Not So Lonely

Not his, but now Theirs

 



 

Jongdae's sitted on the couch of his living room with a blanket drapped over his lap. He sighs, trying to keep himself warm and eyes focusing on the burning warmth of the fireplace. He has hot chocolate squished in between his small hands, he takes a sip and relishes the sweet flavour. Jongdae loves Christmas, loves how everything turns white with the snow, loves how the spirits of pure joy and giving are around, loves the beautiful flakes dropping down from the heavens above. Though, there is one thing he hates about the festive season, he's always alone.

It wasn't like that from the start, when he was a young boy, filled with only innocence, his parents would celebrate Christmas with him together. All the present openings and givings, all the chocolate-melty baked cookies and hot cocoa, but ever since Jongdae's grown, he's never really spend his Christmas days with his family. It's not that he dislikes it or anything, sometimes Jongdae just wants a change of company, he does wishes and send cards and gifts to his parents though.

Jongdae's friends are great, they were the best people he could ever ask for. But he'd rather not see them faces on his couch. Baekhyun and Chanyeol, or dumb and dumber as Jongdae would like to call, the both of them were a couple together, for a  time of 3 years. They do invite Jongdae over, to celebrate, Jongdae would've felt like a third wheel if he had gone.

There was also Kyungsoo, but he'd probably be busy with Jongin, his boyfriend.

So this year, Jongdae stayed in the confines of his big but lonely apartment.

 

 

"Jongdae, this is a very serious matter."

"No it isn't, now stop bothering me." Jongdae huffs out, sipping his coffee.

Jongdae decides to meet up with Baekhyun, annoyed by the latter's non-stop messaging. He'd never thought Baekhyun would pester him this early in the morning, but Jongdae should've known, it was Byun Baekhyun after all, the annoying puppy, once he had woken Jongdae up at 3am just to sob about how Chanyeol got his this super expensive bracelet for his birthday and how Jongdae would never waste money on something that valueble for his best friend. Jongdae smiles at the memory as he looks out at the snow covered streets, and all the couples with linking arms passing by, Jongdae wishes he had someone to hold hands with like that, someone to keep him warm.

"Hello, earth to Dae," Baekhyun grumbles, leaning slightly over the table to snap his elegant fingers in Jongdae's face.

"What is it now?" A groan leaves Jongdae's lips, he just wants to enjoy his cookies and muffins.

"I just want to see you happy, y'know?" Baekhyun frowns, brows creasing together in concern.

"Happy? I already am," Jongdae tilts his head to the side, confusion written all over his face. He was happy, just a little lonely, but nothing he can't handle, he's never been in a relationship before but that doesn't really matter. Jongdae just hasn't met any man that suits his taste.

"You need a man, a boyfriend," Baekhyun says, bitting his lips, "you need someone to spend Christmas with, you can't always be alone."

"I can always crash your makeout sessions with Chanyeol though, it's fun! I don't need a man."

"Just yet," Baekhyun smiles softly. He stands up and walks over to Jongdae's side of the table, he places his hand ontop of the younger's head, ruffling his hair. "Jongdae-ah, I know you need someone secretly, I've always been there for you, you know that right?"

"I know Baek," Jongdae nods.

"I'll always be there for you Jongdae, with you, but I'll never be that someone who fills that lonely hole in your heart. Somebody else has that job in his hands, not me."

Baekhyun flashes Jongdae a small grin, "I'll see you around, Chanyeol's waiting for me at home. Hopefully you'll have someone waiting for you too, soon." And he leaves through the cafe's glass doors, not letting Jongdae speak or even say goodbye.

Jongdae sighs, Baekhyun's right, but then he just can't go out there and find someone that easily.

He would like someone considerate, true and honest and loving. Not someone who just uses Jongdae for his own pleasure and desires.

Jongdae just can't find the right man, just not yet.

 

 

Jongdae walks around and down the street, admiring the creative decorations. He has no idea what's gotten into his head, he just feels the need to venture out, usually he would head straight back home, and bury his face with pillows.

Jongdae just feels something pulling him to the small bookshop, it wasn't really that big just small and packed with many books. He comes here all the time, when he needs a book for research or just to get lost in a world of wonders and fantasy. But recently he hasn't been here, but now that he is, Jongdae notices the Christmas lights and ornaments. The cozy bookshop had a new series of books, just for the special winter edition. Curious, Jongdae decides to check it out.

"Jongdae, darling! Merry Christmas, how are you?" The old lady behind the counter greets him with a warm smile.

"Merry Christmas, Mrs Raine." Jongdae smiles, "I'm doing just fine, here to check out the winter edition books."

"Oh I see, they're quite good this year, enjoy reading Jongdae-ah."

"Will do, thank you!"

With that, Jongdae walks over to the corner, bending down slightly to check them out. He's about to reach for one but while doing so, another person's hand touched his.

Flinching, Jongdae looks up with wide eyes, only to see a man with cat-like eyes, a baby face with squishy cheeks, and a height no taller than himself.

"Oh I'm sorry," the man spoke and Jongdae swears he could melt right there, "are you taking that?"

"U-uh..." Jongdae stutters, too stunned to say anything.

"Are you okay?" The man asks, his voice rich and velvety.

Jongdae nods, he feels his cheeks and ears start to warm up. "No, I'm just c-checking them out, I'll just pick another one."

The man smiles, "it's okay, I'm just checking them too, we can do it together."

"W-what?" Jongdae splutters, a blush on his cheeks as the man opens the book and rests his chin on Jongdae's shoulder from behind.

"Are you a fast reader?" He asks, hot breath fanning agaisnt Jongdae's red ears.

He chuckles, seeing the shy nod from the other.

The man was considerate, giving out comments once awhile about the plot of the book's story, asking for Jongdae's opinion as well. Even at some point, they would discuss about the outcome of the situation, a happy ending or just a whole load of drama for the characters.

"I don't think he should've said that, what do you think?"

"Yeah, not really the smartest choice." Jongdae agrees, by now he's slowly starting to relax against the stranger's warm body and embrace.

They continue like that, and as every minute passes, Jongdae grows more curious about the man, and not so focusing on the book anymore.

Then the man suddenly feels a vibration coming from his pocket, "oh, I have to go now. It was nice reading with you..."

"J-jongdae. Kim Jongdae."

"I'm Kim Minseok, I had a great time Jongdae-ssi, I'll see you around." Minseok flashes him a lopsided grin, before bidding him goodbye and walking out of the store.

As Minseok leaves, Jongdae feels all warm and giddy in the inside, he can't stop smiling. Is this what falling in love feels like? No Jongdae, you don't even know if he's gay! But then again, he was kinda forward, it isn't everyday straight guys backhug other guys, especially a stranger.

Bitting his lips, he pulls his scarf tighter around his neck. "This doesn't smell like my scarf," Jongdae notes, taking it off and examining it. "It's not mine--wait, it's Minseok's!" He exclaims, seeing the said man wearing this when they first talked.

"Where's mine then? D-did he take it?" Jongdae tries to remember, was his white scarf wrapped around the other's neck when he left?

A blush crept on to his cheeks at that realization, "that sneaky bastard," Jongdae tsked but there was no real bite behind the words, instead a shy smile on his lips.


Jongdae wonders if it was fate, his sudden urge visit to the bookshop.

 

 

Minseok enters a coffee shop, wrapped in his coat and his scarf, "not my scarf, Jongdae's," he chuckles.

He had no idea how the other didn't notice him slowly taking off his scarf to only replace it with his own. Either Jongdae was too immersed in the book or his thoughts were all over the place.

"Ah Minseok, the usual I suppose?" The barista behind the counter greets him. Joonmyun, his long time friend since highschool.

"Yeah."

"You seem happy today," Joonmyun hums, preparing his friend's coffee, "care to share?"

"Oh it's nothing much, really."

"Really? Did my lonely hamster finally find someone to spend Christmas with?"

"Yah, I'm older than you! Respect your elders," Minseok huffs and pouts.

"You sure don't act like you are, anyways so did you?" Joonmyun hands Minseok his coffee, wiggling his eyebrows.

"T-that's none of your business," The older blushes slightly, glaring at the other. Joonmyun just smiles, not saying anything. It's always been that way, Joonmyun likes to pressure his friends, especially Minseok, to tell him what's wrong or what's going on and such. Sometimes Minseok likes to think of Joonmyun as mom, really.

"Okay fine! I did meet someone."

"I knew it, so who's the lucky person?"

"A guy called Jongdae, I met him at the bookshop. I kinda straight went for the deal and f-flirted with him."

"Wait, get a table, my break's soon." Joonmyun orders, "tell me everything."

 

 

"WHAT? I can't believe you did that Minseok!" The younger of the two shrieks, impressed.

"Keep your voice down!" Minseok whispers harshly.

"My best friend, going up to some stranger, backhugging him and stealing his scarf, you don't know if he's a murderer!" Joonmyun deadpans, brows creasing together.

"Stop overreacting, Jongdae isn't that awful. Considering he has such beautiful eyes, such long lashes, cute eyebrows, adorable lips, and the way he blushes---"

"Okay, okay, I've heard enough," Joonmyun smiles and stands up, "I've work to do now, I'm happy for you Minseok, I'm sure you'll get him." He encourages.

"Thanks, I hope so too."

And Minseok watches Joonmyun walk away.

He wonders if Jongdae would walk out of his life like that after rejecting his confession.  

"No," he shakes his head, "no more negativity Minseok, you can do this."


 

Jongdae visits the bookshop three days after meeting Minseok, hoping he was there. He couldn't stop thinking about the mysterious yet sneaky man, he wanted to know more about him. Greeting Mrs Raine, Jongdae proceeds to stroll around, he didn't want to seem too desperate.

He takes a random book, flipping through the pages before putting it back neatly and gently.

"Not interesting?" A voice asks, startling the younger.

"O-oh no, I just don't feel like reading that."

"Then what do you feel like reading?" Minseok walks next to Jongdae, smiling at him.

"I'd read a book about you," Jongdae grins.

Startled, Minseok chuckles, "oh I'm sure not that interesting." Minseok sees the other pout, "okay, I'm 23. I like to read, play soccer and workout as my hobby, I'm single and I prefer men over women."

Jongdae gasps, "you're older than me! How is that possible?"

"Well, baby faces run in my family."

"Unfair," Jongdae sulks.

"Enough about me, how about you?" Minseok pats the other's head, smoothing his hair.

"I'm 21, just two years younger! A-and I like to sing and read, I'm not that interesting either." Jongdae blushes, "I am... also single and I prefer men too." He mumbles the last part.

"Aww, you're so cute. There's nothing to be embarrassed about." Minseok says, pulling Jongdae closer.

"Well, it's embarrassing having no one to spend Christmas with!"

"Parents?"

"I need a change of company."

"Friends?" Minseok prods, "atleast you have some... right?"

"Of course I have friends!" Jongdae giggles, "but they're too busy doing couple stuff."

"Ah, I see... so really no one to spend Christmas with?" The older smiles, bumping his shoulder lightly agaisnt the other's.

"Nope," Jongdae looks up at the other smiling, already feeling comfortable against him, "unless... I go find some hot guy." He smirks.

"Am I not hot enough for you?" Minseok asks, faking a hurt expression.

"You're hot, but you're not asking."

"Well then, Jongdae, will you spend Christmas with me?"

"As your friend?" The younger asks, though he already knows the answer.

"As my soon-to-be-boyfriend." Minseok grins, kissing his cheek.

"H-hey, I didn't answer you yet," The younger says, ears turning red. His heart was beating so fast, so wildly, this hasn't happened before. No, Jongdae has never felt this, never, he's afraid. But, this might be something nice, he feels connected to Minseok in a way, he wants the older to hug him more, touch him more and maybe, kiss him more.

"So will you?" He gives Jongdae a comforting smile, "or do you need more time?"

Jongdae bites his lips, "okay, I'll give you a chance."

"Thank you, you won't regret this." Minseok says, staring straight into Jongdae's eyes with such sincerity that the other almost melts into his arms, "we'll take it slow, don't worry."

 

'I don't think I have to worry, maybe this isn't so bad after all.' Jongdae thinks, and looks forward to Minseok courting him.

 



 

That's it for the first chapter, the second one should be up soon! And in there, we'll get brief moments of Kaisoo and Baekyeol~ I hope you guys enjoyed this one and I do apologize if it seems like their relationship was progressing too fast, I'm not that creative with ideas ;-;!

~ Daeminlyne