vi. two truths and a lie

4:07 AM
vi. two truths and a lie

 

Their laughs echoed around the cold December night.

This was not one of their ‘usual’ nights.

They weren’t and tangled on Jessica’s bed, panting and gasping for air.

They were much clothed and lying side by side on the pile of blankets on Jessica’s balcony, breathing in and watching the stars above.

“I stopped growing since I was 12, I am allergic to peanuts, I don’t know how to ride a bike...”

“Uhhh the lie is... you are allergic to peanuts??”

“Wrong!!! I am! The lie is that I stopped growing at 12.”

“Really? You look like you stopped growing at 12...” Jessica mocked.

“HEY! I stopped growing at 13...” Taeyeon pouted.

“Oh my God you look so cute!” Jessica burst into laughter.

Taeyeon laughed not because of her unfortunate height, but because of Jessica. “Hey your turn!”

“Uhhh I graduated with honors, I write fanfictions of my favorite artists, I won a singing contest in our school once.”

“Easy. The first one.” Taeyeon said confidently.

“YAH! Am I supposed to be insulted??” Jessica slapped Taeyeon’s shoulder playfully. Taeyeon pretended to avoid Jessica’s attacks. They laughed. “Okay your turn!”

Taeyeon stopped laughing and looked at Jessica. She has seen Jessica countless of times but she still gets taken aback by how beautiful Jessica is.

She heaved a deep breath and she knew something inside her suddenly changed.

“I think you’re beautiful, I don’t know where you’re going, and uh---”she looked at Jessica. “I love you.”

A moment of silence engulfed the two of them. Jessica looked at her with stunned albeit questioning eyes, but Taeyeon pretended to not notice.

“So...?” Taeyeon asked, pretending to wait for Jessica’s answer.

“Oh—Uhm..” Jessica laughed and Taeyeon knew it was fake. “Of course the last one is the lie, silly.”

Taeyeon didn’t answer.

It was better this way. She can handle the pain, but she cannot let Jessica hurt more.

Taeyeon looked up the night sky and whispered to the stars to make the world stop rotating so she can hold on to Jessica for a little longer.