Number One Fan

Comfortable with you

Moonbyul hummed along to the radio, her eyes focused on the simmering pan before her. She loved uneventful days like this. Of course she loved performing with her members, but there was always the fear of messing up her part and letting everyone down. Days like this however, when nobody was around, Moonbyul couldn't help but relax.

A big smile formed on her lips when the song died down and the emcee announced that 4 Walls by f(x) would play next. She immediately grooved to the beat, mouthing out the words. Moonbyul's excitement grew with each passing second and soon her mouthing became actual singing by Luna's part. She mixed over the rice on her pan and used the spatula as her personal microphone. When the song ended too quick for her liking, Moonbyul laughed at her own silly antics and turned the stove off.

"Yay!" Rapid clapping resounded behind her and Moonbyul swiftly turned around, mortified. Wheein was leaning against the countertop, her dimpled grin out in the open.

"Oh—um Wheein!" Moonbyul forced out a laugh and rubbed the back of her neck. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough," Wheein teased. "You're such a nerd when it comes to f(x)."

Moonbyul felt her face grow flushed. "Yeah, you know me," she blurted out. "Love me some Krystal!" She mentally slapped herself, wondering why she would say something so awkward.

Wheein ignored the remark though, in favor of staring at the food in the pan. "Oh you made breakfast already? I'll set the table!"

Wheein scrambled to the countertops and took out two plates, eager to eat. Moonbyul silently helped out despite the shorter girl's protest and soon, they were both enjoying the kimchi rice Moonbyul made.

Moonbyul felt herself calm down, relieved that Wheein wasn't bringing up her embarassing display. She happily took a spoonful of her food.

"Hey unnie." Wheein covered her full mouth with one hand before swallowing. "Have you ever thought of singing?"

Moonbyul coughed rapidly, dropping her spoon to punch at her chest. Wheein jumped back on her chair, eyes widening. Moonbyul swallowed and took shallow breaths. She stole a quick glance at Wheein and sat up straight. "I mean..." Moonbyul trailed out. "I have thought about releasing another cover. I'm still trying to figure out the song though."

Wheein rolled her eyes. "You know that's not what I meant," she said. "Haven't you ever thought of singing in a live performance?"

Moonbyul flinched. "No."

Wheein tilted her head to the side and crossed her arms. "You don't? Why not?" She sounded genuinely curious rather than accusing.

Oh that was not a conversation Moonbyul wanted to start. It was too early to talk about her insecuities. She looked to the side and shrugged. "Well I'm already a rapper, I don't see why I should sing too."

Wheein blinked and furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "That's not a good reason at all," she retorted. "Hyejin sings and raps on stage all the time! I don't see why you can't."

"I just can't Wheein!" Moonbyul stood up from her chair, fists clenched. Her anger was already crumbling into guilt when Moonbyul saw the other girl's face. Moonbyul sighed. "I'm sorry Wheein I—" she turned away from Wheein. "I can't do it."

The room was silent and Moonbyul silently wished someone would dig her grave so she could die already. Just then, Moonbyul heard Wheein get up from her chair. Moonbyul waited for the blonde girl to walk away and slam her bedroom door because that's what Moonbyul deserved. Instead, arms wrapped around Moonbyul's waist and Wheein pressed a chaste kiss on Moonbyul's neck.

"I'm sorry," Moonbyul whispered.

Wheein shook her head. "I'm sorry for pressuring you like that. It's just... I love hearing you sing so much. You compliment on my voice, but you don't understand the effect you have on me when you sing some random song. I get so upset when I see you only rap a few lines or when strangers don't realize how valuable you are in Mamamoo. I want everyone to know how talented you are. I won't force you to do anything though, if you don't want to. There's no point if you aren't doing it for yourself."

Moonbyul grabbed one of Wheein's hands, interlacing their fingers. "I'm scared," she admitted. "I know that I shouldn't feel this way, but I can't help but feel insecure when I sing around you or the other members. I can't sing high notes like you or Yongsun nor have a range as great as Hyejin's. I'll hold us back."

Wheein frowned and held a tighter embrace around Moonbyul. "No you won't. All you've ever done is help us. You helped write so many of our songs and stayed with us whenever we couldn't get a dance move right."

Moonbyul said nothing. She let go of Wheein's hand and turned around to give Wheein a kiss on the forehead. "I'll try."

Wheein grinned. "What? Are you serious?"

Moonbyul nodded. "Not right away though, one step at a time."

The shorter girl squealed with excitement and buried her face in Moonbyul's neck. "Of course, of course! Whatever makes you comfortable."

Moonbyul gently grabbed Wheein by the chin and lifted her head up to stare into each other's eyes. "I'm comfortable with you."

Wheein scoffed. "So greasy," she insisted. She didn't reject the kiss Moonbyul gave her though.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Moonbyul stared at the crowd frantically waving their moobongs, illuminating the dark concert hall. She gulped and stared down at her clothes. Maybe she should have chosen better attire for her solo.

"You seem nervous," Wheein appeared behind her.

Moonbyul chuckled. "I guess I am."

"Well don't be." Wheein reached up to caress Moonbyul's cheek. "You're going to blow everyone away."

Moonbyul smiled softly. She glanced at the man whose hand was hovering over the soundboard and nodded his way. He gave a thumbs up and pressed a few buttons, Moonbyul walking out to the stage. The stagelights lit up as she sung the first note, everyone screaming when they realized it was Moonbyul. Soon they sang along to Moonbyul's version of Don't Forget, the girl's smile vibrant. Wheein's eyes began to water and she wiped them fiercely, not wanting to miss a second. Like the song suggested, Wheein was never going to forget this moment. She was never going to forget how proud she was of Moonbyul.

__________

[Author's Note:]

Follow me on tumblr at https://sammeup.tumblr.com
I'll be posting sneak peeks of my future fics on there. I will also be posting my own personal stories and character profiles there.