Meeting The Other Side

My Ex's (And The Oh's)

Baekhyun never told Jongdae what his mom said to him, but the latter knew that something was bothering Baekhyun.

It was a week after Jongdae's mom visited and the couple was cooking dinner together.

"Mmm... it smells delicious," Baekhyun hummed, stirring the spaghetti sauce. Jongdae agreed, pouring the cooked noodles into a colander in the sink.

"You're a great cook, Bacon~" Jongdae grinned, glancing over at his boyfriend.

"Thank you." Baekhyun smiled in response. "Sauce is almost done." He turned his attention back to the cooking sauce.

"I'll set the table," Jongdae headed over to the counter, opening the cupboard above it to pull out two plates for the spaghetti.

While Jongdae set the table, Baekhyun turned the stove off, letting the sauce cook before leaving the kitchen, needing to use the bathroom.

Baekhyun was washing his hands when his phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled his phone out after he dried his hands, a smile quirking his lips when he realized it was his mom.

"Hey, mom," Baekhyun greeted his mother, holding the phone up to his ear as he waited for a response.

"My precious Hyunnie, how are you doing?" His mother cooed a response.

Baekhyun chuckled. "I'm doing great, mom. How are you?" He inquired, staring at his reflection in the bathroom mirror.

"I'm doing wonderful! Actually, your father and I came into town for a visit~ we've already checked in on Beommie and we were wondering if you'd like to meet up? Bring your boyfriend as well... Jongdae, yes?"

Baekhyun pursed his lips. "I would love to, but I'll ask Jongdae first."

"Okay, well I got to go. I love you, Hyunnie. Make sure to eat. I hope Jongdae's treating you well." His mom bid him goodbye.

"Alright. Love you too, mom. Bye." He glanced down at the blank screen, a smile on his lips. It's been a while since he's seen his parents.

"Bacon?" Jongdae's voice called, making the brunet realize he's been in the bathroom a bit longer than necessary.

"I'm coming," Baekhyun called, turning the lights off as he left, heading to the kitchen. "Sorry, my mom called." He stopped next to his boyfriend.

"Did she? What did she want?" Jongdae questioned curiously.

"She asked how I was.. my parents want to meet up sometime... you included, and I don't know, talk..?" Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck, knowing this'll be the first time that Jongdae meets his parents. And the duo tend to be... a bit overbearing sometimes.

"That sounds wonderful! I definitely want to meet your parents, especially your mom~ she conceived such a wonderful human being, I have to thank her." Jongdae winked at the other. "Hungry? I think the sauce has cooled."

Baekhyun was blushing faintly as he nodded. The two filled their plates, settling down at the small dinner table. They chatted as they ate, discussing when the meet up should be scheduled.


"Oh~ Hyunnie!" A high pitched voice interrupted Baekhyun and Jongdae's conversation.

The couple had scheduled to meet Baekhyun's parents at the cafe Jongdae gave Baekhyun his phone number at. They had gotten there a bit early and were already sitting at a table, chatting as they waited.

A woman in her early fifties was nearing their table, a wide smile on her lips. A man of the same age was following after her, at a slower pace and a blank expression.

"Mom!" Baekhyun jumps up, his mom engulfing him in a big hug the moment she was standing next to him.

"I've missed you," his mom tightened the hug before letting go, turning to look at Jongdae.

"Hello." She seemed extremely bubbly.

"Hello, Mrs. Byun. It's a pleasure to meet you," Jongdae politely bowed, turning his attention to Baekhyun's father as well.

"A pleasure to meet you too, Mr. Byun."

"Oh, you can just call me Baekhee." Baekhyun's mom smiled widely at the young man.

"Oh, okay, Mrs- Baekhee." Jongdae fumbled slightly. He offered a seat to the woman, pulling the chair out for her.

Once everyone was seated, Baekhee turned to Jongdae, a curious expression on her face.

"So, Jongdae, you're so much more handsomer in person! Hyunnie's description doesn't do you justice." She clapped her hands together, as if pleased that her son caught a handsome one.

"Thank you, Mrs- I mean, Baekhee." Jongdae was a bit flustered, stumbling over his words again.

She only smiled, glancing over at her unusually stoic husband.

"Daehyun, say something," she poked her husband's arm.

"You're a... polite boy," was all the man said, lips pursed as he stared down the other.

Jongdae smiles nervously. "Thank you, sir."

Baekhyun was leaning back in his seat, wishing he had some popcorn to enjoy as he watched Jongdae interact with his parents.

"What do you do for a living?" Baekhee inquired, curious.

"I'm currently working at my friend's cafe." Jongdae replied, not mentioning that he owns a part of it.

"Oh, that's nice.." she glanced over at her husband, having a feeling that he wanted to say something.

"Have you ever gotten into trouble?" Daehyun questioned the boy, staring him down.

Jongdae blinked at the sudden question. "No...? I haven't." He hoped he didn't sound too unsure of himself.

Daehyun only nods, leaning back in his seat.

