you're my star

you're my star

The night is cool. Chill breeze sweeping across the lush green, the tips of each blade swaying gracefully under the hands of the gush. Mingyu and Wonwoo lay side by side on the cold, slightly damp grass. Inhaling the peace. Exhaling the sky. On a cold Sunday night amidst all the hustle and bustle, the two came to an isolated spot in the large piece of green land, where no one can come and disturb. For once, they leave behind the responsibilities, and bask in the embrace of tranquility. Mingyu lets out a sigh. Life in the city is hard, especially when you are a 22 year old grown up. Wonwoo lets out a sigh. Life in the city is indeed hard, especially when all you do is work. Both boys lay on the cold, slightly damp grass. Arms behind their heads, eyes closed, breathing in the cool, exhaling the warm. The night is cool. 

'The sky is pretty tonight.' Wonwoo hears Mingyu say, breaking the silent peace. Wonwoo opens his eyes and takes in the beautiful painting the night has blessed them with tonight. He hasn't had the time to look up and admire the stars in a long while, but now he has the chance to. Although abit sparse, but he definitely can spot the beautiful clusters of sparkles hanging in the sky. Wonwoo stares at the sky, taking in the entire frozen scene into his mind. 'Indeed.' he answers. 

Once again, the night is silent. As Wonwoo continues to admire the sky, he hears Mingyu let out a stifled yawn. He chuckles, guessing that Mingyu does not want to let him know that he is tired. 'Do you want to go back home?' Wonwoo asks gently. 'We should head back home and sleep.' Mingyu shakes his head, the grass tickling the nape of his head. 'It has been a long time since we got to relax. I don't want to spoil this moment.' Wonwoo does not say anything, but he understands. He understands how both of them need some alone time from their daily routine, how they need an opportunity to finally breathe. And both of them fall back into the same tranquility as before.

Wonwoo feels himself slipping into a deep slumber, eyes lidded and head heavy, until Mingyu speaks up. 'Say, don't you think stars die too?' Wonwoo turns his head to face Mingyu as he continues. 'When the stars lose their sparkle, when they lose the energy to light up the sky, they fizzle out in thin air.' Wonwoo nods in agreement. 'Yeah. I guess they disappear when their job is done.' Mingyu turns to meet his gaze, before turning back to face the sky. 'isn't that kind of sad?' Mingyu closes his eyes and exhales. 'They spend their lifetime donning the sky, but nobody ever stops to appreciate it. Then they have to leave this place sadly, quietly. And no one will ever realise they were gone. That is just... really sad.' Wonwoo lets out a light chuckle and bops Mingyus head with his knuckle, earning a wince from the latter. 'Since when were you this sentimental?' Wonwoo laughs, and continues. 'It is kind of sad, in a beautiful way. The way they are able to die elegantly, in a fizzle. And they just disappear from this world. Nothing to hold them back, nothing to stop them. Gone without a care. I wish to be like that too.' They feel the cool wind brush their faces, the tip of their noses slightly red. 

Wonwoo feels something warm envelop his cold hand, the mix of temperatures turns into a somewhat comfortable feeling. Wonwoo looks down to see Mingyu holding his hand. He smiles, and clasps his fingers between the latter's. It has been long since Wonwoo felt this warm and comfortable, despite the chilly temperature. Wonwoo sneaks a glance at the boy beside him to see Mingyu smiling to himself. 'I guess I'm not the only one feeling this way,' Wonwoo thinks. 

'Hyung, will you ever leave me?' Mingyu shoots a sudden question. Wonwoo shakes his head unbelievably at the question, and laughs. 'Why would I ever?' Mingyu stares at Wonwoo, and then smiles to himself. 'Stars fizzle out when they die, when they are done. Same as us people, we eventually leave this world to a hopefully better place. Everything comes to an end. Everything happy, everything sad, everything. And I'm scared. I'm scared that those that i care for, those that i especially treasure, will finally leave me for good. And leave me alone in this sad world.' Mingyu clasps his hand against Wonwoo's even tighter, so that maybe his feelings will be conveyed to him in the way he wants it to. Wonwoo turns his head to meet his stare, and gives him a small, yet comforting smile. 'Don't say that, Mingyu-ah. No matter how much life may want to stop us, despite how everything does eventually come to an end, I will stay with you forever, and you know it. I won't ever leave your side, no matter what.' Wonwoo lifts their clasped hands and presses his lips against the back of Mingyu's hand, as if sealing his promise to Mingyu. Hearing this, Mingyu lets out a wide smile, and both of them looks back up at the beautiful night view. The night is cool, and Mingyu thinks about Wonwoo as he tells him,

 

'Stars fizzle and die, and I don't want you to disappear from my life.'

 

 

'Because you're my star.'