Ghost of the Past

Reaching for the Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Their flight to Tokyo was nothing short of awkward. First, Yongsun mistakenly took a sip of Moonbyul’s mango juice and almost spat it out in horror.  While Moonbyul laughed it off, a very flustered Yongsun insisted that she bought a new drink for her - which she turned out didn’t have enough cash for. Halfway through the journey, they both stood up simultaneously to visit the washroom and ended up engaging in a 5-minute long Asian polite fight as to who should go first, much to the other passengers’ dismay. In the end, Moonbyul gave in because she was seated next to the aisle, thus closer to the washroom.

By the time they land in Tokyo, both start to wonder if they could survive this trip with each other.

“Our ride should be here any second.” Moonbyul tells Yongsun as she sends a quick text to Soojung to tell her that she’s landed safely.

“She’ll be worried, huh?” Yongsun says, causing Moonbyul to look up from her phone.

“Sorry?”

“You’ve been fussing about your phone service since we landed. Our schedule is free today, so I’m assuming the person you’re trying to reach is Soojung.” Yongsun says with a polite smile.

“Well, yeah, we try to keep each other in the loop whenever we can.” Moonbyul explains. “And yes, you’re right. She gets worried sometimes. It’s silly but it’s how she cares.”

“It’s not silly at all.” Yongsun smiles. “I think it’s really sweet.”

“Thanks.” Moonbyul says softly. She looks at Yongsun as though she has something else to say, but she doesn’t.

“Byul!” A boyish-looking guy appears and hugs Moonbyul excitedly. “I can’t believe you’re here! How long has it been?”

“We’re on a business trip, Eric.” Moonbyul says despite the growing smile on her face.

“We’re? Oh hi, I see you’ve got company.” Eric walks over to Yongsun and extends a hand. “Eric Nam at your service. I used to be Byul’s client.”

“Client’s assistant.” Moonbyul corrected as Yongsun giggles in amusement over the two friends who obviously have polar opposite personalities.

“Yongsun. Byul is my boss.”

“Wow, you’re a big shot now, Byulie? I didn’t know you were this cool.” Eric teases his friend as he carries their luggage into his car.

“When you came out of your mum’s womb, did you come with a warning? Caution: very loud and obnoxious?” Moonbyul says.

“Did yours come with caution: dead inside and emotionally detached?” Eric retorts.

“Shut up and drive, Nam.” Moonbyul rolls her eyes and gets into the front passenger seat.

“Stop bossing me around or I’m going to start charging you.” Eric grins.

During the one-hour drive to their hotel, Yongsun learns a lot about Moonbyul’s past few years, thanks to Eric who wouldn’t stop talking despite Moonbyul’s loud protests for him to shut up.

Like how they were both just interns when they first met or when Eric had a crush on Soojung and Moonbyul gave him a black eye when she found out.

In a way, Yongsun feels like she’s journeying back to some parts of Moonbyul’s life that she’s missed out, even the ones that involved Soojung, but it’s better than nothing.

Eric drops off their bags in front of the hotel and waves them goodbye. “Get a good rest. I’ll pick you up at 8 for the best night of your stay here.

“Is Eric always this hyper?” Yongsun asks in amusement as they check in at the front desk.

“Believe it or not, he has mellowed a lot compared to before he moved here.” Moonbyul says.

“Why did he move though? Was it because of work or something else?” Yongsun stops when Moonbyul gives her a funny look. “What?”

“Are you interested in him?” Moonbyul raises a brow, lips curled into a smirk. 

Yongsun scoffs. The audacity.

They get into the lift with three other people and Yongsun waits for five seconds before turning to face Moonbyul and insists that she is not attracted to Eric. She knows she doesn’t have to explain to Moonbyul but for some reason, she feels that she does. And it’s even more infuriating to know that Moonbyul is finding the situation amusing.

“Relax.” Moonbyul tells her, suddenly hyper aware of the other people in the lift. “I was just pulling your leg. What, you think I don’t have a sense of humour?”

“You never did.” Yongsun mutters, half-aware of the impact of her words but letting them slip out, nevertheless.

Silence fills the lift once again until the doors part and they go opposite directions to their rooms, muttering ‘see you laters’ and agreeing to meet in the lobby at 7:45.

//

It’s 7.50 and still no sign of Yongsun at the lobby. Moonbyul tries calling the older girl, but her phone service once again fails her. Worried that something might have happened to Yongsun, Moonbyul makes her way back to their floor. But when she’s right in front of Yongsun’s door, she starts to wonder if she’s being too paranoid. Still, she presses the door bell.

“I’m sorry. I was going to call you but–” Yongsun appears from behind the door, red-faced.

“The phone signal , I know. I tried calling you too.” Moonbyul says, letting herself in. “So, are you okay?”

Yongsun looks at Moonbyul and closes her eyes before taking a deep breath. She opens them again when she looks visibly calmer. “I hate to ask you of this, but will you help zip me up?”

“That’s all?” Moonbyul asks, an eyebrow cocked in amusement. “I don’t see why not.”

“Oh thank god you’re a life saver.” Yongsun turns around in her black dress to let Moonbyul help, revealing her .

Moonbyul swallows a lump in without thinking. Suddenly Yongsun seems more grown up than ever.

“I didn’t know if it was appro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter