one.

the sound of clarity.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

jennie had crept on to the bus, earphones plugged tightly in, and loud music booming in her eardrums. she swiped her newly bought monthly bus pass across the flat machine detector on the side, before she found herself an empty seat near the back.

her mind fluttered back to the memories of what had happened early today at university. jennie had done her best effort to avoid jiwon and the situation at hand itself. deep in her mind, she wondered if he knew that she had seen what happened. the night before was still a blur of events. everything that occurred after what she witnessed were quite difficult to recall. 

was he drunk when he had kissed irene? or was he fully sober? a tumble of questions still clustered her mind against her own free will. did they end up hooking up? or did it stop after a while?

she grabbed the ends of her hair in frustration, a low mix of a growl and sign pushed past her lips. jennie was missing out on valuable time to spend with her friends to come to some centre to volunteer and all she could do was think about jiwon.

bless the people whom politely ignored the sound that she had made. she didn't realize how loud she was until the person sitting beside her coughed awkwardly as a signal to warn her.

her cheeks flushed a light shade of red. this was even worse than her pathetically sitting by herself at the rooftop today to avoid being spotted by him in the cafeteria at her usual table.

a vibration was felt in her coat's pocket and jennie dug out her phone, checking the notification that had arrived.

 

jisoo: where are you? jiwon's asking about where you are at the   

          moment. actually, he's right here beside me in the library right 

          now. 

      

 

jennie: busy. sorry. i'll maybe talk to you tomorrow. sorry.

             

 

jisoo: oh okay. take care! irene says she missed you today.

         read on 4:15pm.

 

 

irene, jiwon and jisoo were together at the moment. jennie just snorts at this. was jisoo geninuely oblivious to it all or was this an attempt to rub in how big of a fool she was?

"next stop, fifth avenue," the machine mechanically repeats out, "next stop fifth avenue." 

jennie hastily gets her bag and stands up, pulling the earphones out of her ears, making her way down the aisle to near the door. she rapidly fixed her hair in the meantime, tidying up the loose strands and bit her lip. 

 

***

 

by the time she had strolled into the centre, she had barely made it punctual. it was almost 4:30 the time she arrived and jennie's limbs were already tired from the amount of running she did to get her. her mind was a complicated mess which led her to walk in the complete opposite direction, realizing it too late, causing her to sprint to the other side.

jennie walked to the front desk, attempting to compose herself and calm down her racing heart from all the excerise she had just done. "um hello! i'm jennie kim the new volunteer? i'm from seoul university."

the lady maneuvered herself towards jennie, checking a sheet attached to a clipboard before nodding at the words. "oh you're right here." she ticked off a name and took a name tag to pass

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter