one

Push and pull

“You are not exactly my first pick either.”
Rachel E. Carter,
First Year

 

 

In January, it had been 2048. In March, Unblock me. May, Candy Crush. July, Subway surfer. September, Pokemon GO. December, Colour Switch. This January, she had found her new obsession in the name of Superstar SM. It was annoying. Jae Kyung would obsess over a game, an obsession which will last two months. Strangely, it was rather accurate. Her obsession would never cross the two month mark, but it would stop right on the dot. Sometimes Baekhyun wandered if she did it on purpose.

 

“Why do you live life like this?” Baekhyun had groaned, whacking her with a pillow.

 

“Why not? I love how I’m living life.” She stated proudly.

 

“But a new game every two months? Seriously? Why did I even ask you to be my girlfriend.” He muttered. “I must have been out of my mind.”

 

She snapped her head towards him so fast he had to blink. “Yeah I agree, who would want this stupid thing as a girlfriend.”

 

He snorted. “I didn’t say that, so don’t come running after me whining if I break up with you one day.”

 

He was joking of course, he didn’t mean a word he said.

 

She burst out laughing. “I wouldn’t whine. I would be running after you with a bottle of hot sauce in one hand and ketchup in the other, ready to pour both down your neck if you break up with me.”

 

He faked shuddered and rolled his eyes. “Oh my god, scary.”

 

Silence fell over them after a while, the noise from the game being the only source of sound.

 

“You know I didn’t mean it right.” Baekhyun looks at her, picking at the loose thread of his plaid jacket.

 

She pauses her game and looks up, staring at him with wide eyes.

 

“Yeah.” She puts down her phone and moves to sit beside him on the couch.

 

“Okay.” He smiles, playing with strands of her hair. “Just making sure.”

 

***

 

"What do you want to eat?" Baekhyun asks, flipping through the menu.

 

"I don't know."  Jae Kyung answers absently, fingers flying across her phone screen. "Shh don't talk to me now."

 

He peers over and peaks at her phone screen.   The familiar game layout of Superstar SM stares back at him. He sighs, it's going to be a while before he manages to coax an answer out of her if he doesn't do something about it.

 

It’s been a month since this game was released into playstore. His cousin, Jongdae, had been the one to introduce the game to her. It proved to be a fatal mistake on his part, given her addiction to said game presently. He scowls and hits his head against the back of the chair, cursing at himself internally for inviting his cousin to the party.

 

Junmyeon had invited him over to his apartment to celebrate the new year, and had invited Baekhyun to bring two friends along with him. The more the merrier, he had exclaimed, showing his pearly whites and clapping Baekhyun on the back. Bringing his girlfriend along was a no brainer, but when all his other friends seemed to be celebrating the occasion with their own families, he resorted to inviting his cousin out of lack of choices.

 

"Just tell me what you want. I'll go order." He grunts, tapping his fingers against the table surface in frustration.

 

"I said don't talk to me now!" She yells, letting out a screech as she misses a tap, the phone sounding out her error instantly.

 

He looks around the place. At least three-quarter of the people there are staring at them with questioning looks on their faces. He gives them a half-hearted smile and a wave of his hand as if to tell them nothing to see here go back to what you were doing, but immediately glares at his girlfriend once he's turned away from them.

 

"Stop shouting for 's sake." He hisses under his breath. "I don't want to be seen as a public nuisance."

 

She drops her phone onto the table with a clang, glaring at him with new found fire in her eyes.

 

"I told you to shut the up." She gestures violently to her phone which now displays the words of failure Try Again. She huffs in annoyance. "Look what you did!"

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "I swear you're just overly addicted to this game." He stands up and takes his wallet from the back pocket of his jeans. "I'm going to get a cheese burger and nothing for you."

 

"Sure." She rolls her eyes as well, picking up her phone and continuing where she left off.

 

He only sighs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun watches as she chomps on her chicken burger, eyes gravitating towards the fries before she picks one up and pops it into .

 

"You eat like a pig." He snorts, unwrapping his cheese burger and taking a bite from it.

 

"You eat like a pig." She retorts, using the same insult he had just told her, smirking when she sees his him scowl in annoyance.

 

"I can't stand you." He snaps, snatching a fry out of her reach. "That's mine."

 

She glares at him and swats at his hand, but misses and knocks over the ketchup instead, causing the entire pile of fries to be covered in the sauce.

 

"Look what you did!" Baekhyun exclaimes, eyeing the mess in agony. "Well done you! You know I hate ketchup! Now I can't eat any of these."

 

She only shrugs, continuing to attack the fries that were now full of ketchup. "More for me then."

 

He scowls and dumps his unfinished cheese burger on the tray. "I'm done here."

 

It's silent for a while, but she looks up from devouring her burger when she notices the lack of noise from her boyfriend. Seeing the unfinished cheese burger on the tray, she instantly sets her half eaten burger down.

 

Baekhyun is staring into the space behind her, but she can see the slight pout on his lips despite the frustration radiating of him. Chuckling, she slides out of her booth and into the seat next to him. He relaxes instantly when she runs her fingers through his hair, it makes her smile when she notices that.

 

"Baek c'mon. I'm sorry, you know I didn't mean to. Look at me hmm?" She says softly, coaxing him to direct his gaze at her.

 

A small smile slips onto the corner of his lips, and she knows she's been forgiven for her mishap. He isn't looking at her yet, but she knows. She leans forward and pecks him on the lips, startling the male, before sliding out and back into her original seat opposite him.

 

Baekhyun stares at her with an unreadable gaze as she picks up her burger and motions for him to do the same.

 

"Finish it. I know how much you love the cheese burgers here." She smiles.

 

He makes no move to pick up his unfinished burger. Instead he leans forward and fixes her bangs in place, smiling when he's satisfied with how he had arranged it. She feels warmth spreading through her at his actions, her heart clenching in her chest. Only when he's done does he pick up the cheese burger.

 

"Let's go back after we finish eating." He says.

 

She nods. "Okay, but I'm driving."

 

"No." He frowns. "I want to drive."

 

She sighs exasperatedly. "What's with you and your obsession to drive girls around? It's my turn to drive!"

 

He scowls at her remark. "Don't make fun of me."

 

"Don't make fun of me." She mocks, watching as his frown deepens. He's frowning, but she can see the smirk threatening to show at the corner of his lips, and she knows he's enjoying this.

 

She loves this. He loves it. It keeps them alive.

 

Baekhyun whips the car keys from where they are sitting at the corner of the table with a triumphant grin. He dangles it in front of her face, snatching it back when she tries to make a grab for it.

 

"I'm driving and that's final. Now be a good girlfriend and bundle yourself into the car before I shove you in myself." He smirks, waving the car keys once more as if to mock her for her slow reaction before walking out of the burger joint.

 

She grins. She could get used to this.