Burning Fire (Fever)

In the Name of Love

If I warned you that the fire's gonna burn

Would you walk in?

 

Joonmyun is exhausted. He’s been busy all week trying to get things together for the festival next Saturday. He doesn't understand why it was happening on a weekend anyway. That didn't seem fair. It was even more unfair that he has to spend this Saturday working when he could be doing other things. Things that involved him hanging out with Yixing. The other boy had been sick for the past few days. What they had thought was a cold, turned out be more than that. Well, more like it took a toll on Yixing. Even when Joonmyun visited him, he didn't move much and his voice sounded hoarse from all the coughing. He slept a lot too. Most of Joonmyun's visiting time was spent with Yixing leaning on him as he did homework. The Korean boy doesn't mind, but he is worried. If Yixing didn't get better soon, they wouldn't be able to have their first date. At this point, he doesn't mind the idea of just spending the day inside.

However, he has Student Council duties that require him to focus on the task at hand: making sure everyone was in the right area. Joonmyun walks along past the stalls and pop-up shops to make sure everyone is in their place. He designed the map a certain way, so nothing can be wrong. He taps his pen against the clipboard in his hands “Poetry club...Supernatural club...Sherlock club...Glee club…” Joonmyun ticks off each club as he walks past them.

“JOON-HYUNG!!!”

Joonmyun doesn't have to turn around to know that it's Sehun calling him “What is it?”

“Drama club is whining about their stage not being big enough,” Sehun says breathlessly. He must have been running.

The older boy groans because this is too much for one person. Yifan should be here helping him. Well, he is here but he too worried about Yixing to be of much help. “Where's Yifan?”

“He's...uh...well…”

“What?”

“He's been flirting with one of the girls in the Fashionettes.”

Joonmyun stops walking and his grip tightens on the clipboard. Here he was thinking that Yifan was worrying about his little brother, but he was really flirting with some wannabe model! The brunet takes a deep breath and turns to Sehun “Check on the other clubs, I’m going to get our President.” He angrily makes his way over to the Fashionette stand.

Sure enough when Joonmyun gets there, Yifan is leaning on a support talking to a very giggly girl. The brunet’s eye twitches as he walks closer. How dare this jerk leave everything to him when he should be helping?! When he reaches them, Joonmyun plasters on his angelic smile and grabs Yifan's wrist tightly. “Excuse me, I need to borrow him,” he starts pulling the giant away without waiting for an answer. When they are far enough away, he trades his smile for a glare “What are you doing?!”

“What?” Yifan looks somewhat surprised.

“Why are you over here flirting while we have work to do?”

“I figured you had everything under control.”

Joonmyun takes a deep breath “I quit.” He presses the clipboard against Yifan’s chest and turns to walk away “Good luck.”

Yifan goes after the smaller boy and catches him by the arm “I’m sorry. It's just that, that’s Sana and I’ve heard we would make a good couple so I thought I'd go for it.”

Joonmyun knows Sana. She is one of the popular girls at their school and she's was the leader of the Fashionettes. There were a lot of people that “shipped” her and Yifan together. Joonmyun figures it's because they're both considered good-looking. Regardless, he doesn't really care; he just wants Yifan to help out. “Then flirt with her on your own time. We have a festival to plan.”

“Yes sir.”

“Great,” Joonmyun takes back the clipboard. “Now go tell Drama club that their stage is as big as it's gonna get. If they argue, threaten to kick them out of the festival. I’d do it myself, but you're scarier.”

“You mean, I’m taller.”

“Oh shut it,” the younger boy hits the laughing blond with his clipboard.

Yifan laughs as he runs off toward the Drama club set “Later, short stuff.”

Joonmyun wants to throw something at him, but he settles for rolling his eyes. He had more important things to worry about.


Tao practically tears the box open. The costumes he ordered have arrived and he can't wait to see what they look like. He got them in four colors: white for Joonmyun; blue for him and Sehun; red for Jongdae; black for Kris. That's the one he's most excited to see. He knows that the black will look good on their President. Maybe he could get Yifan to try his costume on.

Tao pulls the costumes from the box and lays them across the Student Council room table. They are beautiful and the gold accents are perfect. Just like he thought they would be. He's proud of his choice that proves even further that he’s a fashion genius. He picks up the blue one he plans to wear. It’s a deep navy with gold cuffs and neckline. The buttons are gold as well and it's structure makes it look very military. Tao debates dying his hair to match.

“Hey Tao.” There's a knock at the door and Yifan pops his head in.

Tao stops daydreaming and has to tighten his grip on the costume so he doesn't drop it on the floor. “Uh Yifan-ge, what are you doing here?”

“I told Joonmyun I would come check on you.” Yifan crosses the room and drops himself in his usual chair “I really just needed a break.”

“What would the student body do if they knew that our VP does most of the work?”

“Yah! I do stuff around here too!”

Tao laughs as he lays the costume back on the table “Name one thing you do that doesn't involve breaking up arguments.”

“Uh…”

The younger boy watches as the blond racks his brain for an answer. He really doesn't mind that their president doesn't do much, but he likes to see Yifan flustered. After a minute of silence, Tao speaks “Point proven.”

“Okay fine, but Joonmyun likes this stuff.” Yifan runs a hand through his hair “I only ran because everyone kept asking if I would.” He had never intended to be President, but everyone kept bugging him about it. He decided he would and he won. Not because he had plans, but because he was popular.

Tao looks at Yifan worriedly “I was just kidding. You're not a bad president.”

The taller boy looks up at Tao and smiles smugly “Yeah I know. I just wanted to hear you say it.”

Tao pulls the packaging paper out of the box and throws it in Yifan's face “You jerk!” He hates it when the older boy smiles like that. It makes him feel weak and breathless. It's not fair that Yifan has this kind of effect on him and he doesn't even know it.

“Come on, you set yourself up for that,” Yifan laughs.

Tao turns away and crosses his arms over his chest “Go away.”

The blonde sighs as he gets up from his chair and walks over to Tao. He backhugs him and slowly rocks them from side to side “Taozi don't be mad. I was just kidding.”

The slightly shorter boy smiles. He likes the feeling of being in Yifan's arms, of being held like this. It lets him believe, just for a moment, that the elder shares his feelings and they are really a couple. He wants to stay like this forever.

However, all good things must come to end and they do when Yifan lets go of him to look at the costumes on the table. “Are these what we’re wearing for the cafe?”

Somehow Tao feels cold when Yifan's warmth is gone from him. He closes his eyes for a moment, takes a deep breath and opens them again. Yifan is a friend. That's all he’ll ever be. A friend. “Yeah,” Tao turns with a smile “The black one’s yours.”

Yifan picks the black jacket up and holds it up to himself “Looks cool. Should I try it on?”

“Sure. I need to know if it fits anyway.”

“Alright,” Yifan puts the jacket down and starts to pull off his t-shirt.

Tao doesn't think this is necessary and feels like Yifan is just showing off. He doubts it, but it doesn't change what's happening right in front of him. His crush is putting his chest on display right in front of him and holy sunshine, he is beautiful. Toned abs, smooth skin and those arms. Ugh. Tao wants to turn away, but that might be weird and he can't stop staring anyway.

“Is something wrong?”

Tao snaps out of his thoughts and quickly shakes his head “Uh no, I’m fine.” You're fine.

“Oh okay,” Yifan reaches for the jacket and pulls it on.

The raven-haired boy watches intensely as his fingers move deftly over the gold buttons. I was right, he thinks as Yifan finishes; he really did look amazing. Tao steps forward to fix the collar, gently brushing his fingers against the blonde’s skin. He steps back before he does too much “You look good.”

“Uh yeah, I’m Zhang Yifan. I look good in everything,” he flips his bangs.

Tao rolls his eyes “Whatever you say.”

“Should we go show the others?”

Tao doesn't really want to share this view with anyone else, but he acquiesces. It's better for him to not let himself fantasize for too long. It just hurts more that way.


Joonmyun is glad when he finally gets a break. He plops down on the sofa in the Student Council pop-up cafe. Things are coming along well and there are less arguments than earlier. This gives him time to breathe and let his mind be concerned with more important things. He pulls out his phone to see that Yixing has texted him three times today. He feels bad for not having responded, but he's been busy. He also thought the other boy would be resting all day. Well since he's on break, Joonmyun thinks this a good time to respond.

To XING: I’m sorry about this late response. I’m fine. How are you?

To KJM: I’m really tired. Being sick .

To XING: I can imagine. Is there anything I can do to help?

To KJM: You can tell me how things are going with setting up the cafe.

Joonmyun laughs. Yixing is always more concerned about him than himself. He doesn't really understand. How can Yixing be lying in bed and worried about how setup is going? Maybe to keep his mind off of being sick. That makes sense. He probably felt bad about not being able to help out. Joonmyun hopes Yixing doesn't feel bad, but there was no way he'd find out anyway. The older boy decides that it's best to make sure that Xing thinks positive.

To XING: Everything is good. We're actually almost done, at least the cafe is. The Coffee Club will set up the rest.

To KJM: Good. I hope you don't get too worn out.

To XING: I won’t. I promise I’ll be in tip-top shape when I come to visit you.

To KJM: Tip-top? Sehun was right, you are an old man.

To XING: Am not! There's nothing wrong with saying tip-top.

To KJM: There are so many things wrong with saying tip-top.

To XING: You’re so mean.

To KJM: Only because I like you <3

A grin spreads across Joonmyun's face and he can't help feeling warm inside. Not that he doesn't know Yixing likes him, but he feels especially good when the other boy says it. He reads the text over and over again, making him smile more and his cheeks hurt. It's the good kind of pain that he doesn't mind since it's Yixing-induced.

“Hyung!”

Joonmyun snaps back to reality when he hears Jongdae calling. He quickly turns off his phone and shoves it into his pocket. He tries to straighten his face, but the thought of the text has his lips curling up at the corners. “Hey, what's up?”

Jongdae raises an eyebrow “Why are you so happy?”

The older boy knows his smile probably hasn't relaxed at all, but he tries to play it cool. “What are you talking about?”

Jongdae gives him a look as if asking why Joonmyun's insulting his intelligence “I’m not blind. You're clearly super happy about something, so what is it?”

“I’m just a happy guy.”

“Just a happy guy…” Jongdae is not impressed. “Did Yixing say something to you?”

“What? What does Yixing have to do with anything?”

“Oh, I don't know, because you like him!

Joonmyun rolls his eyes “I do not like him. We're just friends, I told you that before.” They haven't told anyone. Why should they? They hadn't even gone on a real first date yet. Besides, it was their business and no one else's; they had a right to privacy.

“Fine, be in denial if you want.”

“Anyway, what are you doing here?”

Jongdae sits next to Joonmyun and crosses his arms over his chest “Yifan-hyung says we're working with the Coffee Club for our shop. Is that true?”

Yes. Joonmyun doesn't know how to answer this properly. For most, it's an easy yes or no, but not when your friend's ex is in the club. He takes a deep breath “We thought it would be good for business. Since we can't make the fancy drinks ourselves.”

Jongdae just stares straight ahead. He doesn’t immediately answer because he can't yell at Joonmyun. The older boy isn't wrong, but it still hurts nonetheless. “Okay,” he says as he stands to leave. He doesn't want to do it, but he will for the sake of Student Council.

“Jongdae--” Joonmyun stands and wants to apologize for not consulting him before but Jongdae just holds up a hand.

“It’s fine. I’m gonna see if any other clubs need help.” Jongdae puts his hands in his pockets and leaves.

Joonmyun stands there for a moment, feeling awful. He wishes he had talked to Jongdae beforehand about the collaboration. His phone vibrates in his pocket and he pulls it out. Yixing's last message is on the screen reminding him that he needs to respond.

TO XING: I like you too. Enough to bring you tea.

TO KJM: Passion Tango?

TO XING: Sure. I’ll see you when I'm done here.

TO KJM: See you later.

Joonmyun likes the way things are with Yixing: simple with no complications. He wonders why all relationships can't be this way. Unfortunately, he has no time to ponder this as he catches two club leaders in an argument. He sighs as he pockets his phone again to go settle things, wondering why he's doing Yifan's job.

It's evening when they decide to be done for the day. Not super late, but around seven everyone decided that it was too dark to see; no one wanted to risk messing up their hard work. Everyone is leaving when Sehun makes a suggestion: “Let's go get dinner!”

Joonmyun looks over as he finishes buttoning his coat “Sorry, Xing is sick and I promised I would bring him tea.”

“Since when do you call him ‘Xing’?” Jongdae wiggles his eyebrows and a cat-like grin spreads over his face.

The older boy shoots him a glare “Shut it.”

“Ooh scary.”

Yifan rolls his eyes “Jongdae leave Joonmyun alone. Anyway, I have to go check on Yixing too, so no thanks.”

Sehun pouts and looks at Tao while pushing out his lower lip “Taotao?”

“Sure, I don't mind.” He’s always up for food and it's fun to eat with friends.

“Awesome!” Sehun cheers then looks at Jongdae “Hyung?”

“Yeah let's get dinner.”

“Sweet!” Sehun looks back at the two oldest “Are you sure you can't come with us?”

“Sorry Sehun,” Joonmyun pats the younger boy's shoulder “Maybe next time.” He was honestly looking forward to spending the rest of the evening with Yixing. He had felt bad for not being with him and he wanted a chance to make it right.

“I got an idea!” Jongdae pipes up.

Joonmyun doesn't like the sound of that. Yifan doesn't like it either. Jongdae only offers up ideas that allow him to be nosy in some way.

“Why don't we get food and take it back to Yifan-hyung’s house? That way we can all visit Yixing!”

“That's a great idea,” Sehun agreed.

“I don't know. He's sick and I don't think having us all around is going to make him feel any better,” Yifan argued. “We’ll probably just give him unnecessary germs.”

Tao sided with Sehun and Jongdae “I think Yixing would like having dinner with us.”

Joonmyun sighed. They weren't wrong about that. Yixing would love anything that would make him feel remotely normal. As much as he wanted to be against the idea, he wanted to make Yixing happy. He smiled reluctantly “If it's okay with Yifan.”

Yifan stares in shock at Joonmyun. He thought the shorter boy would side with him on the matter. Apparently not. He groans “Fine.”

There's a collective cheer from the younger boys as they head away from the school. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad.


Yixing is just waking up when the nurse, Seohyun,  knocks on his door. He's been feeling pretty awful for most of the day, but his fever has started to go down. He was grateful for that at least. The nurse pokes her head in and smiles at him. He doesn't really understand why she's so happy. Maybe it's because she's not the one laying in bed feeling like her body is preparing for spontaneous combustion. He sits up as she comes into the room “How are you feeling?”

Is that really a question? “Like my body's gonna catch fire at any moment.”

Seohyun chuckles as she takes out the thermometer and puts it in Yixing's mouth “Well the way things have been going, I’m sure that won't happen.”

Yixing hopes she's right. He hates being laid up in bed when he could be doing something productive. He had wanted to help set up for the school festival, but instead he was suffering because his body can't handle a stupid cold.

The thermometer beeps and Seohyun removes it “99.6. See? I told you that it's getting better.” Yixing smiles because that's only mild compared to before. “Now if you have the strength to get up, there are some people downstairs who want to see you.”

“People?” Yixing tilts his head “Who?”

“Head down to the living room and find out.”

Yixing was still confused as Seohyun left the room. Who would be coming to see him? The only person he could think of was Joonmyun, but there was no reason for Seohyun to announce him like that. Besides, she had said people as in more than one person. Yixing pushed the covers off himself and got out of the bed to go down to the living room. He crept down the stairs and peeked over the railing. He couldn't see anything, but he heard voices, voices he recognized. He continued down the stairs and down the hallway to the living room. He gasped. There were his friends sitting in a circle on the floor with practically an entire Chinese restaurant in front of them.

Tao was the first to notice him “Hey Yixing-ge. Come sit with us, we brought dinner.”

Yixing remains frozen for a moment before smiling. He hadn't been expecting this at all. “You guys are the best,” he said as he sat down between Sehun and Joonmyun.

“It was my idea!” Sehun exclaims or as best he can with food in his mouth.

“Gross,” Jongdae shoves him “Can you not?”

Joonmyun sits a bowl in front of Yixing and whispers “How are you feeling?”

“Better.”

“Good,” the older boy smiles as he sits a cup in front of him too “I didn't forget your tea.”

Yixing blushes “You wouldn't.”

Yifan looks over at his brother and Joonmyun, trying to resist the urge to puke. Did they have to be so sickeningly cute?

“So Yixing-ge, did Joonmyun-hyung ever give you an answer?” Tao asks out of the blue.

Said boy in question chokes. Why were they talking about this? Of all the things Tao could of brought up, he brings up the confession.

“Answer?” Sehun questions “For what?”

Jongdae smirks “Yes, for what Tao?”

“You guys don't know? Gege confessed and Joon-hyung was gonna respond but Yifan burst in and ruined everything.”

“I did not!” Yifan protests. “Besides, Joonmyun couldn't give an answer without my permission anyway. Guy code.”

Sehun gives Yifan a disappointed look “You are so mean.”

“I am not mean!”

Yixing laughs as the other boys gang upon his brother and Joonmyun just wants them to stop talking about it altogether.

“I think we need to focus on the important question,” Jongdae stares pointedly at Joonmyun “What did you say hyung?”

Joonmyun glares, refusing to answer. Yixing pokes his cheek “Why are you making a face like that? Do you not want to tell them?”

This does it for Joonmyun. His blood is in his cheeks and Jongdae is bursting with laughter. They don't have to tell anything. Yixing's reaction is answer enough.

“Are you two really dating?” Sehun leans forward.

Joonmyun nods “Yes, well sort of.”

“The school festival is going to be our first date,” Yixing says cheerfully as he clings to his partner’s arm.

“Ew,” Tao wrinkles his nose “Seriously? Hyung, you can do better than that.”

“Yeah, you’re rich,” Jongdae adds, finally settling down from his laughter.

Joonmyun rolls his eyes “I’m not rich and I thought it was a good idea.”

“Dude, your parents are like the biggest donors to our school. You're rich.”

Sehun looks at Yifan “And what do you have to say about all this?”

The blonde looks up from his bowl “Joonmyun knows if he hurts my brother, I’ll kill him.”

“Can we please talk about anything else?” Joonmyun pleads.

“Guys, you’re embarrassing him,” Yixing prubs the older boy's back “He's shy.”

“I’m not shy!”

“Hyung, your face is red up to your ears,” Sehun points out. The group bursts into a fit of laughter and Joonmyun wants to disappear. He’s not shy or ashamed. He just wants to be a good boyfriend to Yixing.

“Well at least we know Yixing-ge is in good hands,” Tao smiles.

Jongdae nods in agreement “Yeah, hyung is a good guy. Boring, but good.”

“And he's rich,” Sehun adds.

Yifan pats his friend's shoulder “I wouldn't trust Xing to anyone else.”

Joonmyun looks around at all his friends and is happy that they all think well of him. He looks at Yixing, who’s staring back proudly.

“I now pronounce you Mr. and Mrs.Kim!” Jongdae shouts and throws some of his rice. Before Joonmyun can scold him, all his friends are showering him and Yixing with rice. Yixing laughs his sweet laugh and his dimple appears on his cheek. Joonmyun kisses it and laughs too. Later he’ll thank Jongdae for suggesting they eat at the Zhang house.

 

By eleven, the three youngest are gone and Yifan is off to bed. Yixing asks Joonmyun to stay the night to which he agrees. “Thanks again for coming over,” Yixing says as they finally get up from the floor to go to bed.

“Don't thank me, it was all Jongdae’s idea.”

“Jongdae? I thought Sehun said it was his idea.”

Joonmyun shrugs as they reach the stairs “Sehun wanted to get dinner. Yifan and I told them to go without us because I promised you tea and you know, Yifan was just worried. So Jongdae suggested that we bring dinner to you.”

“Ah,” Yixing stared down at his feet “I’m sorry.” He didn't want to be a burden on his friends. He didn't want to keep them from eating out just because he was too sick to go.

“Xing, it's fine.” Joonmyun chuckles as they ascend the stairs “Besides, I don't think a restaurant would've been too happy with is throwing rice everywhere.”

“Yeah,” Yixing smiles “I’ll have to tha--” The brunet stops moving. He feels light-headed. He sways on his feet and grips the stair railing tight so he doesn't fall.

Joonmyun looks worriedly at Yixing. He puts an arm around the younger boy's waist and holds onto him “Let's get you into bed.” He doesn't need to check to know that Yixing's temperature has gone back up.

Yixing seems a bit better once he's in bed and has had a glass of water. “Thanks,” he says he lays down.

“You don't have to thank me,” Joonmyun places a damp cloth on Yixing’s head as the other boy flinches from the cold. “This should help to cool you down.”

“But you're doing so much for me.”

“It's what I signed up for when I agreed to date you.”

Yixing gives a wry laugh “If only everyone saw it that way.”

“What do you mean?” Joonmyun asks as he lays down, face-to-face with Yixing. He doesn't have to ask because he already knows the answer. However, he doesn't know much about Yixing's past relationships so he's a bit curious.

“My exes who made it past the Yifan talk never really lasted long. They said I was too high maintenance.” Yixing scoffs “It's not like I asked them to do anything. They said they felt obligated because I was sick and it would be rude not to. Apparently, they didn't like feeling that way all the time.” Yixing didn't ask to have cancer. He didn't ask for it to make his body so weak that he couldn't always do everything without help. He didn't ask not have a normal life because of stupid overactive cells. He didn't ask for any of this! Yixing holds tight to a unicorn plushie in his arms. “I broke up a lot because of that and it makes me angry that I’m blamed for being sick,” Yixing's voice cracks as hot tears come down his face.

Joonmyun moves closer and puts a hand on Yixing's face, wiping the tears away with his thumb. “It's not your fault. Xing, I don't feel obligated to help you because you're sick. I help you because I’m your boyfriend and that’s part of my responsibility.”

Yixing blinks and smiles weakly at the older boy “Thank you.”

Joonmyun kisses his nose “Stop it. You don't have to thank me.”

“Fine,” Yixing yawns and closes his eyes. “Then I’ll just tell you how mushy that was and I liked it.”

The older boy laughs “I’m glad.” He kisses Yixing's cheek “Good night Xing.”

“Night Shohu.”

What did he just call me? Joonmyun's isn’t sure because his Chinese isn't very good. He’ll have to wait until tomorrow for an answer because Yixing has already drifted off to sleep. Joonmyun takes Yixing's free hand and holds it as he closes his eyes. He drifts off imagining all the things Shohu could mean.


A//N: It's only been a week! This is a new record for me. I think it's because I'm really inspired with this fic so it's been relativel easy for me to write. Worry not, I'll be back to updating my other fics too...soon. Anyway, in case you don't know Shohu=Suho. Also I borrowed 'holy sunshine' from TimidLittleRabbit. She wrote a fic about Key being Jonghyun's sugar baby and it was really good. I liked the phrase and I borrowed it. I hope you like it as much as I do. I also hoped you enjoyed this chapter! Until next time, comment, subscribe, etc.

-씨에라