#1

The owls are not what they seem

Hogwarts is home. Jimin can’t decide whether he feels that way or not. Despite his family being very well known in the wizarding world, Jimin himself isn’t too popular or liked. It might just be because of his family that people stare at him like there’s something wrong with him, like he’s done something so bad he might as well just become Voldemort 2.0. You see, Jimin’s family has always been sorted into Gryffindor, his family is Gryffindor’s pride. Jimin’s father fought against the most powerful wizards of all time when he was Jimin’s age and well, Jimin’s brother is maybe not the smartest but the most capable, the most powerful student of his year and has a ton of friends. 

Now Jimin… You can’t really say that about him. His whole family tries to avoid asking Jimin questions about school. You see, Jimin is a slytherin. He’s a slytherin as much as his parents the night before Jimin’s first day at Hogwarts tried to convince each other that he wouldn’t be. He’s never been mean, never been evil, never hurt anyone intentionally so it came as a shock. It was a shock to the whole school and they stared, and they still stare. It took a boy with a stare full of ice and sarcasm in his smile to teach Jimin not to be ashamed.

Slytherin is a great house, in the best sense of the word. Jimin wasn’t put into Slytherin because there was some evil part of him that had yet to arise but because he was ambitious. Nobody saw it and Jimin didn’t acknowledge it until he sat down next to the boy with icy eyes and made a friend.

 

 

“Are you up for ditching history? I sleep there better than in my own bed and I don’t feel like sleeping now”, Jeongguk walks over to Jimin’s desk where the shorter one is gathering all his books and putting them in his backpack too slowly for it to be unintentional. Jimin looks at Jeongguk with a weird look in his eyes but Jeongguk ignores it because it’s happened a lot lately. During the five years they’ve known each other, Jimin has always been a bit quiet and weird sometimes and Jeongguk has learned to not question it.

“Yeah, my brain is too dead to handle that class”, Jimin mutters a laugh, “what do you wanna do?”

“I don’t know really, I guess we could just go walk around. It’s getting warm”, Jeongguk shrugs. It’s only March but the air is warm, almost warm enough to not need a jacket. Jimin just nods, takes his backpack and the two walk out of the classroom making small-talk even though they both hate it. They walk around with no destination, sometimes stopping to look at something. After a few minutes Jimin has a wide smile on his lips, a smile that only appears when Jeongguk is around. The taller one is aware of it but doesn’t think about it too much. He’s Jimin’s best friend after all, he’s Jimin’s person. They’ve been inseparable since their sorting ceremony of their first year. Now in their fifth year of school, Jeongguk couldn’t imagine life without him. Of course Jimin will smile when Jeongguk’s around.

“We should do homework tonight”, Jimin says.

“Yeah, I guess we should”, Jeongguk answers. He’s never really liked studying other than potions. He’s really good at potions so he likes it, simple as that. Jimin is the book-smart and Jeongguk… Well, he excels in a lot of things, like sports, lying and reading people. And potions. And spells. And well, getting laid.

“If you wanna be a doctor like you said, you should study more”, Jimin goes on. Jeongguk hums silently, surprised Jimin would remember their conversation from months ago since Jeongguk hasn’t mentioned it since.

“So what, you’re gonna tutor me now?” he laughs, not harshly at all even though the words may seem a bit harsh to somebody else. Jimin gets him.

“Yeah, I could. Why not? I mean I’m no ravenclaw but I know how to study. You know that”, he looks at the taller one with sparkly eyes. Jeongguk can see he’s proud of himself. As he should be.

“I know that you’re the smartest kid around here”, Jeongguk says, pats Jimin’s shoulder and starts walking again. Now, Jeongguk might succeed at a lot of things but he fails to notice how Jimin’s expression changes after the brotherly touch, how Jimin’s cheeks turn a bit red and how it maybe wasn’t that brotherly to him.

 

 

“You want one?” Jeongguk asks and offers Jimin a cigarette. It’s a bad habit of his and he knows Jimin doesn’t approve completely even though Jimin himself also smokes from time to time.

“Sure”, Jimin says and takes the cigarette. They stand there quietly, just smoking in silence for a while. It’s that kind of a day, both just need a little bit of quiet. One day they might fly around, run around and laugh a lot and the other they might just sit there, both lost in their thoughts. That’s what’s so great about their friendship. They’re sitting in some corner they found in their second year. Nobody ever goes there so it quickly became their spot. They usually go there to smoke because it’s almost outdoors.

“Have you ever thought about what that means?” Jimin’s the one to break the silence.

“Hmm?”

“’The owls are not what they seem’”, Jimin clarifies, referring to a sentence somebody wrote on the wall. Jeongguk turns his head to look at the writing. It’s written on black, big letters with messy hand-writing. He’s thought about it. Sometimes more than the other times, never really trying to find the answer. It’s just a sentence. The owls are not what they seem. It has a nice sound to it.

“I don’t know. I guess it might not mean anything special”, Jeongguk shrugs. Jimin looks at him, just letting his eyes rest on the perfect features of his best friend. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: soo that's the first chapter! hope you enjoyed it even though it's a bit short and messy. let me know if you liked it and what you thought ^^ also if you're a potterhead (even if you aren't but you know yours) let me know what house you're in ;)