001 Seed

Of black roses & bright green gardens
Please log in to read the full chapter

The birds outside sang for a new day beginning and Minseok was staring at the mirror in front of him. A man worked the last of his suit, carefully stretching the cloth so it wouldn’t appear any creases. The man placed a small white napkin in his left chest pocket, fixing the silk beautifully. Minseok wasn’t sure how much his pay was but he surely had a keen eye for detail work.

“You’re ready, sir.” The man glanced him over, circling once around him and Minseok felt almost exposed under his strict stare. “You may go. It’s time already,” the man added with a quick look at his wrist watch.

Despite the mess in his head, Minseok thanked the man for his work and bowed his head before leaving the room. It was the last time he was in that room—his room. He’d grown up in that bedroom since three years old. It had been a haven for him for twenty whole years. Now it was time to say goodbye to that as well.

He took his time walking down the halls as if he wanted to scribble down the paths in his mind for the last time. All the pots of green exotic flowers, all the paintings hanging on the walls—he wanted to memorize every single detail before he left his parents’ house forever.

It wasn’t his choice to marry.

Of course he’d always wanted to marry once he was of age. Move out of his childhood house and into another, where he would be able to raise a family with his significant other. Maybe even have a huge garden for when he’d be too old to work and would have free time. A huge house that’d be big enough for his family to visit and his grandchildren to sleep over.

It’d be nice, spending your whole life with someone you loved.

But here comes the red carpet and Minseok is frozen, because he’d always been wishing for this moment but never himself in such situation. The man at the altar was old, past forties at least. He was unknown to him apart from the things he’d heard about him.

The man was Ryon Jitae, a man of status amongst the whole region. His family name was known across the country as they had a very successful car company. As far as Minseok knew, he also had two sons and considering their , he was sure they were all older than him.

He knew marrying was the right choice for his family but the pitied glances directed at him as he walked down the red carpet made his footing falter. All those rumors traveling around the community about how unfaithful and abusive the old man was rushed in his head. Stories of both physical and psychological abuse surrounded the man wherever you told his name. There was also a rumor going about how his previous and third wife had hung herself for those same reasons. Let alone that the man proudly strode past midnight each night with a different woman under his arm, intoxicated from expensive and high-class booze. He had no shame and surely no regrets for his actions.

But Minseok’s parents insisted he would be fine. He’d have a happy life with such an economically steady presence by his side. In fact, they said he’d thrive with the man due to the status he’d gain only by connecting himself with him through this marriage.

The glances he got told of an entirely different story, however.

The distance got only shorter and Minseok stood in front of a tall man with graying hair. He wore an expensive-looking charcoal suit, nicely fitting his already lanky figure. However the case, Minseok was scared of what was beneath it and he was more than worried about their first night together. If he hadn’t been holding on the bouquet, he was sure he’d collapse then and there from anxiety.

The whole ceremony was a blur for him. He’d totally out since the first words to leave the pastor’s mouth. His wide eyes couldn’t leave the face of the man standing in front of him. He almost looked fake, almost as if he was wearing a mask to hide something—what it was, Minseok wasn’t sure of. But at the same time, he was afraid to find out.

He had to be pinched by the man standing behind him to voice his vows and the fatal “I do”.

Everything finished as quickly as it’d began and Minseok found himself thanking the guests for attending the wedding and accepting half-hearted congratulations and wishes of a happy life together. But Minseok could see it in their eyes, the pity, the worry, the relief that it was him and not another poor woman. It was all there to remind him that all of this was as fake as it could get, to remind him that this was entirely different to what he’d been dreaming since a young child.

Everyone moved to sit in the numerous tables stacked across the big backyard. Butlers and waiters walked amongst them to offer glasses of alcohol and small bites of starters. People were chatting happily and Minseok watched them from his husband’s side.

Truthfully, he felt too uncomfortable sitting there with nothing good to say. He just wanted everything to end. Somewhere from his side he heard his father go on and on about the future of their company to Jitae who seemed to be half-engaged in the conversation. Minseok had no one to talk to and even if that should have left him content, he was restless.

Today marked the last of his life back at his home.

And tonight would mark a new start he was not ready for yet.

***

It was a month later that Minseok met his husband’s sons.

The dinner table in front of him was full of perfectly made dishes that smelled and looked delicious. Everything arranged so beautifully, numerous silver spoons and forks aligned next to expensive sets of plates. As he was led inside the room by the household’s butler, he found three men and a woman standing, of which he recognized only his husband.

Kris, the tall young man standing by the side of a woman was the eldest son, as Jitea told him. He was his heir that’d take over all of his business matters once he could no more. He’d just come from Japan and China where he’d talked with men of status about expanding their company some more. He wore expensive suits and stood with a straight, proud back. His eyes were piercingly cold but Minseok would later find out he was much warmer than he looked.

By his side stood a tall woman wearing a beautiful dress with her hands clasped in front of her. She was the only daughter of a businessman much like Jitae. They’d made an agreement of arranging a marriage of them two to join their companies. Minseok thought she was forced into it like him but he found a spark of real love in her eyes when she as much as gazed Kris’ direction. He assumed she was probably better off than him, in the end.

Last was the second son, Luhan, a young man with bronze hair and a handsome face like his brother’s. He was also casted in designer clothing but his eyes were unreadable to Minseok. He’d come from the distant West after a long trip to numerous, other cultured countries. However, he wore an expressionless face that made Minseok wonder if it was a sense of self-defense or if it was really his character that was so mysterious.

He was placed to sit between his husband and the woman, whose name was foreign and he hadn’t really caught it the first time he was introduced to her. The dinner started quietly and for the most part, Minseok enjoyed the silence. He wasn’t sure how he felt about being the youngest present, so he avoided speaking up in case his words unsettled or offended anyone. Let alone that he felt like an outsider. It was obvious he was the new face in this family and he didn’t want to risk any bad first impressions to people who held more power in their hands compared to him.

“So what news do you have from China, Kris?” Jitae asked as he cut into the steak and Minseok momentarily raised his head only to lower it back down when Luhan send him a strong stare.

“They are not that willing to cooperate, father.” Kris’ voice was deep, sure of his words. “I am planning on meeting up with them sometime in the short future in hopes of changing their minds.”

“And Japan?”

“They agreed but their contract has some questionable terms I want you to review after dinner.”

“That’s good,” Jitae concluded. Then, he addressed his younger son. “Luhan, what about you? How is Europe?”

“Beautiful, advanced, entirely industrial. They have already a fare share of their own local companies but they are interested in foreigners, especially importing different kinds of technologies and spices. They are also pretty interested in our cultures so I invited some businessmen over if they want to take a look for themselves.” Luhan’s voice was less deep than Kris’, still coated with traces of early adulthood. Minseok stole a glance of him in interest.

“Very good news then!” Jitae smiled slightly. “When are you going to find a woman to marry? You’re already old enough and your brother’s wedding is planned next month. You know you should settle down before you reach twenty-five.”

The atmosphere suddenly became tense and Minseok heard a fork scratch a plate a bit too forcefully. He stole another glance and found Luhan sending a mild glare at his father.

“I am well aware of that, father. I will settle down when I will be able to settle down.”

“You have a year left, Luhan.” Jitae glared back, growing the tension some more. The woman by Minseok’s side slowed down in her movements, almost as if anticipating something she was afraid of. “Make it quick.”

A moment of staring passed and in the end, it was Luhan who broke the eye-contact and looked down at his plate without an answer. Jitae was not pleased to say the least. But the response he was probably waiting to hear didn’t come either way. So he cleared his throat and changed the subject.

“Minseok is my new husband. I expect you to respect him and treat him nicely.”

Now, it was Minseok who froze in action and looked up to meet eight eyes on him. He wouldn’t lie, he felt uncomfortable under their judging eyes. He didn’t make a sound and somehow, Jitae didn’t care enough about it.

The dinner lasted a little less than an hour when Kris and Jitae excused themselves and walked off to the latter’s office, taking the tension with them. Luhan and the woman started a conversation and talked for a while before excusing themselves as well and left to the living room. It was then that Minseok fully raised his head and looked ahead of himself.

He couldn’t really understand why he felt so unwelcomed but he didn’t let that thought evolve further in his mind. He was just glad he’d gone through it without voicing a word.

He knew he’d just have to get used to this for the next month until the marriage happened and everyone scattered. He’d be left alone again and he just yearned for that even more so now that everything pointed at him being an unwanted guest.

Minseok leaned against the back of the chair, eyes starting to become wet at the edges. He’d just have to endure this, he’d just have to endure everything from now on.

His say in any matter would fall on deaf ears anyways.

***

It was early in the morning when Minseok’s eyes snapped open. He’d be lying if it was the first time since he moved into this mansion.

Nothing felt familiar yet. It all was so much different compared to what he’d gotten used to until then. It felt wrong.

Please log in to read the full chapter