Chapter 29

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung found herself walking towards the playground where they met So Hyun again. She found it strange how she always gravitated towards this place when she felt down.

 

You asked for this, Sooyoung-ah. This was what you wanted. You wanted Sungjae-oppa to leave you, so that he wouldn't feel hurt when it’s time for you to go. You should be happy. Happy that he won’t have to suffer the way he would have if he had stayed with you. Why are you crying?

 

But despite her best efforts, she clutched Sungjae’s ring tightly in her fist and cried her heart out. After what seemed like an eternity, she suddenly felt someone’s arm around her and she gave a start of surprise.

 

“Eunji-unnie, what are you doing here?” asked Sooyoung with a tearstained face.

 

“I saw you walk past when I was in the convenience store. Why are you here alone crying your heart out, Sooyoung-ah? Did Sungjae bully you?” asked Eunji.

 

“Anni. I think I’m the one who bullied Sungjae-oppa,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Jinjja?” asked Eunji with a raised eyebrow. “What did you do?”

 

Sooyoung related everything that had just happened and Eunji listened and nodded. After Sooyoung finished, Eunji said, “I understand why you would want to do that, Sooyoung-ah. I can understand because my halmonni had similar intentions when she moved out here away from the rest of the family. She didn't want the rest of the family to see her waste away and fuss over her like an invalid. Don't worry, Sooyoung-ah. Everything will be all right. If it helps, I can help keep an eye on Sungjae for you since we’re in the same class.”

 

“Will you do that, unnie? Gomawo,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Don't thank me so quickly, Sooyoung-ah. What if I’m just trying to steal Sungjae away from you?” asked Eunji.

 

“What’s there to steal, unnie? He’s not mine. Not anymore. If you’re interested in him I’d rather you have him, unnie. At least I would have peace of mind that someone will be there for him if I don't make it,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Don't talk like that, Sooyoung-ah. I might not have known Sungjae for a very long time but from that short period that I knew you two, he is someone who is poor at expressing his feelings. He doesn't know how to make you understand his feelings. But I’m very certain his feelings for you are not a joke nor are they something that can be erased just because you forced him to break up with you. In fact, I think he will just become even more efficient at hiding his own feelings than he is now,” said Eunji.

 

Sooyoung raised her head in alarm and said, “Do you really think that’s the case, unnie? Ottoke? What can I do now?”

 

“There’s nothing you can or should do now except to focus on getting well. And to get well, you need to stop worrying. Any major emotional upheaval that you experience now could well trigger something life-threatening, Sooyoung-ah. If anything, I think this breakup would not do you any favours. I’ll speak to Eunkwang-oppa about this and get him to help keep an eye on Sungjae,” replied Eunji.

 

“Gomawo, unnie. Jinjja gomawo,” said Sooyoung gratefully.

 

“Arasso. Now, enough crying. You should head home and rest,” instructed Eunji.

 

Eunji sent Sooyoung home after getting Eunkwang’s number from Sooyoung.

 

“Yoboseyo? Eunji-imnida. Is this Eunkwang-sunbaenim?” asked Eunji.

 

 

Eunkwang and his gang made sure to pay close attention to Sungjae over the next few days. But rather than the down Sungjae they had expected to see, Sungjae did not appear much different from his usual self. He went about his classes and went out with the guys as per normal. Eunkwang had tried to talk to Sungjae about this issue privately but was reassured by Sungjae that he was fine. The only difference was that instead of having lunch with Sooyoung, he would have lunch with them instead. Sungjae also stopped walking Sooyoung to and from school. Indeed, if one did not know better, one would have thought that Sooyoung and Sungjae were complete strangers.

 

It was only a few days later that Sooyoung happened to walk past Sungjae along the corridor. While Sooyoung deliberated how she should respond as Sungjae neared her, Sungjae simply walked past her without giving any sign of recognition that she was next to him.

 

“Oppa…” called Sooyoung hesitantly.

 

To her disappointment, Sungjae did not respond or even slow his pace but continued walking down the hallway.

 

“Is Sungjae still not talking to you, Sooyoung-ah?” asked a voice behind her, making Sooyoung jump.

 

“Gamjagya! Oh, Hyunwoo-oppa, it’s you,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Is Sungjae still ignoring you, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Hyunwoo.

 

“Neh,” replied Sooyoung. “It’s my fault, oppa. I caused him to be like that.”

 

“I know. I heard about it from Eunji,” replied Hyunwoo. “But how are you holding up, Sooyoung-ah? By breaking up with Sungjae, you’ve torn down a huge pillar of support in your life. Are you still managing without him?”

 

“I’m trying, oppa. Like I told Eunji-unnie, I just don't want him to be burdened by me,” said Sooyoung.

 

“You’re just as stubborn as Sungjae. Did you know that, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Hyunwoo.

 

“Me? Stubborn? What do you mean?” asked Sooyoung a little indignantly.

 

“You’ve been insisting your own viewpoint the whole time when you initiated the breakup with Sungjae. Have you ever considered Sungjae’s viewpoint, Sooyoung-ah? Do you think he feels any less burdened now that you two are no longer a couple?” asked Hyunwoo. “I know you broke up with him because you love him. But have you ever thought if he’s hurting even more now? To add fuel to fire, he can’t even express that pain now because he needs to make sure that his hyungs don't worry about him. Eunkwang-hyung and Minhyuk-hyung approached me the other day to ask if I knew anything that could help them break through their maknae’s barrier. The looks of disappointment and worry on their faces were almost too much for me to bear. I know you’ve always had Sungjae’s welfare at heart. But do try to think about it from his point of view as well.”

 

Sooyoung listened to Hyunwoo’s words with an increasing sense of guilt. She finally couldn't bear it and broke down. She ran blindly to the stairs, towards the nearest female restroom on the next higher level, ignoring Hyunwoo’s shouts of concern behind her as she did so. Once she reached the restroom, she entered one of the cubicles and locked it, before sitting down and crying her heart out. It was a good ten minutes later before she finally unlocked her cubicle and walked towards the sink, her cries having quietened to sobs. Just as she was about to turn the tap to wash her face, a familiar tightness clamped down on her heart and her sobs deadened immediately, as she struggled to draw br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter