Not What You Need

Unexpected
Please log in to read the full chapter

What you want is often not similar to what you need.

 

That’s what Luhan always tell himself whenever he faces failure. When he failed to get the best high school in his neighborhood, when he fought with his best friends, when he scolded by his parents every time they didn’t allow Luhan to buy something, when he didn’t get to join in a cool group of friend in college, or even at the most insignificant event in his life such as failed to get the last cake in his home, Luhan always thinks positively and tell himself so.

 

But as Luhan grows older, he finds it harder and harder to think positively. Or to be specific, it started to get harder when he involved in one of the most-eye-opening-occasion which happened in his life. Luhan witnessing his most trusted friend betrayed him. Many people around him regarded that event as something insignificant as the wind blows, but for him, that event has taught him to only trust and depend on himself whenever and whatever the situation is. That event also once made him questioning that words he always tells himself, is that friend not something that I need? Is it really for the best if I knew that hurtful fact?

 

He finally can brush off that thought and could get back to his positive life, credited to his positive surrounding. He found his best friends, which still remains so ‘til this day, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. The three of them met at college and Luhan couldn’t ever forget about how they met.

 

 

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

 

Back in their first day in college, Luhan used his old sneakers which really has worn-out. He found that shoe still comfy enough for him to walk, but he didn’t remember that shoe couldn’t be worn to run. When he late to reach his campus, he ran through the parking area, using his shabby shoe. He ran when all of a sudden there was someone shouting.

 

“Yah!”

“Yah!”

 

Actually, there were two people calling Luhan but he didn’t know because he thought they were calling their friends. 

 

“YAH!! THIS IS YOUR SHOE SOLE, RIGHT?”

 

And that’s the cue. Luhan finally halts his steps and reluctantly turn his head. He prayed that isn’t what his shoe do to him at his first day in college.

 

“I think this is yours,” said the big-eyed ones.

 

Luhan lifted each of his feet and found his left sole missing.

‘Well, what do I expected? When do I EVER get something that I want, though?’ Luhan thought to himself as he closed his eyes out of embarrassment (well, this is not long after that event).

 

“Yah! Is it really yours?” said the red-haired ones as he lifted Luhan shoe sole.

“…Yes, that..is..mine...,” said Luhan weakly as he walk slowly toward them, “…Thank you by the way.”

 

Luhan took his shoe sole from Baekhyun’s hand, bowed his head, and continued doing so until he arrived at his class.

Not long after, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo came to his class. They turned out to be his classmates. On top of that, they even turned out to be taking the same major. Needless to say, they turned out to be often met on many occasions, and eventually become the bestest friends (that’s what Baekhyun always address them as).

 

And Luhan even back to his old-positive-self and back to always reminding himself something that always he believed whenever he failed.

 

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

 

 

Luhan closes his eyes as he feels wind brushing his face. His light brown hair also swaying gently.

 

So calming

 

Luhan is sitting in a small café now, waiting for his bestest friends who should be here a few minutes ago. But he also mentally thanking his friends for being late. He doesn’t realize that ever since he graduated from college, he didn’t have any time for himself. He always gives all of his time for seeking jobs.

Please log in to read the full chapter