Collaboration

Collaboration

BTS Dorm –

 

Jungkook woke up to Taehyung humming a Christmas song. Apparently, Taehyung’s spending his time after waking up lying on Jungkook’s bed again. Jungkook smiled to this and V noticed the slight movement of his lips.

 

“You’re awake! Get up now. Namjoon-hyung said he has something to tell you.” Taehyung moved to lie on his side so his whole body is facing Jungkook.

“Is it very important? I still wanna sleep...” Jungkook answers while his eyes were still closed.

“I think so. He said it’s got to do with the upcoming music festivals.” Taehyung answered. He pouted when he didn’t get any response. “Yah! Wake up or he’ll come after me.”

“If you wanted to wake me up so badly, you should have sang something horrible or shook me up instead.” The maknae responds and turns his back against Taehyung.

“Your ears respond well to my voice though…” Taehyung smirks to this when Jungkook slightly giggled upon hearing the truth. Jungkook turns the other way and is now facing V when the door to their bedroom opened all of a sudden and made both of them rise up.

“Yoongi-hyung!” Jungkook exclaimed. “You surprised me.” There was a second or two of silence before Yoongi spoke.

“I was right, you ain’t waking up yet. Get up now.” Yoongi says coldly and ignores the boys’ scrunched faces.

“What’s up with him?” Jungkook whispers to himself and gets up first before Taehyung.

 

After Jungkook washed his face, he went straight to the kitchen breakfast awaited him for nearly an hour.

“Taehyung really isn’t effective in waking you up.” Namjoon started while browsing music on his phone.

“Not his fault hyung. Sorry.” Jungkook says and looks at Yoongi who was sitting on his opposite side of the table.

“Oh what’s this heavy atmosphere?” Jin enters the kitchen. “Do you want me to heat up your breakfast?” He asks Jungkook about to reach for his food but Jungkook stops him.

“No, this one’s fine, hyung. Thanks!” Jungkook tries to smile and Jin notices this.

“What’s up with our maknae here? Hey, we got good news for you. Listen…” Jin sits beside Namjoon.

 

EXO Dorm –

 

Junmyeon was looking for Chanyeol for almost an hour. He played computer games with Sehun last night and slept late so he wasn’t thinking Chanyeol could be in his studio early in the morning. But he tried to check anyway. Yes, he wasn’t there. He was not in the second floor of their dormitory either. He only saw Kyungsoo sleeping in their room. He finally gave up and sat on their couch. He rested his head back on the wall where the couch was closely pinned to. A moment later, the door to their living room opened slowly. It’s Chanyeol.

 

“Hyung!” He called Junmyeon and approached him.

“Where have you been?” Junmyeon slightly opened his eyes. His eyebrow raised when he noticed,” You look worn out, Chanyeol! What did you do?”

“Chill there, hyung. Haha! I went to the gym.” Chanyeol answers so proudly, his eyes were sparkling. But Junmyeon looks concerned.

“Hey Chanyeol, don’t overdo yourself, ok? You’re fine! You don’t really have to…” Junmyeon said very gently.

“Ah! Hyung.” Chanyeol smiled. As if sad memories came rushing in to Chanyeol’s mind as he paused before speaking again. “I just want to show my best to our Eris. All idols are stepping up their games now. I’m just fired up to level-up myself, too.” He explained. For some reason, Junmyeon’s heart felt like shrinking, he couldn’t breathe and his eyes were moist. Chanyeol has been dealing with his anxieties alone lately because he preferred it that way. Bringing up a new opportunity for him makes him think if it’s going to be positive for Chanyeol or if it’s going to add up to his pile of frustrations. But Junmyeon shakes off any thoughts away.

“Oh… Our Happy Virus… You won’t be alone in that ‘stepping-up’ move, Chanyeol.” He assures the rapper. Both of them were smiling at each other when Jongin entered the living room as well.

“Oh, did I interrupt something?” Jongin asked.

“Nothing. Where have you been? You seem pretty exchausted, too.” Junmyeon asked.

“Ah… I figured out I needed to rehearse our choreography for Lotto. I do not want to be left out during our performance. Besides, I want us to make an awesome stage despite Lay-hyung’s absence.” Jongin explained. He went to the kitchen to get water. “and… “ he continued after drinking enough to quench his thirst, “Kyungsoo-hyung cheered on me when he heard I’ll be dancing to Lotto. I… do not want to disappoint him.” Jongin bends his head down a little and smirks on the memory last night.

“Oh!” Junmyeon exclaimed and surprised both Chanyeol and Jongin. “Speaking of Kyungsoo, I need to talk to him about the Seoul Music Awards.” He continued and rushed to DO’s room.

 

BTS Dorm –

 

“So, our maknae here is going to have a collaboration performance with EXO’s Do Kyungsoo on the 26th Seoul Music Awards. Isn’t that awesome? Our Jungkook’s voice getting recognized in every music show!” Namjoon revealed. Jin wasn’t as surprised anymore since Namjoon has already spilled this to Jin right after he knew.

“Just me? Oh… Can’t I have any hyung perform with me?” Jungkook was a bit hesitant. Despite BTS’ rising popularity, he has times when he can’t stand all the attention given to him.

“Don’t be a baby, Jungkook. You can do it.” Yoongi said, still cold and Jungkook noticed.

“Hyung… tsk…” Jungkook kept silent anyway.

“Hey, you can do it! Don’t be too nervous!” Taehyung appeared and rested his left arm on Jungkook’s shoulders. “I bet Kyungsoo-hyung is nice. I heard about him from one of the Hwarang staff members who got to work on one of his movies. You’ll be fine.” He assured him. Jungkook let out a smile upon hearing this. Taehyung’s eyes grew bigger when he thought of an awesome idea. “Woah! What about I sing with you? I’d like to collaborate with Kyungsoo-hyung, too, and our Jungkook here will have someone to lean on during the performance!”

“Uh… I think that won’t be possible. Sorry, Taehyung.” Jin cut off the excitement from the maknae line.

“If you really want to perform with someone from the group, maybe Yoongi-hyung here can help.” Namjoon suggested.

Yoongi immediately stopped pretending he’s sipping something out from his cup. There was silence in the kitchen. Both Jungkook and Yoongi were meaning to say something but were hindered for some reason.

“I – I can play the piano if you want.” He said without looking at Jungkook.

“If it’s a bother to you hyung, it’s okay. I’ll do this by myself” Jungkook said and smiled. He was ready to leave the kitchen without touching his food when Yoongi quickly ran towards him and stopped him from walking.

“Hey! Let me help you okay? Besides, I think we’ll make a great team.” Yoongi said and ruffled Jungkook’s hair like he’s taller than him.

“Woah, and you were so cold this morning, now you’re helping Jungkook”. Taehyung said.

“Aish! That’s not how you should talk to your hyung, Taehyung-ah!” Yoongi said half-smiling like he’s won something. “Our Jungkook right here needs hyung’s help so I’ll help him. Besides, I’ve already checked the piano sheets for the song you’ll sing with Kyungsoo.

“What?” all four of them exclaimed in chorus.

“What what? I heard Namjoon and Jin-hyung talk about it last night so I- … I just happened to check, okay?” Yoongi stuttered while explaining. “Cut it out, don’t make a big deal out of it.” He continued brushing off the stares he’s getting. “Jungkook, we’ll rehearse tomorrow, okay? You better learn the song today.” Yoongi said with finality and went to his studio as fast as he could.

 

EXO’s Dorm –

 

Kyungsoo woke up to his phone ringing. He slowly opened his eyes, glanced at the pile of scripts of his new movie he’s been studying since last night. He then reached for his phone and answered without noticing who was calling.

“Hello?” Kyungsoo said in a hoarse voice.

“Good morning, Kyungsoo-hyung!” the voice on the other line was familiar to him but he didn’t really think about who it was.

“Yeah, good morning. What can I do for you?” His general response since he didn’t know who he was talking to.

“Hyung, this is Jeon Jungkook of BTS. Have you just woken up? I’m really sorry. I can drop now so you can go back to sleep.” Jungkook was obviously fidgeting on the other line.

“Uh! No, it’s fine.” Kyungsoo immediately rubbed his eyes open when he realized it’s Jungkook. “Jungkook-ssi, what made you call?” Should I ask how he got my number first? Kyungsoo thought so he didn’t hear what Jungkook answered. “Sorry, Jungkook-ssi. What was that again?”

“Oh, hyung, I said I’m looking forward to our collaboration in SMA. I’m going to see you soon!” He replied still excited despite repeating he has just said.

“Collaboration? What co-“ Kyungsoo stopped when someone entered his room.

“Is that Jungkook already?” Jongin asked. Kyungsoo nodded.

“Right, Jungkook-ssi. I’ll see you soon! Thanks!” He spoke to Jungkook while looking at Jongin. “Bye.” And the call ended.

 

“He asked Jimin to ask Taemin to ask me to give your number so – “ Jongin immediately explained while Kyungsoo looked so puzzled.

“Uh that’s not the problem Jongin. He said about collaboration. I didn’t know I will be performing for a collab during SMA.” He gathered his script pile and placed them properly on his desk. He walked past Jongin and went straight to Junmyeon who was sitting on a small couch.

 

“Junmyeon-hyung. What’s this collaboration?” He straight-asked their leader.

“Ah! You’re awake now, Kyungsoo. I didn’t wake you ‘coz Jongin here stopped me. You’ve been busy with your scripts again.” Obviously not answering Kyungsoo’s question first, he stood up and rested his arm across Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “You’ll be singing with Jungkook-ssi. Our manager thought it’s a good idea so when it was brought up during the meeting, he agreed to it.” He explained.

“Why not Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo was hesitant. And then he remembered,”Ah! Right, he’ll sing a soundtrack on SMA. Chen’s going to perform with CBX so that’s a double-kill for Baekhyun.” He answered his own question. “If that’s Jungkook-ssi, I better prepare now, too.”

Junmyeon was happy that Kyungsoo took the performance on a positive note. Due to Kyungsoo’s busy schedules, he was worried he would turn this opportunity down. He knows how exhaustion can affect Kyungsoo’s voice.

 

BTS Dorm –

 

“You called Kyungsoo-hyung?” Yoongi asked Jungkook who entered Yoongi’s studio.

“Yep. I’m really looking forward to this collaboration, hyung!” He answered. Yoongi can see Jungkook’s reflection on anything glossy on his equipment and he smiled at the sight. He liked seeing Jungkook excited.

“I thought we’re rehearsing tomorrow. Can’t wait to work with me?” Yoongi said grinning.

“Haha! I wanna know the song, hyung. I mean, you’ve already seen the piano sheets right?” Jungkook answered as he sat down on a vacant stool beside Yoongi.

“Yeah…”

“Can I hear it now?”

“uh… “

“Why hyung? Haven’t you tried it yet?”

“I can’t really play it while you’re here.”

“Woah. You’re being picky right now hyung!”

“Aish. Just rehearse on your own for now, ok?”

“Wae?”

“Please, Jeon Jungkook.” And that made Jungkook stand and get out of Yoongi’s studio.

 

EXO Dorm –

 

“Chanyeol! Help me!” Kyungsoo exclaimed as soon as he barged into Chanyeol’s studio.

“Kyungsoo! What happened?” Chanyeol was obviously surprised as his earphones got disconnected from his laptop because he jumped too high.

“Ah, sorry Chanyeol. Haha.”

“What? Did you just make fun of me?”

“No! No… I- I really need your help.” Chanyeol relaxed at the sight of Kyungsoo being shy. So this isn’t really something serious or harming.

“Anything for you.” Chanyeol beamed a smile at him.

“Junmyeon-hyung said I’ll be collaborating with Jungkook.”

“Jungkook of BTS? Woah. That’s great! When?”

“On SMA.”

“Woah. Happy for you!”

“I need your help, aish!” Kyungsoo looked frustrated.

“Oh. Sorry… You seem nervous though.” Chanyeol walked towards Kyungsoo who just stayed by the door.

“I am. I’m pretty busy with reviewing my scripts and I haven’t gotten enough sleep yet since we’ve been promoting in Japan, back here in Seoul and back to Japan again. I feel tired but I do not want to screw this up.” Kyungsoo said with a very low voice but enough for Chanyeol to hear.

“Do you want me to accompany you on your performance?” Chanyeol smiled as he placed his right hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. Kyungsoo looked up to Chanyeol with his growing smile and his doe eyes getting bigger.

“You’d do that?” Kyungsoo’s obviously happy to hear Chanyeol’s offer.

“Is that what you were about to ask me? ‘Coz I kinda predicted it. Haha!”

“Don’t be so proud.” Kyungsoo slightly jabbed Chanyeol’s stomach. “B-but.. yeah… Thanks Chanyeol”

“So what’s the song? Sing it for me.”

“Oh… I better practice on my own first.”

“Tell me the title so I can learn it.”

 

In a studio –

 

It’s the day when Jungkook, Yoongi, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol will first meet for a collaboration. They were awkward at first. But Chanyeol being the oldest among them and being the Happy Virus that he is, he usually initiated the talks and told jokes so that all of them will warm up with each other. But the awkwardness would still be there.

“Hey” Chanyeol whispered to Kyungsoo. “Hype up man! Anything wrong?”

“It’s- …” Kyungsoo hesitated if he should tell Chanyeol but gave in anyway since it’s really bothering him. “It’s the song. I just can’t seem to focus. My mind goes somewhere else.” Chanyeol understood what Kyungsoo meant. He should know. He’s also thinking of someone while singing this song.

“Everything alright?” Yoongi interrupted as soon as Jungkook and him arrived with four cups of tea, two of which to help Jungkook’s and Kyungsoo’s throats. Jungkook offered Kyungsoo on of it.

“Kyungsoo-hyung, this should be good for our throat.” He beamed at his sunbae.”

“Oh, thanks Jungkook-ssi. It smells nice.” Kyungsoo’s phone rang even before he can taste the drink. “Oh, excuse me for a bit.”

“That must be their director. Kyungsoo’s been busy with a new movie lately.” Chanyeol explained.

“I’m glad we’re doing this collaboration with EXO-sunbae.” Jungkook expressed. Yoongi nodded and agreed to the idea.

 

Jungkook stepped away for toilet break. Chanyeol and Yoongi were left in the studio rehearsing the arrangement.

“Hey, Yoongi-ssi. I just noticed how graceful you play your piano even when we’re rehearsing. You really love to play the piano, don’t you?”

“Yeah.” He answered briefly.

“I love playing my guitar, too. Oftentimes, I play with it when I feel lonely or happy or bored.” Chanyeol shares while strumming his guitar gently.

“Yeah, I often create music so I get to use even just a keyboard in my studio…” Yoongi said. There was silence.

“It just feels different when you play a song with someone in your mind.” Yoongi adds. Chanyeol stopped strumming the strings and looked up slowly to Yoongi.

“I am thinking of someone while playing the song.” Chanyeol said.

“Me, too.” Yoongi replied “Aish! Why did they have to use this song?”

“Apparently, it’s one of Drinking Solo’s soundtracks that’s recognized by SMA. That drama where Key-hyung was casted in.” Chanyeol explained.

“It’s a great song. Let’s just try our best not to get distracted while we’re playing it.” Yoongi smiled and Chanyeol thought it was cool to see Yoongi smile. He has been cold since they met and thought maybe that’s just how Yoongi is. But after hearing him share his side about the song, maybe he’s affected by it, too. Just like how he’s affected by it.

 

Performance Day –

Author's Note: Be sure to play this song while reading below scenes.

Chanyeol starts strumming his strings. He was sitting on Kyungsoo’s right side. This was followed by Kyungsoo’s voice.

museun mareul halkka (What should I say?)

eodiseobuteo eotteohge (Where should I start?)

gogaeman tteolguneun na (I’m only hanging my head)

geureon nal baraboneun neo (You’re looking at me)

geu eosaekhan chimmuk (In this awkward silence)

 

Jungkook’s voice followed after. Yoongi smiled upon hearing him. Both singers, who were sitting in the middle, between Yoongi and Chanyeol, were closing their eyes and were feeling the music.

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

neodo algo issgessjiman (I’m sure you already know)

nunmul heullineun neoui moseubedo nae maeum (Even when I see you shedding tears

apeujiga anha (My heart doesn’t hurt anymore)

 

Yoongi’s started to play his piano. Gently blending in with Chanyeol’s guitar. Kyungsoo sings again and Chanyeol just can’t help but look at him. He remembers all the fun he had with Kyungsoo. He remembers everything. He remembers him and Jongin.

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

dareun iyuneun eopseo (There’s no other reason)

mianhadaneun maldo (I don’t even want to say I’m sorry)

yongseohae dallan maldo (or forgive me)

hago sipji anha

 

Jungkook follows, gently opens his eyes and angles his face towards Yoongi who was playing the piano on his left side. He’s hurt and he can’t understand why.

geunyang geuge jeonbuya (That’s all)

ige nae jinsimingeoya (This is how I really feel)

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

 

Kyungsoo sings again and Jungkook joins in on the third line. Chanyeol bends his head down and was biting his lip. He gets it. He’ll never have Kyungsoo love him like he loves Jongin.

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

neodo algo issgessjiman (I’m sure you already know)

nunmul heullineun neoui moseubedo nae maeum (Even when I see you shedding tears)

apeujiga anha (My heart doesn’t hurt anymore)

 

Jungkook continued to sing. Yoongi can’t help but look at Jungkook. And this time, he felt those words sang to him. Yes, he can’t have Jungkook. And that’s hurting him.

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

dareun iyuneun eopseo (There’s no other reason)

mianhadaneun maldo (I don’t even want to say I’m sorry)

yongseohae dallan maldo (or forgive me)

hago sipji anha

 

Kyungsoo takes on the next verse but the shaking of his lips was almost visible. He remembers Jongin. He sees Jongin saying these words to him. And his heart hurts.

geunyang geuge jeonbuya (That’s all)

ige nae jinsimingeoya (This is how I really feel)

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

 

Yoongi’s piano hits the of the song together with the band and it hit him as soon as Jungkook belted out. He loves him but he can’t do anything about it.

Ooohhhhhh

 

Kyungsoo and Jungkook shared the stage with their duet. All four were striving to focus but their hearts hurt and they really can’t help it.

dareun iyuneun eopseo (There’s no other reason)

mianhadaneun maldo (I don’t even want to say I’m sorry)

yongseohae dallan maldo (or forgive me)

hago sipji anha

 

geunyang geuge jeonbuya (That’s all)

ige nae jinsimingeoya (This is how I really feel)

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

neol saranghaji anha (I don’t love you)

 

It was a standing ovation. The audience were moved, they were in tears and so were the four of them.