Dance (Chanwoo/Junhwe)

IKON One-Shots

 

 

 

 


Chanwoo hates their dance practices, absolutely detests them to the point where he’d rather spend a whole day knitting some ugly sweater for a cat or something. Every time he enters that damn practice room he immediately wants to run as far as way as possible, but it isn’t because he hates dancing. No, he likes dancing; alone.

 

But practicing alongside s who have had a few more years to practice than him makes him feel insecure, not to the point where he goes home and cries about it, but to the point where he feels uncomfortable in their practice room and like the black sheep of the family. He’s not necessarily a bad dancer, just not as good as Jinhwan, or Junhwe, or Donghyuk, or Hanbin, or anyone for that matter.

 

Sure he compares himself to them in other situations as well, recording songs is always embarrassing because of the little amount of lines he gets and how many times he messes up, fitting for their clothes is also uncomfortable with all the abs around him making his stomach look even rounder. But he doesn’t let it bring him down, he continues to dance even though he feels severely out of place and doesn’t utter a word when he sees the frown on the cordi noona as she measures his waist, he doesn’t beg or complain about his lines or mention how unfair it is, because sometimes that’s life. And sometimes you just have to live with it.

 

Junhwe on the other hand, does not agree.

 

He puts on a brave face and dances with passion, sings with devotion, and works out with dedication for his body, for his image, and for his self-esteem. He mentions it when the lines in a song seem a little jumbled, points it out when one of them hasn’t been center during the whole dance and tells the stylists that it doesn’t matter that he’s a size larger as long as he’s not obese to the point where his stomach touches the floor while standing.

 

So when he sees Chanwoo look away as the stylist measures his waist, or sees him looking at the lyrics for a song with sadness he gets mad, mad to the point where he wants to shake the younger out of whatever thoughts he’s thinking and slap some sense into him. But they aren’t close and Junhwe’s bad at making the first move, so he says nothing; that lasts only for a while.

 

It’s past midnight when Hanbin claps his hand and nods, pleased with their progress with the choreography and deems the day over, they’re all sprawled all over the floor in various positions clunking down water and dreaming of a nice vacation after hours of practice. Jinhwan’s leaning on Jiwon for support while pouring the last of the contents in his water bottle, missing his mouth by only a few centimeters.

 

“Come on guys, let’s go,” Hanbin mumbles through a yawn and plugs his phone out of the speakers tiredly, “I feel like I can sleep for years,” Jiwon snorts and drags a hand through his sweaty fringe, he grabs Jinhwan by the han ignoring the elder’s look of disdain at the sweaty palm and pulls him up on his feet.

 

The only one not packing up is Chanwoo, their dear maknae who’s been quiet for the whole night, their maknae who looks equally tired and sweaty as the rest of them. “Chanwoo, pack your stuff,” Yunhyeong mumbles and punches his shoulder lightly but Chanwoo shakes his head with a small smile, “I was thinking of staying for a bit, if you don’t mind,” Yunhyeong frowns at him clearly displeased by the younger’s request and perhaps a bit stunned at the question, if the bags under the boy’s eyes are anything to trust he’s just as tired as the rest of the lot.

 

“Chanwoo we have the whole day tomorrow why don’t you just-”

 

“I’ll stay with him,” Junhwe speaks up and puts down his bag,  he sees Chanwoo frown in disappointment when he speaks up, “really hyung, you don’t have to,” he says and to the others it might just sound like like their nice maknae thinking about his hyung’s sleep but Junhwe can hear the underlying plead for him to just leave. Which is why he shakes his head and goes to plug in his phone, “nah, I want to practice some too,” he says and Chanwoo sighs in defeat.

 

The others pack up and only minutes later they’re out the door with a “don’t stay too late,” called over their shoulder, as soon as they’re gone Junhwe turns to Chanwoo who hasn’t moved from his spot, “so, what’s wrong with you?” he says and oh god is that the best he can come up with, it sounds mean and awkward and not at all the emotion he wants to convey.

“I’m sorry?” Chanwoo questions and Junhwe drags a hand through his sweaty hair that is starting to dry in a disgusting mess, “I mean, why do you look so messed up?” Chanwoo only frowns and Junhwe thinks he might even look a bit sad, this is not going as planned.

 

“Okay, listen, I’m messing this whole thing up but just listen, you seem...sad? And I don’t know why and it’s annoying to not know so, tell me,” there, that’s better, not by much but it’s a little better. This time Chanwoo seems to get it and he sighs and runs a hand over his face, “is this because you’re curious or because you care?” he finally says and Junhwe frowns, Of course he cares but he is also very curious, but which is the right answer?

 

“Both?” he thinks he’s made the wrong decision and Chanwoo slids down to the floor and hugs his knees, Junhwe’s about to call Yunhyeong in case the boy starts to cry on him but he’s pleasantly surprised when the younger starts speaking steadily.

 

“I don’t like dancing with you,” he says and Junhwe’s caught of guard, “you don’t like dancing with...me? Why?” he asks in aggravation but Chanwoo only shakes his head, “I don’t like dancing with iKon,” he says and Junhwe’s never been more confused in his life. He doesn't like dancing with them? So what? Is that something to be sad over? And why doesn’t he like to dance with them in the first place?

 

“Why,” he says and Chanwoo whines quietly, “do I really have to explain? It’s embarrassing,” he mumbles but Junhwe only shrugs his shoulders, he’s not gonna let this subject go easily and Chanwoo knows that, so he sighs and nods before he starts talking.

 

“I don’t like dancing with you all because...well because you’re all better than me. I’m jealous, insecure, and it makes me mad. I’m mad because no matter what I do I can’t compare, sure I don’t get to sing a lot but at least I know I can, dance is different. I at it,” Junhwe stares at the boy for a moment to take in his stupidity before he speaks up, “that’s stupid,” he says and maybe that isn’t the best thing to say to the maknae on the floor but what’s said is said and Chanwoo only nods, “yeah, it is.”

 

“It’s stupid because, first of-it’s not true, and second- if you want to get better then practicing at 4 in the morning isn’t going to help, you’ll just be tired and sloppy and it won’t help,” he says and crosses his arms, Chanwoo looks up at him and he’s expecting some snappy comment about how easy it is for him to say that or how that’s of no help, but what he doesn’t expect is a teary eyed maknae looking up at him.

 

“Oh my god, don’t cry,” he rushes out in alarm and Chanwoo chuckles. “I’m not gonna cry you , I’m just surprised, I thought you’d laugh at me, “ he says and despite the comment Junhwe realizes that maybe he didn’t really give off the best impression in Mix & Match when he talked trash behind the younger boy’s back and never actually apologized.

 

So he does what only a true idiot would do in the situation and reaches a hand out for Chanwoo to take, “dance with me?” he asks quietly and Chanwoo stares up at him, his eyes no longer filled with tears to Junhwe’s relief.

 

“What,” Chanwoo asks and Junhwe literally growls in annoyance and grabs the younger’s hand and yank him to his feet, “I said dance with me,” he mutters and Chanwoo smiles, “I thought you said I wouldn’t get better by practicing late at night whilst tired?”

 

“Then let’s not dance anything that will tire us out,” Junhwe mumbles and before Chanwoo knows it Junhwe’s pulling him close to him and placing his hands on his waist in an embrace, Chanwoo’s at loss of words as Junhwe starts to sway to nothing but the sounds of their breaths.


“This is weird,” Chanwoo mumbles into the crook of Junhwe’s neck and Junhwe’s huffs a breath, “yeah,” but he doesn’t say anything else, and so Chanwoo drapes his hands over Junhwe’s shoulders, “thank you,” he says and Junhwe snorts unattractively as they sway in the middle of the practice room, “shut up,” he says but Chanwoo hears no malice behind his words and only hugs the elder tighter, “okay, hyung.”

 

 


Sorry for any mistakes this has not been proofread!!

Hope you enjoyed *^*

 

Here, have some cute Junhwe <3