Asleep (Dongwoo)

Alphabet

“Minwoo-ah, which movie do you want to watch?” Donghyun looked at the discs in his hands, trying to remember which ones they had seen already while Minwoo lounged on the couch behind him.

 

It wasn’t often that they had a day off from interviews and dance practice, so each member decided to take advantage of their freedom. Jeongmin and Hyunseong had gone out to wander around the shops and had promised to buy groceries on their way back. The twins were in their room, Kwangmin reading a book that he had been itching to finish for weeks and Youngmin flicking through cat pictures on his phone, cooing over every one of them.

 

Donghyun had been planning to take a nap, but Minwoo had persuaded him to watch a movie together. The younger deliberately used the sweetest voice he could muster, knowing Donghyun would not be able to refuse.

 

Now, Minwoo rose from his spot on the couch and peeked over Donghyun’s shoulder. He reached past the elder and picked out a movie from the shelf. “Have you seen this one yet, hyung?”

 

Donghyun looked at the disc. “Nope.”

 

“Let’s watch this one then.”

 

“What’s it about?” Donghyun took the cover and flipped it over to read the summary on the back while Minwoo slid the disc into the DVD player.

 

“You’ll see.” Minwoo reclaimed his place on the couch and patted the spot next to him. Donghyun sat down next to him, and the younger immediately laid rested his head on Donghyun’s lap.

 

Donghyun playfully shoved Minwoo’s shoulder. “I’m not a pillow, you know.”

 

Minwoo laughed, readjusting his head. “Just for this movie, hyung,” he promised, smiling up at Donghyun.

 

“What if I need to get up?” Donghyun joked, hand absentmindedly Minwoo’s hair.

 

“I’ll move then.” Minwoo turned his gaze to the TV screen as the movie started.

 

The two of them fell into a comfortable silence, quietly enjoying each other’s company. There was an occasional, half-hearted snort at the movie’s feeble attempt at humor, and Minwoo would comment on how well or badly the actors portrayed their characters. Donghyun sometimes answered with a thought of his own or hummed in acknowledgment.

 

Towards the end of the movie, Donghyun’s eyelids were slowly fluttering shut. He briefly snapped out of his trance to see the credits rolling across the TV screen and gave Minwoo a light tap on the shoulder. “Minwoo-ah, the movie’s over.”

 

When the younger didn’t respond, Donghyun leaned over to peer at his face. Minwoo’s eyes were closed and his mouth was slightly open, taking in deep and steady breaths. Unable to summon the energy to wake Minwoo up, Donghyun tiredly sank back into the couch and shut his eyes, ready to take the nap he originally wanted.

 

He had just started to doze off again when Minwoo began sleeptalking. Donghyun covered his face with a groan, trying to ignore the string of incessant rambling coming from the younger’s mouth.

 

Unfortunately, Jeongmin and Hyunseong chose that moment to barge into the dorm, arms loaded with groceries and talking loudly about what Hyunseong should make for dinner that night. Youngmin and Kwangmin came out of their room to see what the others had bought. The chattering in the kitchen only grew louder, and Donghyun knew it was a matter of time before they came to bother him.


Sighing in resignation, he knew he was not going to get any sleep that afternoon.