Red lines

Red lines

* note: in this story, sungjong is one year in advance in school. so he's in the same class as Myungsoo.
I'm so nervous sharing this but...enjoy? Maybe XD

 

 

831794Sanstitre2.png

 

They say these red lines only connect one soul to an other. They say it's only about soulmates, the one who was made for you, the one who helps you fill this empty part of you. But what if it takes more than that actually? What if you don't need one but three persons to help you become who you need to be? What if those red lines, connections, whatever they're called, link you to more than just one person ?

 

He ran. Ran until his lungs hurt, almost falling a couple of times on his way, bumping into people without apologizing. Tears were about to escape his eyes while some students gave him strange looks. Lee Howon, the dance club captain , the manliest 3rd year student was crying... But he didn't care, he didn't even notice them, his mind focused on two things only. Firstly, find woohyun. Secondly, save sungjong. He ran from the gym where his class was about to start to the 3-A classroom, almost at the oposite side of the high school. Time is against me, Howon thought, tightening his hold onto the piece of paper he was holding, his knuckles turning white.

« Woohyun ! » He cried out as he opened the door of his best friend's classroom violently, getting surprised stares from everybody. Finding him chatting with Kim Myungsoo, Howon stepped toward him, the drops of salty water now running along his cheeks as he tried to speak. « Woohyun, help me. We need to find him. We need.. we have. »

Woohyun never saw his best friend in this state. Or maybe once, when his cat died 2 years ago. Howon liked showing a strong and fierce image but the boy was a real softy inside, and he knew he was one of the rare persons knowing that fact about him. But seeing him this depresssed, he couldn't help but feel a bad, horrible feeling in his guts. 
«  Calm down Howon, tell me what's wrong. » His best friend only shook his head, unable to speak as he tried to catch his breath, and instead, showed him the piece of paper he found in his gym bag.

Dear hyung.

I don't know how to start this letter, so I'll just get to the point directly. I'm sorry and I love you. When people say they always fight with their sisters or brothers it always surprises me, because we never do. Hyung, you're my older brother but I also see you as my best friend you know ? And, I want to apologize to you, because what I'm about to do will hurt you, I know. But I'm tired hyung, I can't do it anymore. I'm tired of this that happens to me, and i feel like i'm a burden to you, even if I know you would never think that way. You keep protecting me but next year you won't be there, and I will have to live this hell alone, and I can't.
Please, tell mom and dad I'm sorry as well. I know that they'll be sad too, and tell them I just hope they'll forgive how selfish I am. 
And also, I wish you to be happy hyung, with Woohyun hyung by your side I know you will be. This guy is like a giant fluffy teddy bear, and he makes everyone happy. But don't tell him I wrote that, he might be too happy. 

Once again hyung, I love you.
Goodbye.

Woohyun eyes were now bright with tears, understanding perfectly what this letter meant. Glancing up at Howon, he didn't know what to say, hands trembling while Myungsoo's eyes were still focused on the letter, his face pale.  « Help me find him Hyun. I don't know where to look. I thought about the rooftop but the door is always locked... » Woohyun frowned, his mind looking for answers, ideas, anything... Anything that could help. Then he remembered, that time when he saw sungjong leaving the infirmary, eyes glancing around nervously. He thought at that time that the younger Lee was just hoping not crossing path with his bullies, but then it made sense. The infirmary was right next to the professors room, a door linking the two rooms together... « Your brother is smart Howon. Let's go to the roof. »

« I will help. » A voice said suddenly, but hesitation could be sensed. The two elder students glanced toward Myungsoo, Woohyun with surprise, Howon with anger. « Don't you dare.. » he whispered angrily between his teeth, leaning closer to grab the most appreciated student by his collar. « Don't you dare approaching Sungjong right now. What he's about to do is your fault, you and these stupid jerks you call friends. Take one step out of this classroom and I'll chop your head off you hear me? » 
Feeling that Howon was serious, Woohyun hold his hand, making him release his hold on Myungsoo's collar, whispering him to calm down. « Let's go to the rooftop, that's where Sungjong is. » He said, and under Howon curious yet watery's stare, he nodded. « I'm sure he's there. » Howon pried that his best friend was right, and after a nod, they ran out of the classroom, Myungsoo's stare following them while he fisted his hand, slaming it against the table.

It was a mystery for Howon, how could Nam Woohyun be close friends with Myungsoo.. He told him they were neighboors, their houses literally next to each other, and that he had known the kid since he was 6 and Myungsoo 5. But that still didn't make sense. That's not an excuse, because Kim Myungsoo is a , full of himself and who likes to bully his precious little brother. Just because of his face, he's so famous and arrogant.. 'You don't know him Howon, believe me. ' Had once say Woohyun, but how could he believe him ? Kim Myungsoo had never done anything to make him change his mind. 
He was now used to the feeling of burnt in his ribcage, running in the stairs with woohyun beside him. A few more steps he thought, a few more. Please, tell me it's not too late. Seeing the door leading to the rooftop slightly open, he started running faster, screaming his brother's name when his figure was standing there, a couple of feets away from the void. Surprised, Sungjong turned his head toward his brother and Woohyun. There was no tears in his eyes, no sadness, just... determination. And it scared Howon even more.

« Don't do this Jongie. Please. » He begged, hot tears running down his face, his lips parted as he was panting hard, his breath echoing with Woohyun's. Sungjong only turned his back toward them, his expression now hiden as he didn't reply directly to Howon's plea.
« You're fast hyung... or am I the one who's slow ? Anyway, please, go. I don't want you to see. »

The pain in the dance captain's heart was too painful. Clenching his shirt in his fist, right above his heart, he shook his head even if the younger couldn't see him, and stepped closer. « No. Jong don't do this. I know how it's hard for you, I know you're tired, sad and angry. I know it's unfair how these guys treat you, only because of your looks, because you're slightly different. But don't do this. Things will get better, they always do Jongie. »  Silence followed his words after that, sungjong probably thinking while woohyun didn't dare to speak yet.
« You don't fully understand hyung. You can't. You see what they do to me, but you're not the one living it. Getting pushed, slapped. You don't find your school stuffs destroyed, stole.. You don't live it directly, you're a spectator. When you're around, of course they don't dare to do anything, there's just the hateful glances. But as soon as I'm alone, they throw their anger at me. Hyung, next year you'll be in college, and I'll be a 3rd year. I will be alone. There's no way I can survive a full year alone like this. » He sighed. Not from exasperation , but from pure full tiredness.

« We'll figure it out Sungjong. You can study at home, find an other high school... » 
« No hyung. »
He cutted him, preventing his brother to finish his sentence, his tone bold. He used to be so tender before, howon thought, rubbing his sleeve against his eyes to wipe the tears. « Mom and dad already told us it's impossible, and it won't change anything hyung, an other school... it will be the same, I know it. You know it. So please hyung, just go. Take Woohyun hyung with you. I don't want to jump in front of your eyes. » 

« Then we'll stay here. » It was Woohyun's turn to speak, his hand holding howon's tightly for support. He didn't even realize he did, howon didn't either probably. « Jongie, you're like a second brother to me, you know that right ? We're both the youngest, we both know how it feels to have an older brother. But trust me, Howon cares about you so much. » A faint, 'i know' left sungjong's lips, but he didn't move, staring straight in front of him. «Sungjong, listen. You're not alone. Your parents, Howon, Me.. You have us. If Howon say we'll figure something out, you can trust him. Has he ever lied to you? You're precious to us Jong. » 
A soft laugh escaped Sungjong's lips as he finally turned to look at them. It wasn't a bitter laugh, angry or desperate. It was guenine, but still cold. His eyes wandered between his brother and Woohyun, then stopped on their intertwined hands, a smile grazing his lips. « You guys... » 

The younger shook his head faintly, turning his back toward them once again, taking one more step toward the edge of the rooftop. He stretched his arm behind him to prevent them from moving, as if he knew Howon was already making his way toward him. « Nothing can change my mind hyungs, stop trying. It's okay, really, I accepted my fate. But you... » He sighed, looking for the right words, then opted to be straightforward. He might be feminine, but Sungjong was bold, maybe too much. «It's so frustrating to see you two you know ? I love you both so much, so that's why I'm gonna say this : Stop trying to help me, and help yourselves instead. » He couldn't see them, but Sungjong knew they probably stared at him with confusion now, and he smiled at the thought. «Guys, you're in love. You've been for a long time, but both of you are too scared to confess, so that's why I'm telling you. I made my choice, nothing can change that, but it's so frustrating to think I'll probably leave this world and you guys will never have the courage to confess. Woohyun hyung, howon loves you. Like, more than his best friend. And Woohyun loves you too hyung. I once noticed him staring at you with such an intense and loving stare... I was almost jealous. So please guys, do something about it.... And now leave, because otherwise, i'll have to do it in front of you. »

« I'm sorry. »

A new voice broke the silence, making woohyun jump a little from surprise. All of them turned their gaze toward the person who just joined them on the rooftop, Howon's blood boiling at the sight. « YOU ! .. » He couldn't say anything more, unable to come closer to the person as Woohyun stretched his arm in front of him, silently telling him to wait by pressing his index against his lips. His best friend's eyes showed so many feelings as he glanced at him, disbelief, anger, sadness... But he obeyed and let Myungsoo continue.

