hyo became confused, but then agreed to make the promise as Jong Kook had requested.

His hands naturally holding hers as they faced towards each other, "Ji Hyo aah.. we both been hurt in the same way, and I don't think anyone else could relate to what we've gone through for the past 6 years. When I found out how much you've been crying because of the recent incident, I felt like it's my responsibility to take good care of you.. to mend your broken heart especially now that Gary will not be around. I want to see you smiling again.. having fun and not afraid to do anything just like the Ji Hyo that I used to know. Remember what the fortune teller said? He told us that you were born as a thirsty tree in the summer, whereas I'm your great source of water. So let me be your man instead.. and let's take this chance to be open about it."

She stared at Jong Kook's face in confusion, "Oppa.. oppa waeyo?"

 

That's when Jong Kook realized that his straightforward confession was merely his silly imagination. As he was still holding hands with Ji Hyo, the situation became awkward when he couldn't say the things that he has 'rehearsed' in his mind. So Jong Kook just let go of his hands and fake a laugh, "Ah ni.. I.. I was just.. really nervous. I didn't realize that I was holding your hands. It must be weird for you, isn't it?"

 

Ji Hyo giggled, "A little."

"Maybe I should send you home now. It's getting late," the Commander felt guilty for taking too much of her time for unimportant talk.

"If it makes you feel less nervous.. I don't mind us holding hands while walking back home," Ji Hyo smiled and casually interlocked fingers with Jong Kook.

 

Her unexpected gesture made his heart beat out of rhythm. Jong Kook tried to figure out if it was a gentle sign from Ji Hyo - telling him that she shared the same feeling as he does, but it was too difficult for him to be sure when she said, "You really need to find yourself a good woman, oppa. I may not be able to lend you my ears all the time especially when I find myself a good man. Goodnight and I'll see you tomorrow."

 

When the sun was up to greet a new day, Jong Kook couldn't wait to make his way to meet the casts especially Ji Hyo. From the corner of his small eyes, he knew she was in shock to find out that the PD has set a blind-date for him. Ji Hyo hardly talk during the intro, and it was obvious to him that she was faking a smile in front of the camera. 'You are jealous.. aren't you?' Jong Kook's inner voice whispered, and his face was extremely satisfied.

 

Although with his strength he could easily dragged the vehicle to the finish line, Jong Kook purposely chose the 'van' to pick up his partner. He did that to keep Ji Hyo around while he was on a date, so she can witness the 'romantic side' of him that he hardly show to anyone. He tried his best to provoke her jealousy as a woman, and with the help from the rest of Running Man male members (including his own brother) everything was according to the plan.

 

Jong Kook was anxious when Ji Hyo offered herself to fill in his place while he was called by the men in the middle of lunch. He became curious about the things that Ji Hyo told to his partner while he wasn't there to listen. The Commander imagined that the Ace will take the opportunity to 'declare' to that lady by saying "Jong Kook is mine!" or "Leave Jong Kook oppa alone cause I love him!". So the moment he returned to the table, he immediately asked his partner about the conversation she had with Ji Hyo. Unfortunately, it wasn't even close to his imagination. He was slightly disappointed.

 

'Perhaps I need to do more for her to realize how she truly felt towards me,' the Commander justified the need to step up his game and take the romance to a higher level. So he decided to leverage on his talent - singing a beautiful song for his partner while spending some quality time together on a cruise. He knew that Ji Hyo would be watching, therefore the Commander picked the best song with lyrics that he wanted to dedicate to his Ace. Although he didn't perform it in front of the actress, Jong Kook prayed that Ji Hyo knew he was singing the song for her instead.

 

After a long hours of shooting, finally the blind-date came to an end. Right after the camera stopped rolling, Jong Kook immediately dragged his partner to his side and said, "Gomawo So Young ssi. I really enjoyed every beautiful moments with such a pretty woman like you." The lady giggled shyly, "Ne. Thank you for having me here. Hopefully we'll stay in touch Jong Kook oppa."

 

Of course the conversation was clearly heard by all the members including Ji Hyo. From her point of view, the Commander purposely spoke to his date and laughing out loud so she would notice how happy he was with the woman by his side. While everyone else was pleased with the outcome, Ji Hyo was the only person who wasn't as excited as the men. Right after the camera stopped rolling, she disappeared into the changing room before anyone else notice the change in her behaviour.

 

"Did anybody see Ji Hyo?" Jong Kook was worried when he couldn't find the actress. For a moment, all of them were trying to recall if they have seen where she went to. Then suddenly Kwang Soo voiced out, "I think I saw noona walking that way." Without hesitation, Jong Kook went straight to the direction as pointed by his dongsaeng. He slowly approached the door and grabbed the knob to open it, but changed his mind when he heard a sound.

 

From the outside, Jong Kook was able to tell that Ji Hyo was crying alone in that room. It wasn't that loud, but still he could hear her sobbing like a little child. Deep in his heart Jong Kook felt guilty, although he wasn't sure if her sadness has anything to do with him. Nevertheless, he assumed that he owed her an apology. "Ji Hyo aah.. gwaenchanayo? If I ever did anything wrong.. please forgive me for my ignorance. Can we talk?"

 

The door slowly cracked open from the inside, but it was just enough for him to see half of her face. Ji Hyo forced herself to smile, but her eyes were already reddened despite doing her best to hid her tears. When he tried to push the door, Ji Hyo was reluctant to let him in, "Oppa.. can we do this some other time? I'm a bit tired."

 

"Waeyo? Are you mad?" Jong Kook insisted to walk into the room although she refused him.

Ji Hyo heaved a sigh, "I've told you. I'm just tired."

"Then why are you crying?"

"Who's crying? I wasn't crying.."

 

When she tried to slam the door shut, Jong Kook quickly stopped it and pushed it open. Ji Hyo was surprised by the Commander's stubbornness, but what happened next was way beyond her imagination. Before she could resist, her body was already in the arms of Jong Kook - cuddling it warmly while he rested his head on her shoulder. Hearing him breathing next to her ear made her heart fluttered, and without she realized her hands naturally wrapped itself around his masculine body.

 

Gently he ran his fingers on her hair, "Don't lie. Don't tell me that you don't care.. that seeing me with another woman makes you happy. Stop pushing me away from your heart when you know it will hurt us both. I am not going to give up the fight just because you told me to.. so jaebal. Let this man be yours forever cause he's more than willing to do anything for the woman he cared most.. and that woman.. is you."

 

"Oppa.. do you realize what you're talking about? You just went for a date with So Young. How can I be standing in between and pretending that nothing has happened?" Ji Hyo broke the cuddle and lowered her head - staring at the floor to avoid from changing stare with Jong Kook. He lifted her head with a finger and made the lady gazed into his eyes, "Ji Hyo aah.. haven't you notice that my soul wasn't there? I may be walking by her side.. having lunch with her and singing a song for that lady, but I imagined doing it all with you. I wanted to show you how well will I treat you on our date.. so you will not be hesitated when I ask you out."

 

She took a step back to distant herself from Jong Kook, "Oppa.. are you.. but.. since when?"

"Since forever," he giggled - pausing for a while before he continued, "Just kidding. Actually I don't even know when I started to have my eyes on you. It just happened. I realized that I'm not happy to see you with another guy.. and everytime people talk about Monday Couple, my heart hurts. So I asked myself.. what's going on with me? Why does it bother me much when you're looking at other men? And why do I feel the pain whenever you cried? The answer is obvious to me now.. but I still need to know how you feel about us.. or am I the only fool here who think that he got a fair chance to be with a beautiful woman named Ji Hyo."

"And what about So Young? Don't you feel bad for playing with her heart?"

 

Suddenly the door was opened wide. Ji Hyo was startled to see Jae Suk, Haha, Suk Jin and Kwang Soo walking into the room while she was having that private conversation with Jong Kook. Without seeking their permission, Haha interrupted the SpartAce, "Yaa! Stop worrying about other people, will you? If you like Jong Kook as much as he does.. just tell it to his face!"

 

"Ji Hyo aah.. we already know everything. So it's okay to come clean with all of us," Jae Suk giggled.

"That's right. What happened earlier was all part of the plan. We want to see if you'll be jealous of Jong Kook hyung when he's dating another woman.. and judging from the way you look, it's pretty obvious that you love him too!" Kwang Soo made a conclusion, to which made Ji Hyo screamed a loud "Yaa!" at him.

Suk Jin also passed his comment, "Enough with the drama already! Can't both of you just get married?"

Jong Kook smiled sheepishly, "I totally agree on that.. but I don't have the ring with me now."

When everybody were looking at her, Ji Hyo anxiously responded, "Yaa! Marriage is a serious thing, okay?! I can't believe that you guys are all behind this. I feel almost like a fool!"

"Daebak! Jong Kook is getting married.. Ji Hyo is getting married!" Haha clapped and sang the words in rhythm.

"Yaa.. Haha. You're getting excited too soon! We haven't heard from Ji Hyo if she would accept Jong Kook," Jae Suk interrupted and made Kwang Soo said "Aish!" as he wasn't allowed to cheer for the SpartAce.

Suddenly Haha got an idea, "I know.. I know! Let's put on Jong Kook's tag on his back for Ji Hyo to make her decision. If you accept him.. then give Jong Kook a back hug. If not.. you can take off his name tag once and for all."

Jae Suk added to the instruction, "To be fair to Ji Hyo, if she decided to rip off his name tag.. we all promise that none of us will ever talk about this again. Agree?"

 

Once everyone accepted the rules, Ji Hyo stood behind Jong Kook who waited anxiously for her decision. Slowly, her hands touched his name tag. What exactly has she decided?