Chapter 3

Jaded

Yi watched on as Bong and Dahee kissed, so did Areum and Jina. All three of them were taken aback by Bong’s kiss. Yi turned to walk out and Areum followed. “Do not, under any circumstances, let Dahee know Yi was here.” She said to Jina now running after Yi. “Hey, Yi, stop. HEY!”

“What Areum, what do you want?” Yi was beside himself. What he had witnessed had upset him, here he was to talk to her and win her back and instead she was locking lips with someone else. Had she moved on so quickly?

“What the hell are you doing? Why are you here Yi?” Areum was pissed. She was not his fan, not even a little. 

“I made a mistake. I wanted to talk to Dahee, I wanted to ask her to forgive me and take me back, but...but, why the hell is she kissing Bong?” Yi paced back and forth, he was seething, and he wanted to go beat up the man kissing his woman. Areum laughed.

“You’ve GOT to be kidding me. You want her back? You want to waltz back into her life?” Areum approached Yi and stopped him. “Look at me Yisang.” He looked at her, sadly. “You don’t get to come back in, not now not ever. You, you broke up with her, on Christmas. You ignored her. You made a girl who once believed in love become jaded and sad. You don’t get to come back. She doesn’t need you or want you.”

“How do you know that? What makes you so almighty and powerful Areum?” Yi huffed and began to walk past. Areum grabbed his arm.

“I am her best friend, Yisang. I know her. She will love you until the day she dies, but she doesn’t need you. You didn’t even fight for her, you hurt her, I watched her hurt, I listened to her cry, I watched her drink away the sadness. I will never allow you back into her life. Never. Go, go be with you family Yisang and leave Dahee alone.”

“You don’t get to choose this for her. She makes the choice.” Yi said.

“Alright, then go ask her the choice she’d make Yisang.” Areum stepped aside and allowed Yi to head back into Mill Bar. He stormed his way into the room.

“DAHEE!”

Dahee and Bong finished their kiss and Bong pulled away. “I’m sorry, I just. I just.” Dahee shook her head. “No. Don’t be. I, I liked it.” Dahee held onto Bong as they simply stared at each other. “Dahee I need to tell you something.” Dahee looked up at Bong, “Sure. Of course what is it?”

“I really….”

“DAHEE!” Dahee whipped around to see Yisang standing there, hands in fists, fuming.

“Yisang?” Dahee looked at him, and then back at Bong, then back at Yisang, then back at Bong, “Did you just kiss me to hide Yi from me?” She let go of his hand and then folded her arms. Bong looked at her then at Yi then back at Dahee, he couldn’t lie, it was not in his nature. “Yes, kind of but…” Dahee sighed and then half laughed, she was stunned. “You .” She left and walked away from Bong and then passed Yi, passed Jina and passed Areum and ran outside. All of them followed her and each tried to talk. But she lifted her hand and shut them up. “No. No. I don’t want to hear from any of you right now.” Dahee began to walk away then slowly turned around, staring directly at Yisang, eyes filled with tears and anger. “What do you want from me?”

“I want you back.” Yisang said, straightforward. Dahee laughed. “But you were kissing Bong, you were kissing Bong, Dahee, did you move on?” Yisang attempted to approach her.

“No. stop. Yisang, I don’t want you back, ever. What you said and did to me, nothing can erase that.You had given me a ring, you had promised me forever, you and I had made plans and then after one talk with your mom, you can't decide if you want me or not? That's not fair. That's a cowards way out. Yi, one talk can not give you that much doubt, not when before you have stood up to your mother. I know there is something more and I don't even care, because when it comes down to it, you are a coward. A coward who's happiness is going to run by your mother. If that is how you wish to live your life than so be it. But, Yi, the fact that you ignored me and acted as if my existence didn't matter, that hurts probably the most in all of this."

"I was hurting Dahee, I needed time and space, seeing you and talking to you was painful." Yisang said attempting to walk towards Dahee.

"So, It doesn't mean you get to treat me like that. Tell me then, tell me that you need some time, don't just ghost me and cut me off. That's painful. You and I had not only love but friendship and you couldn't have the decency to tell me you needed time. You just ignored me. That's not fair. Not when you had loved me so much and had, at one time, wanted to marry me. Yi, I don't ever want you back, I wanted you as a friend, but even now, I don't want that. What I want is to remind you that you create your own happiness. Living by your mother's rules will only last so long. Some day you are going to be sitting there wondering where all your excitement and adventures went and you know what, you're going to realize pleasing you mother, did that. I get wanting to make her happy, but there is a certain point at which it just doesn't work that way. At all. I love my parents but I live my own life, because I am an adult. And so are you. So don't use that as an excuse. I think in the end you were scared and maybe yes your mom gave you an ultimatum, but you still hurt me and you made me realize that even though I love you, being with you will never work out. So move on, let me move on...ok?"

"You moved on fast with Bong over there didn't you Dahee? You must have really loved me, huh." Yi whined.

"I do love you Yi, but love is often not enough, especially in our case. And as far as Bong and me, that is none of your concern, you forfeited all rights to my heart and my life the day you left. You don't get to work your words and poetry to get back into my life. So, as far as I am concerned, you can burn. I won't be discussing anything related to my love and future with you. Whatever you saw in there, is between me and Bong, that's it. You know he's been more of a friend and I trust him more than I do you.” Dahee pushed past Yi and towards Bong, whose head was hanging low. “And you, oppa, how dare you. How dare you take advantage of my vulnerability? I thought you of all people would be different.”

“Dahee, I didn’t, I am not like that, please.” Bong pleaded, but Dahee didn’t want to hear it.

“You all, can leave me the hell alone, I am gonna go to my grandmothers for the night.”