Comfort

Friends

Joshua groaned for the trillionth time. Vernon gave him a sympathetic pat.
"Chill out, dude. You just got here a few months ago. You'll get the hang of it all eventually."
Joshua pressed his hand to his temple, trying to hide his agitation. He had recently-ish joined SEVENTEEN, however, he was at a slight disadvantage compared to the other members. That is, his Korean and knowledge of Korea was sparse.
"It's just-it's frustrating. I can't communicate what I want to say sometimes cuz I don't know the Korean equivalent. And I mean, I'm Korean, so it's just double the embarrassment. Honestly, if you weren't here, I don't know what I'd do," he confessed. Vernon raised his eyebrows, trying to hide a smile. 
Even though Joshua was like, 3 years older than him, they got along like chocolate and vanilla (a great combination, by the way, for all y'all who pick one over the other). Vernon had been elated when he found out that another English speaker was joining the fray. Finally, he thought. Someone I can talk to about...American things. Joshua was very calm and easygoing, something Vernon appreciated, though he never said so. They talked like old friends. It was great. 
Joshua, in truth, was very unsure about his own skills. He was constantly reassessing himself, his brow furrowed in concentration. As the months passed, his Korean had improved greatly, though he still had issues reading/writing it. Vernon tried to help him out whenever he could, trying not to let his reverie show in his expression. In all honesty, he admired Joshua very much. The guy came all the way from America, on his own, to become a singer. Even after they'd debuted, Joshua still choked up whenever he'd talk about his parents all the way back home, though he never cried, which Vernon couldn't help but marvel at. Vernon found that his eyes always followed Joshua when they were doing things. Joshua had many sides to him as well. For one, he was honestly so cheesy it was embarrassing. He was also hilarious at times, and Vernon was sure he'd laughed more times at Joshua's antics than anyone else's. He was also caring, and watched out for the other members.
And he was just a great friend in general. 
As the days together as a band passed by, Joshua started opening up a lot more to Vernon.
"I did horribly," Joshua muttered, dismayed. They'd rewatched their stage for Pretty U, and Vernon understood where he was coming from.
Joshua, leading the chorus, had started half a beat earlier, so he was completely out of rhythm with the rest of the members. Still-
"It just looks like a pretty cool choreography move, if you ask me," Vernon decided. Joshua shook his head, putting down the can of soda in his hand. "I'm surprised the manager hasn't murdered me in my sleep yet. Or Hoshi, since he choreographed this."
Vernon laughed. Joshua always let out his inner turmoil with him. Vernon honestly didn't mind. It was nice seeing a 'gentleman' act not so gentle at times. Change of pace and all. Vernon grabbed the soda in Joshua's hand and took a swig.
"What the-hey!"
"You gotta learn to be more generous," Vernon responded, grinning cheekily.
"I'll learn to do that when you learn to ask for permission," he huffed.
Vernon leaned back in his chair idly. Joshua really couldn't stay mad at someone for longer than a minute or so, he knew.
"Anyway, don't sweat it dude. No sense in worrying about what's already happened, right?"
Joshua smiled, all tracing of irritation gone. See? "Yeah, I guess."
Joshua and Vernon tended to speak in English with each other when it was just them two, and sometimes forgot to switch back when other members walked in, so finally Mingyu interrupted them.
"It's great to hear you guys say-whatever you're saying, but the manager called, so let's go." He left, a slight bit of annoyance in his expression.
Joshua flashed Vernon a quick grin before following suit. 
Lately, though, Vernon felt like Joshua and him hadn't talked much-at all. It bothered him more than he'd liked to admit. Joshua seemed fine and dandy, though. Vernon sighed. He wasn't one to let his emotions show on his face, though. And definitely not one to whine or complain (unless necessary). 
But still.
Joshua and Vernon had been in charge of clean up duty ('The American duo!' Seungkwan had exclaimed helpfully) and so they shuffled around, picking things up.
"Hey, dude...are you mad at me by any chance?" Vernon asked suddenly before he could stop himself. Joshua spun around, nearly dropping the bag he was holding.
"What? Why would I be?"
"I dunno...lately we haven't really talked much, so..."
Joshua sighed. 
"What reason would I have to be mad at you? We're both just busy, right?"
Vernon shrugged. "Yeah, I know. I was just wondering."
Joshua smiled unexpectedly. "We have a free day tomorrow, you know."
"Yeah..."
"Wanna go somewhere together?"
Now Vernon almost dropped what he was holding.
"Wait, what?"
"You know, like a shop or something. Look around, grab something to eat. Whatever you want."
Vernon grinned. "Sure, but you're treating."
Joshua rolled his eyes, but he was still smiling. "Oh, the woes of being the hyung," he declared dramatically.
The next day, as they were heading out, they met with a few members.
"Where're you guys going?"
"Oh, you know. A date." Vernon replied casually.
Joshua almost choked on...well, air.
"What?" he sputtered. "I'm just-treating him to stuff. Typical hyung-dongsaeng bonding." He wanted to elbow Vernon. Or punch him.
The others faces lit up. "Wait, you're treating?"
"Yes...?" Joshua replied.
"Alright, well then, off we go!"
And that was how Joshua got stuck treating 5 members instead of 1. Great.
"You know," Vernon whispered while they were browsing around a store. "If you'd just agreed that it was a date, then they wouldn't have come along."
Joshua snorted. "Like I could do that."
Vernon stared at him. "You know I meant, like, a date between friends, right? Like dinner dates and stuff. People do it all the time."
Joshua saw the seriousness in his eyes and wanted to smack himself. Of course that's what he meant, idiot, Joshua thought. 
"Sorry," he mumbled. "Not really familiar with that stuff."
"No biggie. It's your money, after all."
Joshua groaned. "Don't remind me. My poor credit card is crying right now."
Vernon smiled. 
"Thanks."
"For what?" Joshua asked, surprised.
"I dunno...just, thanks. For all this."
"It'd be great if you were this appreciative of me all the time."
"Don't get too full of yourself," Vernon warned, still smiling. "Hey, what do you think of this?" He held up a shirt. 
"It's cool-30,000 won??!! Are you-"
But Vernon was already snickering, running away.
"You promised whatever I wanted!" he called once he was safely out of reach.
"I'm going to murder him," Joshua decided to himself. He shook his head.
"Isn't it your birthday tomorrow?" Vernon asked Joshua afterwards. 
"Oh, yeah." Joshua replied. "Is my birthday present from you an empty credit card?" He waved his wallet in his hand.
"Hm...something even better. You'll see."
Later, at the company, Joshua entered his room to find a wrapped up gift on his bed. Amused, he opened it. It was a cute shirt that said 'LA Boy' in block letters. 
"From Vernon" he read. Then it all clicked.
"Choi Hansol! Vernon! Get back here!"
"What? Vernon said, sitting in the common room, smirking. He secretly enjoyed it when Joshua was 'angry' at him. "Do you not like it?"
"That was the shirt you used my money on earlier!"
"Aw, come on, go easy on your dongsaeng."
Joshua rolled his eyes, too exhausted to put up a fight.
"Anyway, did you read the card attached?"
"Huh? Not the whole thing." Joshua'd kind of bolted off after reading Vernon's name.  
"It said that I'd treat you on our next day off. Just us two. Promise."
Joshua sighed, sliding into the chair next to him. "You really are a handful, you know that?"
"And you're my favorite hyung. So I guess we're even."
They both laughed. Annoying or not, they were both friends, and nothing could change that.