final

sun and moon

The first set of stars are already twinkling in the sky by the time Minseok arrives home, letting Yixing do the closing since the younger is still waiting for his fiancé to come pick him up, wanting Yifan to be the first to taste the new pastries he just baked. He's also exhausted, the Christmas rush pouring in double – maybe even triple – the amount of customers his coffee shop usually caters in a day. With Sehun flying to China for an overseas exchange program and Junmyeon's recent resignation as his manager, Minseok has been spending most of his time in his shop, helping out in the register, kitchen and practically everywhere until they can hire part-timers to fill in the space his two employees left.

Right when he opens the door, a pair of grins welcome him, giggling and making grabby hands as two sets of eyes look up at him expectantly. He feels his exhaustion quickly dissipate just by the mere sight of the twins, their smiles invigorating his previously tired body.

"Appa!" The two greet him cheerfully like they always whenever either of their fathers arrive home. He leans down and kisses them both on the forehead, handing each of them the bag of cookies Yixing prepared for them – proving to be the best godfather.

"Where's Baba?" Minseok asks afterwards, glad he still has his children's attention even after being given a bag of treats. The two don't answer however, instead they pull him deeper into their house, making him stumble while he toes off his shoes. Excitement overflows from the kids and he can't help but anticipate what he will see when he finally finds his husband.

His breath catches in his throat when they arrive at their receiving area, Lu Han sat amongst boxes of ornaments and the fake tree they bought just the week before to decorate their house for the holidays. The rest of the house is already adorned by festive embellishments in green, red and gold. They didn't want to be too creative in their first year of properly celebrating the occasion, sticking to cliché colours of the season. It’s the most colourful their house has ever been that Minseok stops for a few seconds to take it all in.

"We've been waiting for you," Lu Han says where he's now joined by their children, setting their cookies aside to help their father. There's a beautiful smile on his lips and Minseok has to restrain himself from doing more than just kiss his husband in front of their innocent children when he finally sits beside the Chinese male, hearing about their day as they start putting together the Christmas tree.

"Yue, Yang, choose where you want to put these," Lu Han asks their children, raising the two ornaments designed as sun and moon, representing the twins. The two enthusiastically reach for their designated embellishments, Yueliang taking the moon and Taeyang taking the sun. Their parents watch with fond expressions as they debate on where best to put them, looking back to Minseok and Lu Han when they've finally decided. Their fathers carry them so they can point out where they want them to be placed, the parents allowing the twins to put the ornaments themselves.

Once the tree is full of baubles and their boxes are already empty, Lu Han and the children sit down in front of their finished work, waiting for Minseok to plug the lights. The twin's eyes are transfixed on the blinking lights, lips forming small o's to show their amazement. Minseok and Lu Han let them stay in front of the tree, retreating to the couch to watch them from afar.

"Who would have thought," Lu Han breathes out, the awe evident in his voice as he watches the two boys giggling and whispering about something they can barely hear.

Minseok wants to say the same. They didn't really plan on adopting children until five years into their marriage. But it just felt right two years ago that the Korean picked up his husband at the university where Lu Han works as a professor, drove them to an adoption center and mingled with the children at the orphanage to see if any of them felt comfortable with Minseok and Lu Han especially since they are not exactly a conventional couple. Back then, Yueliang and Taeyang were still babies, seven months old and unknowing. When Lu Han held Yueliang, however, he felt the need to protect him and when he met eyes with Minseok they knew they've come to a decision.

Lu Han, having grown up from an orphanage himself, feels a certain protectiveness over the children who are like him before, abandoned and alone. It was a very hard decision to make for him, at first, considering how every child he met made him feel he needed to save them. He knew that when they start adopting, it will be followed by another and another until they can't anymore. Minseok trusted him, however, and promised they would always visit the orphanage when their schedules allowed them. And the Korean never broke his promise, taking Lu Han to see the children every time the professor has a day off from university work. He saw the children so often that he realized the people at the orphanage treated them well and found family in the others who they share the same fate with, leaving him satisfied with adopting just the twins.

The adoption process was tedious as well and part of the reason why Lu Han settled for having the twins alone. The two had to go through rounds of interviews and accommodate visits from the social worker to their home and respective workplace to do an ocular inspection and talk to their co-workers. It took almost a year before they were able to bring home the kids, their friends even surprising them when they arrived. Minseok remembers Lu Han tearing up when the twins started padding around their space, familiarizing themselves with their new home, their giggles followed by coos from their uncles.

Slowly, the two boys get up from their spot in front of the tree and walk towards the couch, climbing up their parents' laps to settle there, snuggling into their fathers' chests before snoring away. Minseok watches as Lu Han tightens his arms around Taeyang, burying his face into their son's hair before inhaling and pressing a light kiss to his scalp. Lu Han turns to him, a little surprised that he's being watched but his expression changes quickly, smiling as he reaches out to push Yueliang's bangs to the side. The Chinese man smiles when he sees their son's face scrunching up adorably before going back to peaceful expression. His hand falls down to where Minseok's hand is lying on the couch, palm up. Lu Han interlaces their fingers and the Korean smiles against Yue's forehead when he feels the light squeeze on his hand. No words get exchanged as they allow the silence to envelop them, letting the time pass like that, soaking in the presence of family.

 

 

 

 


A/N: Yueliang is moon in Mandarin and Taeyang is sun in Korean :)