The First Bomb

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Everybody has to start somewhere. Let’s just hope it doesn’t end here too.”

MB: Yeba! Guess what
SL: What?
MB: I just bought a new game!
SL: Really? Another one?
MB: Um, yeah?
MB: This game is super awesome! I heard it’s a fun way to form stronger bonds! I want to spend time with people that I love; especially you ;)
SL: Aww, is that so? I’m coming over.

“Just need to hook this USB up here annnnd… done!”

 Today, Moon Byulyi had no schedule from work and took the opportunity to kick back and play. As she finished setting up the game through her large T.V. screen, she stood up and saw her Oculus Rift and Steam controller resting on top of her coffee table; along with a blue binder that contained twenty-three pages of modules that will be needed to use for the game. While she was browsing through the Steam store, she came across with the overall reviews of the bomb defusal game. Some of which she took note of was the following:

“Want to go from calm, ordered communication to screaming incoherently at your best friend? This is the game for you!”- #1092

“There aren’t too many games that I can play with my wife. This is one of them. There aren’t too many games that I can play with my wife that she doesn’t end up calling me stupid. This is not one of them.”- #1163

And lastly:

“This game is the bomb. Get it? :D” - #642

The reviews amused Byulyi and her curiosity so she ended up downloading and printing off the Korean translated version of the game and manual since she wasn’t fluent in English.

Language barrier didn’t stop her from jumping into the fun though.

While Byulyi was waiting for the game screen to load, she heard the front door open.

“Byul-ah, I’m here! Got some food for us!”

Byulyi grinned as she got up to greet her beloved sunshine, Kim Yongsun; smiling vibrantly with her dimples and puffy cheeks while holding takeout.

“Hey, yeba. Thanks for coming over!”

Byulyi ushered Yongsun in and gently grabbed the takeout from her hands as she went over to the kitchen place it on top of a counter. She then quickly went over to the living room to grab her VR gear while waiting for Yongsun.

Yongsun took her time to shut and locked the door while taking her pair of boots off. When finished, she followed her girlfriend over to the area and saw the elaborate set-up.

“Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes…” Yongsun read with a slight Korean accent. “Wow, what’s with all the get up? Is this part of the new game you’re telling me about?”

Byulyi chuckled and grinned sheepishly.

“Yeah. One of my friends recently got me an Oculus Rift as a Christmas present and I never really got a chance to use it so… I want you to try it with me.”

“Aww. I’m honoured.”

Yongsun came up to Byulyi and gave her a kiss on the cheek; which made both blushed with a silly smile on their faces.

“A-anyways, let’s sit,” Byulyi gestured as both women sat down onto a sofa. “I need to set the headgear into your head.”

“Oh, you’re letting me wearing this?” Yongsun asked.

Byulyi nodded.

“O-okay. I hope I don’t break anything.”

“Don’t worry, yeba. Either way, I have a way of fixing things.”

In case some people didn’t know, Byulyi was known to be a go-to technician when it comes to gadgets and devices. She always had a knack of figuring out what went wrong with the system mainframe and would come up with simple solutions for people to fix. She couldn’t wait to take the Oculus Rift apart.

For now, she wanted to spend quality time with her Yongsun as she gently placed the VR headset on top of her girlfriend’s head.

“Everything looks good in here?” Byulyi asked.

“Yep!” Yongsun nodded her head excitedly as she saw the game’s main menu. “Woaaaah, everything is moving~”

Byulyi laughed and placed her hands on both sides of Yongsun’s head. “Get a hold of yourself; you’re in the virtual reality space! Are you dizzy?”

Yongsun shook her head. “I’m fine, Byul-ah.”

“Good, good,” Byulyi lets go of Yongsun’s head as she reached her arm out towards her Steam controller. When she grabbed it, Byulyi gently grabbed Yongsun’s hands and placed the controller between them.

The little gesture made Yongsun blushed.

“Okay, before I turn off the T.V, I need to go over the controls with you in the tutorial section just so you get the feel of the game.”

“Turn off the T.V? Why?”

“I’m not allowed to peek over what you see,” Byulyi said. “It’s a co-op game where you; are the bomb handler while I; the bomb expert, who reads off the manual and navigate you through the defusing process. Both of us cannot see each other’s parts.”

“Ohh, so all I have to do is describe the bomb?” Yongsun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter