Final

Your Type
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dance was only two weeks away and Jaemin still doesn’t have a way to ask his date out. It’s not that he’s nervous or keeps forgetting, it’s just that he doesn’t know how to ask someone to the dance. It was a back to school dance for all grade levels and nothing really happens, but sometimes it’s just nice to make memories. Jaemin has no clue what do when it comes to dances.

 

“It’s just a dance. You don’t even have to ask anyone to the dance,” Jeno said, leaning back in his chair.

 

“I know, but still.”

 

“What’s so important about it? It’s not like you will remember who you took to the dance,” Mark butted in, sipping his drink. They were out eating BBQ at a close restaurant around Jeno’s house.

 

Jaemin just shrugged it off. “If you were to ask anyone, Mark, who would it be?”

 

Mark pondered for a few seconds. “Seulgi or I don’t know,  maybe Haechan.” Jaemin knew Mark had a thing for Haechan, but he doesn’t talk about it much. No one really mentions his name unless they have to or if Mark brings him up.

 

“What about you Jeno?”

 

Jeno looked up from his phone, confused for a second. “Oh yeah, um I guess anyone would be fine. I’m not picky with dates.”

 

“It’s because you never attend the dance anyways!” Mark retorts. “You always say that it’s not your thing, but when you ask out a date, you bail on her. That’s not good.”

 

Jaemin just sighed. Jeno was a bit of a playboy and he liked girls, the total opposite of him. Jeno used to make passes at him, but he never understood what they meant. Nor that he cared. It was just Jeno.

 

“So? Anyways, Jaemin has a crush on Hansol so we need to find a way to help him.”

 

Jaemin looked at Jeno and raised his brow. “Wait, are you-”

 

“We’ll help you, Jae,” Mark said, “Hansol’s going to say yes.”

 

Jaemin glanced at Mark and then looked back at Jeno. “Like I want Jeno to help me. Remember last time? Jeno ing made my date leave me for a different guy.”

 

Jaemin can see the mini eye contact between his two friends, but he chose to ignore it.

 

“I told you he was using you,” Jeno said, leaning back in his chair. “I don’t want my best friend with some guy that is going to knock you up the same night. I mean we know that you aren’t a , but with Taemin? No way.”

 

“Whatever,” Jaemin said. It was true he wasn't a , but Taemin was a good guy and he liked him, despite the 3-year difference since Taemin already graduated last year. He looked at his watch. “Oh crap, I have to go now. I promised Renjun I’d help him with his bio homework.” He stood up and smiled at them. “See you guys.”









 

Hansol was friends with Jeno and used to date his ex, Yeri. Hansol was a nice guy, but Jeno just for some reason didn’t like the guy. He was tall and pretty and everything, he was too perfect. Jeno was a bit jealous and he would admit it, but then that wasn’t the case. It was the fact Jaemin had an unfathomable crush on him.  He has nothing against Jaemin liking him or anything, but maybe he was worried for a whole another reason and he didn’t know why.

 

Jeno and Jaemin have been friends since grade school and they get along well, they fight too, but friendship doesn’t work if there are no arguments once in while. Jeno used to have a thing for Jaemin, although he never talks about it or told Jaemin or anyone. Except for Mark, in which Mark had already guessed about it during that time Jaemin was dating Johnny. Jaemin on the other hand never looks at him differently and thinks Jeno just needed to get a girlfriend or something.

 

“So Hansol,” Jeno said, sliding into next to him in the cafeteria the next day, “what’s up?”

 

Hansol just looked at him. “What are you doing here?”

 

Jeno just shrugged. “Because why not? Anyways, how are you and Jaemin?”

 

“Me and Jaemin? What do you mean?”

 

“You like him right?”

 

Hansol choked on his sandwich, “What are you talking about?”

 

“So you don’t like him?”

 

Hansol made a funny face. “I don’t know what you’re going at, but yeah I like him. He’s cool.”

 

It was by then that Yuta and Jaehyun sat down. They were seniors and Jaehyun is dating Doyoung, who is the school’s secretary and was on the same soccer team as Jaemin while Yuta was on the basketball team with Haechan. Jeno had heard from Haechan that Yuta had been crushing on Hansol for god knows how long, but Hansol never looks his way.

 

“Oh hey, Jeno,” Yuta smiled at him. “What are you doing here?”

 

Jeno just shrugged. “Nothing much. Just talking to Hansol.”

 

“He was asking me about Jaemin.”

 

Jaehyun looked up. “Dude, I just saw Jaemin outside with Ten and Winwin. You know how Jaemin pretty much has every boy crushing on him, but the kid doesn’t pay attention.”

 

“I know right? I wonder who’s he going to ask to the dance.”

 

“The kid is stupid, though,” Yuta retorted. “When he likes someone, he just likes that one person and ignores everyone else. Even Taeyong had a crush on him.”

 

“Seriously?” Jaehyun asked. “I didn’t know that.”

 

Jeno just rolled his eyes. “Well, Jaemin is my friend so you can’t talk on him when I‘m here.” He then stood up and looked at Hansol. “I nevermind about what I asked you.”



 

One thing about Jaemin is that boys and girls are crazy for him. He was pretty popular and had a reputation.



 

Jeno walked back to his table sat down. Mark and Chenle were already digging into their food. Chenle was dating Jaemin’s neighbor, Renjun, who recently transferred to a different school.

 

Chenle noticed Jeno and looked behind him. “Where’s Jaemin?”

 

Jeno just shrugged. “You know, there are so many other guys out there. Just why did he pick Hansol?”

 

“Why not? He and Hansol have been friends for a long time and it’s totally fine for Jaemin to like him. What’s your problem?” Chenle said.

 

Jeno shook his head. “I don’t have one.”

 

“Sure you don’t.”

 

A few minutes later, Jaemin came and sat beside Jeno, placing his lunch tray next to him. He started picking at his food, something he always does because he doesn’t really eat his food.

 

“Winwin just asked me the dance,” Jaemin said.

 

Everyone looked at him. Mark had stopped eating whereas Chenle had his mouth open.

 

“What did you say?”

 

“I told him I had someone else in mind. I didn’t know he like... Had a thing for me.”

 

“Jaemin,” Mark said. “Everyone has a thing for you. You don’t open your eyes.”

 

Jaemin sighed and glanced at Jeno, who was starting to eat his sandwich. Jeno then patted his back, a way of saying don’t worry. They all went back to eating and not much was said.

 

 

 







 

A few days later, it was Jaemin’s soccer game. Jaemin was already on the field doing some warms up when he saw Mark and Jeno walking up the bleachers. He looked the side and found Hansol following Yuta and Jaehyun on the other side of the bleachers. Jaemin bit his lips and walked back to the bench to drink some water and saw Doyoung throwing him his headband. He had lent Doyoung his headband the other day since he has millions of them.

 

“Oh, thanks.”

 

Doyoung smiled at him. Jaemin thinks if Doyoung was an animal, he’d be a bunny, but Doyoung was just 2 years older. He was one of the seniors on the varsity team.

 

“Your boyfriend’s here.”

 

“So is yours,” Doyoung said.

 

Jaemin was in the middle of drinking water when Doyoung said that. “Who?”

 

“Hansol of course. Who else? Jeno?”

 

Jaemin grimaced. “Why would you say that?”

 

Doyoung just shrugged and at the same time, their coach blew his whistle. It was time for the team warm up before the actual game starts. Jaemin was one of the best players on the team, having been put in varsity since he was a freshman. Everyone liked him and pushed him to the limit, but sometimes it can be pressuring.

 

After the long game, Mark and Jeno gave Jaemin a high five and Jaehyun and Doyoung shared a kiss on the bleachers.

 

“Good job Jaemin. The last goal was great,” Hansol said, giving him a hug. Jaemin smiled at him.

 

“Thanks.”

 

They talked some more and Hansol invited them to go eat dinner with Jaehyun and him.

 

“Sure, why not?” Jaemin said.

 

Jeno had followed Jaemin into the boy’s locker room to change out of his uniform along with everyone else on the team. Jaemin didn’t question it since Jeno was his friend and he tends to do this often. Doyoung didn’t come change.

 

As Jaemin was changing out of his uniform, Jeno looked away but gave him a letter.

 

“What’s this?”

 

“From Johnny.”

 

Jaemin stopped changing. Johnny was his recent ex. He didn’t understand why Jeno had this.

 

“Why are you giving me this?”

 

Jeno finally faced him, glancing at how shirtless Jaemin was. They’ve seen each other shirtless many times before. “Johnny was looking for you today. I know that you guys broke up because he graduated last year, but it doesn’t mean he won’t miss you.”

 

“Jeno,” Jaemin said, looking at him. “If he came, you shouldn’t have accepted it. I don’t want anything to do with him.” He turned away and put on his shirt. He decided not to change into his pants because of Jeno. He grabbed his snapback and put it on.

 

Jeno reached for his arm before he could move away. “Johnny said he was sorry. Long distance would never work.”

 

Jaemin groaned. “Cut it out. And please take this.” He handed back the letter. “Return it to Johnny and tell him that I don’t give a .” With that, Jaemin walked out.

 

 

 






 

Eating out with Hansol and everyone else was nice, except for the fact that Jaemin was so bothered by the letter from earlier. He tried to ignore it and pay attention to Hansol’s stories and Mark’s funny antics, but it wasn’t working.

 

Hansol had offered to drive him home after dinner and Jaemin accepted. Maybe having a tiny crush on Hansol wasn’t bad. Hansol was a pretty nice guy and all that. Jeno and Mark left to go home with Yuta, Jaehyun, and Doyoung.

 

“So you alright?” Hansol asked.

 

Jaemin nodded. “I’ve just been a bit tired and all that.”

 

Hansol smiled and together they walked to his car. Hansol owed a gray SUV. When they got in, Hansol the music.

 

“Jeno asked me a weird question the other day.”

 

Jaemin raised his brows. “Really?”

 

“Not weird, but out of proportion, you know. He asked me if I liked you.”

 

Jaemin frowned. Of course Jeno would do that. That big mouth.

 

“Well, he’s a funny guy really.”

 

Hansol just smiled. “You know Kun likes Jeno right? You should let Jeno know so something happens.”

 

Kun was Hansol’s friend who’s also in the same grade. Kun is a little bit of a nerd, but parties a lot. Even though Kun looks innocent, Jaemin knew the guy was not a or anything of the sort. He kinda thinks they would be a good match, but Jeno doesn’t go for guys.

 

“Jeno’s straight.”

 

“But you and Jeno kissed before right?”

 

Jaemin eyes grew big. Where did that come from? “What!?” He and Jeno have never kissed each other before and Jaemin doesn’t know why Hansol would ask that. Of course when they were little, kissing on the cheek was fine, but they no longer do that.

 

“You guys haven’t?” Hansol looked confused. “I just thought you guys would have done it already.”

 

“Why would you say that? We’re just friends.”

 

“Sorry. You guys just seem really close.” Hansol turned his attention towards driving Jaemin back home. Not many words were exchanged. After the ride, Jaemin thanked him.

 

“No problem. See you tomorrow?”

 

“Yeah. Bye Hansol.” Jaemin did one last look at him and turned around. When he looked back from his front door, Hansol was gone. Jaemin sighed and leaned on the door. “What just happened?” He shook his head and opened his door.

 

What was even more surprising was 2 boxes with his name on it right smack in the living room. Slowly sitting on the ground, he opened it and the box was filled with rilakkumas and hot cheetos. Jaemin immediately closed it because he knew it just had to be from Johnny. Johnny always buys him hot cheetos to make his day better and the older boy knew his big love for rilakkumas.

 

“MOM!”

 

“Don’t yell in the house!” His mother said, walking down the stairs a minute later.

 

“What are these doing here?”

 

His mother looked at the box. “Oh, your boyfriend came to give to you.”

 

“He’s not my boyfriend. We broke up a long time ago. You know that.”

 

His mother frowned. “Don’t yell at me. You can throw them away if you want. They’re yours.”

 

“Mom.” Jaemin groaned. “Did he come?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“And you accepted these from him?”

 

“Yeah. He said for you to think about it. He’s sorry for whatever he did.”

 

Jaemin just shook his head. “If he comes by again, please tell him to go away. I want nothing to with him.”

 

His mother sat down on the couch. “Stop being so bitter Nana. Just forgive Johnny and reconcile.”

 

Jaemin rolled his eyes and walked up the stairs. “Forget it. I’m going to bed.”











 

The next day was Saturday and Jaemin called Mark over to help him put the boxes away. Renjun and his boyfriend, Chenle also came over to take some of the bears and extra hot cheetos away. Mark opened up the second box and it was filled with more presents including a snapback, t-shirts, chocolate, and letters. Mark took out the letters and opened it up.

 

“These aren’t just letters. They’re quotes.”

 

“They are?” Jaemin grabbed the letter from Mark. “Of course. This is something he would do.”

 

“Wait, are these photos?” Mark reached in and took out a photo. “Oh crap, it’s printed photographs of you guys.”

 

By then Renjun was already beside them. “These are beautiful.”

 

“They are,” Mark commented. “But these are from the past. Why is he giving you these?”

 

“He wants to say sorry by giving you these presents. He wants you to reminisce your past together and realize that you miss him,” Chenle said.

 

Jaemin frowned. “I don’t want him back. He was the one who broke up with me.”

 

“They guy regrets it.”

 

 

Jaemin gave Mark a look. “He dumped me for someone else. Do you know how hurt I was? He was fours years older than me and I was just too young.”

 

Renjun sighed. “You and your older guys. Why won’t you date someone your age?”

 

Mark just smirked at Jaemin while laying on the ground. “Jaemin has standards.”

 

“Older guys tend to leave the younger ones or make them wait until their older. Dating someone older might be a good thing, but they always leave you behind,” Chenle said.

 

Jaemin sighed, looking at Chenle. “I get what you mean.”

 

After a while, Chenle and Renjun left after helping them carry the boxes out. Chenle had snatched up the snapback. Jeno had arrived by then and Mark had filled him in on what happened. Johnny and Jaemin were in love at one point, and Jaemin was heartbroken when they broke up. Johnny just didn’t want him in his future anymore and didn’t even plan on staying with him. He told him that he was sorry that they couldn’t be together and long distance would never work. A few weeks later, Jaemin found through Haechan that Johnny was dating another guy. But Johnny was his past now and he already moved on, but then this happens.

 

“Forget him, Jae. He doesn’t deserve you,” Mark said.

 

“You’re damn right,” Jaemin said. “I’m just annoyed, that’s all.”

 

“Well, he’s stupid. I don’t know why you dated the dude,” Jeno said.

 

Jaemin looked at Jeno.  “Me too.”

 

Mark burst out laughing. “Right, but hey, no one’s going to say anything. It was forever ago.”

 

Jaemin pushed him. “Don’t you have somewhere to go to?”

 

Mark looked up at the clock on the wall above the TV. “Oh yeah. I need to go now.”

 

Jeno made a confused face. “Where are you going?”

 

“It’s just Haechan,” he said and with that, he walked out the door.

 

“Are the two dating now? Well, damn took him forever to make a ing move,” Jeno said, sitting on the couch. “Haechan is in love with him, but , Mark doesn’t know.”

 

Jaemin stood and walked into the kitchen. “Want anything Jeno?”

 

“You got ice cream?”

 

Jaemin sighed. Jeno and his ice cream. Always. “Yeah, but go get it yourself.”

 

Jeno appeared behind him a moment later. “Okay.” Jaemin turned around to see Jeno opening the top fridge. “But you always have vanilla.”

 

“Why? I thought you liked vanilla.”

 

“I only liked it because you liked it.”

 

Jaemin raised his brows. “That’s the first time hearing that.” So Jeno didn’t like vanilla? Jaemin remembered Jeno having vanilla at his place.

 

Jeno just shrugged as he scooped up the ice cream. Jaemin got some water and drank it before looking at Jeno.


“What?”

 

“Kun likes you.”

 

Jeno stopped eating for a moment before looking at his friend. “So?”

 

“I’m just saying. Hansol told me that he liked you, but I don’t think he’s your type.”

 

Jeno stared at the younger boy. “My type?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Jeno looked away. “. It’s because I kissed him at the dance last year.”

 

Wait what? Hold up, how come Jeno never said anything? How come Jeno didn’t tell him? “You guys kissed?” Jeno was hiding something.

 

The blonde nodded, putting away the ice cream. “I mean I’m a playboy. I might as well just try it right? Kun was down to do it.”

 

“Jeno, why didn’t you say anything? , are you and Kun a thing or what?”

 

Jeno was already walking up to his room and Jaemin had to follow him. After they walked in, Jeno closed the door. “You can’t tell Mark.”