Baekhyun was holding himself back from laughing, thinking nervous Jongdae was cute.

"So! How did you two meet?" Baekhee inquired, curious.

"We met at a bar.. but we didn't actually hold a substantial conversation until I gave him my phone number here." Jongdae replied.

"Yeah. And he calls me Bacon." Baekhyun pouted, obviously trying to get some sympathy points, though maybe in reality, he's trying to help Jongdae out.

"Bacon?" Baekhee laughs, shaking her head at her son.

Daehyun snorted. "Bacon..." Baekhyun's father focused his gaze on Jongdae again, rather intense before a sudden smile took over his facial features, not looking so intimidating anymore. "I like your sense of humor."

Jongdae blinked at the sudden change in Baekhyun's father, though he smiled back nonetheless. "Thank you, sir.."

"Call me Daehyun." Daehyun corrects the other.

"O- Ok, Daehyun." Jongdae was not used to calling his friends' parents by their first names.

While Jongdae and Daehyun chatted, Baekhyun was trying to decipher his mother's wild gesturing. He finally got it when she pointed at him and mouthed the word 'leave'.

He made an O and suddenly stood up, not noticing his mom's face palm.

"I, uh, got to go to the bathroom... I'll be right back." He smiled at his boyfriend's flash of panic before he disappeared.

Although Daehyun's expression read friendly, the sudden aura emanating from him screamed 'not friendly'.

"Jongdae." That one word scared the curly haired male.

He looked over at Daehyun, blinking fastly. "Y- Yes, sir..?"

Daehyun didn't even correct the other. "Take care of my boy. Or else." His smile seemed a lot more threatening than friendly.

"Y- Yes, sir." Jongdae gulped, glancing over at Baekhee, who also seemed a lot more scarier now.

"I don't want anything to hurt my precious baby," she started. "But I believe you're not going to hurt him... are you?"

"N- No, ma'am!" Jongdae was starting to sweat buckets.

"Great," Baekhee clapped her hands together, the frightening aura dispelling almost immediately. "Remember, it's Baekhee. Ma'am or Mrs. Byun makes me feel old."

Daehyun chortled good-naturedly. "You're not old to me."

As the older couple smiled lovingly at each other, Baekhyun came back to the table, pleased to notice the relaxed air, unaware of what Jongdae was put through.

Jongdae was so glad to see Baekhyun, his lips stretching into a wide smile. One Baekhyun's parents didn't miss. They shared a smile and glanced over at the young couple.

"I'm so glad we got to meet Jongdae," Baekhee murmured to her husband.

"He's not bad.." Daehyun murmured back.

Baekhyun and Jongdae were having their own small conversation.

"Are they talking about me? I feel like they're looking at me.." Jongdae whispered to his boyfriend, trying to subtly look at the other's parents.

"Yeah. They're talking about you," Baekhyun replied, amused.

"Yah. At least comfort me. They were so scary," Jongdae whined, pouting at his boyfriend.

Baekhyun laughs, reaching a hand over to grab Jongdae's, intertwining their fingers together.

Jongdae stopped whining, a warm smile on his lips as he looked down at their hands.

"What a cute couple." Baekhee suddenly said, surprising said couple.

Baekhyun coughed, trying to hide his sudden blush. "M- Mom.."

"What? I'm just stating the truth." Baekhee smiled at the two. "Well..." she cast a meaningful glance at her husband before continuing. "We should get going. Leave you two lovebirds by yourself." She stood up, seemingly satisfied with how this meeting went.

Jongdae and Baekhyun stood up, following the older couple to the door.

The small group were saying goodbye outside of the cafe.

"We hope to see you again, Jongdae." Baekhee smiled at her son's boyfriend while Daehyun held a hand out for Jongdae to shake.

Jongdae shook it, holding back the grimace when Daehyun's grip turned a bit tight.

Baekhee hugged her son, whispering something into his ear, causing Baekhyun to turn a bright red.

"M- Mom!" A scandalized Baekhyun shrieked.

Jongdae glanced over at Baekhyun, shaking his hand, as if trying to rid himself of the sudden pain Daehyun's grip gave him.

"Hehe," Baekhee giggled, stepping back to let Daehyun hug his son.

"Alright. Well, bye you two~ oh, and Baekhyun! Don't forget." Baekhee winked at her son. The older couple left, leaving Baekhyun and Jongdae standing in front of the cafe.

"What was she talking about?" Jongdae inquired, looking over at a still blushing Baekhyun.

"N- Nothing," Baekhyun was trying to get rid of his blush.

"L- Let's go home." The brunet suggested instead.

"Ok," Jongdae easily agreed, smiling.

"Your parents are nice... scary, but nice." Jongdae suddenly commented on their way home.

"Scary?" Baekhyun blinked over at his boyfriend.

"Scary." Jongdae confirmed, not giving the other any more information than that.

"But, that's cool... I think they accepted me after our talk.." Jongdae said, though more to himself than to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun only smiled.

He could see a future with him and Jongdae. And he was looking forward to it.