Stand By Me

Becoming Us

"I miss your face. I miss your smile. I miss your voice. Hope your tour is going well. Love you Hunky One.

"You think he will answer soon?" Jina asked her best friend Lisa. Jina had been back state side for 2 months now, under going treatment for her cancer. Today she would find out if she had beat it. Prognosis had been promising but, yet, there was a deep rooted fear that she would die before she could check off items on her bucket list.

Jina's Bucket List

1) Finally marry Hongki

2) Go to Hawaii

3) Have a song written about me.

4) Beat this damn cancer.

5) Finally get that tattoo.

6) Skydive

7) Honeymoon in Italy

8) BABIES!

9) Grow old as Mrs. Lee

10) Open a boutique

"I am sure he will. You know Hunky, he is a busy guy." FT Island's most recent album had skyrocketed them into a whole new world. More people were now listening more than ever. So they were busy, always on the go, always interviewing, performing. It was truly the best they had done in all their years as a band. Jina would never stand in the way of the fame Hongki and the guys were exeperiencing. It was something they all hadn't really felt before, this kind of fame. Not that they weren't exceptional, because they were, but this most recent album was breaking records left and right. Hongki wanted more than anything to sit by Jina's side as she underwent her treatments for her cancer, yet, the timing of everything conincided and made his presence difficult. He texted day and night when he could, it was the most he could do for Jina right now, and it hurt him.

"2 years ago we were faced with that earthquake. 1 year ago, he had his accident. Now, here I sit, waiting on a doctor to tell me if my cancer has gotten worse or if it has been beaten. What is with our anniversaries, always so much unnecassary drama." It was the earthquake in Japan that had brought Hongki and Jina to realize their love for each other. It was the car accident in Seoul that made Jina realized she couldn't live without her hunky one. And it was a cancer diagnoses 6 months later that made Hongki realize, he couldn't live without her either. He was ready to propose, unbeknownst to Jina. As Jina sat anxiously staring at her phone her doctor's nurse came to take her back for her make or break moment. "Nervous?" the nurse asked as Jina and her parents followed. "More than you can imagine." Jina confessed, would she or would she not beat this pesky cancer?

Jina and her parents sat in Dr. A. Johnson's office, nervously waiting. "Thank you all for your patience, I had another case to take care of, my apologies." Dr. Johnson sat behind her desk and open up Jina's case file, taking a moment to look over it, all while Jina's phone vibrated in her pocket. She knew it was Hongki, but yet, could do nothing about it. "Jina, you've had a hard 6 months. I know your diagnosis of Thyriod cancer was very scary, but I have some great news for you. It seems that finding it early, coupled with the path we took to fight it worked, you are cancer free!" Jina began to sob as her parents both leaned over to hug her.

"Are you serious? The cancer is really gone?" Jina squeaked through her sobbing. "I, I'm going to be ok?" 

"You're going to be just fine. Like I said, you caught it early, and you chose a course of action that was agressive and came out on top, you whooped it's ." Dr. Johnson laughed, causing the three Kwons to laugh. The doctor stood, Jina and her family following suit, thanking the doctor for her help through such a difficult battle. 

"You must be so relieved, my daughter." Jina's father said, putting his arm around her shoulders. "Hongki will be relieved too." Her mother chimed in, holding her daughter's hand. Jina couldn't speak, she was far too overcome with emotion to really know how to speak. So she nodded and then excused herself to the restroom to take care of her red blotchy face. As Jina looked in the mirror and let out a sigh of relief, she couldn't help but wish Hongki was there, waiting with everyone else. She wanted more than anything to scream, "I'm cancer free!" and run into his waiting arms, but she knew it wasn't to be. She took her phone from her pocked and looked down to see texts from the love of her life. 

Jina, I miss you as well my love. Happy 2 year anniverasry bunny. 

Oh, I just remembered, today was the big appointment, how did it go?

Call me asap.

Jina smiled and exited the restroom to head to her family. As she did, everyone began to cheer for her. She smiled and bowed then hugged all those who were there with her. "Hey, how about a celebratory dinner?" Lisa asked. "We could walk over to Cheesecake Factory and get some food to celebrate, what do you say?"

"I say let's do it. Let me just text Hongki quickly." Jina really wanted him there, but he had a schedule appearance. 

Hunky, Happy Anniversary. Gonna grab dinner with Lisa to let everything sink in. Will call soon. 

Lisa and Jina linked arms and walked across the street to Cheesecake Factory. They entered, Lisa excusing herself for a moment. "Miss, follow me, we have a special room ready for you." Jina looked at the waiter confused, but followed as instructed, to a room filled with candles and to her surprise...her boyfriend's band. Jina's eyes spread open wide and her chin, pretty much hit the floor. She stopped dead in her tracks as she entered and just stared at the scene in front of her. Hongki smiled at her from behind a microphone and began to sing their newest song, "Becoming You."

"And every day I think of you. And time all I need is you. I live, carrying all the beautiful memories with you. And every day I think about you and every time to time I need you. I love you for restarting my life that was stopped." Jina sobbed as she was sernaded and Hongki smiled as he walked from behind him mic to Jina, standing in front of her.

"What are you doing here?" Jina sobbed?

"I came to surprise you. You didn't think I would miss our two year anniversary did you?" Hongki used his hands to wipe Jina's tear stained face as her famiy watched from behind her, to which she was clueless.

"But you had a scheduled appearance. You said you and the guys had an important gig."

Hongki laughed and grabbed Jina's hands. "No more important gig, than the one where I surprise my bunny on our 2 year anniversary." Jina laughed.

"This is the best surprise ever. Especially after the day I had..."

"No, don't say anything. Jina, I have so much I need to say to you, so please, please don't tell me your diagnosis yet. Please let me speak." Hongki still didn't know Jina was cancer free, but he had prepared quite the proposal speech. Jina smiled and nodded her head as she allowed Hongki to continue. "Bunny, I can't believe it's been two wonderful years with you." He began, his hands holding Jina's again. " I think it's crazy that our anniversary seems to come with complications, though I suppose it's only fitting considering we started this crazy love in the middle of an earthquake. That night, you were the only thing that kept me calm. You know how much I hate the idea of an unstable ground and you were there giving me peace, as you have done since. Every time I was nervous, you were beside me to whisper words to calm my anxious heart. One year ago, when we were involved in the accident and I saw my life flash before my eyes, and you were the main thing I saw. you're beautiful blue eyes and that bright smile." Hongki let go of one of Jina's hands and embraced her face. "6 months ago when you were diagnosed with cancer, remember how I asked for space?" Jina nodded. "That night I went and talked to the guys and I realized that night very important thing...I need you to be in my life forever. Jina, you are my calm in the storm. You are my voice of reason, you are my peace when my heart is anxious. I have never loved anyone the way I love you, and I don't want to love anyone else. Jina Kwon you are the best thing in my eyes. You are my cutest bunny and you are the toughest fighter." Hongki smiled at a crying Jina as he backed away and moved his hand to his pocket, pulling out a small black box. "Jina Kwon. Cancer or not, I am going to stand by you. I'm not scared of the future. Cancer is nothing compared to our love, and I will cherish and love you and protect you.  Earthquake or peace, I am going to stand by you Because I always believe in you and you always believe in me. In the best moments, in the worst moments. When life flahses before our eyes but when things are ever so still,  I will stand by you. I will stand by you as your friend, your lover, your comforter and your husband..."

Jina began to sob as Hongki slowly opened the box as he fell to one knew in front of the love of his life. "Jina Louisa Kwon... Will you marry me?"  Jina smiled between her tears and fell to her knees in front of Hongki, who was now also crying. She took his face in her hands and nodded, "Yes, of course I will marry you hunky one...of course." Hongki hugged his new fiance as the room erupted in applause. "I love you so much." He whispered in her ear, continuing to hug her. "I am cancer free" she whispered in his. He pulled away just enough to look in her eyes, "You're cancer free." She nodded. "Yes, but you better still stand by me." Hongki laughed then hugged her, "Always."