Love You Like A Fool - Part 1

Love You Like A Fool

He wasn't surprised when Gary announced about leaving Running Man. Jong Kook knew that the rapper was slightly upset with the conversation between them that they had about a month ago. 

 

(flashback)

 

"So.. what do you think?" Jong Kook was nervous as he waited for Gary to respond to his sudden confession. Although he wasn't that thirsty, Jong Kook drank his tea almost half the cup. He couldn't stand the long, awkward silence and not able to read Gary's thought. It was really difficult for him to interpret his friend's body language. The rapper was avoiding his eyes from making contact with him, which made it harder for Jong Kook to assume that everything was fine between them. Finally after heaving a sigh, Gary began to talk but with a low voice, "As a friend.. I should be happy for you, hyung."

 

Jong Kook knew there was more to say from Gary's words, "Then.. why aren't you?"

Gary cleared his throat before he replied, "I don't know. Maybe because.. I didn't expect this?"

 

Jong Kook nodded. They paused the conversation for a few seconds and gave themselves some space to think. Part of him agreed with Gary. It was their first time talking about the topic, so Jong Kook could understand why Gary was behaving the way he was. Reluctantly, the Commander continued with their heart-to-heart conversation, "Gary aah.. mian. I didn't know that you still like her. I thought you have moved on with your feeling since you hardly show your affection lately. That gave me the courage to tell you the truth and confess everything."

 

"You know I don't mind if it's another woman, hyung. But Ji Hyo.. she's my partner on-screen. Although there wasn't any real relationship between us, but the Monday Couple fans will not be happy about it. I know the PD won't be happy too. If you go public and declare your feeling for her.. what do you think will happen to the programme rating?" Gary expressed his concern.

Jong Kook lowered his head and responded with a half-whispering voice, "It's already dropping anyway.."

"And that is fine with you?!" Gary was disappointed with Jong Kook's answer.

The Commander shot a deep stare at Gary's face, "Of course it's not! I care about the show just like everybody else. Yes it made me worried now that Running Man is not as good as it used to be. But that is work.. not my personal life. The way I feel towards Ji Hyo has nothing to do with the rating or fans. I am sincere towards her and I really want to have a serious relationship with Ji Hyo even if it's wrong."

"Geurae.. then I have nothing much to say now, hyung. You've made up your mind even before we have this conversation.. so I guess we're done here," Gary stood up from the chair and ready to make a move. Before he left, the rapper gave a final advice, "Forgive me for not being able to feel happy for you. But I'll do my best to support your decision.. cause you're still my hyung. See you next week."

 

(end of flashback)

 

Jong Kook startled when his mobile phone rang. His mind was back in present moment and quickly searched for a quiet place to answer the important phone call, "Yoboseyo? Ye. MWORAGO?!"

 

His jaw dropped. Suddenly he felt as if the floor beneath him was moving and the area was getting darker by split second. Jong Kook wasn't sure whether he was dreaming, cause if it's true then he couldn't wait to wake up from the painful nightmare. Sadly, when he heard his name being called again and again, the Commander knew that the 'bad news' was actually real. On that day, he learned that he got KICKED OUT from Running Man.

 

Not happy with the unexpected elimination, Jong Kook decided to confront the PD together with his manager. He demanded for a good explanation from the production, but the answer he got was less satisfying. Although no one said anything, but Jong Kook had a feeling that it has something to do with his confession to Gary. And he was right.

 

The rapper apologized for unintentionally 'revealing' the secret to one of the SBS workers when he was drunk, which could be the reason why the Chief PD made such a cruel decision and removed him from the new season of Running Man. At first Jong Kook thought that only his world was falling apart, but it was more shocking to Ji Hyo who only found out about her removal from the show when news were already spreading like wildfire. Because he knew the truth, Jong Kook felt responsible for her pain. Though she was innocent, the Ace had to pay the same price as he did. Even worse, she had no idea why things happened the way they were.

 

"Ji Hyo.. Ji Hyo please answer the phone!" Jong Kook was extremely worried about the actress who has 'disconnected' herself from the others. She didn't pick up her phone or reply to any of his messages, which clearly indicated that she wished to be left alone at that time. After hours of trying, Jong Kook eventually gave up. He cried in his room and murmured to himself repeatedly, "Mianada.. mianada. It's all my fault, Ji Hyo. I've ruined everything. Mianada."

 

For days, the SpartAce avoided the 'world' and kept low to heal wound in their heart. Media and fans went frenzy about the controversy, which soon sparked more rumours about the future of Running Man show. The situation became more heated when one by one 'evidence' being revealed to the netizen, which called for an emergency action to be taken. "How are you guys doing?" Jae Suk threw the question to both of the affected members as they arrived at their secret meeting place. Jong Kook stole a glance at Ji Hyo before he replied, "We've tried our best to search for silver lining.. but honestly it's still hurt for us.. deep."

 

"We're hurt too, hyung. Both of you are our family.. so we cannot imagine what it's like to continue the show without the complete members," Kwang Soo chipped in and stared at the Commander with sad eyes.

Haha nodded and blurted out his disappointment, "I don't know why they would make such hasty and irrational decision without discussing first. Didn't they respect us as the main casts?"

"We can't assume anything since we're not involve with the discussion at SBS. They might know something that we're not aware of. But yes.. I do agree that it's unfair to Jong Kook and Ji Hyo when they were not given a good explanation about it," Jae Suk moderated the conversation to avoid heated conversation which currently being clouded by emotion.

Suk Jin also offered his view as a senior member, "Don't forget.. we are still a family and we will always look after each other through thick and thin. If they want any of us for that show.. they'll need to take all of us in!"

"Agree.. or none of us will continue!" Kwang Soo supported.

However Ji Hyo has a different view, "Gomawo.. I know all of you are very concerned about me and Jong Kook oppa, but I don't think it's right for you to also sacrifice your position for us. It could be damaging to your reputation.. and SBS might not want to offer anymore job if all of you retaliate like this.."

"Ji Hyo aah.. SBS is not the only place where we can find jobs. And it's not like we're rebellious or something.. we just think that it will give a good lesson for the team to learn so they will not repeat the same mistake with others," Haha tried to convince the Ace.

 

After long hours of conversation, all Running Man members have came to a conclusion. They were happy with the outcome and couldn't wait to talk it over with the PD. Jae Suk naturally became the middleman and arranged the meeting with the production team. On the agreed date, both side have talked and able to reach a single decision which is to end Running Man after 10 final episodes. Though it was a sad news for everyone, the members felt that it's best to conclude the variety show with good memories rather than a painful one.

 

Just days after the meeting with PDs, the casts shot a short scene where they shared the 'sorry message' from the production team. As there was no episode shooting on that day, everyone was released early. However, Jong Kook took the opportunity to make a special request to the PD. "So the rumour is true," the PD smiled sheepishly when Jong Kook shared his idea about the first episode for the new year.

 

The Commander smirked, "I thought you already knew it since I got terminated because of that!"

"We were merely following instruction from the top, Kookie. Honestly we're happy for you and Ji Hyo.. but we can't do much to protect both of you since we are not in power to decide."

"Gwaenchana. You don't need to explain further. It's good enough if you can help me to start something with Ji Hyo. She wouldn't believe it if it's coming from me.. so the words from credible fortune teller will do the magic," Jong Kook winked and smiled at the PD while tapping on the man's shoulder.

 

When the time came, the PD delivered his promise to Jong Kook and staged the 'fortune teller scene' just as requested. Because none of the members knew, the rest were truly buy-in all the predictions made by the fortune teller. From the corner of his eyes, Jong Kook saw the blushing face of Ji Hyo when Jae Suk teased them to get married. Deep in his heart, he secretly thanked the other members for showing their support to SpartAce. He began to believe that maybe there is a silver lining after all. Not only he was able to indirectly 'declare' his compatibility with the Ace in terms of love life, he also got the full support from everyone who witnessed the moment.

 

"Yaa.. wait up!" Jong Kook waved his hand to get Ji Hyo's attention before she left the shooting set.

The actress looked at the Commander with a clueless face, "Waeyo?"

Staring straight into her eyes, Jong Kook formed a smile as he talked to Ji Hyo, "Are you free right now? I want to ask you out for dinner."

As Jong Kook was acting weird around her, the Ace was getting suspicious about his intention, "Don't you always hangout with Kwang Soo after shoot?"

"I told him that I'll be busy tonight. So.. where shall we go for dinner?"

Ji Hyo stammered as she didn't expect the offer, "Well.. I.. I.."

"I think I know the best place for couple like us," Jong Kook giggled and quickly interlocked his fingers with Ji Hyo - dragging her along to his car.

The Ace mouth agape, "Couple? What do you mean couple? Wait a second.. where are we going?"

 

"Didn't you learn math? If one person having dinner means single.. so since there are two of us having dinner later.. that makes us a couple!" Jong Kook laughed at his own joke and happily ushered the actress into his car. Once she buckled up her seat belt, Jong Kook drove away from the scene while humming his song. Seeing the cheerful Jong Kook was new to Ji Hyo. She wondered if it has anything to do with the words from the fortune teller, "Oppa.. do you.. believe what he told us? You know.. the part about.. our love life."

 

Ji Hyo immediately looked away as she was too shy to ask that question. Partly she was embarrassed as the prediction was clearly heard by the rest of Running Man members, but at the same time she felt happy to hear it herself from the mouth of a trusted fortune teller. All these years Ji Hyo had a sense that she and Jong Kook made a great team in Running Man, but never cross her mind that their compatibility is also relevant to their 'love life'.

 

Playing innocent, Jong Kook threw a question while keeping his eyes on the road, "Who? The fortune teller?"

"What do you think?" she waited for his answer.

Jong Kook faked a laugh, "I think he's telling the truth. I mean.. he wouldn't put his credibility as a fortune teller on the line if the audience caught him lying on a popular variety show. He'll lost his clients if he did that.. won't he?"

"And if it's true.. are you.."

"What is it?"

"Never mind."

"Yaa.. just ask me! Don't keep it to yourself. Am I what?" Jong Kook became impatient.

"Nothing.. I forgot what I wanted to ask just now. Anyway, mian.. for choosing you as the next member. You had to experience the water bomb because of me."

The Commander laughed, "Gwaenchana! I was just pretending to be mad. In fact.. I want to thank you for choosing me. That means I get to ask for something special for myself."

"Like what?"

"A date?" Jong Kook spontaneously answered.

Ji Hyo scoffed, "A date? With who?"

He swiftly replied whilst stealing a glance at his passenger, "With you."

"Yaa! Are you teasing me now?!" Ji Hyo naturally hit Jong Kook on his arm and pretended to sulk when he laughed naughtily at her.

 

When the car reached its destination, Jong Kook switched off the engine and turned to Ji Hyo, "If I'm asking you to date me for real.. and see if what the fortune teller was saying is right.. will you say yes?". The Commander's question made her speechless. was opened, but not a word was heard. Ji Hyo's mind went blank at the time she needed it most. It was too sudden for her to decide, so she couldn't think of the right thing to tell him. Seeing her frozen and unresponsive to his question, Jong Kook was slightly disappointed, "I guess you're not ready for that. Never mind. Let's just have our dinner, shall we?"