« Sungjong I'm so sorry, it's... it's all my fault. » His voice was starting to tremble, lips forming a thin line while Sungjong closed his eyes. « What do you want ? » He asked in a firm and cold tone, this time, anger piercing through it as he refused to look at Myungsoo. But the later didn't step back and at the contrary, stepped closer toward the younger, gulping silently as he tried to find courage. « I should have said something. I should have stopped my friends from hurting you. I should have made them stop... I... I've been a spectator for almost two years now and I feel terrible. I never enjoyed the way we treated you I swear, I just... » 
« So now you're sorry because I'm about to jump from here. » Sungjong cut him firmly, scoffing. « It took you two years and me wanting to kill myself to finally react?! » He was almost screaming now, tears frightening to leave his eyes as he breathed deaply. « Why are you sorry anyway, you don't even know me. »

« I do. » Myungsoo said with more confidence, silently making a few more steps toward Sungjong who didn't hear him.  « You're Lee Sungjong, Lee Howon's brother. We've been in the same class for the past two years ; you're the person I love. » Sungjong's body tensed at the last words, turning his hands into fists as he tried to control his feelings. « What are you talking about. STOP KIDDING ME. » He finally turned around, anger piercing through his eyes as he glared at Myungsoo. « Even now you're making fun of me aren't you ? » 

« No Sungjong, I swear ! I'll tell you how I know you. The day before we started our 1st year in this school, you came to take a look, see how it is maybe. It was around 6 pm. But you heard a few meows didn't you ? Probably kittens, so you went into that alley, and you saw me playing and taking care of these abandonned kittens. And you smiled at me. That's how I started being interested in you. Usually, people smile at me just because they find me attractive. If it was an other person and not you finding me in that alley, I'm sure they wouldn't care about the kittens. But you, you smiled at me because you probably found it cute how I treated them. You were... you are different. » 
He paused, looking for his words. « Then I realized we were in the same class the next day, and little by little, I started to know more things about you, just like you learned new things about me. Sungjong, am I wrong if I say that you probably like me too ? Even if I don't understand how you can still do it, after everything... Am I wrong if I say you like me not because of my face but because of who I am ? There's almost no people like you … it makes me so happy to know that you don't care about my face. And the more I got to know you, the more I realized I liked you too. »

A long silence followed Myungsoo's confession. Woohyun and Howon didn't dare to say or do anything, feeling like they shouldn't be there almost, while the younger Lee was thinking too much, probably wondering if he should trust Myungsoo or not. « Why do you let them treat me this way then ? Why do you stay still while they keep hurting me ? If you loved me ; you would try to protect me. »
« That's because I'm scared. Not of what they would think about me, I don't care ; but what they could do to you. I'm... There's a lot of people who like me, I mean my face. Some girls even made a group to talk only abut me, and I don't even want to know what else they do honestly. I'm scared that if people knew I had a thing for you, they would make you suffer even more... I'm... I'm so sorry sungjong ; please forgive me. »

A new silence, this time quickly broke by the school's ring. Turning toward Myungsoo, Sungjong smiled faintly, way too weakly, « I don't know if you're lying or not, but thanks. But it's too late. » Before anyone could reply, Sungjong stepped toward the edge, ready to jump, Thankfully, two hands gripped his shirt tightly before he could fall, pulling him backward. Myungsoo wrapped his arms around him as they felt on the ground ; Sungjong's forehead pressed against his classmate's chest. « I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. Please don't do that.. » He was crying now ; desperate. « Please... » Unable to say anything, Sungjong blinked when he felt the other tilt his head up, soon after wet lips pressing against his. Myungsoo started to peck him repeatedly, whispering he was sorry from time to time, then he kissed his cheeks, jaw, nose, eyes.. Small delicate kisses that made Sungjong's last drops of strength fade, loud sobs escaping his lips as he cried.


A few hours later that day, after the 4 of them skipped their classes, they finally decided to leave the rooftop. Before making their way toward the corridor, Myungsoo grabbed the younger's hand tightly, not showing any hint of wanting to let him go. And of course, almost everybody were looking at them ; Woohyun smiling playfully behind them, his arm wrapped around Howon's shoulders. 
« What the Myungsoo ? » Asked suddenly one of Sungjong's bullies, tilting his head. « What are you doing with the princess ? »
« Firstly his name is Sungjong, and secondly he's my boyfriend. If anyone, and I said anyone try to hurt him, I'll chop their heads off. You hear me ? »


Chuckling, Woohyun glanced toward Howon who raised an eyebrow when he noticed him. « What ? » he asked naively, wondering what was so funny.  « Ah nothing, just your brother's boyfriend looks a lot like you.... And.. hum. Speaking of boyfriends... we need to talk. »