Story characters.

The betrothal gift.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Story characters

The Cheng family

Cheng Xiao-xiao (程瀟瀟)

Cheng (Wen) Xiao-xiao is the daughter of Cheng Yan-lin and the wife of Wen Jun-hui. She is a warm 22-year-old with a heart of gold, and loves her father more than anything in the world. Although she spent most of her childhood in Shenzhen, China, she went to Ewha Women's University, Korea, for her tertiary studies. Because of contracting issues between her father's small construction company and a powerful business conglomerate, Xiao-xiao had no choice but to return to China to rescue the contract termination and pacify the tension between the two families through an arranged marriage.

Will I have love, or will I be loveless?

Cheng Yan-lin (程燕林)

Cheng Yan-lin owns a small, yet growing, construction company that has headed many construction projects for one of China's most powerful business conglomerates, Wen Group. He has one daughter, Cheng Xiao-xiao, whom he loves dearly. He is hard-working and honest, but has a drinking problem which he tries to hide from Xiao-xiao. When Xiao-xiao was 21, he accepted an arranged marriage proposal from Lady Wen to avoid the termination of an important contract. Although he feels morally conflicted by involving his daughter in what is essentially a business transaction, he does not regret his decision. 

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

The Wen family

Wen Jun-hui (文俊辉)

Wen Jun-hui is the youngest son from the Wen family, a powerful, highly-regarded Shanghainese business family with strong ties to the military sector of the government. He is a typically handsome and charismatic 23-year-old fuerdai (a pejorative term used to describe Chinese trust-fund babies) and a well-known playboy. After his marriage to Cheng Xiao-xiao, a business partner's daughter, he was given a senior position at his father's company. Although a married man, he is rumoured to have a mistress, Xuan-yi, as he does not love Xiao-xiao and acknowledges their relationship as simply business. However, his indifference towards her begins to waver when he meets Xu Ming-hao, his wife's attractive bodyguard.

Don't forget that you are married to me, not him.

Wen Chang-ying (文昌莹)

Wen Chang-ying is the wife of Chairman Wen and Lady of the Wen Manor. She is also mother to two sons, Wen Jun-ming and Wen Jun-hui. Lady Wen Chang-ying is the daughter of a former military general and is a talented player of the Chinese erhu. She likes to host tea parties and charity galas with other affluent wives of powerful businessmen. Although she is a formidable and capable woman, she has a kind heart and often feels sympathetic towards her newest daughter-in-law, Cheng Xiao-xiao. She does not know that Jun-hui has a mistress.

He is still young and has not settled yet. He will know his place soon.

Wen Jun-ming (文俊明)

Wen Jun-ming is the older of the two Wen sons. He has been married for three years to Miss Zhou Jie-qiong, winner of the 2013 Miss China pageant. He is very close to his brother, Jun-hui, and finds his brother's n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter