White Sugar (Showki)

A Day at the Amusement Park

The parents are the last to depart from the haunted house, watching as the others split off and go their separate ways. Changkyun is the last to leave, walking off on his own with his hands in his pockets. Kihyun offers him the opportunity to join himself and Hyunwoo for the day, but the youngest of the team merely shakes his head with a smile and continues on his solitary way. Kihyun’s heart twinges at the sight of Changkyun walking on his own, but knows if he gets bored he’ll come find them.

“Kihyun-ah,” Hyunwoo murmurs in his ear, pulling his attention from the maknae and to his lover. Kihyun smiles at the older, and begins to lead them away from the haunted house.

As they walk around, Kihyun’s mind can’t help but wander back to when No Mercy was being filmed. It was a stressful, tiring time for everyone. So much loss and heartache filled those days. But, he would always be thankful for those experiences. Even if his dream of being an idol didn’t turn out like he wished it did when he met Hyunwoo.

The two were extremely awkward together when they first met. Neither really knew why, but it didn’t matter anymore. The awkwardness eventually fell away, and was replaced by the adoration and affection for one another that now filled their hearts.

“So, hyung,” Kihyun says, pulling the taller closer to his side by his arm. Hyunwoo glances over at him, a small smile turning up the corners of his lips. “What do you want to do today?” The older hums in thought before replying.

“I’m just happy to be spending time with you outside of the dorm, my yeobo,” he answers. Kihyun’s heart flutters at the nickname. Hyunwoo had only begun to call him that only a few weeks before, and he loved every time those syllables passed through Hyunwoo’s lips.

The delicious smell of fried dough suddenly wafts up Kihyun’s nose, causing him to halt completely. He glances over at the nearest food stand, sighting plates of the fried dough in a spiral heap and dusted with powdered sugar.

Kihyun’s mouth waters slightly at the sight. Hyunwoo confusedly follows the shorter’s gaze, wondering what had cause his sudden pause. He chuckles to himself upon seeing the snack, and goes to the stand to buy enough for two. Kihyun can’t help but smile at how Hyunwoo had automatically gone to get him what he wanted, without him even needing to ask. Kihyun goes to find a seat nearby, and waves Hyunwoo over to the table he manages to snag.

“Thank you, jagiya,” Kihyun says as he places a soft kiss on Hyunwoo’s cheek as he sits down. Hyunwoo clears his throat, blushing slightly at the public display, and slides a plate of the food to Kihyun.

The pink-haired boy sets upon the food, enjoying every mouthwatering morsel of the dish. Hyunwoo watches the younger as he enjoys the snack, loving his expression of utter happiness. He couldn’t believe there was a time when he lived without his precious Kihyunnie. It’s hard for him to believe he even thought he knew what love was before he met Kihyun.

Kihyun glances over at him, smirking. He takes a napkin from the table and dabs it lightly against his tongue. He brushes it across Hyunwoo’s lower lip, wiping away the powdered sugar that had stuck there while Hyunwoo was eating. The older glances surprisedly down at his hand, not knowing about the confectionary.

“You always eat so sloppily,” Kihyun murmurs as he returns to his food. “Between you and Hoseok-hyung, I don’t know how I manage to keep the table clean as often as I do.” Hyunwoo chuckles again, pulling the smaller close to him.

“You know you love being in charge of that stuff at home,” he whispers softly. Kihyun gives him a silent smirk, unable to deny the statement although very much wanting to. Hyunwoo kisses him on top of his head, Kihyun shutting his eyes tight to revel in the touch. He turns up his face to press a gentle kiss on the older’s lips, the taste of fried dough and powdered sugar tingling his senses.

Kihyun smiles up at Hyunwoo as he pulls back to continue on his food, and glances around. He suddenly catches sight of a familiar face, and waves over at him.

“Changkyun-ah!” Kihyun calls the maknae over, who gladly sits on the other side of the table.

“Eomma, I’m bored,” Changkyun pouts, looking to earn a bit of sympathy from the older. Kihyun chuckles, shaking his head. The youngest spots the food sitting before the couple, his eyes becoming wider than humanly possible. “What’s that?” he asks, pointed at the snack. Hyunwoo merely chuckles before standing to purchase another for him. Kihyun explains the food, letting the youngest have a bite. Changkyun hums in approval, his lips clean of the powdered sugar that dropped.

“So what did you go and do?” Kihyun asks, his fingers before continuing to eat.

“I just sat down for a bit, thinking,” Changkyun answers with a shrug. Something in his eyes flicker for a moment, raising Kihyun’s suspicions. He studies the maknae, noting his somewhat tense shoulders.

“What’s wrong?” he says, watching how the younger responds. It’s always easy to tell when he’s lying, and equally as easy to get the truth out of him if you call him out on it. Changkyun merely shrugs, telling his hyung that it’s nothing. Kihyun raises a skeptical brow, silently telling him that he doesn’t believe that. Changkyun chuckles, leaning forward against the table.

“I just thought back to the old days,” Changkyun finally relents. Kihyun sighs, knowing now why he seems so downtrodden.

“You know we were just angry in the situation,” Kihyun instinctively begins to explain, reaching forward to pat his arm consolingly.

“I know, hyung,” he tells the older with a nod and a small smile. “It’s not that I think you all feel that way still. It’s just… I don’t know. I guess it just hasn’t been long enough for me to think back on that particular aspect of our No Mercy days fondly.” Kihyun can only return the grin Changkyun gives him, unsure of what exactly to say to that.

Hyunwoo returns a moment later with a plate for him, and slides it over wordlessly.  

“Thank you, Appa!” Changkyun cheerfully says, earning a chuckle from the oldest. He wolfs down the snack in an instant, causing Kihyun to sigh and nag him over eating so fast he could choke.

 

The trio spends the remainder of their time walking around the park, riding whatever rides Changkyun requests. Kihyun stays firmly on the ground, though, holding whatever snacks Changkyun had requested while Hyunwoo went on the rides with the maknae.

Kihyun herds them back to the entrance gate a bit earlier than necessary, Changkyun complaining about how fast the time had gone by while they walk. Jooheon and Minhyuk are perfectly on time, and Hoseok and Hyungwon are unsurprisingly late. Kihyun can’t bite back the nag that comes at seeing the late lovebirds. Changkyun chuckles mischievously as he encourages his hyung to continue, earning a playful swat from Hoseok.

Hyunwoo watches his family as they head to the van, chuckling at their antics. He can’t believe how happy he is, thinks it almost sinful for him to be this happy with his life. He finds himself thankful for all the hardship he had to go through, because it was what brought him here.

Sure they had been through a hell of a trainee experience to get here, but the happiness each of them had found, he’s sure, makes it all worth it.