Three

Taming Life

I once again find myself being up earlier than I needed to be.

Mason was sound asleep still, which I was so happy for! He was probably exhausted from yesterday. I can't blame the poor kid.

 

Joy got me thinking about soccer again, which is why I'm here, sitting on my bedroom floor, looking at my soccer stuff. When packing, I put all my soccer stuff in one box. Now, I'm going through everything. I remember telling myself I wouldn't play again and that Mason is top priority. I feel as though I shouldn't be allowed to play, as if I don't deserve it.

 

I pull out a couple picture frames that had pictures of my old team back in Seattle. They seriously were the best. Ever since I moved, I've distanced myself away from them. They still try to keep in contact but I try to keep the chatting to a minimum.

I continue looking through the box, finding all my trophies and medals.

I suddenly come across a picture that I totally forgot about. There, stood me, probably about 15 or so, surrounded by my parents and Mason. I remember that I got my first MVP award that season. We all looked so happy in this photo. I was holding Mason as he was helping me hold my trophy. Mom and dad were behind us smiling.

If I could go back in time, I would. Just to see everyone smiling again, I would definitely do it.

I run my thumb over their faces. “I'm so sorry mommy and daddy. I'm so sorry. It's all my fault,” I whisper to the picture.

 

“Why are you crying, Charlie?”

I look up to see an awake Mason, still in his pjs, looking at me with his innocent eyes.

I bring my hand to my face, only to  realize that I was indeed crying.

“Oh, it's nothing,” I say as I force a smile.

 

Mason comes and walks over to me and sits in my lap. He then moves my hand so he can see what I'm holding.

“Hey, it's us,” he says as he points to everyone in the picture.

I nod. “It sure is. It's one of the first games you came, too,” I say with a smile.

“You won a trophy! I got to hold it!” he excitedly says.

I chuckle at his reaction. “Yeah. It was an exciting day.”

I see him glance at the box before he turns to look at me.

“Are you going to play again?”

“I don't know. Kyung’s sister wants me to try out for the team,” I tell him.

“Yeah! Then you can play! Then you'll be happy again!” he cheerfully says.

I my head to the side. “You don't think I'm happy?”

He shakes his head. “You don't smile a lot anymore. I want happy Charlie back.”

My heart breaks at this. For only a four year old, he is really observant.

“As long as you're here, I'm happy. You make me happy,” I say.

“So will you do it?”

“Do what?”

“Play soccer again?”

“Should I?” I ask him.

“Yes!”

“Will you cheer for me when I tryout?”

“Yeah! I'll yell really loud!” he says excitedly.

“If you'll be there, then I'll do it.”

“Yay! I'll get to see you play again,” he happily says, making me smile.

“Alright, time to get ready for school,” I say as we both stand up.






 

For some reason, classes seemed to go pretty quick. I was now in my last class for the day, which I had with Joy.

So, will you be there today?”

“Be where?” I ask, deciding to mess with her a bit.

You're joking right?” but I just continue to stare at her with a confused look.

Tryouts! The tryouts are today!”

“Excuse me, Miss Min. Is there something you'd like to share with the class?” the teacher asks.

No sir. Just asking Charlotte over here what chapter we were on,” Joy says.

Next time, you should pay attention. We're on chapter thirteen,” the teacher says before going back to her desk.

I had to bite my lip from laughing, which earned me a glare from Joy.

But seriously. Have you decided to come?” she whispers to me.

I look at her and nod. She got this big smile on her face and was about to say something until the teacher cleared .

I just shake my head and get back to doing my work.









 

Yoongi’s POV

 

I sit in my car as I wait for Joy to get out of school. A few minutes later and I see her walking out with her friend, Charlotte. I couldn't help but smirk as I thought about last night.

Hey Yoongi, Charlotte is going to join us this time,” Joy says as she gets in the front passenger seat.

“It's okay. I can just walk the-” Charlotte says.

Just get in. It's not like I haven't driven you before,” I say with a smirk.

She looks between me and Joy are few times before finally deciding to get in.

I start the drive there, glancing up in the rear view mirror to see Charlotte on her phone.

Joy turns around to face Charlotte. “What did he mean that this isn't the first time he's driven you?” Charlotte looks up with wide eyes. She was opening to say something, but I beat her to it.

“I went to the café I always go to and she was there. I drove her and her brother home since it was late,” I say. Charlotte just nods.

Oh okay. I'll have to visit you while you're working then,” Joy says before turning back around.

Uhh, yeah. Sure,” Charlotte responds.

 

I pull up in front of the preschool and turn the engine off. Charlotte is the first one to get out. I notice how she takes her bag in with her, too. What's the point of that is she's going to be riding with us again? I just shake my head and get out to get, Kyung.

 

“I'll be back,” I say to Joy who decided to stay in the car.

“I'll be here,” she says, earning an eye roll from me.


 

I walk in and go up to the desk and sign Kyung out. I walk to the classroom and see Kyung and Mason playing together. I'm glad that Kyung has finally made a new friend. It's been hard on him lately.

Kyung looks up my way and waves. That's when him and Mason decide to walk out the classroom.

Hey hyung!” Kyung says with a smile.

Hey kid. How was your day?” I then turn to look at Mason who was standing beside him. “Hey Mason.”

“Hi,” he says with a smile.

It was good! Mason said it was okay for me to sleepover!” Kyung happily says.

That's when Charlotte came from nowhere towards us.

“Charlie!” Mason excitedly yells as he runs into her arms.

“Hey, Mace. Sorry I'm late. I had to run to the bathroom,” she says.

 

This is probably my second encounter between those two but I've noticed how Mason gets overly excited when Charlotte comes to pick him up. It's as if he doesn't know if she'll come or not.

So, Mason here said Kyung could sleepover,” I say.

Yeah, as long as it's alright with you guys. He can come over this weekend,” she says as she looks at me.

Can I?”  I hear Kyung ask. I look down at him to his cute innocent face.

Sure. Why not?” I say.

“Woo!!” both him and Mason exclaim.

I smile at the two boys. “Alright, we should get going,” I say.

Joy's soccer practice?” Kyung asks me.

People are going to try out for the team and we get to watch,” I say.

“Charlie is the best! She is going to make the team,” I hear Mason say as we walk outside.

“I don't know, Mace. The girls here are probably really good,” Charlotte says.



 

We reach the car. I open the door so Kyung can hop in. I then turn towards Charlotte and Mason, only to see Mason hide behind her legs.

Charlotte looks down at him and sighs before looking at me.

We're just going to walk back. We'll meet you guys there,” she says to me before looking at Joy.

Are you sure? You're not flaking out on me are you?” Joy asks.

Yeah. I'm sure. And I promise I'll be there,” she says.

Joy just nods. “Make sure she gets there, Mason” Joy says with a smile. The said boy hesitantly nods.

The two soon begin walking towards the direction of the school. I get in the car and start driving there.

That was weird,” I say.

Joy shrugs. “Maybe they just like to walk. And besides, the school isn't far.”

I simply just nod.

 

We pull up to the school and I park the car. Kyung jumps out with Joy not to far behind him. I scan the area, spotting Charlotte and Mason walking down the sidewalk.

Over here guys!” Joy yells at the two.

They finally reach us.

Come on, Charlotte. We have to go change. Mason, you can stay with Kyung and Yoongi and watch at the bleachers, okay?” Joy says.

Wait, I-” Charlotte starts but gets pulled away by Joy.

Wish her luck!” Joy yells back.

Good luck, Charlie!” Mason cheers.

Come on guys, let's go find a good seat. It's probably going to be packed since it's tryouts,” I say to the boys.
 

We make it to the bleachers and find seats, the boys sitting on a step below me.

I'd figure this would be a good time to find more about these two, especially with the whole car situation.

So Mason, do you and your sister walk a lot?” I ask.

He turns around and nods. “Sometimes we ride the bus. I don't like riding in cars,” he says.

Cars scare him? What does he mean by that?

Hey Yoongi. Nice to see you here again.” I turn to see that it's Jieun. This girl has tried to get with me ever since she was a freshman in high school. Thank the heavens I already graduated from here.

Hey. Just here for the tryouts,” I blandly say.

That's nice. Wanting to see me in action?” she asks.

I roll my eyes and don't even answer.

Well, get ready to be disappointed. I hear most of the girls trying out are pretty bad.”

“My sister isn't bad. She's really good!” Mason says.

Jieun looks down at him and makes a face, probably not believing a little kid just talked to her. “I'm sure of it,” she says.

That's when a whistle blows. Jieun looks back before looking at me. “You should call me so we can catch up,” she says before running off to the field.

I roll my eyes. Yeah, like I'm really going to call her.  Hell, I've never even had her number before.

She's mean. I don't like her,” Mason says.

Me neither. She keeps letting the other team score,” Kyung says, making me chuckle.

Jieun is one of the popular kids here at this school. And she is on the soccer team, how, I will never understand. Like Kyung said, she at it. She's supposedly the goalkeeper for the team. Joy told me they're having these tryouts just so they can find a new goalkeeper, who's actually good.  

 

As you all may or may not know,” the coach begins, “I am the coach for this team. I want to wish everyone luck who's trying out for the team. You will be fairly judged by me and two other players of the team. So just go out there and do your best. Let's start with offense,” he says.



 

This was just plain awful. There were some girls who were actually okay, but other than that, it was just awful. Why did these girls even bother on coming today?

They've been going through the different positions, finally ending on goalkeepers.

For most of it, I've been paying attention to Kyung and Mason's conversation.

Noona says that when I get older, I'll be a soccer player like her,” Kyung says.

Really?”

“Yeah. She says I have a good kick,” Kyung says with a smile.

Charlie says that I'll be a famous. . .uhh. . .a person who plays instruments and sings songs,” he says.

I look at him with a raised eyebrow. “A musician?”

“Yeah!” he says excitedly. “She says I'm really good at the piano.”

Hyung plays the piano, too. Don't you hyung?” Kyung says as he looks back at me.

I smile and nod. “That's so cool,” Mason says. “Are you good?”

“He's awesome! He even plays at his job,” Kyung says.

Mason turns to look at me. “Can you teach me? Charlie said she'd get me a teacher but she can't find anyone.”

Charlotte said that? Shouldn't their parents be responsible for finding him a piano instructor?

Please!” Mason continues.

I begin thinking to myself. The only thing I have going on is classes at college and work. The extra money could come in handy. Plus, the more time I don't have to spend in my house the better.

You'll have to talk with your parents first,” I tell him and I swore I saw him frown. To be honest, he looked like he was on the verge of tears. Did I say something?

Just as I was about to ask him, Kyung spoke. “Look, it's your sister's turn, Mason.” at the sound of that, Mason's attitude turned a complete 360. He looked up and once he spotted her, a huge smile formed on his face. Those two must be really close.

I looked back onto the field and see Charlotte stand in the the goal box. One of the girls kicks the ball her way and she effortlessly blocks it. Not bad.

She then throws the ball to the side as another team member comes and kicks a ball. She again stops it.

Okay, I think I see where this is going,” the coach says. “Joy, go kick a ball at her and don't hold anything back.

Yes sir!” Joy says cheerfully making me shake my head.

Charlotte gets into position as Joy steps a few feet away from the ball. She then runs a kicks the ball, making it go up into the air. Joy is the best kicker on the team and usually no one can defend her kicks.

Charlotte runs up a few feet before jumping up and catching the ball.

Holy ,” I mumble to myself.

“Go Charlie!!” Mason screams and cheers. I look back over to her. She must have heard Mason because she smiles and waves back.

Wow, she's good,” Kyung says.

Alright, let me see your punting Park,” the coach says. “Just kick it as far as you can.”

Charlotte nods before throwing the ball up in the air and kicking it. The ball practically few more than half way down the field.

Eunjung, go down the field and stay there,” coach tells a player before looking back at Charlotte. “I want you to aim the ball to her. Get as close as you can.”

Once again, she tosses the ball up in the air and kicks it. The ball goes flying and ends up right at the girl's feet. Wow. This girl really is good.

“Nice job, Park. Next!” the coach says and the next person trying out steps into the box.


 

The tryouts went on for about 20 more minutes. The coach dismissed them, telling everyone they did a good job and that he'll let everyone know next week.


 

That was awesome!” Mason cheers as his sister and Joy walk up to us.

Your sister is amazing! With her, we'll definitely make it far this season,” Joy says with a smile.

Yeah, you weren't too bad out there,” I say to her.

She looks up at me and smiles before saying thanks.

I nod before looking down at Kyung.

I'm hungry,” He says, making us chuckle.

Guess that's a sign we should be getting home,” Joy says before looking at Charlotte. “You want a ride home?”

I notice Charlotte look down at Mason before shaking her head. “We'll just walk. Thanks for the offer, though.”

“Suit yourself. And thanks for trying out today. I may as well say welcome to the team,” she says. “Text you later!”

Kyung says bye to Mason before him and Joy starts walking away.

I look back at Charlotte, who's changing her shoes.

Are you sure you don't want a ride?” I ask.

She nods.

Alright then,” I say.

I start to head back towards my car when all of a sudden I hear a “Bye!” from Mason.

I turn around and wave, saying “Bye kid,” Before continuing to walk back to my car.

 


 

The car ride was pretty silent. Kyung was knocked out in the back and Joy’s eyes were glued to her phone.

So,” I spoke out, “What do you know about this Charlotte?”

I notice Joy look up from her phone and shrug. “Not much. Just the basics really. She's a year younger than me, came from the States, and is one hell of a soccer player. She seems pretty quiet and closed in, though.” She then looks at me, “Why?”

“Just curious. She just seems. . .different?”

She snorts at this. “Of course she is. She's probably the first girl who hasn't grossly hit on you.

I roll my eyes at her comment. “Not exactly what I meant doofus. It's this car thing. She rejected two offered rides in a row.”

No riding with strangers? To be honest, I wouldn't get in a car with you if i were her, too,” she says before chuckling.

“I try to have a normal conversation with you and this is where it gets me,” I say shaking my head as we pull into our driveway.

Looks like we're alone again,” she says as she unbuckles her seatbelt.

I sigh as I run a hand through my hair. “I can make dinner tonight,” I say as I go to pick up a sleeping Kyung.

You sure?” She asks.

Yeah. I only had two classes today and got most of my homework done. You go ahead and shower. We don't need you stinking up the house,” I say with a smirk.

She rolls her eyes but smiles. “Thanks oppa. I'll cook next time,” She says as we walk through the door.

I lay Kyung on the couch before scanning the house.

Well, I rather it be like this than them being here.

I shake my head of the thoughts and head to the kitchen, thinking of what I'll make tonight.