In confidence.

The betrothal gift.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Xiao-xiao sat numbly at the end of the table next to her father, engaging in trivial gossip with false enthusiasm.

She looks so beautiful and so sad.

She sat there numbly, picking at the silver cutlery and fraying the Venetian lace that lined the tablecloth. Next to her, with an equally emotionless countenance, was Jun-hui.

"Xiao-ah. You look very beautiful today," her father murmured quietly in her ear. He placed a liver-spotted, wrinkled hand on her white and smooth one, squeezing it reassuringly. "Are you feeling better?"

She turned to face him and smiled tiredly. "Yes, I've been sleeping better. Please don't worry about me."

Facing the front again, her face resumed the cheerful face of a newlywed, a happy bride.

How long has it been now?

Nearly a month. Yes, they've been married for a month. How quickly time flies.

He glanced over at Jun-hui who seemed to be looking ahead morosely, his sumptuous breakfast untouched. Xiao-xiao and Jun-hui had hardly exchanged a word the entire morning. He returned his gaze to Xiao-xiao whom was now placing food silently into .

How long has it been now?

She placed the fork down upon the table, before turning her head just slightly to catch the side profile of Wen Jun-hui, her husband. She knew their marriage was loveless and that all the vows they had recited before God were not true. They never consummated their marriage. The first night, she slept alone in their grand bedroom, the bridal lingerie left untouched at the foot of the bed. It was alleged that Jun had spent the night at his mistress' apartment in Jiang-su and did not come home until the evening after. She knew he had a woman on the outside and that this woman was enough reason to cause him to disappear for days on end. She often ate dinner alone and at the rare instances they did eat together, he often excused himself early and retired to his study. Each avoided the other as much as it would allow them. They were strangers bound by the sacrament of marriage.

I want you to know that although I am married to you, I do not love you nor will I ever love you. You understand, right? Let's just get through this.

Those were the words that he had said to her that evening. She had felt nothing and had nodded wordlessly. There was nothing to be said. What could she do? She couldn't stop him and more importantly, she didn't want to. All she could feel was self-pity.

She could still remember that day.

He was standing near the window and she, sitting on the bed. She remembered that he had turned to look at her before he left and the look in his eyes, she could not forget.

It was the look of sincere regret. As if he was truly sorry for her situation and for his, as well.

Ever since she had entered the Wen's estate ground, it was quietly understood that no one really took her seriously or really cared about her at all.

Jie-qiong, the wife of the eldest son (Jun was the second and youngest son), was the worst. She would often ridiule and humiliate Xiao-xiao at every opportunity, as she, too, knew that Jun did not love his wife and she seemed to take a lot of delight in this fact.

We're not family, Xiao-xiao. I don't expect anything from you, dear sister-in-law, so don't push yourself too hard.

And when she rebelled and defended herself, Jie-qiong would look pitifully at her, a satisfied smirk on her face.

Your father would have nothing if it wasn't for our family's support. Do you think just because you have money and power now, you can talk t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter