Sorrow with No Harm

When Love Dominates Everything (Detective Romance)

A summary from previous chapter- Jihyo had opened up about herself. Dong Wook's father knew about the Pohang Case and how it reached to his Dad was still unknown. The Mayor Election was coming soon and Park Sung Woo was participating for the Election. The threats and attempts to kill Jihyo by The Eagles Gang were none the past month. 

.......................................................................................
The grass creaked under his boots as he slowly walked over to the muddy ground surrounded by yellow paper strings and police officers. The rain had eased off some, become a fine mist that penetrated everything. Dong Wook was unaware of how wet his hair was until he brushed the back of his head with his hand and felt droplets coursing down his neck. 
He noticed a body, a female, still untouched, dead. Found just after nine by a couple near the bank of Han River. She was lying face down on the muddy soil. Her arms were streched behind her back and were tied with a rope. She had on a pink short dress which was now merely showing pink colour, and a two inches killer heels. Aside from the bruising on her neck, an abrasion on her ankle, the back of her head smashed with something strong objective. 
"Have you identified the body?" Dong Wook asked an officer beside him.
"Yes,sir. Kang Mirin. 24 years old."
Dong Wook put on the gloves and examined the body closely. He with caution, carefully spread her fingers that were in a tight fist. A piece of torn shirt, probably from fighting against someone before she greeted hell or heaven. He put the torn cotton on the tray that was going to be examined. 
"Where are the couple now? I would like to ask some questions," he asked as he peeled off his gloves.
"Detective Gong Yoo took them with him to the office."
"What?!" Dong Wook sounded irritated. "Why didn't he tell me first?!"
The officer looked shock and scratched his head. Everyone in this field knew well that Gong Yoo and Dong Wook were inseparable partners but lately they were becoming more like strangers. There were no particular reasons why it did so. Dong Wook himself was still wondering. To be specific, Gong Yoo had been avoiding him since last month. He always greeted him, however Gong Yoo just nodded and he was like avoiding Dong Wook. When they coincidently met while strolling around the office, even though Dong Wook smiled cheerfully as a friendly manner, Gong Yoo stayed stone face and walked on. It was not that Dong Wook didn't ask him why he acted that way, he did and all Gong Yoo replied was "I am Sorry." So Dong Wook just let him be. He never called him nor smiled at him from then. 
But it pissed Dong Wook on how Gong Yoo first took the witness without informing him when he should have. It didn't matter whether there was a conflict in between them, work was work and Dong Wook thought Gong Yoo should keep that in his mind.
Dong Wook walked over to where the victims' personal things were displayed on the tray. A gucci bag, a watch, lipsticks, mascara, an identity card, hundred thousand won. Nothing that could be of help in investigation.
"Looks like she is the rich ," Han Bin exclaimed. Dong Wook ignored and asked, "has her occupation been known?"
"On the research hyung. I will send once it has been identified." 
Dong Wook only nodded and went to where the female body was lying helplessly. Her clothes were wet and muddy from the heavy rain, probably dead towards dawn since rain started just at that time. Rain wasn't helping. It obscured evidences. The footprints that could have been there were now washed away. Gone. A Disappoinment. Dong Wook looked around in the rain for minutes until he had collected the facts and written down on his notebook and he set off to the office by his Audi.
Once he arrived, the info sheet of the victim welcomed him on his desk. He took it with a firm grip and read.

Kang Mirin, 24 years old. Used to be a hooker. Quit the job about two months ago. The fellows from the usual club she worked stated that she looked as if she had catched a great deal. She never came there and only to say hello to her coworkers, would wear and use something that would cost a fortune. From what they knew of Kim Mirin as a worker, she was always running from debts. That surprised them that she had changed into more luxurious Kim Mirin in a short time. It came to a conclusion she hooked up with a good catch. But none of her coworker knew who it was.
"Sounds intresting," Dong Wook murmured and put the info sheet back to where it originally was. He then sat on the chair and thought until his eyes laid on the file neatly put on the right side of his desk. Pohang case file. It was in its usual position as it was about one month ago. He could barely paid attention on that since he was bombarded with overloads of cases. He hid his face in his hand suddenly feeling sorrow. He had promised Jihyo that he would solve the Pohang case for her, he would look it over. But he couldn't. 
Whenever he came home, Jihyo would greet him with a hopeful eyes and a cheerful smile if he had found the pieces of Eagle Gang dirt. All he could say was sorry. 
Today was just like any other day. He would reach home at around 7 at night, would find Jihyo coming out of the kitchen welcoming with a beam of hope. Hope, that if he did found a clue on Pohang Case. And just like a routine the past month, he would shake his head muttering he was sorry, he was busy. As usual, she wouldn't blame him, instead comfort him, would say to take things slow, would be apologetic for being a burden when he himself was busy with other things.
Dong Wook felt like he was of no use. He was a loser who couldn't even protect his girlfriend. He was just a man who only gave reasons on why he couldn't solve. He was just a man who acted like he was a professional detective. In reality, he was not. 
He tightly held Jihyo in his embrace and kissed her hair. A mix of flower scent. 
"I am sorry," he mumbled into her hair and gently on her head. Jihyo shook her head with a muffle sound "no". Dong Wook wondered what he did in his past life to have a woman who was considerate and kind. She deserved more. She had experienced tragic things since she was young and although he wished to fullfill all her needs and protect her, in reality, all he could do was nothing. He was a man with nothing.
"Hey, I can't breathe," Jihyo giggled and that went straight to his concious that he was holding her so tight.
"Are you okay?" Jihyo cupped his face and stared into his eyes with consideration. Dong Wook smiled, a fake smile more than a weak smile. He didn't want to show her his loser self. The last thing he wanted do was worry her. He slightly pecked on her pouty lips and said he was going to shower. Just like that  they parted way, he into their bedroom and Jihyo to the kitchen.
A minute or two after Dong Wook went into the room, Jihyo's phone rang and she exactly knew who was calling. There wasn't a contact name. Just a number displayed on the caller ID. Unknown number. But to her, she was familiar with the number. She glanced back to their bedroom to make sure Dong Wook was out of earshot if she accepted the call. Then she made her way to the balcony. She slid the glass door and step outside on the balcony looking down the beautiful night skyline of Seoul. Rain had stopped, still its smell remained in the air. Jihyo glanced back again. Clear. Then she tapped answer.
"I thought you are not going to answer," a baritone male voice said from the other line.
"What is it this time? Just be quick?" Jihyo said in a low voice, a little irritated.
The other male hummed,  "Lee Dong Wook's home? That's why?"
"I say be quick!"
"Okay Okay, have you consider my offer?" 
Jihyo remained quiet for a moment. The offer. She had been thinking about that. But couldn't search for a better conclusion. She closed her eyes to darkness and let the night breeze touched her skin and she prayed that breeze would somehow gave her mind a clearer vision to the answer. But no. It was just a breeze. 
"Well...?" the other line interuppted her thought and her sense came back.
"How can I know I can trust you or not?"
"I have given you a proper reason to that, aren't I?" the other male replied with no hesitation.
He was right. He had given a proper reason to that.

Flashback to previous month, second day,
Dong Wook had annouced he won't be coming home and he would be sleeping at the office. The office had been busy with the news of Seoul Mayor Election and the crimes appearing here and there taking the advantage of Election. She understood he was struggling with works. So that night, although Dong Wook had insisted she be stayed home, since he was overly worried for her safety and still aware of the threat Eagle Gang had directed towards her. She didn't listen and she sneaked out at night to get groceries. It was the first time ever since Dong Wook kept her in his apartment and only allowed her to go out with him. He might know or might not. She wanted alone time and out on the street to get some fresh air.
It was the same like that night. That night when she went grocery shopping and someone followed her. Someone tried to kill her with the motorcycle. The first night she spent the night with Dong Wook.
Now it was the same. Someone was following her. She chose to walk on the crowded area and she could feel the hair on her neck rised to attention at whoever at the back following her like a hawk. Jihyo turned right and in that moment she regretted for doing so. It was a secluded area, none a sight of human being, only trash cans and cats and flies and the smell of gibberish. She chose to walk back to the main street but it was too late. Two bulky man all wearing black, came closer to her. They both wore tight pants with black leather jacket. Both of them ugly. She screamed but one of the two, a man with a chubby face with stubbles on his chin, biting a ciggarette ran towards her and shut with his big hand. Jihyo struggled to free but that was just attempt. Her tiny body was now pressed hard against the wall. She felt like dying, she screamed but it just ended in , the sound didn't come out from her covered mouth.
"She's pretty though," the more bulky man standing with his hand in his pocket said. "Let me check your bag pretty lady. Looks like you have a lot of money. Every pretty woman does."
Then the man grabbed her bag and opened the zip.
Just then like a flash, the man who was holding Jihyo's bag laid on the wet concrete floor with a groan. Blood rushed out of his nose and apparently someone had hit him.
The chubby man who was covering let her go and trotted back towards his partner. Jihyo breathed in and out heavily, coughing. When she looked up, a man in black hoodie was locked in a fight with the two men. He kicked the chubby man in his stomach with such force that the man hit the wall with a loud bump. The hoodie man then puched the leaner man, one, two, three, four, five hits and the man fainted. The chubby man got up from his dizziness and pulled out the knife from his pocket and ran with full speed to the man, the knife aiming at his stomach to stab him. The hoodie man gripped his hand with a knife just a centimeter away before it penetrated into his skin. The chubby man would have a bulky body but his strength seemed weak in level with the hoodie man who had a lean body. Just then Jihyo hit the back of the chubby man with a broken bottle she found on the floor. The chubby man fainted joining his squad on the floor. 
The two men who were trying to rob her were groaning with pain. The only people standing were her and the black hoodie. The hoodie man then picked up her bag and grabbed her by her hands and run up to the main street with her. Jihyo with no strength left couldn't care much and just followed suit behind him, thankful to be away from those robbers.
The hoodie man didn't let her hand go until they reached to a car parked near a cafe. 
"Thank you," Jihyo said. Feeling exhausted from running. Jihyo looked up to thank properly the man who saved her, and as soon as she did, her eyes widened, shock was apparent, her face turned white as if she had seen a ghost. The man had took off his hood and revealed a person she was frightened of even in her dreams. Jihyo began to run away but the man catched her hand in a swift movement.
"Please, I am not here to harm you this time."

Continuation of Flashback will be up on next chapter~~~~

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□

heow lovely readers. I am back. I am sorry for my long absence. This year is my final year in university and I had to try to get good marks. The result came out yesterday and I am finally gratuating!! Well I hope you don't mind if this chapter was too short or didn't live up to your expectation. I wanted to add some missed out parts and wanted to add more of what will be playing important roles in later chapter. Thank you again. Leave comments so I know you love it.. miss you guys....