Final

All or Nothing

                                                

 

 

“Fany, look what I found! I saw this cute dress when I shopped earlier” a petite cute blonde hands a pink dress to the quiet redhead sitting on the couch. The called girl just scanned over the dress and smiled briefly at Taeyeon. She mumbled a soft ‘thanks’ before focusing back on the television. Taeyeon tried to hold back some tears that are threatening to fall from her eyes. She swallowed an invisible lump on before putting the dress back inside the paper bag and placing it beside the couch.

“Sorry I took long. Have you had your dinner?” she asked as she makes her way towards the kitchen. Tiffany made no answer and is still quiet. “Fany?” the quiet girl looks up to see the older girl holding two packs with beef and pork inside. “Which would you like?”

“I… I already had dinner”

“O-oh, with who? I thought Sica’s not-”

“Just an officemate”

“Okay” after still smiling at Tiffany, Taeyeon leaves for the kitchen again. She placed the meats of the counter and leans on it. She smiled bitterly seeing her reflection.

“You’re pathetic” she whispered.

“Tae?”

“Yeah?” she answered without looking back and facing Tiffany.

“I’m going ahead and sleep. Good night”

“Yeah, good night”

“Tae, I-”

“I’ll finish cleaning up first”

“Okay” when she heard the door closing, she turns around and looks at the couch. The paper bag with the dress was left and untouched beside the couch. “Why did you say yes?” she asked. “You should have just said no, because nothing’s even changed”


 

The two of them were just roommates turned best friends during their college days. They shared everything and knew everything about each other, and just like any cliché stories out there, one fell for the other. Taeyeon fell for Tiffany but decided to hold it in. Why? Because Tiffany was in love with someone else. She has a boyfriend whom Taeyeon will never beat. He was like a perfect guy. Tall, rich, handsome, smart almost every trait a girl looks for, he has it. They started dating when Tiffany and Taeyeon entered their second year, however the guy has one flaw, he’s a playboy and Tiffany found it out through the harshest way possible, finding him on top of a woman inside his dorm room during their fourth monthsary.

They broke up and the guy didn’t even seem like he care. But Tiffany loved him so much that it almost killed her. It’s been two years and they were on their last year when Taeyeon asked Tiffany to move in with her in the apartment she received. It was a graduation gift from her parents and it was too big for her, she said. But the truth is she didn’t want to leave Tiffany alone. She’s the only one the American girl was close to, her best friend. Tiffany agreed.

Three years into living together, Taeyeon mustered up the courage to confess and so they’ve been dating for a year, and today was supposed to be their anniversary, however as usual Tiffany was unresponsive. Every relationship should be give and take however for them it’s always been Taeyeon giving… and forgiving. Tiffany had some flings outside their relationship however Taeyeon still forgave her and looked the other way, always. Tiffany never said ‘I love you’ to her and never did she do any sweet things for her girlfriend but still Taeyeon forgave her, like always. But today, she’s finding it hard to do so anymore after finding Tiffany having lunch with the guy who broke her heart years ago, and she saw the smile she’s been missing since they got together. It hurts her, to no end.

 

 

“Pathetic…” she wipes the tears on her face. “How did you end up like this?” she slowly sat down on the floor, quietly sobbing. She takes out something from her pocket, a ring. “Happy Anniversary.”

 

 


 

“Hey, Tiff happy anniversary” Jessica greeted her friend with a hug as soon as she steps inside the studio. “Anniversary?” Tiffany asked taken aback. “Yeah? Yesterday was you and Taeyeon’s- Oh, please no” Jessica looked at her accusingly. “You…” Tiffany took out her phone to check the calendar. “Yesterday was the 27th?”

“Sigh… Tiff, let her go. Just let her go” Jessica said shaking her head as she leaves her friend.

“I honestly forgot. I didn’t mean to-”

“Like always. You didn’t mean to hurt her.” Jessica gabs the cup of coffee she has on her table. “I saw you yesterday. You were with that jerk again”

“It was just lunch”

“Lunch, yeah right. I saw you two again having dinner” Tiffany bit her lip as Jessica said that. “You didn’t eat dinner with Taeyeon, right?” when Tiffany didn’t answer Jessica already knew. “I thought you love her but I thought wrong. I supported you guys. I even helped when her parents abandoned her because of you. She gave up everything for you. When she was thrown out of their company when her Dad found out she still stayed with you. When no one wanted to take her in because of her Mom’s influence she even accepted a job at a convenience store to support you! A CEO accepted being a cashier at a convenience store for you! When she was fighting her way to get back up again you weren’t there! When you were so down when he left you, she was there! She even went to your classes just so she can explain everything o you because you were so out of it! She did all that while doing her studies and company work.” Tiffany was still silent despite everything Jessica said. “This fashion line of ours won’t exist without her. This was her freaking monthsary gift to you, compare it to what your jerky ex did.” Jessica sighed. “I hope you know what you’re doing because I don’t”

“You have the best and you’re letting it go for the worst. At first I understood you because you’re both girls you might be finding it hard to cope with everything but now that I look at it. It’s a stupid excuse. Of all people you chose to play your best friend’s heart.”

 

 

 

“Hey, Tae” Tiffany called Taeyeon whose focus was on her food. “Yeah?” Taeyeon answered without looking up. “About yesterday, I-”

“It doesn’t matter”

“But Tae, it was our anniversary and I-”

Tiffany’s words were cut when Taeyeon looked up to meet her eye to eye. “It doesn’t matter” and then back to eating. Tiffany felt something off. She suddenly felt something she never felt whenever she was with Taeyeon, rejection, pain? She doesn’t know. “Would you like to go out tomorrow? It’s my day off and-”

“I’ll be out all week. I’m flying to Japan.”

“O-oh, how come you never told me? You always tell me at least a week before you leave.”

“I was planning to but you were busy. You didn’t answer your phone and you’re already sleeping when I come home then gone the next morning.”

“Oh, I must have been busy”

“I asked Jessica to tell you and she said she did.”

“I… I may not have heard her”

“…”

“Sorry, I was a bit preoccupied these past few weeks.”

“It’s okay”

“Hey, what if I go with you? I can finally use my vacation days and maybe we can spend some time if you’re not busy”

Taeyeon smiled at her bitterly. “You said you’re busy”

“When did I say that?”

“I asked you. I asked you a week ago if you’ll be free to go to Japan because we need a designer for the meeting there. You said you will be busy and rejected my offer. I was not supposed to go but since you’ll be busy I didn’t want to disturb you here so I volunteered myself and Jessica already accepted my offer in your place”

“Oh so Jessi’s going”

“Yeah”

“Mmm, would you like me to pack your things then?” Taeyeon placed her spoon down. “No need.” She stands up and places her plate to the counter. “I know how busy you are.” Taeyeon said then left. Tiffany looks at the empty seat in front of her. Taeyeon never left her alone on the dinner table before, it was always her who leaves first.

 

 

“Hey, uh Jess is Taeyeon with you? She’s not answering her phone”

“Yes, the idiot is here.” ‘Yah Kim Taengoo! Tiff’s on the other line!’

‘I’ll call her back later. I’m making our dinner’

“She’ll call you back”

“Oh, okay.”

“Is everything alright, Tiff?”

“Yeah, everything’s fine”

“Okay”

‘Sica! Let’s eat!’

“Gotta go Tiff. Your girl’s kinda grumpy”

‘Yah! How dare you call me grumpy!’

‘You are!’

‘Am not!’

‘Yeah, yeah whatever’

“Bye Tiff”

“Umm… Bye”

 


 

 

 

“What is this?”

“I cooked for you” Taeyeon looks so surprised seeing the variety of foods on the table. Tiffany really did surprise her today. As soon as she stepped foot on Korea she had to go back to the company to handle some papers. Since the company she built six months ago is just starting she had to personally handle everything and she practically has no rest.

After about two hours of meeting she was faced with a smiling Tiffany when she got out of the conference room. They had lunch together and even talked like the old days, with laughing and such. Tiffany drove her back to her office and left her with a kiss and “I’ll see you at home”

Tiffany sent her sweet messages throughout the day and it kept the smile on Taeyeon’s face. And now that she got home she was met with her girlfriend’s home cooked meal surprise.

“Is it good?”

“It’s the best. But why?”

“What do you mean?”

“Today, why did you do all these?”

“Because I wanna make it up to you and show you how much I… like you” It was not what Taeyeon hoped to hear but with Tiffany she’ll take everything she can get.

“Thank you”

Tiffany did continue to change, it’s only been days but for Taeyeon it felt like a month of complete happiness.

 

“I think I’m ready” Taeyeon said eyeing the ring on her palm. “I hope I wont scare her. I mean, this is just a couple ring but why do I feel like I’m proposing to her?” Taeyeon asked with a giggle. “I think it’s time. You’re been in a relationship for a year now I don’t think a couple ring will hurt.”

“Thank you, Sica”

“Hey, I’m just doing my best friend’s job. I’ll let Tiffany off early”

“Thanks”

 


 

 

 

At the restaurant where Taeyeon asked Tiffany to be her girlfriend, Taeyeon can be seen fidgeting on her seat. “Just five more minutes and she’ll be here” she whispered. “Just five more minutes”

 

“Sigh, why did you break down now? And my freaking phone” Tiffany’s sitting on the sidewalk and trying to open her phone. Bad luck hit her that day.

“Tiffany?”

“O-Oppa” Tiffany immediately stands up seeing the guy she loved standing in front of her. “What are you doing there?”

“My car broke down”

“Come on then, I’ll give you a ride”

“No, it’s okay Oppa”

“Come on, Tiff. It’ll get dark soon” Since Tiffany has no choice she joined him in his car. “Are you going somewhere, Oppa?”

“I was gonna fetch my Mom from the hospital”

“Oh, go there first then”

“What about you?”

“It’s okay. It’s not that important”

“Are you sure? You look like someone going on a date.”

“N-no, Umm just a friend”

“Okay then, let’s go”

 

 

 

It’s been three hours and still no sign of Tiffany but still Taeyeon’s on their usual seat, staring at the door waiting while holding on to the ring.

 

 

 

“Haha! Hey, Tiff tell Mom about that funny story!”

“Oh right so-” Tiffany is with the mother and son duo having dinner with them while sharing stories.

 

 

 

It’s been five hours and still no sign of her girlfriend. She tried to call the girl but she cannot be reached. She called Jessica and the latter told her that Tiffany already left hours ago. Their studio is even closed now and the restaurant is about to do the same. Taeyeon has no choice but to wait outside. She was forced to wait and sit on the sidewalk beside her car on the chilly midnight. She keeps on looking back on forth, left and right… waiting.

After another hour, her almost dying phone beeped.

 

From: Fany

          Taetae, I just got home. Where are you? Sorry I forgot about our dinner. I met someone along the way and ate with them. Will make it up to you next time.

 

Taeyeon just blankly stare at her phone, she knows… she knows who Tiffany was with, how? After waiting for five hours she decided to go home and maybe just make dinner for them. Late dinner that is thinking that maybe Tiffany got caught up on traffic or something… for five hours. When she got in front of the apartment complex, there she saw the woman she was waiting for getting off that guy’s car and hugging him and an old lady beside him all smiles and even laughed. She wanted to go to her but felt empty and tired. She waited inside her car staring at empty space until Tiffany texted her an hour later. An hour later after she got home. She smiled bitterly then slowly tears started to fall and she sobbed hard like she never did.

 

She never went home that night, and the ring she was supposed to give to Tiffany? She honestly don’t know, she lost it on the road when she was driving aimlessly. She just opened her car’s window and let go of the ring, she let go of it… she let go.

 

 

Tiffany was calling Taeyeon’s number for an hour now, and still no answer.

She was surprised when Jessica came running to her, asking what the hell happened. “You were supposed to have dinner with Taeyeon but she called me around 11 pm asking where were you”

“I kinda forgot”

“Tiffany Hwang! Seriously! Are you that heartless?!”

“What’s wrong? It’s just dinner”

“She… Tiffany, she wanted to surprise you. Remember that ring we saw the other month? The limited edition design? Taeyeon bought it and wanted to give it to you last night as a couple ring. Where were you?”

“I… I was”

“You were with him?”

“…” Jessica just sighed. “I’ve helped you enough” Her friend just left her alone, feeling regretful of what she’s done.

 

 

It’s been a month and still no sign of Taeyeon, even Jessica can’t help her. The employees at Taeyeon’s company also knew nothing. Taeyeon’s been contacting them through mail from another place even meetings were done on video calls. No one knew where she went.

 

 

After two months of not seeing Taeyeon, Tiffany’s officially a mess. She missed her, so so much. She knows the older girl still look after her, all the bills were still paid on time she receives food delivery every now and then but suddenly it stopped and a knock on her door came with it. A letter was given to her with Taeyeon’s name as the sender but no address written.

 

Tiffany,

          I’m sorry for suddenly missing like that. I want to say goodbye but I at it so here’s a letter as a replacement. It hurt so much, Fany. I’ve loved you since the day I first saw you and I wanted to tell you how I feel but how can I do that when you already got Mr. Perfect? I pathetically hid everything to protect our friendship. I feel disgusted when I actually felt glad when you broke up. I hated him and felt thankful for him at the same time for what he did because I finally I had the chance. It took years but finally I had the chance! But I guess I was wrong. Though you were with me you were yearning for him, you still loved him.

          I always wanted to know why you said yes? You didn’t love me nor did you liked me that way so why?  If you wanted to save me from being heartbroken, it was a mission failed. I’m not blaming you. I brought this upon myself. That one year I was with you was happiest of my life. Actually all the years I was with you will forever be the happiest days of my life. You are the happiest memory of m life. I want to thank you for everything.  I want to apologize for being selfish that day when I asked you to be my girlfriend. I never should have done that. I thought you’re over him but I thought wrong. I will never hold a grudge against you so please feel free to be with him again. Please be happy. I love you and I will miss you.

                                                                                      Taeyeon

 

 

 

 

She never heard from Taeyeon again.

 


 

It’s been five years and many things have changed. Jessica left for US six months after. They expanded to the west and Jessica seemed like the perfect fit for that part of the world. They still talk but it happens around one time per half a year and the talks consisted mostly of pure business, Tiffany thinks Jessica hated her for what happened with her relationship with Taeyeon. After all, Jessica and Taeyeon met first and were the original best friends before she came into picture.

She met up with the guy and tried it again but hey broke it off 4 months after, he still never changed and she… she missed Taeyeon. He was not Taeyeon.

The company Taeyeon built grew and prosper but still no sign of its owner.  While everything’s changing she stayed the same. Tiffany never left, hoping for her return but it’s been five years and still none.

 

 

She was walking on the park just strolling when a she saw a familiar back.

“Taeyeon” the person turns around and indeed it was her, it was Taeyeon.

“Tiffany” Taeyeon greeted her with a smile. “How have you been?” Taeyeon asked. “F-fine” Taeyeon looks different, her hair is a darker shade of brown, her skin got whiter and she look far more healthy than when they were together. While Tiffany, she’s still the same.

“You’re back, where have you been?”

“US”

“Oh”

“So, are you with-”

“Umma!!” a little girl runs towards Taeyeon and hugs her leg. “My princess” Taeyeon cooed as she kissed the kid’s cheek.

Tiffany was surprised staring at them. ‘Umma?’ she thought. ‘Taeyeon has a child?’

Taeyeon looks up at her with an apologetic face. “Did she surprise you? Sorry, she’s a naughty little kid that way.” She carries the child who immediately whined after being brought up. “Umma! I’m too big to be carried like this!”

“When did you grow up, Soojung-ah?”

“Umma”

“Okay, okay Umma will put you down now”

“Is she your child?” Tiffany nervously asked. “Yes!” the kid answered. “She’s my Umma!” she said proudly. “O-oh”

“Yes, she’s my daughter.”

“Then who is her-”

“Jung Soojung!”

“Mom!” Soojung runs away from the two adults and runs to the approaching blonde woman. “Jessica…” Tiffany whispered, she suddenly felt betrayed.

“Tiffany” Jessica looks back and forth between Taeyeon and Tiffany. Taeyeon walks up to her and gives her a hug and whispered something. They looked each other in the eyes trying to communicate. Jessica nods her head and holds Soojung’s hand. “Let’s wait for Umma in the ice cream shop”

“Okay!”

“Tiff” Jessica tried to call out but Tiffany didn’t even respond. “I’ll see you later” she told the two.

When Jessica and Soojung were gone, Taeyeon approaches Tiffany. “You married her” her movement were stopped by Tiffany’s words.

“I…”

“No need to tell me more. I’ve seen enough. That’s why she haven’t been talking to me, you were together.”

“I asked her to keep it a secret.” Tiffany looks her up in the eye. “I’m too late” she said tears threatening to fall. “Since when?”

“I don’t know”

“What do you mean you don’t know?!”

“I guess it all started in Japan”

“Japan? You mean that week you left?”

“Yes. I had strange feelings for her since then but I held it in because there was you, there was us. I loved you Fany. My love for you was far more greater than any weird feelings I had inside. But you hurt me. You hurt me so much. So I figured, instead of holding on to something which hurts us both why not just let go and let us find the chance to be happy? The pain I had inside me surpassed the love I felt so I let you go.” They’re both crying at this point. “I met Sica a year later in US. She tried to fix us back but then things turned the other way, I fell for her Fany-ah” Taeyeon looked at Tiffany. “I tried to stop but each day without you by my side I fell for her. The pain they were all replaced by her. We dated a year later. Then one day she proposed to me. I cannot say yes then. I apologized and left her, I cannot say yes yet why? Because of you. I went back to talk to you because I missed you, you were still my best friend and I… I still love you” Taeyeon wiped the tears away but still it won’t stop and Tiffany’s not different. “But I saw you with him. You both looked so happy and I don’t have the heart to ruin your happiness anymore. Jessica knew where I was and why I did that. She knew I still loved you but she still accepted me Tiffany. I was almost cheating at her but she forgave me. And that’s when I realized that she was the one.” Taeyeon takes a deep breath and tries to hold back more of her tears when she saw the mess Tiffany was in. “We met Soojung when we visited an orphanage. We both fell for that little rascal” she smiled. “I... She became Sica’s daughter. She’s under Jessica’s name and soon she will be mine too.” Tiffany looks at the approaching Taeyeon. “I was hoping to find you here actually. Though I’m surprised.” She takes out an envelope from her bag. “We’re getting married here” More tears fell from Tiffany’s eyes. She’s literally crying her heart out. “Please be there” Taeyeon whispered with a hug. “For me”

“You’ll kill me”

“I need you there”

“I can’t”

“This is the only way I can properly let go of you. And you of me”

“What if I don’t want to let go?” Tiffany asked tightly gripping on Taeyeon’s shirt. “You have to. You have to start again, Fany-ah”

“I want to start over with you”

“I’ll be with you. I’ll be with you every step of the way but I can’t stay with you”

“I need you”

“They need me too. And I need them. Please, Fany-ah. This is the last thing I’ll ask of you” they look at each other’s eyes. Painful tears falling from their eyes. “I love them. And you know how much  I love you. I want to be fair to the both of you.”

“Taeyeon-ah… Taeyeon-ah…” Taeyeon kissed her forehead. “I gotta go, my family’s waiting for me.” Taeyeon immediately lets go and leave without looking back. Tiffany looks down on the invitation at her hand.

 

“Forever, Together, Kim Taeyeon and Jessica Jung”

 

“Why did you say yes?”

“Because I love her”

“Then why do you treat her this way?”

“Because I’m afraid to love her”