 

“Why not? He's our best friend, but answer the question Jeno.”

 

Jeno didn’t seem to care when he laid on his bed and the TV. He connected to the Xbox, but Jaemin grabbed his hand. “I’m kicking you out if you don’t tell me.”

 

Jeno looked at him. “No. I’m not dating Kun and I don’t want to date him. We just kissed.”

 

Jaemin stared at him. “But you like girls.”

 

“I do. We both know I love and .”

 

Jaemin rolled his eyes. “You should have just asked me.”

 

It was Jeno’s turn to raise his brows. “I know you and Mark kissed like in middle school.”

 

“And?”

 

“It’s weird. Kissing your best friend.”

 

Jaemin leaned back on his bed. “I guess, but Mark and I are okay.”

 

They were quiet for a moment.

 

“Was Johnny your first?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I mean you guys dated for 6 months.”

 

Jaemin was confused for a second until he understood what Jeno meant.

 

“Yes, he was my first.” Jaemin looked up at Jeno sitting on the edge of the bed. “But I wish he wasn’t.”

 

Jeno turned around to look the brunette. “I know a way for you to ask Hansol to the dance.”

 

“How?”

 

“You take him out on a date and ask him to the dance.”

 

“You want me to ask him on a date?”

 

Jeno nodded. “Remember when I took Lami on a date? I told her that we were going to hang out the mall and it turned out to be a date. I just asked her to be my girlfriend afterward.”

 

“Smooth.”

 

Jeno smiled at him before leaning closer. Jaemin could smell Jeno’s minty and vanilla breath. “What do you think?”

 

Jaemin thought about it for a moment. “I’ll think about it.”

 

Jeno just laughed and pulled him closer. “Hey Jae. You can practice with me. Pretend I’m Hansol.”

 

Jaemin suddenly sat up and faced Jeno. “You think I should take him on a date? It’s not like I want to date Hansol, I just want to attend the dance with him.”

 

“I thought you have a crush on him.”

 

Jaemin bit his lips. “I do. In some ways, he reminds me of Johnny.”

 

Jeno frowned. “No wonder why.”

 

Jaemin just shook his head. “Okay. Let’s do this.” He paused for a second looking at the TV before facing Jeno. “Hey Hansol, I have two tickets for a movie and I wonder if you would want to go with me?”

 

Jeno raised his brows. “Not too directly. Just say that everyone is too busy or can’t go with you.”

 

Jaemin nodded and looked into Jeno’s eyes. “Hey Hansol. I have two tickets for Saturday and my friends are busy and can’t go with me. Are you down to go with me?”

 

Jeno smiled at that. “I would love to go. Can I bring Yuta with me?”

 

Jaemin blinked at that. “Um. I only have two tickets.”

 

Jeno laughed at that. “Okay good job. What if he kisses you at the movies?”

 

“Would he? I don’t think so.”

 

“Would you kiss him back?”

 

Jaemin thought about it for a second. “Yeah. I mean do you kiss your dates at first?”

 

Jeno nodded. “I guess. Sometimes it’s hard to hold back.”

 

The younger boy just smiled and grabbed the remote. “Up for a game?”

 

“Hell yeah.”


 

 





 

After two hours of playing games, Jaemin claimed he needed a snack and went downstairs to grab something to eat. At times like this, he wished that he would have kept the hot cheetos. Jaemin grabbed the bottle of water he drank earlier and some snacks that his mother brought home the other day. When he came upstairs to his room, Jeno was laying on his bed.

 

“Get up.”

 

Jeno immediately got up and sat beside him on the bed. He took the bottle of water and drank it and Jaemin just looked at him.

 

“What?”

 

Jaemin shook his head. “Nothing. You can drink it.”

 

Jeno finally realized his mistake. “Oh, it’s yours. Then why didn’t bring me one?”

 

 

Jaemin just shrugged. “You can get it yourself.”

 

“Some host you are.”

 

“Hey, you know my house and you have legs. I’m not going to do everything for you.”

 

Jeno sighed, looking at him while slightly tilting to the side. A moment later, he said, “We should kiss.”

 

Jaemin was caught off guard as some of the snacks fell off the bed. He was about to grab them when Jeno took his hand.

 

“Are you down?”

 

Jaemin had never thought about kissing Jeno until today. When he found out that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter