Night Rambles

Friends

Joshua was lying in bed in his room, surrounded by 3 other sleeping figures. He personally wasn't very sleepy. He sighed and got up, pacing around the room, as if that would somehow help him fall asleep.
Suddenly the dorm room creaked open. At first Joshua's instinct was to fling himself back onto the bed before he got in trouble for being up and about this late, but just as he was calculating how he could land under the covers in one leap, a definitely-not-an-adult individual peeked into the room.
Vernon.
"Oh, Joshua, you're awake?" He was clinging to the doorframe, looking unsure.
"Uh..yes?" he replied, choosing to avoid saying something sarcastic like "No this is Joshua's twin brother, obviously." Since that's just the kind of sweet person he was.
"Um..can I sleep here? With you?"
Well, that was unexpected. Vernon never requested things like that.
"Er, yeah, sure."
Joshua got into his bed, which had enough space next to it for Vernon to fit. 
"Okay, so why...?"
Vernon sighed, pressing his hand to his temple. "Seungkwan's snoring is driving me insane."
Understandable. 
"I see. Well, get to sleep. We have a big showcase tomorrow."
Vernon nodded and rolled onto his side, his hair a messy tuff on the sheets. After a few moments, though, he rolled back over, seeing Joshua still awake.
"I can't sleep," Joshua confessed, seeing Vernon's eyes trained on him. 
"Me neither."
After a pause, he then added-
"Hey Joshua, can I ask you something?"
"Go ahead."
"How's Korea?"
Okay...that was random. He turned to look Vernon in the eyes.
"Um..nice?"
"I mean, like, well this's been bothering me for a while actually, but it's obviously different from America, and I wanna know what you think of all this."
Taken aback, Joshua blinked a few times.
"I-um...it's definitely different. Um..." he trailed off, unsure of what to say.
"I know that for one thing," Vernon said, gazing up at the ceiling, "guys in America are a lot more...reserved? But in Korea, there's more, uh, physical contact between them."
Joshua nodded. "Yeah, that's way different."
"What do you think about that?"
Vernon sure was asking a lot of questions today. Whatever. Joshua had nothing to lose, anyway.
"It's a nice change, to be honest," Joshua admitted. "There's no awkwardness between guys like in America. Easier to build friendships and keep them."
Vernon grinned. "I like it too."
"So...why all of a sudden...?"
The younger boy shrugged. "Just curious. Actually, there's a lot more I wanna ask you, but you're probably tired, so maybe later."
Ha, as if.
"No, that's fine, you can ask me now."
"Uh, well...do you ever feel out of place? Here, like in Korea?"
Joshua smiled.
"Sometimes."
Vernon nodded knowingly. "Yeah."
"Anything else this curious dongsaeng wants to know?"
Vernon bit his lip.
"Will you...um...always be with SEVENTEEN? Like, until the end?"
Okay, drowsy, late night Vernon was definitely a stark contrast from the usual. Was this what he'd been worrying about? Joshua bit back a laugh, seeing Vernon's serious expression.
"Of course," he said firmly, squeezing Vernon's hand.
Vernon smiled sleepily. "Me too." Alright, Joshua decided that he absolutely liked this cute side of Vernon. 

Soon after, they both fell asleep, oblivious to the fact that the next morning, they would be surrounded by fellow roommates who would question why someone else was in their dorm, why he was sleeping comfortably with Joshua, and why the pair were holding hands in their sleep.

Oh well, that wasn't super important anyway.