First Babysitting of Wang Uncles

Snow White and Seven Uncles

[Both Ha-Jin and So-Ho will go off to the business trip for a day, leaving Seol under her uncles’ care. Oh and her cousins will visit her sometimes. Let’s see how every uncle could take care of their adorable 10 month old niece, Wang Seol.]

 

 

“Baek-Ahn, are you sure you can take care of our Seol while we’re gone for a day?” So-Ho asked as he kept rocking his daughter.

“No problem, uncles’ are fun and mom’s are mean.” Baek-Ahn said with mischievous smile.

“I HEARD THAT!” Ha-Jin, who was at her room, yelled towards the living room.

Ten months old Seol giggled in her father’s arm. Just in time, rest of her uncles arrived at house, along with Ha-Jin’s friends. Eun-Hyuk and Jung-In were rushing to their niece but ended up tripped several times due to the slippery floor. Jin-Mu, Wook, and Baek-Ahn were laughing at their antics as Yo-Sub and Jae-Won rolled their eyes though they also came for their niece.

Ha-Jin with her clothes on and holding her luggage came out from her room. She told her husband to hand their daughter to Baek-Ahn, in which So-Ho reluctantly obliged. As he gave his daughter to his favorite brother, Seol frowned and made a small tantrum, pouting. Fortunately, Jung-In, Eun-Hyuk, Seon-Deok, Baek-Ahn, and Seol’s older cousins quickly made their funny face, lighten her mood. Ha-Jin dragged her husband and bid their family goodbye.

“Please take care of her~!” Ha-Jin said as she closed the door.

“We will!” Eun-Hyuk, Jung-In, and Baek-Ahn said.

The door opened as So-Ho yelled out: “And don’t forget to keep her away from sharp things, or I’M GONNA KILL YOU!!!” But he was once again dragged away by his wife.


After So-Ho and Ha-Jin left, all Wang Brothers and Ha-Jin’s friends were planning on what they would play with Seol. She was sitting at the center on the warm rug glancing at her uncles. Jung-In pulled out the nursing diary written by Ha-Jin and began to read what his niece likes and dislikes.

“What does it say?” Eun-Hyuk asked.

“Uhh…Seol likes stuffed animals like teddy bear, bunnies, and such. She always continuously shook her head when she feels happy.” Jung-In replied as he read over.

“Any dislikes?” Woo-Bi asked along.

“She doesn’t like serious violence and let’s just say…she’s a bit scared of you, Yo-Sub.” Baek-Ahn read for them, then smirked.

Jae-Won stifled his laughter.

“Ouch!” Jin-Mu laughed, feigned hurt for his aloof brother.

“I kinda agree with Seol, dad’s really scary.” Even Gyeong-Won agreed.

And he ended up got his cheeks playfully pulled by his father, much to lad’s embarrassment. Seeing them, Seol giggled catching her uncles’ attention as they were making an “aww” sounds with their eyes twinkling at her. With the instruction they have learned from the nursing diary, they have managed to feed her baby foods, changing diapers and playing with her. Well for the feeding, it was Yo-Sub who had done it. 

And just in time, their father Tae-Geon and mother Soo-Young came from grocery shopping. Seol’s grandmother prepared fruits for them and minced the apples for Seol. 

Grandparents and uncles are watching Seol playing with Gyeong-Hwa, Heung-Gyu, and Gyeong-Won. Three cousins were calling Seol to come over either one of them. Seol giggling happily, sat there and clapped. Wang Uncles were smiling as both Jae-Won and Yo-Sub was no exception. Eun-Hyuk asked Seol to try cute faces, in which she did unaware with the fact that her gestures had sent the cupid arrow on everyone’s heart. Jin-Mu, Baek-Ahn, Jung-In, and Eun-Hyuk “aww”ed and floundering on the floor. Seon-Deok, Chae-Yung, and Woo-Bi squealed in elation. Myung-Ha and Sang-Wook was smiling warmly at their niece while Jae-Won and Yo-Sub felt the throb inside them within second. Even Tae-Geon and Soo-Young smiled at their granddaughter.

“Seol~! Come to uncle Eun-Hyuk!”

“No! Come to you favorite uncles Jung-In and Baek-Ahn~!”

Her cousins didn’t want to lose for they all called for their little Seol. She looked at them, confused but stopped as she saw Gyeong-Won and Heung-Gyu. She began to crawl and reached for both of her older cousins. Gyeong-Won was the first to held her, but when both cousins saw the doe-like eyes of her, they stiffened, flashes of memories flew in their head.


“Gyeongchunwon orabeoni*~! Heunghwagung orabeoni*~!”

Somewhere in tenth century, five years old Seol in hanbok happily ran towards her older cousins. Gyeongchunwon smiled and embraced her. Gyeongchunwon was her only companion in Chungju household for he also babysat her since she was two years old. Smiling, both sons of fallen kings ran along with Seol, watching out for her. When she fell down and cry, they would always embrace her, kissed her cheeks to soothe her.

“D’aaw, our little princess…who will you marry when you grow up?” Mu’s son asked playfully.

Without hesitation, Seol squealed out.

“Gyeongchunwon orabeoni! I wanna marry Gyeong orabeoni~!”

Yo’s eldest son smiled heartily, but faded as he held her close. When Gwangjong had both of them executed for they were accused of treason against the king, today was their last day to spend their time with her. Seol noticed their grasp on her tightened.

“Brother? What’s wrong?” She asked as she tilted her head.

Gyeongchunwon didn’t say anything for a while, smiling sadly. He knew about her mother, Hae Soo, a long time ago, from his mother. She was described to be the most kindest woman who would always put her loved ones first and sacrifice herself. Gyeongchunwon felt the pang of guilt overflowing him. Because of him, because of his father Jeongjong, Seol’s mother was gone. It was their fault. Wang Yo would always refer Soo as a foolish wench, but his son always thought the woman was heroic for changing Gwangjong, Wang So. Now because of them, Soo was dead and the king was broken.

“Can you find one wild flower for me? Gyeongchunwon orabeoni likes Marigold.”

Heunghwagung knew the language of the flower: unfortunate affection, sorrow of parting, and the absolute happiness that will be granted. Unaware of their conflicted emotion, Seol hurriedly went to the field of flowers close by and searched around. Yo’s son bit his lips, blinking back his tears. Heunghwagung’s eyes grew saddened. Despite their fathers’ animosity, they were friends and brothers nonetheless.

“She will be fine,” Mu’s son said, “she is safe.”

“At least…, I wish my death could repay all what my father did to her mother.” Wang Yo’s son smiled as he looked at his little cousin.

‘Seol…forgive us…we cannot see stars with you anymore…’


Tenth month old Seol tilted her head, making a sound. It took both Heung-Gyu and Gyeong-Won a long time to realize Yo-Sub’s son has his eyes filled with tears. Even Jin-Mu and Yo-Sub was alarmed, for they were concerned with their own son. Tae-Geon and Soo-Young’s face grew worried also.

Sniffed back their tears, they silently apologized to their father and Seol. Gyeong-Won held her up and gave a kiss on her forehead.

“Seol-ah, I’m sorry…I must have surprised you.”

Heung-Gyu was quick to lend him tissues and Yo-Sub’s son excused himself to go to bathroom. Wang brothers admit Gyeong-Won has inherited his father’s sensitive, emotional personality. When he left, baby Seol whimpered as she was about to cry again. Cautioned, Chae-Yung picked her up and make a funny faces to cheer her up. When it didn’t work, she handed the baby to Jae-Won who also doesn’t know how to take care of child so he passed the infant to Yo-Sub and Sang-Wook. For Gyeong-Won’s father, he knows more about the baby and also it was for Sang-Wook’s own good to learn to become a father. Looking at both, Seol stopped whimpering and start her baby-talking with smile.

And both Yo-Sub and Sang-Wook made a “lalalala” sound to keep her laughing. She followed them with large eyes, once again melting everyone’s heart. Myung-Ha smiled warmly at both her husband and her niece, glad that they are getting along.

When Gyeong-Won came back, Seol squealed happily and reached out for him. Without hesitation, he held her up and played airplane for her.

“Wow, Seol really likes your boy,” Jin-Mu pointed out with whole-hearted grin, “Gyeong-Won’s a great older brother.”

Yo-Sub huffed in pride.

“Of course, my son’s quite mature for his age.”

The dinner was peaceful as Soo-Young made a baby meals for Seol who ate them within short times. Gyeong-Won and Heung-Gyu were the smart ones to remember the baby must burp to digest as one of them held her and gently patted her back. Within seconds, Seol made a small burp gaining more “aww”s from her younger uncles.

“At least my grandsons are well-raised,” Tae-Geon laughed heartily, “they will be a good father someday.”


It was nine ‘o clock, and Seol’s eyes were droopy. Baek-Ahn told his brothers it was time to tuck her unto her cradle, as Jung-In and Eun-Hyuk groaned. Woo-Bi held sleepy child and went to her room, gently tucked Seol into her bed. 

Eun-Hyuk, Baek-Ahn, Jung-In gave her a kiss on her forehead as the girls were hesitating to leave the baby alone in room. Sang-Wook led Myung-Ha to their room to rest as Woo-Bi dragged him away from the baby’s room. Jin-Mu and Yo-Sub noticed Heung-Gyu, Gyeong-Hwa, and Gyeong-Won stayed beside sleeping baby. Gyeong-Won used his palm to cover her eyes, naturally drifting her into deep slumber and take his leave. Some of Wang brothers couldn’t help but felt the fraternal affections Gyeong-Won has for his little cousin who always watch Seol with worried, yet caring eyes. Perhaps…he also has—

“Father,” Yo-Sub heard his son, “are you coming?”

He only nodded his head. Sang-Wook, Jae-Won, and Yo-Sub quietly approached to Seol was sleeping peacefully. The three approached and inspected their niece. Wang Seol was a little, saint-like child no doubt. They wonder what her life was back from the tenth century. Did she knew any of their sins, or what they have done horribly to her parents? When Seol giggles and smile at them, three uncles wonder if they ever deserve such angelic being as their niece.

Sang-Wook, Yo-Sub, and Jae-Won noticed she was suddenly whimpering. Instinctively, three of them slowly had their had reach and her hair. Sang-Wook stiffened when Seol’s small right hand grabbed his index finger and so did Yo-Sub whose finger was also grabbed by her left hand. And Seol felt peace and went back to her dream. Snoring quietly, she inhaled and exhaled with tranquility. Little did she knew, Yo-Sub and Sang-Wook felt a warmth as they unconsciously smiled.

And that’s how these prima-donnas developed a niece-complex, in which Jae-Won could point out with smile as he went outside asking Jin-Mu if he had a camera.


On the next day, Wang uncles were busy playing with her until So-Ho and Ha-Jin returns. Seol immediately reached for her mother as she hold her daughter up.

“Did you have a nice day with everyone?”

Seol only giggled.

“We’re never tired from our niece’s cuteness…” Baek-Ahn sighed.

So-Ho came from the front door and dashed towards his daughter, protective as usual.

“Seol~!!!! How was your day? Did any uncle pull a prank on you? Did uncle Yo-Sub scared you? Are you okay?!”

“HEY!” Yo-Sub yelled, annoyed.

Little Seol only squealed as she hugged her father. Everyone smiled along, filling the Wang’s household with another with laughter. But this was the birth of niece-complex upon Wang brothers. Shortly, Baek-Ahn made a “Protect Our Baek-Seol” club. Even though they have hard time choosing who’s the captain, since he must be developing the greatest niece-complex, or overprotective nature.

 

 

Note:
Okay in some chapters I might post the flashback of some characters’ life at Goryeo…but just for now…enjoy~!