With the Flash of a Camera

Love at Han River

Kikwang’s POV


“Alright, that’s a wrap for today. Good job, everyone.” said the director. Along with the other members, we started to head for the elevator. Today was a photo shoot at Seoul tower, for a brand we are currently marketing. We went to the trailers, got dressed and meet up with our manager.

“O.K., everyone. The schedule for today is complete. So you are free to go about your business. We have a dance rehearsal tomorrow for Music bank, and you are all to go on a radio station tomorrow afternoon.” He said, dismissing us for the day. After he left, we went into our group’s van.

“Ah, today’s a nice day. What should we do today? It’s only 2:00 pm right now.” Yoseob asked, as the driver wait for instructions from the group. Dongwoon was the first to come up with something.

“There’s this place by Banpo Bridge. They serve good foreign food.” He said, which we all agreed to. After telling the driver, we took the 30 minute drive to the place. I felt the excitement building in me as we got closer to the Han river. It’s been so long since I’ve seen it. I was debating on how I was going to sneak away from them to see the river by myself when we arrived to the place. It was a pizzeria, so we ordered a few pies with interesting toppings and ate. After I felt full, I stood up from the table we were seated at. The other members looked at me questionably.

“Um, I’m going to meet up with you guys later. There’s somewhere I have to go first.” I said.

“Really? Do you want us to come with you? We can all go together.” Doojoon offered, swallowing a large bite he just took.

“Ani, it’s okay. I’ll call you guys later to find where you all are.” I said, leaving the table.

“Yah! Kikwang!” Yoseob shouted, and I turned around. He tossed a pair of sunglasses to me. “Disguise!” He said covering his eyes. I thanked him, and left the pizzeria, not forgetting to put the sunglasses on. I pulled my hood over my head and started walking in the direction of Han River. When I arrived to Banpo Bridge, everything was as I remembered. I walked across the street and over to the side of the river. Looking out, it was a really nice view. I took off my sunglasses and hood, since there weren’t any people around. The bridge’s fountain wasn’t on, but I think it still looked nice. I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds around me. There were cars moving, water trickling, people walking and talking at a distance, a camera flash going off…

My eyes flew open at that last sound. Fearing it was a paparazzi, I turned my head in the direction where the camera went off, and was taken aback. While I was expecting an older man, instead it was a young woman, around the same age as myself. She was looking at the picture she just took proudly, and I felt my heart skip a beat when she looked up at me. That face, it was so familiar, but I couldn’t remember who she was. Smiling, she walked over to me.

“Hi, I’m sorry I took a picture without asking permission, but it was a good scene, look.” The girl said, showing me the camera. I was chuckling to myself when she did. No paparazzi here. Looking at the picture, it came out very professional. “It probably can use a little tweaking of the lighting here and there, but it came out very nice. You’re very photogenic. Do you mind if I use this picture for my school assignment? I’m studying to be a photographer.” I felt my heart skip another beat. She seems so familiar… why do I feel like I know her… I don’t think we went to school together, so where… “If you don’t want me to, I can delete it now…” she said, taking my silence as a no. She was starting to walk away when I walked in front of her.

“A-aniyo! I mean, you can use it. I don’t mind. Really.” I said, smiling at her. Her face brightened up.

“Kamsahamnida. I’ll give you credit if you want.” She said, taking out a piece of paper and pencil. At first, I thought that she was going to give it to me to sign, but instead she kept it to herself, preparing to write on it. “What’s your name?”

I smiled, trying to hide my slight disappointment. It didn’t seem like she recognized me. “Lee Kikwang” I said. For a moment her face froze, but then she shook her head and wrote down my name. I wanted to ask her about it, but decided against it.

“Okay, I’ll make sure to give you credit.” She said, putting the paper in her pocket. We stood silently for a few seconds, looking at the Han River. “You know, this place is one of the best places to sit and relax when no one is around. It’s always like this for about 30 minutes after 3:00 pm.”

“So, you come here a lot?” I asked, looking over to her. She nodded.

“Every day. It’s rare that someone else is here, like you.” She said, looking at me. “Don’t tell anyone about this place, arasso? Or else I’ll make you into a clown in my picture.” She said, making me laugh. After a few minutes of talking, her watch beeped. “Well, I got to go back to class now. Maybe I’ll see you around?” she asked, to which I simply nodded. I didn’t want her to go. “Bye bye.” She waved, walking away. When she reached the sidewalk, I felt my heart lurch. I still don’t know her name.

Should I go? Would that be weird? Would that make me seem like a stalker? Aish, what should I do? I looked back in her direction. Once she got out of sight, I felt empty. That’s it. I ran in the direction she headed. She had already crossed the street. I ran across the street, nearly getting hit twice. “Yah! Yah! You! Wait!” I shouted, getting a few strange stares from some foreigners. Once I caught sight of her, I ran at full speed. I reached for her arm, and grabbed her wrist. She turned around, surprise written all over her face.

“Wha- what’s your… your name?” I asked her, out of breath. After a few seconds, she spoke, and I felt as if the world stopped.

“Go Miyan.”