1/1

Stay with me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Everybody has a mind of their own. It’s up to you to interpret what you see, and what you don’t.

 

 

I have known Byun Baekhyun for 10 years. I still remember him walking into school looking all lost and adorable, adjusting a pair of glasses perched precariously on his nose bridge as he looked between a sheet of paper in his hands and the row of classrooms before him. A senior went forward to help him then, pointing and directing him to the classroom at the end of the hall after taking a look at what must be his class schedule. Kim Junmyeon was his name, smartest in his level, also President of the Student Council. He would grow up to start and be the CEO of KJM Records, signing a few of South Korea’s top idols, and be a great form of support to Baekhyun in the years to come.

 

Somehow the new boy was assigned to the same class as me, and even assigned to the seat next to me. He introduced himself, stuck out a hand for me to shake, and proclaimed us best friends. Our story had just begun.

 

Fast forward a few years, and our little clique became a group of 3. The addition of Park Chanyeol made us the noisiest group in school, much to the annoyance of many teachers. Byun Baekhyun talked a lot, Park Chanyeol laughed a lot, and I – well I studied a lot. It was such a weird mix, or rather I made the clique such a weird mix, but the three of us clicked really well somehow.

 

I don’t really know when it started, I didn’t realise it at all. Mid-terms was approaching, and I spent literally every day with my nose buried in my Chemistry textbook. The two guys, on the other hand, fooled around every day. While I excused myself from after school outings they had planned, they went ahead with them. I overheard my mother’s conversation with Baekhyun’s mother one night when I walked past her bedroom on my way to the bathroom.

 

“Baekhyun comes home so late these days,” Mrs Byun had said. “Is Hyejung like that too?”

 

“No, she comes home early every day.” I could hear my mother say. “Isn’t mid-terms coming up soon?”

 

Mrs Byun sighed through the phone. “Yes, that’s why I’m quite worried for him. He barely studies at all. You’re so lucky to have such a diligent daughter.”

 

I knew Baekhyun and Chanyeol always went out to play after school, but I had no idea they stayed out until night. It wasn’t like I could stop them anyway, because I had learnt that what Byun Baekhyun wanted to do he would do. Chanyeol just went along with whatever he had planned for the thrill of it.

 

I found out a week later that they went to the arcade every day to play that giant claw machine near the entrance.

 

“C’mon Hyejung, join us just this once! I promise it’ll be fun.” Baekhyun had attempted to coax me one day, puppy eyes on full effect.

 

“Baek,” I sighed. “I need to study.”

 

He dropped his grip on my arm, a pout forming on his lips. “But you always study, all you ever do is study!”

 

“That’s how I maintain my grades Baekhyun.” I flicked his forehead lightly, making him hiss in pain. "Not everyone can play all day and still top the class like you.”

 

He smirked then, I could feel his ego rising to the max. “Don’t worry, I can teach you anything you need help with. Maybe you’ll even top the class with my coaching.”

 

I rolled my eyes and slapped his arm lightly. “Bye. See you tomorrow Mr I-top-my-class-without-needing-to-study.” Giving him one last playful glare, I turned around and started in the direction of home, only to be stopped a few seconds later by a tight grip on my wrist.

 

Surprised, I looked up to find Baekhyun falling into step beside me. He didn’t say anything, just kept his gaze straight ahead, but he didn’t loosen his hold.

 

“What’s this?” I inquired.

 

 “I’ll walk you home today. Shut up.” He muttered, then turned to me with a hundred watt smile on his face.

 

“How about Chanyeol?” I asked.

 

He snorted. “Nevermind him. He’s probably trying to complete his homework in the Principal’s office now.”

 

Unlike Baekhyun, Chanyeol wasn’t gifted with the smarts. The shorter was able to fly through his homework in less than five minutes, while this proved to be difficult for the taller. He therefore had to stay back to complete it, or serve detention for a week. It was funny when I thought about it later on, Baekhyun completing his work in five minutes, and Chanyeol probably barely getting past the first question in that time span.

 

“Baekhyun walked me home today.” I had said when my mother enquired about seeing his familiar figure walking down the sidewalk from our house.  

 

She raised an eyebrow, but didn’t probe any further. I wouldn’t have been able to answer if she did anyway.

 

I didn’t think much of it, it’s just a one-time thing, I told myself, but this continued for the next two months until the holidays started.

 

The boy was just unpredictable like that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

****

 

I remember that faithful day. It was a warm Sunday afternoon, the three of us were lazing around in my room after a rather intense game of Monopoly. Chanyeol had won, what with his ability to swindle people of their money. It’s a talent, he had proclaimed proudly, ignoring my protests of Monopoly being a strategy game. Even being born with the smarts is not going to help you, he had said, a statement which had Baekhyun tackle him to the ground as they dissolved into a fit of giggles. I remember laughing along with them, launching myself into the middle of their bro fight, eventually earning myself the honour of being their next target of a tickle fight. We tumbled around trying to poke the screams out of each other, much to the amusement of my mother when she came in to check, in her own words, if anyone had been murdered.

 

When we had sobered up, Chanyeol went across my room to pick up the acoustic guitar he had brought along.

 

“Play something!” I had exclaimed in excitement, watching in fascination as he ran his fingers across the strings and started to tune it.

 

Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun with a questioning look in his eyes. The shorter nodded.

 

“Little Star by Standing Egg it is.”

 

That day, I fell in love with his voice, and perhaps even the person who controlled it with such skill and ease.

 

It became routine ever since then, that both of them would perform a song for me every Sunday when they came over to hang out. It was fun, I got to do song requests every week. Baekhyun would whine and complain that I was taking advantage of the situation, saying he wasn’t going to listen to me. Yet on every Sunday that flew by, he would diligently and whole-heartedly perform whatever song I wanted him to sing, with Chanyeol accompanying him on the guitar.

 

I noticed how he sang with so much emotion each time, the way his eyelids would flutter close when he got absorbed in the lyrics, his long lashes becoming extremely evident during those moments. He looked beautiful when he was singing, and I was aware it was more than just the visual of it. When he sang, I felt like I had no worries in the world, I felt like nothing else mattered but the person in front of me, singing his heart out.

 

For me?

 

I didn’t dare to think any further than that.

 

I’m sure he wouldn’t have known even if I were to ask him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

I realized we had watched each other grow up, from childish, young and playful children to playful, mature albeit a little childish, young adults. Baekhyun and Chanyeol still fooled around at times, pranking their professor and skipping lectures every once in a while. I would follow them sometimes, scolding them for their delinquent behavior yet going along with their plans in the end. I admit it was fun, more fun than sitting in lectures listening to our professor drone on and on about god knows what.

 

“Remember when you used to study all day.” Baekhyun would tease me. “You refused to join us at all, but look at you now.”

 

“Yeah.” Chanyeol laughed. “I like you better now.” He let out a yelp, clutching his side where I had elbowed him. Baekhyun guffawed.

 

“Watch out Park.” I grinned. “Mark my words.”

 

“Mark my words.” Chanyeol mocked. I cuffed him on the ear, to which he immediately flew behind the shorter boy for protection, peeking out from behind every few seconds with a cheeky smile.

 

I started towards the both of them, ready to pull the taller out and perhaps send him another flying kick. Baekhyun grinned, stretching his arms out at his sides, turning it into a game of Eagle and Chicks (or “老鹰抓小鸡” as our Chinese friend, Yixing, would say).

 

“Go on.” Chanyeol taunted. “Cuff Baek on the ear too! Byun, you be my shield!”

 

“Was this just a plan to get me beaten up too?” Baekhyun growled, dodging a jab from me. “Park, you’re so dead.”

 

Chanyeol only snickered, grabbing onto the shorter’s shirt tightly. They were distracted and this was my chance. I went in for the blow…

 

Only to be hit in the stomach.

 

I hit the ground with a groan, arms splayed out beside me. It wasn’t that hard a punch, but I was caught by surprise. I felt a hand at the side of my face, another on my shoulder shaking gently but with a sense of urgency. My best friends’ face entered my vision when I opened my eyes, and I heard shouts of relief immediately.

 

“Yeol, she’s okay! She’s okay!”

 

“I think we should get her to the bench. Or should we bring her to the infirmary?”

 

“Just get her medical attention! this is all my fault. What if-“

 

I coughed then, bringing their attention back to me. Baekhyun was frowning, but I could see the worry lines on his forehead and the fear in his eyes.

 

“Hyejung-ah, how are you feeling?” He held my face gently, scanning my arms quickly f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter