One

Taming Life

Black is spoken in English while blue is spoken in Korean :)

 

 

 

“Well Mace, this is it,” I say as we stand in front of our new apartment building.

“Very big,” he says.

I look down at him. “You wanna go look inside?”

He nods his head.

“Alright, how about we get some stuff from the truck first, okay?”

He nods and grabs my hand as we walk back to the moving truck that held our stuff. We didn't bring too much. I wanted to start new with Mason. I didn't want him to hurt too much anymore since he's been really affected by the accident.

I hand him his Larva bookbag while I take a few boxes in. The two moving guys began grabbing things as well.

  (legit the stupidest funniest show lol. I would legit rock one of these at school)

Me and Mason head inside the building, him hanging on to my shirt. We walk up to the elevator.

“Good ahead and push the button, Mason,” I say to him.

He looks over at the elevator before looking at me again. He then let's go of my shirt and walks over to push the button. I smile. It seems that he's getting a little better.

The doors open and me and Mason walk in. I already told the moving guys where our apartment was.

“Press the number three,” I say I'm which he does.

Soon enough, we reach the third floor and walk out the elevator.  Mason grabs on to my shirt again as we walk down the long hall.

 

I finally stop in front of a door that has the numbers 313 above the door. I place the boxes down on the ground before digging in my pockets for the keys.

“Well, here's our new home,” I say before opening the door.

Mason walks in and I follow him after picking up the boxes.

I place the boxes down before given the place a quick scan myself. I then look over to Mason, watching for his reaction.

 

I watch him scan the place and make a whole 360 turn. I felt pretty nervous for his reaction. If he doesn't like the place, then this whole starting a anew may be harder than I thought.

 

He then walks to the doors of the balcony. It's not too big but big enough if we wanted to eat or just chill out there.

 

He then goes to the kitchen and walks around it. The dining room and kitchen are all in one. Finally, he comes back to the living room where I was standing.

 

“This isn't as big as our house,” he says.

I bend down on one knee, getting to his level.

“That's true. But since it'll just be you and me, I thought that we could use a smaller place,” I tell him.

“Do you like it?” I hesitantly ask.

He taps his chin with his pointer finger for bit before smiling and nodding his head.

“I like our new home Charlie!” he says excitedly.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

“I'm glad you like it, Mason. How about you go and pick out your room. There's only two but you can pick whichever one you want,” I tell him.

He nods and runs down the hall before disappearing into one of the bedrooms.

I stand up and smile, glad Mason likes it here. It would have been awful if he hadn't. I put too much work in finding the perfect place for him.

 

Mason is my four year old brother. He's really a good and happy kid. However, he's been through some stuff a kid his age, or rather, a person should never have to go through.

 

Mason was a first hand witness to our parents death. It was after they picked him up from a friend's house when they got hit by a drunk driver. My mom died on impact and my dad shot through the windshield since he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Thankfully, Mason made it out alive, only having some scratches. Unfortunately, the whole accident severely impacted him.

 

Soon after the accident, he was always having nightmares and was having a lot of trouble going to sleep. In addition, he would never leave my side and when he did, he would throw the biggest tantrums.

 

At the time, we were staying with my aunt, who lived in South Korea. You see, my parents had me in South Korea and we stayed here for a few years before officially moving to Seattle, Washington. We've been there ever since, which is also where Mason was born. 

Apparently we didn't have any family in the States, so shipping us off was the best thing to do. Oh how wrong that was. Our aunt was no help at all. She was only willing to put up with us until I turned 18 because she thought she would get all of my parents money. Little did she know, our parents left everything to me and Mason. I got half of mine now, while I would get the rest when I turn 18, which is how I was able to afford things for me and Mason. That and a new job I would soon start.

 

 

Anyways, back to my aunt. My brother started getting worse. She would get phone calls from his daycare, saying how his behavior was disruptive to the rest of the class. She suggested that Mason go see a doctor or therapist or something like that. It took a lot of convincing my aunt to make an appointment, but she eventually did it.

So, we soon met with a psychiatrist. Well, Mason did anyways. The psychiatrist talked to Mason by herself.

 

However, I was never ready for what she had to say. I wasn't ready for Mason to actually be diagnosed with something.

 

That day, Mason was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder along with Separation Anxiety. The car accident was so traumatic to him, that he got diagnosed with two mental illnesses. I always thought PTSD was for veterans or something like that. And Separation Anxiety?  Ha! I thought that was a baby thing when they'd cry whenever their mom puts them down. I was totally wrong. I guess that's why Mason has been so clingy towards me since after the accident. He's scared that I'll leave him like our parents.

 

I will never forget the day he was diagnosed six months ago. When we came back to my aunt’s house, she said we had to leave. She said she didn't want to deal with a crazy kid. Apparently she didn't want to be embarrassed or be the laughing stock of her stuck up, rich neighborhood. I hope I never see that woman again.

 

I remember crying myself to sleep that night.  Once I knew Mason was asleep beside me, I silently cried and apologized to him. If it wasn't for me, mom and dad would still be alive. If it wasn't for me, Mason wouldn't have PTSD or anxiety. He wouldn't be afraid of what kids his age shouldn't even be thinking of. If I would have just picked him up like I was supposed to, none of this would have happened.

 

Ever since that day, I promised to make the best life I could for Mason, which is why we're here. I used some of the money my parents left me to get a cheap but decent apartment. I made sure it was in a good neighborhood with a good school system and that it was kid friendly for Mason.

 

I also had to make sure most of the places were in walking distance. Even though he's made good progress with his anxiety, the PTSD has been harder to handle. He still can't get inside any type of car without getting scared or having a full out tantrum. He still has nightmares, as well, which is the hardest part for me. His psychiatrist prescribed him some medication to help with his sleeping if he has trouble. I only use it when needed because I can usually bring him back to sleep on my own. But sometimes there are nights when I can't even help him and the medication is needed. That's when I feel the worse because I know I did this to him. Because of me, Mason is scared to even close his eyes at night.

 

Another thing with Mason is that he doesn't like meeting new people. He's not as bad as before, but he still has his moments.  Like when I have to tell him that he'll be going to a different preschool. I'm scared of what his reaction is going to be.

 

I also had to make my schedule around Mason. I made sure that I started school after I dropped him off at preschool and that I ended before his got out. I also asked my boss if it was okay to bring him to work with me. As long as he behaves and doesn't bother his business, I can bring him. Let's just hope Mason acts okay.

As long as things go smoothly, we should be fine. In four months, I'll be a high school graduate and 18, which is of legal age. That's when I'll apply for custody of Mason. I just hoperfect things can be kept until then.
 

“Ma'am,” I hear someone say.

I turn my head to the voice and realize it was the movers.

Yes?” I ask.

I said we brought all of your stuff up. Do you need help with anything else?” he asks.

Sorry about that. And no, that'll be it,” I say.

Alright. You just need to sign this since you paid upfront, already,” he says.

I nod and take the clipboard and sign the paper.

Have a nice day ma’am,” he says before him and his crew leaves.

 

“I guess this is it,” I say out loud to no one.

 

I look around the room, thinking where to start the fun unpacking process. Seriously though, it's 2017. There's no machine or robot that unpacks your things yet?

 

“Charlie!” Mason yells as he comes out running.

“What's up?” I say as I start opening a box that's labeled kitchen stuff.

“I picked a room! It's the biggest one! There's a guitar and a keyboard! And I can write and draw on the walls!” he excitedly says as he jumps up and down.

I smirk to myself. I decided to do some pre-decorating to his room. I wanted it to be special to him. I want him to really like it here.

  (Mason's Room)

 

“Did you now? Do you like it?” I ask as I face him.

“Yes! It's so cool!!” he says.

“Did you still want to take your piano and guitar lessons?” I ask him.

His eyes light up.  “Can I?”

“Of course. Plus, you're really good. Remember, you gotta write a song for me one day,” I say before chuckling.

“I promise I will! Oh thank you, Charlie!” he says as he brings up his arms for a hug.

I bend down to pick him up, with his arms wrapping around my neck. I then bring him to the kitchen island and set him there.

“So, you really like it here?” I ask him again.

“Yes! It's more comfy now. Our old house was scary. Our new one is not scary,” he says.

I try not to show any disappointment on my face. He thought our old house was scary.

“Okay. So, you know how this isn't Seattle anymore right?” I say.

He nods.  “We're in Korea. Dagee, where mommy and daddy were born.”

I giggle at his pronunciation.  “It's Daegu, but yes, you're right. So some things may change from when we were at Aunt Kim’s house.”

“I don't like her. She's mean,” he says before pouting.

“She was. Hopefully we won't ever have to see her again. Anyways, you'll be going to a new preschool,” I warily say.

“I will?” he asks.

I nod.  “But you'll be able to make new friends,” I say, trying to convince him.

“Can I have a sleepover? And show them my cool room?” he asks excitedly.

Not gonna lie, but his response shocked me. I was expecting for him to get all upset about changing schools. I mean, he did have his friends. But I guess he wants to start fresh.

“Of course you can. But you have to behave at school, right?” I say.

He nods.

“Good. The school is pretty close, so we can walk there, unless you want to take the bus. You can pick.”

“Walking please!” he yells.

“Alright, alright. Walking it is. Guess I'll be getting my exercise everyday,” I say to him before smiling.

He nods and chuckles.

“Are you going to a new school, too?” he asks.

I nod. “Are you going to be the soccer star there, too?”

My smile instantly drops at his question. I shake my head at his thought.

“Why? I want to seek you play!” he says.

“It's not important anymore. Anyways, your teacher is really nice. I already talked to her.  And plus, you'll still be able to see Miss Song. You like talking to her, right?”

He nods. “She lets me color. Miss Song is nice.”

Miss Song is his psychiatrist. She's been with Mason since the start of his diagnosis.  She's one thing I cannot change in his life.

“I still have to see if your music teacher will teach over here. If not, we'll find you another one, okay?”

He nods.

“Charlie?”

“Hmm?”

“I miss mommy and daddy,” he says, his eyes getting watery.

I sigh before brushing his hair out of his face.

“I know, me too. But what do I always tell you?”

“Mommy and daddy are watching over us.”

“And?”

“They're in our hearts, too,” he says as he takes his necklace out of his shirt.

When they died and when Mason was having a hard time, I decided to make something that he could wear. He's a pretty responsible little guy, so I made necklaces out of our parents wedding bands. He has dad's and I have mom's. It let him know that they'll always be there.

 

“Right. Now what would they say if they saw you crying?” I say as I wipe his tears away.

“To stop crying. Big boys don't cry. And I have to protect you!” he brightly says.

“Right, so don't be up-wait what? Protect me?”

“Daddy once said I have to protect you when I get big and strong. Since he isn't here, I have to start now,” he says before flexing his arms.

I couldn't help but laugh at him. “I'm honored that you want to, but it's okay for now. I'm the oldest, so I'll be doing the protecting.”

He began pouting at this so I decided to change the subject.

“How about we do some unpacking? Then we'll take a break and go explore the neighborhood and get some lunch.”

“And get some ice cream?”

“Hmmmm. . .I don't know,” I say, pretending to think about it.

“Pleeeaasseeee Charlie? I love you!” he says.

“Fine. Can't say no to that.”

“Yay! You're the best!!” he cheers.

I smile on the outside but on the inside, I'm breaking down. How untrue those words really are.

 

I pick him up and set him back on the floor.

 

“Okay, let's start unpacking. Your stuff has your name on the boxes. If they're too heavy, ask for help, okay?” I say to him.

“Okay! But I'm big and strong now!” he says before running to the groups of boxes.





 

A few hours have passed and we're more than halfway done with unpacking. Since the workers brought all the big stuff in, like the furniture and things like that, there wasn't much left. The only thing left to unpack was my stuff and. . .the boxes with my parents things. I decided to put my parents stuff in my bedroom closet.

 

(Kitchen)

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Charlie! Food!”

“Alright, get your shoes on,” I say as I grab my phone, wallet, and key.

 

“Ready?” I ask him as I head towards the door.

“Yeah-wait!” he says before running back to his room.

 

He comes back seconds later with a hat on top of his head.

“Should've known,” I said.

“I have to look good for the ladies,” he says with a smile.

I shake my head. I'm going to have to watch him when he gets older. He's definitely gonna be breaking girls hearts.




 

We walked around the neighborhood for about forty-five minutes. I showed him his new school, my school, and the police station. I wanted him to know his environment. We even found a park not too far from our apartment.

 

We then begin searching for a place to eat.

 

“Okay, Mace. You can pick where we eat,” I say.

“Okay. . .let's see. Oh! Let's eat there! They have music.”

I look over to where he's pointing. It's not quite a fancy restaurant but not a bar or pub either. Seems safe enough for a kid. Plus, I see a lot of elderly people there.

 

“Alright, let's go,” I say as we head to the doors.

We enter the place and the smell of delicious food meets my nose.

 

“Hi, how can I help you?” a woman probably in her thirties ask us.

Hello. Table for two please,” I say.

Of course!” she happily says, “follow me.”

 

We follow her and I begin to feel Mason's hand tighten around mine.

 

The woman brings us to a booth.

I help Mason climb in on one side and then I slide in on the other.

And who is this little guy?” the lady asks.

Mason looks at me and I smile and nod.

He looks back at the woman. “I'm Mason.”

Why aren't you adorable,” the lady says. “Are you taking your sister out to lunch?”

He smiles and nods, making me internally roll my eyes.

Isn't that sweet. Well, here's your guys’ menus. And you sir, get some crayons and a coloring sheet,” she says as she hands us the stuff.

Mason's smile brightens at the site of coloring materials.  “Thank you,” he says. Least he still has his manners.

I look at the lady. “Thanks,” I say with a kind smile.

No problem sweetie. What can I get for you two to drink?”

We'll both have water,” I say.

Apple juice,” Mason says while coloring, not even bothering to look up.

“Then you're going to have to drink water with dinner,” I tell him.

Okay.”

I sigh before looking back at the nice waitress, who I've found out her name to be Yuri.

One water and one apple juice, please.”

Of course. I'll be back with your drinks,” she says before leaving.

 

Alright, Mace, what do you want? I ask as I place the kids menu out in front of him.

He looks away from his coloring to look at the menu.

“They don't have nuggets?” he asks.

I shake my head and chuckle. “This isn't McDonald's. You don't want any kimchi or rice or anything?”

“Can I have rice and nuggets?” he looks up and asks.

“They don’t have nuggets here. How about some chicken bulgogi?” I say.

He nods and gets back to his coloring.

I took this time and looked around the restaurant.  It seemed to be very comfy and homey like.  It must be a hit spot for older people and couples, as that’s what most of the customers were.  I continued to scan the place until my eyes landed on the stage.  It had a microphone in the center and a piano a little farther back.  No wonder Mason chose this place.

 

Miss Yuri came back with our water and apple juice. 

Do you guys know what you want or do you need more time?” she asks us.

We’re ready. He will have the non-spicy chicken bulgogi and I will have the yang nyum chicken. And can we share the sides?” I ask.

 

Of course, sweetie. I’ll be back with you two shortly,” she says as she collects our menus before leaving.



 

Soon enough, Miss Yuri came back with our food.  Me and Mason began digging in.

 

“Charlie, look. Someone is going to play the piano,” he says as he points to the stage.  I follow his finger to see someone sitting on the piano bench.

 

It was a guy with black hair.  He was casually dressed in black jeans, black shirt and some sneakers.  He seemed to be close to my age, maybe a few years older.

 

Soon, he began playing, beautiful music reaching my ears.  Whoever this guy is, he is sure talented.  

He finished the first song, earning applause from the customers before starting the next peice.

“Wow,” I hear Mason say.  I turn my head towards him to see him smiling.  “He is really good.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah! I want to play like him.”

I smile at his excited self.

 

We stay for a few more songs before paying the bill, or should I say Mason paid the bill.  He asked for the money so he could give it to Miss Yuri.  This boy, I tell you.  Miss Yuri waves us goodbye.








 

It was later that night.  We finished the rest of packing as well as have dinner.  We stopped at a local grocery store on the way back home to get some groceries.  We can’t be eating out every night.

 

Mason is getting washed up for dinner while I get his things ready for tomorrow.  We both have school.  Soon I know, but I can only miss so many days since I’m a senior.

 

“Let’s see, I made our lunches, I packed our bags, set the alarm clock. My phone is plugged in. I think we’re good,” I say aloud.

 

“Finished Charlie!” Mason yells from his room.

“Okay. Start getting ready for bed while I brush my teeth,” I say as I head to the bathroom.

 

A few minutes later, I enter Mason’s room, only to see him in bed with his stuffed animal our parents got him for his third birthday.

“Ready for bed?” I ask him.

He nods and smiles.

I tuck him in before kissing his forehead.  “Big day tomorrow. Make sure to get lots of sleep,” I tell him.

“Goodnight,” I say as I head to turn his light off.

“Night!”

 

I leave his room and decide to double check the locks, knowing that he’ll be up in

 

Three. . .

 

Two. . .

 

One. . .

 

“Charlie!” Mason yells into the living room.

“Yeah?”

“Can you sleep with me?” he asks.

“Sure. It’s kinda scary sleeping in a new room, huh?” I ask him.

He nods and takes my hand.  I lead him back to his room and tuck him in.  I then slide in as well.

 

“Better?” I ask him.

“Better,” he says.

“Goodnight, Charlie.”

“Goodnight, Mace. Sweet dreams.”

 

 

 

 

Well, there goes the first chapter. Hope you guys like it :)